Friday, February 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6545, 2013-02-15

2013 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
David Gard, a retail horticulturalist from Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Monica Thieu, a psychology student from Dallas, Texas
Jason Keller, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We are about to reach the halfway point in our quarterfinal matches in this year's Tournament of Champions. Jason, Monica, and David, good to see you again. Welcome back to the show, and good luck, also. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And here are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PORTU-GALS & GUYS (5/5)
GENETICS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
3 Ls (5/5)
TONY-WINNING MUSICALS IN OTHER WORDS (5/5)
AN IMPORTANT QUESTION (4/5) (Alex: And that question, I suppose, is ... )
WHO WANTS A SANDWICH? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Monica: 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
David: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $4,600
Monica: $1,800
David: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: How does one celebrate being a big winner on Jeopardy!? Let's find out. David Gard from Massachusetts, how did you celebrate?

David: Well, my mother had recently moved into a new retirement community, so we staged a Jeopardy! event my first evening there. I stood on the stage, did a Q&A for them all. Then the show played. My mother said it was the best-attended event of the season.

Alex: Good for you and good for her. That made her very happy.

Alex: Monica Thieu from Dallas--a psychology student who was invited to your college's annual what?

Monica: Honors banquet. It's typically a thing for scholarship winners and people who win prestigious internships, but they decided, "Hey, Jeopardy! is pretty cool."

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Monica: So, I don't know if you will remember, but I tried to extend my invitation to you as the guest of honor...

Alex: And I was unavailable, but you did put a reel together, right?

Monica: I did. They had me put a highlight reel together. And I tried to throw in most of my wins and then a couple of my wrong answers, too, 'cause I am human, just like everyone else.

[Laughter]

Alex: You put in some of your wrong answers? Some of your mistakes? I never allow them to put in my mistakes.

[Laughter]

Alex: Never. And I make a lot of them.

Alex: Jason Keller, what about you? You did something interesting. You took your check--which you received from us--and you scanned it?

Jason: Yes, I did. And I got my check just before the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament. I went to the tournament. And I ended up winning a prize, so I got another check from Will Shortz. And I scanned that in. And those two images of checks are occupying the same frame.

Alex: Okay, and how much did you win on the crossword tournament?

Jason: $25.

[Laughter]

Alex: And how much did you win on Jeopardy!?

Jason: About $215,000.

Alex: Okay. Yeah. Just the same, you know? Just the same. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Monica found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Jason had $4,600, Monica had $1,800, and David was at $400. Monica made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

GENETICS $600: In 1986 the U.S. issued the first patent on a plant produced through genetic engineering, a hybrid of this grain
(Monica: Oh, I'm so excited, Alex.
I'm gonna make it a True Daily Double!)
(Alex: All right.
It doesn't take much to get you excited, obviously.)
[Monica "mock pouts"]
Monica: What is wheat?

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AN IMPORTANT QUESTION $1000: In "As You Like It", Shakespeare quoted this contemporary's "who ever loved that loved not at first sight?"
Monica: Who is Blake?

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $8,800
David: $2,400
Monica: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NAME THE COMPOSER (4/5) (Alex: ...and each of the clues will be delivered by maverick classical violinist Gilles Apap.)
WHO'S YOUR MAMA? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AMERICAN HISTORY (2/5)
LAKES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NATURAL SYMBOLS (4/5)
LET'S MAKE THEM SCOTTISH (5/5) (Alex: And each correct response will begin with the letters M-A-C, as in "Mac.")

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Monica: 9 R, 1 W
David: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jason had $10,000, Monica had $1,400, and David was at $4,000. Jason wagered $4,000.

LAKES $1600: To create this lake in the 1960s, historical ruins such as Abu Simbel were moved to higher ground

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jason who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Jason had $17,600, Monica had $3,000, and David was at $2,000. Jason wagered $5,400.

WHO'S YOUR MAMA? $1200: In a 1779 battle in the North Sea, he captured the Serapis, a British Man-of-War

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LAKES $2000: This lake that has a female name lies in an old glacial basin between Germany, Austria & Switzerland
(David: What is Lake Louise?)

NAME THE COMPOSER $800: (Gilles Apap delivers the clue)
He was prolific in many ways

(Gilles plays one of his pieces)
(Alex: And we thank Gilles for those entertaining clues)

NATURAL SYMBOLS $2000: Aptly, this flower is the symbol of Canada's Alzheimer Society

AMERICAN HISTORY $1200: Actress Mamie Gummer

AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: Models Elizabeth & Georgia May Jagger
(Monica: Who is ... I don't know)

(David: Who is Bianca Jagger?)

