Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Austin Powers »

Disagree that the (first) Five Year Plan ended because of the famine. Stalin didn't give a damn about a bunch of dead Ukes. The plan "ended" because he wanted to implement the next wave of industrial policies. Hence the rollout soon after of the Second Five Year Plan.

Stalin, admitting that something isn't working? Pfft.
Leander

Post by Leander »

My FJ answer was the collectivization of agriculture. I wonder if that would have been accepted?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Leander wrote:My FJ answer was the collectivization of agriculture. I wonder if that would have been accepted?
No. They were working the five year angle.
PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

Leander wrote:My FJ answer was the collectivization of agriculture. I wonder if that would have been accepted?
Collectivization "ended" much later than 1932, though 1930 did mark Stalin's "Dizzy with success" editorial (one of my favorite pieces of propaganda) that temporarily put an end to the policy.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dr. J wrote:The judges actually deliberated a good five minutes (or more? Seemed like an eternity...) about my answer. This was a shock to me, as I knew it was a Hail Mary, akin to Pat Quinn's "Jesus in Rio" answer. I didn't understand why we were stopped, then Maggie said, "they're checking your answer" so I had this crazy moment of hope, which was crushed when I saw the judge on the red phone give a thumbs down. Of course, Colby got it right, so it was moot anyway!
Sorry to see you go, Stephanie. I'm guessing that's a shot of Mother Russia in your avatar?
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I have heard of Five Year Plans, but only in the context of China (they're still doing them). It makes perfect sense that Soviet Russia had them too, but it just didn't come to me. If the clue had mentioned "first" one of these, I may have gotten it. But still probably not.
emccullough
Valued Contributor

Post by emccullough »

I was thinking "five-year plan" applied only to China, and kept trying to come up with "dekulakization" (thank you, Wikipedia).
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

ElendilPickle wrote:Sorry to see you go, Stephanie. I'm guessing that's a shot of Mother Russia in your avatar?
Actually, it's the Marquis de sod house where Alex and I go for giggles. My new rank will be Marquise de Sod, thankyouverymuch! For the record, Colby (and Dan) were crazy fast on those buzzers. I knew a lot of those boards (save the LHC), but I just couldn't get in. I felt like an old hag at the end of that game, taken to the cleaners by a bunch of whippersnappers. "Get off of my lawn, ya damn hooligans!" Unless my reflexes got faster, I wasn't going to win that game.
Last edited by Dr. J on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

jpahk wrote:it is a joy to watch top players duking it out on excellent material, and that's what we've been treated to every game of this tournament.
yeah, quoting yourself is tacky, but wow, what a tournament. this was another outstanding game. the writers brought their A games, and the players definitely did too.

congrats to colby on a really compelling performance to put himself into the finals, and congrats also to dan and stephanie on excellent showings. i can't stop gushing about how great all of the players are. this was by no means an easy board, but the players certainly made it look easy.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Pretty easy board tonight. I was really rooting for Dan or Dr. J but c'est la vie. I guess I'll be annoyed all the way now!

I got 5 Yr Plan instantly but had the same qualms in re demulakization. Glad I stayed!
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Dr. J wrote: For the record, Colby (and Dan) were crazy fast on those buzzers. I knew a lot of those boards (save the LHC), but I just couldn't get in. I felt like an old hag at the end of that game, taken to the cleaners by a bunch of whippersnappers. "Get off of my lawn, ya damn hooligans!" Unless my reflexes got faster, I wasn't going to win that game.
To be fair, Colby owned me on the buzzer as well, so it may be a bit premature to worry about aging reflexes
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Awesome, awesome, awesome game! Congrats to Colby on the win, and to Dan and Stephanie on a fantastic tournament! I hope to see all 3 of you back for the next super tournament!

I really liked this board, and would probably say that it was my favorite one of the tournament so far. Unfortunately, it also served as a reminder of how much studying I need to do if I ever want to do well on the show. The only clue I remember not liking was "Higgs" at $2000, especially after the "plasma" clue at $800.

I actually managed 4/5 in the "Directors" category, with my only miss being the "Griffith" DD. Maybe I have been able to learn movies after all ;)

I fell into the "Nepal" trap on the "Bhutan"clue. Major props to Colby for knowing that one!

The only triple stumper that I recall being surprised by was the "experience" one in the Oscar Wilde category. I think that I have seen that quote on at least a few people's Facebook pages. The only other clue I knew in that category was "Dorian Grey." I have to give mad props to the 3 contestants for doing so well in that category.

It ended up not mattering, but I definitely thought that Colby should have made bigger wagers on both of his DDs. I could see that being his undoing in the finals. Dan's DD wager seemed pretty good, though.

I was excited for the FJ category. When I saw the clue my feelings changed. I guessed "Russia's first expedition to the South Pole" just so I could have something. I was happy that there was finally a ToC-level FJ clue, though!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I just couldn't get "Great Leap Forward" out of my head. I knew it was China, but nothing else came up. Rats. Congrats to Colby, that was one well-earned victory. Mostly I'm sorry not to be able to see more of Stephanie, though as a member of this board, she should have known better than to Dis the Trebek.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Sad to see Stephanie and Dan go...

and for some reason and no other guess, I went with the Bolshevik Revolution
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

In re Nepal vs. Bhutan above, my mind flashed on Nepal at first but they had some nut shoot up the royal family several yrs ago & now they're a republic.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I gotFJ because of the 1928 to 1932 hint. Congrats to all 3 contestants on a truly exciting game. I will miss Stephanies effervescent smile and rapierlike wit. Best of all retro luck to Colby in the finals. We're pulling for you.
Le Flaneur
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote:I really liked this board, and would probably say that it was my favorite one of the tournament so far. Unfortunately, it also served as a reminder of how much studying I need to do if I ever want to do well on the show. The only clue I remember not liking was "Higgs" at $2000, especially after the "plasma" clue at $800.
And the "What year are we talking about" clue, right after the "Surrender of Japan" clue. Really? Could you make it any easier?
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

econgator wrote:And the "What year are we talking about" clue, right after the "Surrender of Japan" clue. Really? Could you make it any easier?
You're right about that being an easy lead-in, but at that point, I had TOTALLY forgotten the building up of that category to the ultimate final clue. Dan was clearly lying in wait, while I was all, "what, now?" I often lose track of the category for the clue, and that one hurt me.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
StevenH wrote:I really liked this board, and would probably say that it was my favorite one of the tournament so far. Unfortunately, it also served as a reminder of how much studying I need to do if I ever want to do well on the show. The only clue I remember not liking was "Higgs" at $2000, especially after the "plasma" clue at $800.
And the "What year are we talking about" clue, right after the "Surrender of Japan" clue. Really? Could you make it any easier?
Yes, if the MacArthur clue had been in the top row, then they jumped around to some other categories so it was 8 or 10 clues later before they got to the $2,000 box, that might have been interesting to see how many people remembered the first clue. But giving the end of WW II in the box immediately prior to asking for the year was a bit silly.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Now.
THAT.
was.
impressive.

Congrats to Colby (Chicago-area schools can use some good news these days), and really great competitive game by all. Stephanie, I have to hand it to you — when you defy the "Never Sass Alex" curse, you confront it full force! :lol:
alietr wrote:I just couldn't get "Great Leap Forward" out of my head. I knew it was China, but nothing else came up. Rats.
Moi aussi. At least both our history educators came up with developments in actual Russian history.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.