Tuesday, December 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6492, 2012-12-04

CONTESTANTS
Bryan Shilowich, a graduate student of neuroscience from Cambridge, Massachusetts
Jennifer North, an attorney from Jersey City, New Jersey
Jason Shore, a medical student from Plano, Texas (whose 4-day cash winnings total $85,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Our young champion here, Jason, wins in many different ways. He'll build up a great lead in Jeopardy! and Double Jeopardy! and then miss the Final Jeopardy! clue, but it doesn't matter, he's got so much money at the end of the game. He's been very impressive. But Jennifer and Bryan are young, bright, and eager to replace him. Let's see how it works out. Good luck to all three. Here we go with these categories. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DOUBLE "L" WORDS (4/5)
OREGON (5/5)
A BIT O' HONEY (4/5)
ALSO A SEA (5/5)
ITS REIGNING MEN (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you [*], you tell us the country they have ruled over.)
SOCCER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Bryan: 9 R, 1 W
Jennifer: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Jason had $1,800, Jennifer had $1,400, and Bryan was at $800. Jason made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

ITS REIGNING MEN $1000: Hercule Grimaldi,
Honore Grimaldi
(Jason: What is Italy?)
(Alex: No, but you're close. What is [*]? The Grimaldi family ruling in Monaco for many centuries.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bryan: $1,400
Jennifer: $1,400
Jason: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bryan Shilowich is a graduate student from Massachusetts who was once a gymnast. We had the Olympics this year. Everyone loved watching the gymnastics competition. When did you begin?

Bryan: I began at the age of 4 years old.

Alex: And why did you give it up?

Bryan: Well, I had surgery on my shoulder. I had rotator-cuff surgery at the end of high school--

Alex: Oh.

Bryan: And I didn't want to--when I was picking colleges, I didn't want to focus on gymnastics. It's a lot of work.

Alex: Yes, it is. You have to put in many, many hours. What was your favorite apparatus?

Bryan: I really liked the pommel horse. That was my favorite.

Alex: Yeah. That's tough, though.

Bryan: But they're all great.

Alex: Yeah, but the pommel horse--heartbreaks this past year.

Alex: Jennifer North is an attorney who spent the summer after graduating from college doing something that sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Jennifer: It really was. It was a--I would say it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I had an internship at the Bronx Zoo in the mammal department, and I basically got to be a zookeeper for 10 weeks.

Alex: Which animal did you develop a particular fondness for?

Jennifer: Um, I would say that my favorite was and probably still is the monkeys.

Alex: The monkeys? Yeah. Okay. They're a lot like us.

Alex: Jason Shore is a medical student who has won $85,000, and he already knows what he is going to use some of the money for, and that is?

Jason: Uh, when they auditioned--when I auditioned and they asked me, I said I would send my parents on a vacation to Italy, so I guess I better make good on that now.

Alex: Have they ever been to Italy?

Jason: No, they have not.

Alex: Are you going to let them come back?

Jason: Yes, yes.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE "L" WORDS $200: To plunder, or the loot that was plundered
(Alex: What is [*]? That's a double "L" word. Obviously too tough for the first clue.)
[Contestants laugh]

ITS REIGNING MEN $800: Fyodor I,
False Dmitry I

A BIT O' HONEY $1000: This liqueur is made from a secret recipe of herbs, spices, heather honey & aged Scotch whisky

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bryan: $4,600
Jason: $4,400
Jennifer: $3,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NUCLEAR ENERGY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OSCAR-WINNING ACTRESSES (4/5)
SUPREME COURT JUSTICES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PHOTOGRAPHERS (4/4)
WORLD AUTHORS (2/3)
"FOUR" LETTER WORDS (4/5) (Alex: But with a twist, because the word "four" will come up in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Jennifer: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Bryan: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Jason had $7,200, Jennifer had $3,800, and Bryan was at $4,600. Jason wagered $5,000.

NUCLEAR ENERGY $2000: The U.S. leads the world in operating nuclear reactors with 104, followed by this European country with 58
(Alex: [*], yes, indeed. They are great proponents of nuclear energy, nuclear power.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jason who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Jason had $14,200, Jennifer had $11,400, and Bryan was at $3,000. Jason wagered $2,000.