AMERICAN HISTORY $2000: Dakota Johnson of TV's "Ben and Kate"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $28,200 (lock game)
Monica: $9,800
David: $2,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS WOMEN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Jason: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Monica: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,999 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
David: You've no hope of catching up... unless Monica does something stupid. So risk $2,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Her 1886 obiturary in a Mass. paper said, "very few in the village, except among the older inhabitants, knew" her "personally"

FINAL SCORES
David: $2,400 - $2,300 = $100 (Who was ?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Monica: $9,800 + $1,200 = $11,000 (Who was Emily Dickinson?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Jason: $28,200 + $0 = $28,200 (Who was Dickinson?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $21,600, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Monica: $11,600, 18 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
David: $2,400, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 26/60 = .433
Monica: 19/59 = .322
David: 9/58 = .155
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PORTU-GALS & GUYS $800: She was born in Portugal but became known as a Brazilian bombshell

PORTU-GALS & GUYS $1000: Teresa Heinz Kerry was born to Portuguese parents in this then-Portuguese colony on Africa's east coast
(Monica: What is Cape Verde?)

WHO WANTS A SANDWICH? $400: Their name implies that they go right down

LAKES $1200: Shared by Macedonia and Albania, Ohrid Lake--one of Europe's most beautiful--is on this peninsula

LAKES $800: (Kelly presents the clue by a map)
A narrow passage called the Rigolets connects this Louisiana Lake to Lake Borgne & the Gulf of Mexico

NAME THE COMPOSER $1200: (Gilles Apap delivers the clue)
He depicted spring in one of his best known works

(Gilles plays the piece)

NAME THE COMPOSER $1600: (Gilles Apap delivers the clue)
This Russian gave us a classic concerto

(Gilles plays the piece)

NAME THE COMPOSER $2000: (Gilles Apap delivers the clue)
He made the strings represent Peter in "Peter and the Wolf"

(Gilles plays and whistles the piece)

NAME THE COMPOSER $400: (Gilles Apap delivers the clue)
Born in Genoa, he was the greatest violin virtuoso of the early 1800s

(Gilles plays one of his pieces)

LET'S MAKE THEM SCOTTISH $1200: Ach! It's the type of art seen here

WHO'S YOUR MAMA? $800: In 1951, this man entered government service as an attorney in the Department of Justice

CORRECT RESPONSES
corn
Christopher Marlowe
Lake Nasser
John Paul Jones
Lake Constance
Johann Sebastian Bach
the forget-me-not
Meryl Streep
Jerry Hall
Melanie Griffith
Emily Dickinson
Carmen Miranda
Mozambique
sliders
the Balkan
Pontchartrain
(Antonio) Vivaldi
Tchaikovsky
Prokofiev
Paganini
macrame
Robert Kennedy
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Famous Women
Her 1886 obituary in a Massachusetts paper said, "Very few in the village, except among the older inhabitants, knew" her "personally".

Spoiler
Who is Emily Dickinson? David had no guess.

Jason Keller: $28,200+$0=$28,200...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Monica Thieu: $9,800+$1,200=$11,000
David Gard: $2,400-$2,300=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Are "mapping" and "sequencing" the same thing?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Are "mapping" and "sequencing" the same thing?
No mapping tells you where a sequence is located on a chromosome.

Nice but expected win for Keller.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ Category: FAMOUS WOMEN

Her 1886 obituary in a Massachusetts paper said, “Very few in the village, except among the older inhabitants, knew” her “personally.”
Spoiler
Who is Emily Dickinson? David had no answer.

Jason Keller: 28,200 + 0 = 28,200, Semi-Finalist
Monica Thieu: 9,800 + 1,200 = 11,000 (currently WC4)
David Gard: 2,400 - 2,300 = 100
Leander

Post by Leander »

I am no master of betting strategy, but I thought the second place FJ bet was odd. If she's wrong, I'd think $8600 too low to have a chance at the semis. If she's right, $11,000 might still be marginal. I would have gone all in to increase the odds of making it.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Nice win by Jason Keller, but Monica was on a mission there at the end of DJ. I hope she goes through. With better luck on daily doubles, she could challenge in the semi-finals. I was pleasantly surprised.

David Gard's interview story was unfortunately predictive of his game.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I agree that Monica bet poorly. The good news is that she just has to survive with that score for two days.
ihsh
Contributor

Post by ihsh »

Nice comeback by Monica at the end of DJ.
But the FJ! wager... I don't think $11000 will be enough for a wild card :(
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

ihsh wrote:Nice comeback by Monica at the end of DJ.
It was so fun watching her turn it on at the end. Paul and I were rooting for her to make Jason have to work a little bit!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

It's too bad no one said "Bodensee" just so we could get into a debate about whether or not it fit the clue.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

nice run from monica to put herself in contention, but wow, jason was sensational. not that i expected anything less, mind you. but boy, that was fun. and i also dug the ACPT shout-out, of course!

