Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Paucle »

Mark B wrote:Seems to me that this system still only goes as far back as the beginning of the page, not the beginning of the thread
Not that page specifically, but yes it does seem to be limited to a specific number of posts. Like if you're making post #24, you won't be limited to only 3 quotable posts. Perhaps it's a full page of 20?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ChemTeacher wrote:I'm rooting for Colby to win so I can feel a little better about finishing 2nd to him in my tourney.

Otherwise I would root for that contestant from NC whose username is related to carbamide peroxide.
And who also happens to be a fellow chemist, BTW.
TeethWhitener

Post by TeethWhitener »

Woof wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote:I'm rooting for Colby to win so I can feel a little better about finishing 2nd to him in my tourney.

Otherwise I would root for that contestant from NC whose username is related to carbamide peroxide.
And who also happens to be a fellow chemist, BTW.
It pains me to admit that it took me a second to get "carbamide == urea." Clearly I'm not that kind of chemist.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Vanya wrote:"... amid growing hunger" makes it sound like the end of the plan was in response to that. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I was tempted to put Holodomor.

Said collectivization although 5-year plan was in the back of my mind. What stopped me was the fact there were several 5 year plans.
I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with Vanya. My first thought was "What is the five year plan" but then rejected it because a) there was more than one five year plan and b) it seemed to be too general an answer. So I went with What is collective farming, which, as noted above in the comments, would likely not have been acceptable.

Great game tonight. Sorry Dr. J.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought Dan should have bet $6,000 on that DD. As it turned out, that would have kept the lead to him going into FJ, not that it ended up mattering.

Jerome indirectly spoiled the result for me. He told me about a particular clue that Colby had dealt with. The clue didn't come up in his QF, but there was no wildcard spoilage since he won. The clue didn't come up in this game, so I knew he must have gotten FJ right. Oh well.

The only years-long Russian project I could think of (besides its space program) was the Trans-Siberian Railway. But that started way earlier than 1928. Thus ends a four-game ToC FJ streak. I got four in a row in 2011 as well, and no others. I got three right in 2010's, so I'm hoping that I can continue the upward trend. Got three games to do it in. (For the record, I got four right in 2009 and 2007 too.)
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dr. J wrote:Methinks Almanzo "Manly" Wilder would live up to his nickname on this show. Then again, he never liked whips...:twisted:
Sorry, is this a family forum?
I'm so disappointed! I've just been looking for a shot of the cover of Donald Zochert's Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder. The biography is interesting and well-written, but whatever misguided artist did the cover had Laura wearing a shirtwaist open to the navel with a whole lotta corset showing and Manly with an open shirt and flared leather pants. :o Alas, Google Images has let me down or I would share it with you all.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Methinks Almanzo "Manly" Wilder would live up to his nickname on this show. Then again, he never liked whips...:twisted:
I'm so disappointed! I've just been looking for a shot of the cover of Donald Zochert's Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder. The biography is interesting and well-written, but whatever misguided artist did the cover had Laura wearing a shirtwaist open to the navel with a whole lotta corset showing and Manly with an open shirt and flared leather pants. :o Alas, Google Images has let me down or I would share it with you all.
Is this it? My Google-fu found the back cover, but it's too big to get the whole image here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yzRrlfcbefU/T ... img002.jpg

You can also see it on Amazon with the Look Inside and hit the link for back cover.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

For the Oscar Wilde $800 clue (This "is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"), I said, "Someone else's."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote:("We were going for Jean-Paul Marat, but after some research our judges have discovered that Orville Redenbacher is also correct.")
reddpen wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:...as a longtime Laura Ingalls Wilder fan, the Marquis de Sod House has to be my favorite in that category - though now I have some bizarre mental images going on.
[In sonorous voiceover baritone]:
"Laura Ingalls was a prairie innocent till she met the Marquis de Sod... now she's Wilder. Sunday night on NBC."
OMG, you guys, this is why I love this place - highbrow humour! There's a lot of it tonight!
Mark B wrote:Hey, is there any way to quote multiple sources from more than just a few messages upthread? I'm pretty sure someone explained this earlier, but I haven't figured it out.
Because of the 20 message limit in the "Topic Review" section (and because I can't always remember which messages I wanted to reply when I'm done reading a thread), I usually, when I find a message I want to reply, right-click "Quote", and have it go to a new tab. Then, when I'm done, I start a new reply, and cut and paste the quotes from those into my new reply and close the tabs when I finish with them one by one. A bit clunky, but it works and since I've been here almost from the start and I have posted more than anyone else (I think I still have that record, anyway, I've been trying to cut down a bit), I'm way too ingrained in this method to try another one. (That's one of the only things I miss from the old Sony board, the "Multi-Quote" button.)
alietr wrote:
Dr. J wrote: Methinks Almanzo "Manly" Wilder would live up to his nickname on this show. Then again, he never liked whips...:twisted:
It used to be.
Or, as I used to describe my comedy act: "It's family friendly, although I wouldn't want to meet that family!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:Am I the only one here who got it as an insta-get because I remembered that Jigme [Sigme] Wangchuck (spelling from memory) is the King of Bhutan? The name sticks in my head because it's so euphonious!
I think a lot of us remember him because of that mid-80s song, "Everybody Wangchuck Tonight." Of course, if you only ever heard the safe-for-radio version, you might not even have realized who that song was about.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
Is this it? My Google-fu found the back cover, but it's too big to get the whole image here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yzRrlfcbefU/T ... img002.jpg

You can also see it on Amazon with the Look Inside and hit the link for back cover.
Yes!! Apparently I confused Almanzo's flared jeans with Pa Ingalls's leather jacket, though.
Sage on the Hudson

How you gonna keep them dwn on the arm once they've seen gay collectivization??