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $2000: After World War I this justice headed a delegation of American Zionists to a conference in London
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NUCLEAR ENERGY $1600: This independent agency of the U.S. government licenses & oversees the construction of reactors

OSCAR-WINNING ACTRESSES $1200: She won a supporting actress Oscar for her turn as the sassy Minny Jackson in "The Help"

"FOUR" LETTER WORDS $2000: "Bathroom" term for a person who makes false or pretentious claims
(Alex: That is a [*]. Bathroom term? [*]?)
[Alex cringes, audience laughs]
(Alex: Don't ask!)

WORLD AUTHORS $800: This "Thorn Birds" author established the department of neurophysiology at a hospital in Sydney, Australia

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $1200: A Reagan appointee, he has the most children of any justice on the current court with 9

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $1600: The portrait of this Chief Justice, also the first Republican governor of Ohio, once graced the $10,000 bill

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $17,000
Jennifer: $13,000
Bryan: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN ICONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Jason: Wager $9,001 to cover Jennifer.
Jennifer: You'll want to wager $4,001, and you'll win the game if Jason wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Bryan: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He has a Medal of Freedom, a Pulitzer Citation & membership in the Rock & Roll & Minnesota Music Halls of Fame

FINAL SCORES
Bryan: $4,600 - $4,590 = $10 (Who is Clapton) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jennifer: $13,000 - $3,800 = $9,200 (Who is Prince?) (New champion: $9,200)
Jason: $17,000 - $10,000 = $7,000 (Who is Prince?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $15,800, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: $13,000, 13 R, 0 W
Bryan: $4,600, 12 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 22/61 = .361
Jennifer: 13/58 = .224
Bryan: 12/58 = .207
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SOCCER $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew describes what's happening at a soccer field in Johannesburg, South Africa.) Soccer players' ability to bend the ball is shown in two types of this, named for where on the field it takes place - inswinging and outswinging

SOCCER $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew describes what's happening at a soccer field in Johannesburg, South Africa.) It's awarded after a foul by defenders, & stopping it at over 60 mph is one of sport's great challenges; the ball will generally go the way the shooter's plant foot is pointed

SOCCER $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew describes what's happening at a soccer field in Johannesburg, South Africa.) Graze the bottom of the ball on one side to make the ball curve around defenders, with a kick named for this fruit

ALSO A SEA $400: Victorious side in the U.S. Civil War
(Bryan: What is the Union?)
(Alex: Yes, [*] is the name of a sea, but there is no Union Sea--a lot of lakes and rivers and towns.)

ALSO A SEA $1000: This language is also called Gaelic or erse
(Alex: And there is an [*] Sea, of course.)

OREGON $600: Seen here, the Bonneville Dam spans this river between Oregon & Washington

A BIT O' HONEY $200: Honeybaked sells turkey, ribs & roasts as well as the original & "Authentic Honeybaked" this
(Alex: [*] is right, with less a minute to go.)

OREGON $1000: Named for a British admiral, it's the state's tallest mountain

OSCAR-WINNING ACTRESSES $2000: She won an Oscar for playing Hana, the nurse to "The English Patient"
(Bryan: Who is Thompson?)

"FOUR" LETTER WORDS $1200: It's slang for 50 cents
(Jason: What is four piece?)

WORLD AUTHORS $1200: During WWII, this author of "The Plague" joined the French resistance
[Jason stumbles over the pronunciation; Alex says the name with a French accent.]
(Jason: [Nodding] Mm-hm.)

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $800: This justice who served for 35 years shares his first two names with apostles

PHOTOGRAPHERS $1600: The photographs in this 1992 coffee-table book by Madonna were taken by Steven Meisel & members of his studio
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Monaco
pillage
Russia
Drambuie
France
(Louis) Brandeis
the Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Octavia Spencer
a four flusher
Colleen McCullough
Antonin Scalia
Salmon P. Chase
Bob Dylan
a corner kick
a penalty kick
a banana
the North
Irish
Columbia
ham
Hood
Juliette Binoche
four bits
(Albert) Camus
John Paul Stevens
Sex
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rough game for me. I don't think I've ever gotten 0/5 on a wordplay category before (Double L). Soccer also eluded me entirely. I couldn't even figure out what the hell $200 in Soccer was asking for; the grammar seemed so disjointed.

