Thursday, December 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6509, 2012-12-27

CONTESTANTS
Allen Park, a refugee affairs officer from Washington, D.C.
Nichole Mancone, a college registrar from Providence, Rhode Island
Kris Hamilton, a computer technician from Dublin, Ohio (whose 3-day cash winnings total $60,301)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much. And welcome. Just in case you've been so busy this week with holiday activities and are just tuning us in for the first time, let me tell you about our champion, Kris. He's turned two of his games into runaways. He has been most impressive. Witness the $60,000 in winnings. So, Nichole and Allen, you're gonna have to perform extremely well today to replace him. But good luck to all of you. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round is the first round of play, and these are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANAGRAMMED AMERICA (4/5)
SCHOOLING AROUND (4/5)
YOUR CHOICE OF 3 (4/5)
HIGH SCORERS (4/5)
IRAN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ENDS IN "Y" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kris: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Allen: 8 R, 1 W
Nichole: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kris found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Kris had $2,000, Nichole had $1,000, and Allen was at $800. Kris made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

IRAN $800: These 3 English words translate the phrase written 11 times on both the green & red stripes on Iran's flag
(Alex: [*], Allāhu Akbar.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kris: $5,800
Allen: $800
Nichole: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Allen Park is from Washington, D.C., who once worked in Turkmenistan?

Allen: Yes, I was a Peace Corps volunteer.

Alex: I see. But you had an interesting situation develop because the child you were teaching...?

Allen: Was my KGB minder's kid.

Alex: And did this help, uh, for good relations between you and the KGB minder?

Allen: Uh...

Alex: You had a friend.

Alex: Nichole Mancone from Providence, Rhode Island. In high school, partners in a lab class with somebody who's a regular on television?

Nichole: Yes.

Alex: Every day.

Nichole: My biology-lab class partner was Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

Alex: Well.

Nichole: Which was a lot of fun. She was very sweet.

Alex: Very sweet.

Nichole: Mm-hmm.

Alex: And you guys got together and dissected what?

Nichole: A pig. His name was Hamlet.

Alex: Ohh.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. I won't ask any more questions about that.

Alex: Kris Hamilton. We had a clue a little while ago. You can up with the correct response regarding Craig Alexander, who won that Ironman Triathlon in eight hours and change. Kelly Miyahara, one of our Clue Crew members does the Ironman Triathlon, and she did it in 13 hours. Have you done the triathlon?

Kris: I have no discernable physical talents, Alex.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Let's end the conversation right there, and you make a selection.
I don't want to talk to somebody who's not athletic. Go ahead.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YOUR CHOICE OF 3 $1000: In myth Orpheus used music to charm this 3-headed hound into submission
(Nichole: What is Ceberus?)
(Alex: Nichole, you left out one important letter.
It's a consonant.
You can't buy consonants, only vowels. It's [*].)

SCHOOLING AROUND $1000: Along with "A" levels, these alphabetic tests were once common for British teens but were phased out in the 1980s

HIGH SCORERS $400: His 717 NHL goals included a few against his brother, goalie Tony Esposito
(Kris: Who is Wayne Gretzky?)
(Allen: Who is Jimmy Esposito?)
(Alex: Who was [*]. How quickly they forget.)

ANAGRAMMED AMERICA $1000: The state of Not Racial Horn
(Alex: And that anagrams to the state of [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kris: $8,000
Allen: $3,800
Nichole: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SPEED WRITING (3/5)
BEVERAGE BRANDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THEIR ALBUM ROCKS! (4/5)
FAMILIAR PHRASES (5/5)
"OF" MEN (3/5)
& MICE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kris: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Nichole: 9 R, 0 W
Allen: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kris snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Kris had $13,200, Nichole had $5,000, and Allen was at $4,200. Kris wagered $3,100.

BEVERAGE BRANDS $1200: Drops of good is a community project of this coffee brand
(Alex: which is good to the last drop. You're right.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Allen who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Kris had $17,900, Nichole had $7,800, and Allen was at $7,000. Allen wagered $1,000.

& MICE $1200: Perhaps the smallest mouse is this one of sub-Saharan Africa, also a term for small peoples in the region

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"OF" MEN $1200: Title Shakespearean misanthrope & cave-dweller

"OF" MEN $2000: This Dutchman landed in England November 5, 1688

SPEED WRITING $1600: This "Perry Mason" author wrote "The Case of the Velvet Claws" in 3 1/2 days while working as a lawyer

SPEED WRITING $2000: During one stretch in his career, this Scotsman who lived from 1771 to 1832 wrote 14 novels in 7 years

& MICE $1600: This kind of mouse gets its name from cheek pouches in which it stores food

