Friday, January 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6530, 2013-01-25

CONTESTANTS
Sean Link, a non-profit communications co-ordinator originally from Terryville, Connecticut
Lauren Thomas, a server originally from Owensboro, Kentucky
Joshua Brakhage, a TV news producer originally from South Coffeyville, Oklahoma (whose 2-day cash winnings total $40,006)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Do the math, folks. $40,006 divided by two, averaging $20,003 per win. Lauren and Sean, good luck to you today. Pick up those signaling devices. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round begins now as we reveal these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DEM BONES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GEOGRAPHIC BANDS (5/5)
AT THE WEBSITE OF THE CABINET DEPT. (5/5)
EUROPEAN HISTORY (4/5)
"ITCH"Y (5/5)
SCRATCHY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joshua: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Lauren: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Sean: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sean: $3,200
Joshua: $2,200
Lauren: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Although he's from Connecticut, Sean link has spent time in a number of other countries. You lived in Morocco for a while, and that was a rather unusual experience for you. Tell me about it.

Sean: It was. I actually lived there for about four months on a study-abroad program with a host family. So we were living in the old part of the city with families, and at one point, of course, we had a holiday--a very big holiday in Morocco, which commemorates Abraham and Isaac. And every family brings in a sheep. So I found a sheep one day in our living room. Of course, that sheep quickly ended up on the dinner table shortly after.

Alex: Aha, okay.

Sean: Yeah.

Alex: Lauren Thomas is from Kentucky. And she is a bourbon fan, but not a-a heavy drinker.

Lauren: No.

Alex: She uses the bourbon in different ways.

Lauren: [Caught off-guard; Alex probably botched the facts of her story; trying her best to recover] Yeah. I've visited a couple of different distilleries. Uh, it's always nice to relax at the end of the night with a good bourbon cocktail. Yeah.

Alex: But what about recipes for different food things that you could prepare using bourbon? Have you delved into that at all?

Lauren: Not yet. I'm not the best cook, so it would probably end badly.

Alex: Oh, okay. Something to look forward to, then.

Alex: Joshua Brakhage from South Coffeyville, Oklahoma. In order to prepare for his appearance on our program, he worked out not with people in a TV newsroom but with sixth-graders?

Joshua: Sixth-graders on a camping trip. I brought along a book of trivia and asked if they could quiz me. Of course, every time I got a question wrong, they said, "Oh, we knew that."

Alex: Mm-hm.

Joshua: They asked, "What does the L. in Samuel L. Jackson's name stand for?" And I had no idea, but they said, "It's Leroy--we knew that." I said, "How'd you know that?" They said, "In fourth grade, we studied the presidents."

[Laughter]

Alex: [Laughing] Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joshua found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Joshua had $5,600, Lauren had $3,400, and Sean was at $4,600. Joshua wagered $1,400.

DEM BONES $600: Because it supports the head, the topmost vertebra is called this, also the name of a mythical giant

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EUROPEAN HISTORY $600: In 1653 he dismissed the "Long Parliament" saying "Be gone, you rogues. You have sat long enough"
(Lauren: Who is Charles?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joshua: $7,800
Sean: $5,600
Lauren: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
small state capitals (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHAT'S ON TV? (4/5)
NAME THE POET (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THAT'S A CLOWN QUESTION, BRO (4/5)
A HOUSE IN LONDON (3/5)
A, B, C, D, E & THAT'S ALL (4/5) (Alex: Only those letters have possibilities as coming up in the final correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joshua: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lauren: 5 R, 1 W
Sean: 6 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joshua snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Joshua had $10,600, Lauren had $3,800, and Sean was at $6,400. Joshua wagered $4,400.

small state capitals $2000: The completion of the DuPont Highway in 1924 was a catalyst in this capital's growth
(Joshua: What is Boise?)
(Alex: [*] and DuPont closely associated.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sean who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Joshua had $13,800, Lauren had $4,600, and Sean was at $8,000. Sean wagered $2,000.

NAME THE POET $1200: "A tree that may in summer wear a nest of robins in her hair"
(Sean: Who is Keats?)
(Alex: No. The poem is "Trees", and the poet is [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT'S ON TV? $2000: Jennifer Love Hewitt plays a mom who works at that kind of massage parlor on this steamy Lifetime series

A, B, C, D, E & THAT'S ALL $2000: A work of classical Icelandic poetry

NAME THE POET $1600: "I can read his righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps: his day is marching on"
(Alex: "Glory, glory, hallelujah"--[*].)

THAT'S A CLOWN QUESTION, BRO $1600: "Send In The Clowns" is from 1973's "A Little Night Music" by this legendary Broadway songwriter
(Sean: Who is Leonard Bernstein?)

A HOUSE IN LONDON $400: Fitzroy House, a fine 1791 mansion in this style named for the kings of the time, is now devoted to L. Ron Hubbard
(Lauren: What is Hanover?)
(Alex: It's in the [*] style for all the Georges.)