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Leander wrote:My FJ answer was the collectivization of agriculture. I wonder if that would have been accepted?
No, it was just the opposite. The forced collectivization of Soviet agriculture increased almost ever year into the early 1950's, and it was almost single-handedly responsible -- in large part due to the widesread rebellion to the scheme that resulted in the purging of the kulaks and resettlement of rural populations into interal exile -- for the disastrous drop in production that led to the Soviet government to abandon that five-year plan.

PatMorrison wrote:Soviet history IS Russian history, it's a part of a whole.
Russian history IS Soviet history is more like it. It doesn't quite work in reverse, because Armenian history is Soviet history, Lithuanian history is Soviet history, etc. The whole of which you write is each NATION'S history, of which their incorporation into the USSR is a part, and not the other way 'round.
davey

Re: How you gonna keep them dwn on the arm once they've seen gay collectivizatio

Post by davey »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Leander wrote:My FJ answer was the collectivization of agriculture. I wonder if that would have been accepted?
No, it was just the opposite. The forced collectivization of Soviet agriculture increased almost ever year into the early 1950's, and it was almost single-handedly responsible -- in large part due to the widesread rebellion to the scheme that resulted in the purging of the kulaks and resettlement of rural populations into interal exile -- for the disastrous drop in production that led to the Soviet government to abandon that five-year plan.
You contradict yourself. If it was "almost single-handedly responsible" for the abandonment of the plan (though others have objected to that characterization), isn't it because it was the failed goal of the plan?... I don't see why it matters if collectivization was taken up again in other 5-year plans or as Soviet policy - if it was the goal of the first 5-year plan then it seems "collectivization plan" should be an acceptable answer...
I said "5-year plan" but I fretted that something more specific, like "collectivization," was necessary...
Mark B wrote:
I went with Griffith too, cuz The Great Dictator had to be after that.
Alex's remark about Charlie Chaplin was odd. Even a casual film buff knows at least the names of the pictures Chaplin made in the '30s, '40s, and '50s..."The Struggle" is not one of them.
Last edited by davey on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Austin Powers wrote:While I could see someone saying Chaplin, he wouldn't make a great deal of sense. Monsieur Verdoux was late 40s and he got an Oscar for Limelight, albeit under unusual circumstances, in the early 1970s.

BTW a better temptation would be the guy who directed The Jazz Singer - except you've not heard of him.
Okay, I'm not the only one who went right to The Jazz Singer and ran headlong into a wall.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

dhkendall wrote: Because of the 20 message limit in the "Topic Review" section (and because I can't always remember which messages I wanted to reply when I'm done reading a thread), I usually, when I find a message I want to reply, right-click "Quote", and have it go to a new tab. Then, when I'm done, I start a new reply, and cut and paste the quotes from those into my new reply and close the tabs when I finish with them one by one. A bit clunky, but it works and since I've been here almost from the start and I have posted more than anyone else (I think I still have that record, anyway, I've been trying to cut down a bit), I'm way too ingrained in this method to try another one. (That's one of the only things I miss from the old Sony board, the "Multi-Quote" button.)
Thanks, and to all who responded. I guess there really is no multi-quote here. I'll use the cut and paste too if it comes up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Am I the only one here who got it as an insta-get because I remembered that Jigme [Sigme] Wangchuck (spelling from memory) is the King of Bhutan? The name sticks in my head because it's so euphonious!
I think a lot of us remember him because of that mid-80s song, "Everybody Wangchuck Tonight." Of course, if you only ever heard the safe-for-radio version, you might not even have realized who that song was about.
I don't wanna know what you people are doing with your wangs.
PatMorrison
Contributor

Re: How you gonna keep them dwn on the arm once they've seen gay collectivizatio

Post by PatMorrison »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
PatMorrison wrote:Soviet history IS Russian history, it's a part of a whole.
Russian history IS Soviet history is more like it. It doesn't quite work in reverse, because Armenian history is Soviet history, Lithuanian history is Soviet history, etc. The whole of which you write is each NATION'S history, of which their incorporation into the USSR is a part, and not the other way 'round.
So you would object to a category about "Russian History" containing a question about Eduard Shevardnadze?
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

I just watched the last two shows hence the tardy comment. I thought Thursday show was fantastic in every way; very competitive and amusing as well. Everyone seemed so relaxed and enjoying the experience. I like the interview portion generally and this one was a whopper. Stephannie/DRJ/marquisse/Jass, you started something. I think you should change your avatar to a semblance of American Gothic. I can see it now, you and Alex in front of the sod house, him with a tail and horns holding his pitchfork. Add me to the list of those who will miss you.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

flemmingfan wrote:Stephannie/DRJ/marquisse/Jass, you started something. I think you should change your avatar to a semblance of American Gothic. I can see it now, you and Alex in front of the sod house, him with a tail and horns holding his pitchfork. Add me to the list of those who will miss you.
Great idea, combining the two memes from today's game! I second this!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

dhkendall wrote:
flemmingfan wrote:Stephannie/DRJ/marquisse/Jass, you started something. I think you should change your avatar to a semblance of American Gothic. I can see it now, you and Alex in front of the sod house, him with a tail and horns holding his pitchfork. Add me to the list of those who will miss you.
Great idea, combining the two memes from today's game! I second this!
I was at least one step ahead of you with my new name and avatar (and have been patiently waiting for the reveal!), but my photoshop skills don't extend to pitch forking just yet. Maybe I can get our school graphic designer on it...