THEIR ALBUM ROCKS! $2000: "The Black Parade" (2006)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kris: $19,100
Nichole: $10,600
Allen: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FIGHTING MONARCHS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Kris: Wager $2,101 to cover Nichole.
Nichole: You have the hope of surpassing Kris if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,401 to force Kris to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Allen.
Allen: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $9,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen here is a suit of armor worn by this monarch at the siege of Boulogne in 1544 when he was 53

FINAL SCORES
Allen: $10,000 - $10,000 = $0 (Who is Charles I?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Nichole: $10,600 + $10,500 = $21,100 (Who is Henry VIII) (New champion: $21,100)
Kris: $19,100 - $2,111 = $16,989 (Who is Louis 14) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: Obviously not a 42 regular, more like a portly tall. Let's see if you were able to identify the monarch.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kris: $16,000, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Nichole: $10,600, 16 R, 3 W
Allen: $10,200, 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Kris: 20/60 = .333
Nichole: 17/58 = .293
Allen: 14/59 = .237
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ENDS IN "Y" $1000: From the Greek for "discourse", it's an inspirational saying or a tedious moralizing lecture
(Nichole: What is a litany?)

IRAN $600: Iran's lowest elevation is 92 feet below sea level along this "sea" on the country's northern border
(Nichole: What is the Black Sea?)

SCHOOLING AROUND $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a rainbow on a monitor.) Used to remember the order of the colors in the visible spectrum, "Richard of York Gave Battle in Vain" is one of these devices that aids memory

BEVERAGE BRANDS $1600: The tropical character seen here offers up this brand

CORRECT RESPONSES
"God Is Great"
Cerberus
O-levels
Phil Esposito
North Carolina
Maxwell House
pygmes
Timon of Athens
William of Orange
Erle Stanley Gardner
Sir Walter Scott
pocket mouse
My Chemical Romance
Henry VIII
homily
the Caspian Sea
a mnemonic device
Hawaiian Punch
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Had 18 right in the Jeopardy round, including a sweep of the high scorers category. I missed some in here and DJ I should have gotten. Only 5 right in DJ to give me 23 right today. I hope I can crack 30 one day. I was off to a good start after the first round.

I knew "God is Great" is on the flag of Iraq but didn't know it was on Iran also.

For FJ, I just guessed Philip II of Spain, though I had no idea.

Where does Kris rank for the Tournament of Champions standings?
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

Can't believe this FJ wasn't a triple-getter. I thought the size and time period would make it an instaget.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

thenextofken wrote:Can't believe this FJ wasn't a triple-getter. I thought the size and time period would make it an instaget.
Yeah, I was nervous when the clue said "suit of armor", but the gut on that tin can made the answer pretty obvious to me.

That howling you might've heard was me, when Allen bet 1000 on that DD when down 11K...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Wow. With Kris's buzzer speed I figured he was on his way to five wins.

Not a very tough FJ. Of course most people don't know their dates, and the TS on William of Orange earlier proved portentous. My guess is that Kris read the French city to imply a French king.

Kris's buzzer seemed a little off early on. That made the difference, as the contestants left quite a bit of Trash on the board, especially in the bottom row.

Did Kris say just "triathlon" on the Ironman question?

The "o levels" question is one of the more obscure questions recently.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Kris finishes in 15th place among regular contestants in the 2011-13 ToC standings, so he won't be participating in the ToC.

YOU CAN'T BUY CONSONANTS!! ONLY VOWELS!! :o
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Wheel tonight talked about their partnership with Maxwell House's Rebuilding Together program, where WHeel donates $2500 to said charity when the bonus round is won, and one of the DD's in tonight's DJ! round is about the coffee brand that does the "Drops of GOod" program
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

My scream at the screen: Erle Stanley Gardner.
I mean, seriously?

FJ was pretty easy-- fat king? And Henry VIII is about right time frame.
xxaaaxx wrote:That howling you might've heard was me, when Allen bet 1000 on that DD when down 11K...
We made a great duet then.

"...his brother, Tony Esposito."
Ummm... who is Wayne Gretzy?
I'll tell you who he's NOT: the brother of anyone named "Esposito."

Ran the anagrams category easily.
elijahjt
Contributor

Post by elijahjt »

Perhaps I'm being a bit too picky, but while "God is great" sounds better, I believe the correct translation of Allahu akbar is "God is greater". "God is great" would be Allahu kabeer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

elijahjt wrote:Perhaps I'm being a bit too picky, but while "God is great" sounds better, I believe the correct translation of Allahu akbar is "God is greater". "God is great" would be Allahu kabeer.
I think it's the traditional English translation of "Allahu akbar" - it comes up a fair bit in my uber-wheelhouses of flags and anthems, and I've never seen it translated as anything but "God is great".

(And doing a bit of research on the web, it seems like your initial assertion is indeed correct (and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn something I would not have otherwise), but the answer as given isn't wrong, as it's the traditional translation, close enough for non-Arabic speaking non-Muslims.)