A HOUSE IN LONDON $1200: Apsley House, home of this duke & general, is known as "Number One London"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joshua: $14,600
Lauren: $9,800
Sean: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSICAL THEATRE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Joshua: Wager $5,001 to cover Lauren.
Lauren: You ought to wager to cover Sean, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $9,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,400 (to shut out Sean) or less than $200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Sean). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Joshua.
Sean: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $2,000, you need to bet either $2,201, and play for a win if Lauren tries to two-thirds Joshua, or bet at least $7,001 to cover Joshua's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $7,600 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before this show hit Broadway in 1964, one of its working titles was "The Luckiest People"

FINAL SCORES
Sean: $7,600 - $2,000 = $5,600 (What is Yentl) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lauren: $9,800 - $9,799 = $1 (What is ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joshua: $14,600 - $5,001 = $9,599 (What is The Rose?) (3-day champion: $49,605)
(Alex: Who are the luckiest people? What Broadway show?)
(Alex: "People, people who need people, are the luckiest people in the world." That's from [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joshua: $18,200, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lauren: $9,800, 14 R, 3 W
Sean: $9,600, 15 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $37,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Joshua: 22/60 = .367
Sean: 15/59 = .254
Lauren: 14/58 = .241
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AT THE WEBSITE OF THE CABINET DEPT. $200: On July 11, 2012 2 of the 3 "Top Issues" at this department's site were simply "Iraq" & "Afghanistan"
(Sean: What is the Department of State?)

EUROPEAN HISTORY $400: In 1966 Italy's Arno River flooded, damaging many of this city's art treasures, among them Donatello's "Magdalen"
(Lauren: What is Venice?)

EUROPEAN HISTORY $800: His courageous union leadership during the 1980s helped bring freedom to millions

SCRATCHY $200: Scratching while playing pool generally means sinking this ball--oops
(Sean: What is the eight ball?)

DEM BONES $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical diagram on the monitor.) When you rest your hand on your hip, you can feel this broad, flat bone that's also the Latin name for ancient Troy

WHAT'S ON TV? $400: Christina's got "The Voice"; Kelly Clarkson is on this singing competition where it takes 2
(Sean: What is Duet?)
(Alex: That's it.)
(Sean: [Selecting] Um...)
(Alex: [Apparently getting a signal from the judges] No...)
(Alex: I didn't hear Sean drop the "S.")

NAME THE POET $400: "'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, 'tapping at my chamber door--only this, and nothing more'"
(Alex: [*], "The Raven".)

THAT'S A CLOWN QUESTION, BRO $1200: The 1904-06 Rose Period of this painter included the use of masked clown characters popular in Commedia dell'Arte
(Alex: He's the painter.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Atlas
Oliver Cromwell
Dover, Delaware
Joyce Kilmer
The Client List
an edda
Julia Ward Howe
Stephen Sondheim
Georgian
the Duke of Wellington
Funny Girl
the Defense Department
Florence
Lech Wałęsa
the cue ball
the ilium
Duets
(Edgar Allan) Poe
Picasso
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Musical Theatre
Before this show hit Broadway in 1964, one of its working titles was "The Luckiest People".

Spoiler
What is Funny Girl? Sean said Yentl; Lauren had no guess; Joshua said The Rose.
Joshua Brakhage: $14,600-$5,001=$9,599...now a 3-day champion with $49,605
Lauren Thomas: $9,800-$9,799=$1
Sean Link: $7,600-$2,000=$5,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

That was one of those FJ!s where I went "Oh good, one of my wheelhouses!" and then saw the clue and went "Ummmmm..."

It looks like we could get a last-minute TOCer on Monday, but I'm still on the fence.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

lisa0012 wrote:That was one of those FJ!s where I went "Oh good, one of my wheelhouses!" and then saw the clue and went "Ummmmm..."
You and me both! Well, I didn't go "Ummmmm...". I went, "OK, the song 'People', Barbra Streisand... 'On a Clear Day You Can See Forever'? 'Funny Girl'? 'On a Clear Day'." Ack!

On a Clear Day was in a similar time frame (opened in 1965) but Streisand was only in the film, not in the stage musical.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Dem Bones: 4/5 (negged $1000)
Geographic Bands: 5/5
At the Website of the Cabinet Dept.: 3/5 (negged $200, $600)
European History: 5/5
"Itch"y: 4/5 (clammed $800, so embarrassed)
Scratchy: 4/5 (clammed $1000)

small state capitals: 5/5
What's on TV?: 3/5 (clammed $200, $1000)
Name the Poet: 4/5 (clammed $600)
That's A Clown Question, Bro: 5/5
A House in London: 3/5 (negged $1200, clammed $1600)
A,B,C,D,E and that's all: 5/5

FJ! Musical Theatre: :( (I got as far as "what the fuck is 'people who need people are the luckiest people in the world' from?!!?")
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Cabinet Departments and European History. I thought the mass killer in Norway was way undervalued, whereas Crete was way overvalued.

Ran "Itch" and Geographical Bands.

Also 0/5 in London and TV. I've never heard of ANY of the shows in that TV category.

4/5 in Small State Capitals (missed only Dover). Surprised myself by pulling out Julia Ward Howe (although I came dangerously close to conflating her with Henry Ward Beecher) and surprised myself again with William Carlos Williams.

