Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Magna »

jeff6286 wrote:Which would be worse: leaving FJ blank or writing "What is Sputnik?"? Obviously I knew it wasn't correct, but with the word "launched" in there I couldn't get it out of my mind, and I had absolutely nothing else even remotely plausible to write down. I figure that would have at least gotten a pretty decent laugh in the studio.
No idea on the clue, although I knew what the five year plans were. It didn't occur to me that they would be asking for plan #1 of a series of plans. For me it boiled down to "Name something Russian." I would've said "What is the Bolshoi Ballet?" just to avoid a total blank.

Those WAG responses are often good for a laugh. Plus, you never know - by sheer luck you might hit on a correct alternate response. ("We were going for Jean-Paul Marat, but after some research our judges have discovered that Orville Redenbacher is also correct.")
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

ElendilPickle wrote:...as a longtime Laura Ingalls Wilder fan, the Marquis de Sod House has to be my favorite in that category - though now I have some bizarre mental images going on.
[In sonorous voiceover baritone]:
"Laura Ingalls was a prairie innocent till she met the Marquis de Sod... now she's Wilder. Sunday night on NBC."
In and out of the pool four times
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Magna wrote:I would've said "What is the Bolshoi Ballet?" just to avoid a total blank.
Now I don't feel so bad.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

bpmod wrote:
Magna wrote:I would've said "What is the Bolshoi Ballet?" just to avoid a total blank.
Now I don't feel so bad.

Brian
I'm waiting for someone to confess having said "What is borscht?"
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

reddpen wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:...as a longtime Laura Ingalls Wilder fan, the Marquis de Sod House has to be my favorite in that category - though now I have some bizarre mental images going on.
"Laura Ingalls was a prairie innocent till she met the Marquis de Sod... now she's Wilder. Sunday night on NBC."
I'd watch it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:No idea on the clue, although I knew what the five year plans were. It didn't occur to me that they would be asking for plan #1 of a series of plans. For me it boiled down to "Name something Russian." I would've said "What is the Bolshoi Ballet?" just to avoid a total blank.
That reminds me of that guy on Family Feud back in the day who answered that question with "Russians". Same guy later said in Fast Money that "Alligator" was an animal with 3 letters.
Magna wrote:I'm waiting for someone to confess having said "What is borscht?"
I said "Russian reversal jokes".
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Where is your серп, TPH?
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

While I could see someone saying Chaplin, he wouldn't make a great deal of sense. Monsieur Verdoux was late 40s and he got an Oscar for Limelight, albeit under unusual circumstances, in the early 1970s.

BTW a better temptation would be the guy who directed The Jazz Singer - except you've not heard of him.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

BTW I was able to see the whole episode this morning, and it really was the tops. Best in the tourney so far. Though disappointed no one apparently was a fan of David Lean.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
bomtr wrote:'Himalayan kingdom' is direct to Nepal, but 2011 kicks you right back out, and Bhutan is the only place to go.
Gee, I guess so if you knew the monarchy ended in Nepal in 2006. I didn't.
It's not that it ended, it's how it ended.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

Austin Powers wrote:
It's not that it ended, it's how it ended.
Funny!
Austin Powers wrote:
BTW a better temptation would be the guy who directed The Jazz Singer - except you've not heard of him.
I thought of that briefly, but could only conjure Jolson. Director was Alan Crosland, apparently.

Hey, is there any way to quote multiple sources from more than just a few messages upthread? I'm pretty sure someone explained this earlier, but I haven't figured it out.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Mark B wrote:Hey, is there any way to quote multiple sources from more than just a few messages upthread? I'm pretty sure someone explained this earlier, but I haven't figured it out.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but you don't click QUOTE to start the multi-reply, just REPLY. Then scroll to the first message you want to quote, hi-lite the passage, then hit QUOTE from that post. That'll work the same as QUOTE normally does, but has the benefit of only c/ping the stuff you hi-lited.
Scroll from message to message, hi-liting/ QUOTE-ing to your heart's content!
Austin Powers wrote:BTW I was able to see the whole episode this morning
Vanya wrote:Where is your серп, TPH?
TenPoundHammer wrote:I said "Russian reversal jokes".
Drawback- it won't bed quotes this way. You have to do that manually. For instance, I'll hi-lite a bedded quote, and we get this...
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:reddpen wrote:
Can be fixed manually, if desired.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

reddpen wrote:
:lol: But I think it would be more at home on HBO or Showtime!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Paucle wrote:Not sure if this is what you mean, but you don't click QUOTE to start the multi-reply, just REPLY. Then scroll to the first message you want to quote, hi-lite the passage, then hit QUOTE from that post. That'll work the same as QUOTE normally does, but has the benefit of only c/ping the stuff you hi-lited.
Whoa, I didn't know about this! Thanks!

All this time on messageboards, I've been doing it the more bare-bones way, actually typing things like

Code: Select all

[quote="Paucle"]Not sure if this is what you mean, but...[/quote]

My own words in reply to Paucle

[quote="SomeOtherUserName"]Some other stuff previously said by some other user[/quote]

My reply to that other user
(though obviously I at least knew to use CTRL-C, etc.)

Note also that since I have a nonzero amount of experience writing computer code, doing this didn't seem all that outlandish to me.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

skullturf wrote:Whoa, I didn't know about this! Thanks!
Wow, that makes two of us. I wasn't hand coding like skullturf, but I was hitting Quote multiple times and manually assembling all the bits and pieces, making copious use of copy/paste. I'm relieved not to have to do that anymore. Thanks, Paucle!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Vanya wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Where is your серп, TPH?
Я смеюсь вслух
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

ElendilPickle wrote:
reddpen wrote:
:lol: But I think it would be more at home on HBO or Showtime!
Methinks Almanzo "Manly" Wilder would live up to his nickname on this show. Then again, he never liked whips...:twisted:
Sorry, is this a family forum?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Dr. J wrote: Methinks Almanzo "Manly" Wilder would live up to his nickname on this show. Then again, he never liked whips...:twisted:
Sorry, is this a family forum?
It used to be.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

I'm rooting for Colby to win so I can feel a little better about finishing 2nd to him in my tourney.

Otherwise I would root for that contestant from NC whose username is related to carbamide peroxide.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

Paucle wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hey, is there any way to quote multiple sources from more than just a few messages upthread? I'm pretty sure someone explained this earlier, but I haven't figured it out.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but you don't click QUOTE to start the multi-reply, just REPLY. Then scroll to the first message you want to quote, hi-lite the passage, then hit QUOTE from that post. That'll work the same as QUOTE normally does, but has the benefit of only c/ping the stuff you hi-lited.
Austin Powers wrote:BTW I was able to see the whole episode this morning
Vanya wrote:Where is your серп, TPH?
TenPoundHammer wrote:I said "Russian reversal jokes".
Drawback- it won't bed quotes this way. You have to do that manually. For instance, I'll hi-lite a bedded quote, and we get this...
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:reddpen wrote:
Can be fixed manually, if desired.
Thanks for answering Paucle. Seems to me that this system still only goes as far back as the beginning of the page, not the beginning of the thread. Am I right on that? Or missing a button somewhere?