Judges: For $800 in "High Scores" would "Iron Man Triathlon" be too specific and negged? (EDIT: Apologies to Austin Powers, completely missed your previous comment)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leander

Post by Leander »

My rule of thumb on Jeopardy monarchy questions is when in doubt, start with British monarchs. The dates made it pretty obvious it was Henry the 8th.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

JFanForever wrote:Had 18 right in the Jeopardy round, including a sweep of the high scorers category. I missed some in here and DJ I should have gotten. Only 5 right in DJ to give me 23 right today. I hope I can crack 30 one day. I was off to a good start after the first round.
You're not the only one hoping to be any good at Jeopardy! one day :P

I talked to Mom about the Alex's consonant remark, and I told her I wasn't aware of any rule that the consonants had to be right. If I were judge, if you didn't change the word's meaning and I understood what you meant, I'd give it to you. I wouldn't be stricter on consonants than vowels. (This is mostly a lack of understanding about technicalities, not a complaint about the judging—I think the ruling was fair.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

StrangerCoug wrote:I talked to Mom about the Alex's consonant remark, and I told her I wasn't aware of any rule that the consonants had to be right. If I were judge, if you didn't change the word's meaning and I understood what you meant, I'd give it to you. I wouldn't be stricter on consonants than vowels. (This is mostly a lack of understanding about technicalities, not a complaint about the judging—I think the ruling was fair.)
Which is why you aren't a judge. Judges on Jeopardy!, as do judges in the legal system, work on precedent. Precedent is, as Alex said, that consonant sounds must be accurate, and no syllables are to be added.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

As I said, I am not calling the ruling into question. I am trying to understand why Alex said what he did.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Did Kris say just "triathlon" on the Ironman question?
I think so. Why?
Most definitely. Is there any reason anyone outside the UK would have any chance at this?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Somehow lost track of time and forgot to turn it on. Thanks to bpmod for hooking me up.

Ran "Choice of 3", picking up the Lach Trash on Cerberus… but carefully, as I was trying not to say the name of a notorious comic book aardvark.

Kangaroo and armadillo take care of two of my favorite animals. I expect otter and bat clues tomorrow to take care of two more.

Missed only "homily" in Ends in "Y". Didn't realize it had a meaning besides "what everyone else but Catholics calls a sermon".

What the bleep was that "red shirt" clue talking about (School for $600)? I have never heard either meaning of that term. Agree with "O Level" being super obscure.

Rio Grande was my only miss in Anagrammed America since I thought they'd all be cities, and was trying to figure out what city would border a waterway and have those letters in it. I'm surprised North Carolina was a TS, especially since they said it'd be a State.

0/5 in High Score, Speed Writing, and "Of" Men.

On Writing for $400, how are we supposed to know that author writes romance novels and not something else?

"Of" Men totally threw me off since I was expecting it to be names with "Of" in them (e.g. Offenbach), not X of Y names. That, and my having not seen any form of Robin Hood in ages, led to me missing Sheriff of Nottingham. I've heard the name Joseph of Arimathea once, but had no idea where he was in the Bible.

In Beverages, I knew Vita Coco because I drink the stuff, I knew Maxwell House because of their constant plugs on Wheel, and I didn't know the Bloody Mary mix because I don't understand why Jeopardy! has to have a clue on booze in every freaking episode.

Out of all the albums, My Chemical Romance was my only get, as I'd seen it mentioned on TV Tropes. The first 3 were just plain NHOI, and $1600 was also one I'd seen named on TV Tropes, but couldn't remember the artist.

Not even a guess on FJ!
xxaaaxx wrote:Yeah, I was nervous when the clue said "suit of armor", but the gut on that tin can made the answer pretty obvious to me.
There was a gut on that? It doesn't look remotely "fat" to me. Even if I did picture it as fat, I still wouldn't have had the remotest of ideas.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Did Kris say just "triathlon" on the Ironman question?
I think so. Why?
I'd have to see the wording, but it seemed to me that, by giving the times of Craig Alexander, it was asking for a specific event. Unless it asked for a "kind" of event. Because, really, why throw out there, without giving the "Ironman" part, the winner, with times, of the last three Ironman triathlons unless you wanted that event as the answer?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:On Writing for $400, how are we supposed to know that author writes romance novels and not something else?
Because of the prodigious quantity. That's how romance novels work. They all have basically the same plot, established by a text "mask." Then the writer runs a "fill-in" app, to insert characters names, places, and eras into various blanks throughout. ;)
Think of it as a country song without a melody. :lol:
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
Most definitely. Is there any reason anyone outside the UK would have any chance at this?
Now, I'm not one who ever gets obscure answers, and I was yelling at the TV for that one and surprised it was a TS. I guess it just exemplifies that "it's easy if you know it." I'm not sure, but I think I may have learned it from Harry Potter. Hogwarts is analogous to the English education system. In the book, the wizards take O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s, which are equivalent to O- and A-levels in the English system.