Not a guess on FJ!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I have never seen "Funny Girl," in any form, but I just felt like it had to be it. The song was quoting "People," that's a Streisand standard, I seem to think it IS from "Funny Girl," and that's the perfect date for the start of Streisand being inflicted upon the American public. I toyed with something related to luck - like "Guys and Dolls" - but I also knew that the year was wrong for it. So "Funny Girl" it was.

The contestants really struggled with the DJ round - not a lot of fun to watch but they got through it.

Off the subject, but i think the DD questions lately have been really well done - reasonably intuitive but not obvious.

Had I been on the show with money to burn, it would have been worth $2000 for me to answer "Happy Endings" on the Jennifer Love Hewitt as whorin' masseuse question.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

lisa0012 wrote:That was one of those FJ!s where I went "Oh good, one of my wheelhouses!" and then saw the clue and went "Ummmmm..."

It looks like we could get a last-minute TOCer on Monday, but I'm still on the fence.
He'd need a $12397 or more win on MOnday and presumably a loss on Tuesday to make the TofC. $100K Pyramid in 1985-88 and in 1991 did allow a few people who qualified for the $100K tourney within a couple of days before the tourney began the chance to return to resume their regular championship reign after the $100K tourney was over. However, none of those champions actually won the $100K tourney. No one ever managed to qualify for two $100K tourneys. I'm guessing J! would hold this champion till the next TofC if he still is winning on Tuesday.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

My reaction to the category was pretty much the exact opposite. However, having a limited knowledge of musical theater was better for me in this case.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote: I'm guessing J! would hold this champion till the next TofC if he still is winning on Tuesday.
If he wins on Tuesday, he's not eligible for this ToC.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

NoName84 wrote:
My reaction to the category was pretty much the exact opposite. However, having a limited knowledge of musical theater was better for me in this case.
And the second misspelling of the category...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Isn't it considered a scratch when you knock the 8-ball in at the wrong time?

Went with The Fantasticks ... didn't know Funny Girl had been a play.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I knew the song, but didn't know it was Streisand, so I didn't have much chance. I guessed Camelot, and was only off by 4 years (1960), but in hindsight that wasn't a very good guess, since I should have known that Camelot had to come out before JFK's death, since his Presidency was frequently called by that name. That wouldn't make much sense if the musical didn't open until 1964.

I'm guessing that with the Yentl guess, Sean must have known that it was a Streisand song, but not known what musical it came from.

I might have won this game from Lauren's position, as she was just barely within 2/3rds of Joshua's score, so I would have strongly considering a wager of $200 or less, in order to win on a triple stumper. Musical Theatre would not be a category I consider a strong suit, so it would probably be more likely that we all miss it than for Joshua to miss and I get it right.

Is there any particular reason why they wouldn't have just called this category Broadway Musicals instead? There's no difference between Broadway Musicals and Musical Theatre, is there? Well, I guess musicals that aren't shown on Broadway would belong to one group and not the other, but there probably aren't too many of those that would ever be the subject of an FJ clue. I wonder if anyone would get a bit thrown by the use of one or the other of those terms as the name of a category.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:Isn't it considered a scratch when you knock the 8-ball in at the wrong time?
In most flavours of the game, knocking the 8-ball in out of turn is the end of the game. Scatching results in a penalty of some sort, not a loss.

Brian

alamble

Post by alamble »

bpmod wrote:
alietr wrote:Isn't it considered a scratch when you knock the 8-ball in at the wrong time?
In most flavours of the game, knocking the 8-ball in out of turn is the end of the game. Scatching results in a penalty of some sort, not a loss.

Brian
Scratching ends your turn and returns any balls you might have sunk on that shot back to the table.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
NoName84 wrote:
And the second misspelling of the category...

Brian
It looks to me like musical is spelled correctly.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:I'm guessing that with the Yentl guess, Sean must have known that it was a Streisand song, but not known what musical it came from.
That's my guess.
jeff6286 wrote:Is there any particular reason why they wouldn't have just called this category Broadway Musicals instead? There's no difference between Broadway Musicals and Musical Theatre, is there? Well, I guess musicals that aren't shown on Broadway would belong to one group and not the other, but there probably aren't too many of those that would ever be the subject of an FJ clue. I wonder if anyone would get a bit thrown by the use of one or the other of those terms as the name of a category.
I haven't looked it up, but "before it hit Broadway" implies that the show played somewhere else prior to being on Broadway. I think the spelling of the category was a clue: England, perhaps?

And, as usual, I could be completely off-base.

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm curious who got "Edda" (the last clue in "ABCDE") and who didn't, I have a sneaky feeling that the accomplished cruciverbalists in our midst were the ones that got it, "edda" just seems to be a perfect crossword word.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

bpmod wrote: I haven't looked it up, but "before it hit Broadway" implies that the show played somewhere else prior to being on Broadway. I think the spelling of the category was a clue: England, perhaps?

And, as usual, I could be completely off-base.

Brian
In those days, Broadway shows, instead of having previews in their theater in NY, would play at out-of-town theaters (Boston, Philadelphia, New Haven, etc.) while the show was still a work-in-progress. Titles could change, songs were dropped and added.