i really liked the violin category, but the clue valuation was all over the place. paganini in the top row, but "who wrote peter & the wolf" at the bottom? bizarre. i think that one would have been pretty easy even if it had just been "who wrote this piece i'm about to play".
Leander wrote:I am no master of betting strategy, but I thought the second place FJ bet was odd. If she's wrong, I'd think $8600 too low to have a chance at the semis. If she's right, $11,000 might still be marginal. I would have gone all in to increase the odds of making it.
it's really hard to know what exact amount to wager there, but going all-in would most certainly decrease her odds of making it. with $9.8k, even standing pat i'd put her a priori odds of a wild card (remember, she doesn't know what happened in games 1 and 2) at 60-70%. going all in gives her something like a 50% chance of going down to 0, which obviously isn't good for her chances. it's a tricky betting situation, and i don't see any argument that another wager would have been better than the one she actually chose. that doesn't mean i thought she made the best wager, just that i don't see a reason to think that any one wager in the 0-$4k (ish) range is better than any other.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

I said "genotyping" - judges?
jpahk wrote:i really liked the violin category, but the clue valuation was all over the place. paganini in the top row, but "who wrote peter & the wolf" at the bottom? bizarre. i think that one would have been pretty easy even if it had just been "who wrote this piece i'm about to play".
I'm usually not a big fan of the video categories, but this one was very enjoyable. Agree with you about the odd clue placement. The top two seemed relatively more difficult than the three further down. I don't know that there was much to give away Bach unless you happened to recognize the piece. Many composers could be rightly called "prolific", although it may have helped if you took that to refer to his many children. Still, I didn't get there in time.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
I said "genotyping" - judges?
I don't think it's the same thing.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Jason on the win, and to Monica and David for their showings!

This was another board that was well written but also very easy. The only category that I didn't like was "Broadway Musicals in Other Words," but I probably shouldn't complain since it gave me the easy 5/5 in what is usually a nightmare category for me. I am hoping for some harder boards in the semifinals!

I agree about the clue variation in the "Composers" category, but I think that the hardest part of the J.S. Bach and Paganini clues was how vague they were (unless you recognized the music as being composed by them). With a little more TOM they might have been valued appropriately. I don't agree with Prokofiev at $2000 but I was not at all surprised to see him there.

I actually thought that $5400 was too big of a wager from Jason on the $1200 "American History" Daily Double. Even though that was obviously a wheelhouse for him I was afraid that he was going to get a hose in a broad category there. But I am glad that he decided to wager large after his small DD wagers in his regular games. Jason also removed doubts about his buzzer timing in this game.

I got FJ after about 5 seconds.I think that the hardest part of the clue was knowing that they were going for someone who was most famous as a writer. The year + reclusive was enough to get me there.

I really enjoyed watching Monica and I am hoping that she hangs on to the last wild card spot, but with the contestants who will be playing in the next 2 games I am not optimistic.
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

I recorded tonight's episode due to being away and was not about to miss two nights in a row of the Tournament of Champions. Got to see three players I've never seen before which was interesting. So far from what I've seen it has been very competitive. I'm anxious to see what the finals are going to be like. I usually try to root for any contestant, especially in the ToC, but found myself especially rooting for Monica especially as she pulled through towards the end of Double Jeopardy. Very smart playing. On a final note, not that it generally matters to anyone else, but I FINALLY got a Final Jeopardy answer right tonight. Emily Dickinson was the only famous woman I could think of that would have fit the description. Am I ready for the big leagues yet coach!? (Probably not)
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

Dr. J wrote:
ihsh wrote:Nice comeback by Monica at the end of DJ.
It was so fun watching her turn it on at the end. Paul and I were rooting for her to make Jason have to work a little bit!
You could see her, response by response, move from downtrodden frustration to gleeful determination as she got back into it.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jpahk wrote:nice run from monica to put herself in contention, but wow, jason was sensational. not that i expected anything less, mind you. but boy, that was fun. and i also dug the ACPT shout-out, of course!

i really liked the violin category, but the clue valuation was all over the place. paganini in the top row, but "who wrote peter & the wolf" at the bottom? bizarre. i think that one would have been pretty easy even if it had just been "who wrote this piece i'm about to play".
Agreed here. I was also a bit perplexed that he played the Tchaikovski piano concerto tune rather than his violin one, but it's less famous than the one he played. A bit surprised that Bach was a TSer, given the "prolific" clue - he was certainly that (in more ways than one!).
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

[quote="boson

David Gard's interview story was unfortunately predictive of his game.[/quote]

I missed his story. He seemed low-key.

In that Mac/Scottish category, Monica answered mackerel but the clue referenced royalty. Were they looking for a specific type of mackerel?

ETA: I only got Bach because I knew he had a lot of children. The music seemed familiar though.