Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya »

reddpen wrote:
PatMorrison wrote: My grandmother was born in a sod house in North Dakota in 1902... but not my father. Vanya, where was yours born?
Ryegate, Montana
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

Dr. J wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:Sorry to see you go, Stephanie. I'm guessing that's a shot of Mother Russia in your avatar?
Actually, it's the Marquis de sod house where Alex and I go for giggles. My new rank will be Marquise de Sod, thankyouverymuch! For the record, Colby (and Dan) were crazy fast on those buzzers. I knew a lot of those boards (save the LHC), but I just couldn't get in. I felt like an old hag at the end of that game, taken to the cleaners by a bunch of whippersnappers. "Get off of my lawn, ya damn hooligans!" Unless my reflexes got faster, I wasn't going to win that game.
I noted that from the beginning--your buzzer arm kept shaking more and more violently in the first round as you were trying to get your timing right. It was a good run, but Colby's proved himself to be one hell of a player.

Sigh. Two more games of his eyebrow and smug head bob. After Leach got knocked out (my other rooting interest), Colby is now the clear favorite to win it all.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess I'll be the only one rooting for Kristen in the finals.

Did they say at the beginning they were going for one particular year? I wasn't paying attention during the category introduction. But with the end of WWII right beofre the last clue, it was pretty easy to figure out.

I think the FJ category should have been "The Soviet Union". Stalin was not Russian.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

reddpen wrote:Between the Eisenstein answer and "launched" in the FJ clue, did anyone else lean toward the Battleship Potemkin for a moment? Not that it made sense for long....
*raises hand* Yep.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Bamaman wrote:Did they say at the beginning they were going for one particular year? I wasn't paying attention during the category introduction.
Alex just said to take it in order.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Bamaman wrote:I guess I'll be the only one rooting for Kristen in the finals.
I'll be rooting for her.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Stalin was not Russian.
That's true, but they also keep referring to George II as English, so what are you going to do?
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
I'll be rooting for her.
As might I. I still pick Jason to win it all, even though he hasn't won his QF yet, but I have a tradition of cheering for the underdog.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Johnblue wrote:In re Nepal vs. Bhutan above, my mind flashed on Nepal at first but they had some nut shoot up the royal family several yrs ago & now they're a republic.
I remembered this as well. It's how I landed on Bhutan, the nut was actually the crown prince who shot up his own family.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
I'll be rooting for her.
I like a lot of the contestants, and I like her. It's honestly hard for me to say who I'm "rooting for" exactly. There are a lot of talented and interesting contestants.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote: As might I. I still pick Jason to win it all, even though he hasn't won his QF yet, but I have a tradition of cheering for the underdog.
I swear, this is the first time I've ever seen a NINE-TIME CHAMPION referred to as an underdog!

For the love of all that is good with this board, is anyone here ever going to give Jason Keller any respect whatsoever?

Or because all of the other people have come here, we automatically gush over them and heap all sorts of praise upon them, warranted or not?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

My reading of the original post was that he was referring to Kristin as the underdog, not Jason. I, for one, have a tremendous amount of respect for Jason, and was relieved that I didn't have to play him! (And then I found out how good he is on a Scrabble board, and resolved never to challenge him there, either.)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

jason is awesome. i'll give him props. and it is a little weird to talk about him as an underdog. but i'd peg his odds of winning today's match at no higher than around 50%, just because keith is also excellent and paul is a very fine player who has already beaten keith, stephanie, and jason shore (among others) head-to-head. compared to kristin and colby who have already clinched a finals place, i'd put longer odds on jason at this point.

of course, if jason does win tonight, he'll be the favorite in the final. but again, probably not a 50%+ favorite.

i'll add this: i've been heaping praise on this year's ToC contestants because i've been really impressed with them, boardies or no. dan & kristin, in particular, are players i had some concerns about coming into the ToC, but they've both been extremely poised, quick on the buzzer, and most importantly, they've nailed a whole bunch of tough material. i'm not trying to suck up to anyone; they're not boardies. they're just good. colby, too—i already thought he was one of the favorites coming in, but he's been even better than i expected. how can you not be impressed by these contestants?
Last edited by jpahk on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
dhkendall wrote: As might I. I still pick Jason to win it all, even though he hasn't won his QF yet, but I have a tradition of cheering for the underdog.
I swear, this is the first time I've ever seen a NINE-TIME CHAMPION referred to as an underdog!

For the love of all that is good with this board, is anyone here ever going to give Jason Keller any respect whatsoever?

Or because all of the other people have come here, we automatically gush over them and heap all sorts of praise upon them, warranted or not?
You misread my post, I pick Jason to win it all, but that means, in my mind (and probably many others), he's the favourite, so he's not my rooting interest. Since I often cheer for the underdog, Kristen and Colby will probably be my rooting interest, though I fully expect Jason to win it all. (I guess I root for the underdog because everyone loves a good "underdog wins" story)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

It appears as if I did misread something. sigh. please accept my humble apologies.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:It appears as if I did misread something. sigh. please accept my humble apologies.
Given your avatar, perhaps the penalty box would be an appropriate place for you.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I have been so impressed by all of the players this ToC. It's hard for me to remember any J! player better on the buzzer than Colby. I have to confess that I was rooting for Dr. J but anyone will be a worthy victor.

Like some others, I associate five year plans more with China than Russia/USSR, but I got it because it occurred to me and I couldn't think of a reason to rule it out. "Schadenfreudian Slip" may be my favorite (correct) J! response of all time.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Budphrey wrote:Now.
THAT.
was.
impressive.

Congrats to Colby (Chicago-area schools can use some good news these days), and really great competitive game by all. Stephanie, I have to hand it to you — when you defy the "Never Sass Alex" curse, you confront it full force! :lol:
I literally LOLed at that.

ETA I also loved Schadenfreudian Slip, but as a longtime Laura Ingalls Wilder fan, the Marquis de Sod House has to be my favorite in that category - though now I have some bizarre mental images going on.

I'm rooting for Kristin since she was in my taping group, but no matter what I think it will be a great final.
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Clearly I had no idea there was a "Never Sass Alex" curse. Looks like it must exist :)
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

Put me in the books for Kristen. I've been so pleasantly surprised by her performance in the ToC.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

jpahk wrote:
jpahk wrote:it is a joy to watch top players duking it out on excellent material, and that's what we've been treated to every game of this tournament.
yeah, quoting yourself is tacky, but wow, what a tournament. this was another outstanding game. the writers brought their A games, and the players definitely did too.
How about quoting someone who quoted himself? This was top stuff. A real ToC board, well written, fun, challenging and diverse. And these three were lively. This screamed ToC game to me. Loved it.

I went with Griffith too, cuz The Great Dictator had to be after that.

Got FJ right away, but would have written First Five-Year Plan. I liked the clue, and how the dates led you away from other possible answers. Assuming that's fine, that makes 7/7 on FJ's. Cool! (Pats self on back obnoxiously)

Kudos to the writers on all this stuff. Well done. This tourney is def. heating up.