Blah blah blah, rock and roll, Minnesota, Bob Dylan, got it. How the hell was that a TS?
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

I joked to myself that someone would say Prince. But two people?

Glad the lady won. Champ was kinda "meh" to me.

"Game - blouses."
Last edited by Austin Powers on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, pillage is a noun, eh? Ok. Didn't know that.

Instaget for FJ.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Rough game for me. I don't think I've ever gotten 0/5 on a wordplay category before (Double L). Soccer also eluded me entirely. I couldn't even figure out what the hell $200 in Soccer was asking for; the grammar seemed so disjointed.

Blah blah blah, rock and roll, Minnesota, Bob Dylan, got it. How the hell was that a TS?
Yes, typical for the Clue Crew, they take all day to say basic stuff. I believe the question asking about a "penalty kick" was two minutes long.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Another instaget on FJ. Though I didn't realize Prince was from Minnesota, that might have given me pause...but not for long. Surprised it was a TS.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Austin Powers wrote:I joked to myself that someone would say Prince. But two people?
Three, she says sheepishly. I didn't think of him as a humanitarian, but I knew he was strongly tied to Minnesota. Forgot about Dylan, whoops.

Sad to see the Aggie go, but that game felt very off (and then my DVR didn't tape well anyway, lots of sound issues, so I skipped parts). Guessing I didn't miss much.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

The soccer category was a full video category, but the $800 clue messed up so they took a long break and had to add in a new clue and change the category name during commercial. Some of the cool stuff you see during taping.

During her briefing, Maggie was talking about how much she loved Dylan and how he should be a clue. I knew it as soon as I saw Minnesota. Poetic justice, I guess, that nobody got it.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I seemed to have sound issues as well, and I used a vhs. Couldn't tell if it was my tape or the show. Oh, and Dylan was the instaget of instagets. As TPH said, "Rock N Roll, Minnesota, bla bla bla." Although I did think about Prince for a split second.

Sorry to see Jason go. Nothing against the lady who won, but I always like seeing people from the "Metroplex" do well. :D
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I used to be the film buyer for what were then Cineplex Odeon theaters in Minneapolis, and Prince often rented our largest theater for private midnight screenings with his friends. The Purple One and his posse played a little game in which everyone screamed whenever the film's title was uttered in dialogue. Nevertheless...

Dylan was the obvious choice for this FJ.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

During her briefing, Maggie was talking about how much she loved Dylan and how he should be a clue. I knew it as soon as I saw Minnesota. Poetic justice, I guess, that nobody got it.
Yeah, I was thinking that watching that be a TS must have driven Maggie crazy.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Another Prince here. I'll admit I didn't really think he fit all those criteria, but I couldn't think of anyone else from Minnesota. (Well, Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Garrison Keillor, but pretty sure they weren't it either.) If I'd ever had a clue Bob Dylan was from Minnesota it would've helped.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

No idea Dylan was from Minnesota, so I never was going to pull that one out. I'll never get the appeal of Dylan, but that's unrelated to the games.

One of the challenges sounded like Leonard from BBT.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Wow, I was not expecting that FJ to be a triple-stumper. Insta-get for me.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

debramc wrote:Another Prince here. I'll admit I didn't really think he fit all those criteria, but I couldn't think of anyone else from Minnesota. (Well, Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Garrison Keillor, but pretty sure they weren't it either.) If I'd ever had a clue Bob Dylan was from Minnesota it would've helped.
And here I was surprised to find thaat Eric Clapton is from there.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:So, pillage is a noun, eh? Ok. Didn't know that.
Instaget for FJ.
Ditto squared.
Almost didn't get "pillage" because of that, but it fit one part so well.
Andromus wrote: I didn't realize Prince was from Minnesota, that might have given me pause
Check out the movie Purple Rain. I was surprised at how much I liked it!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed the corner kick because the Clue Crew chick was blocking my view of the goal and I couldn't tell they were in the corner.

I didn't know Dylan was from Minnesota, so no chance for me. Went with Prince, though I don't think of him as an icon.

The guy on the end would have kicked himself if he had gotten FJ right and lost by not going all in.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Upon seeing the category, I said to myself, if it's a music icon, it should be a piece of cake. Then the clue was revealed and at first glance, I wasn't sure.

But Minnesota clinched it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Fishercat wrote:One of the challenges sounded like Leonard from BBT.
Hey, I noticed that too.