Friday, March 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6570, 2013-03-22

CONTESTANTS
Mary Jo Shoop, an associate program manager from Arlington, Virginia
Rachel Liptak, a substitute teacher from Temecula, California
Steve Rininger, a lawyer from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex:
Hey, Johnny. thank you.
Hi, folks.
Welcome to our show.
What a week this has been.
What a rare mood I'm in.
Why, it's almost like being surrounded by champions who keep earning more than $20,000.
Steve--a case in point.
Rachel and Mary Jo, welcome aboard.
You look eager to play.
So, let's do it.
Here comes the Jeopardy! Round.
And here come the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WE PUT CHARACTERS ON TRIAL (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IVY LEAGUE ALMA MATERS (2/5)
TRACK & FIELD (5/5)
LOOKING GOOD! (5/5)
THINK GLOBAL (5/5)
"ACT" LOCAL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 16 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Steve: 6 R, 3 W
Mary Jo: 3 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mary Jo found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Steve had $800, Rachel had $2,600, and Mary Jo was at $200. Mary Jo wagered $1,000.

WE PUT CHARACTERS ON TRIAL $400: It's no surprise that this Thomas Hardy title stonemason gives unclear responses on the witness stand
(Mary Jo: I have no idea.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rachel: $2,600
Steve: $200
Mary Jo: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There are a lot of doctors and therapists who advise us that it's a good idea to not spend your entire work day sitting at a desk.
Mary Jo Shoop discovered that by accident, right?

Mary Jo: Yes, I had injured myself, and it was far more comfortable to stand than sit all day long.
So, I started out by putting a box on top of my desk, but then got an actual standing desk, and I absolutely love it.
I'm never going back.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Rachel Liptak is a substitute teacher from Temecula, California.
She has a masters in medieval studies from my son's school.

Rachel: Yes, from Fordham University.

Alex: Now, specializing in what aspect of medieval studies?
Did you narrow it down?

Rachel: Um... it was--well, I wrote my thesis on medieval travel narratives.

Alex: Oh.

Rachel: So, Marco Polo and John Mandeville.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Now, Steve rininger is our champion.
He's an attorney from Chicago, who has, for the past--is it 20 years?

Steve: 20 years, yes.

Alex: You've been enjoying the same annual ritual, which is?

Steve: This is camping at the covered bridge festival in bridgeton, Indiana--parke county, Indiana, which has the highest concentration of covered bridges of any county in the U.S.

Alex: So, you guys--you and your friends--just get together at the covered bridge, and you camp just outside?
You don't go into the woods or anything?

Steve: It's not in the woods.
There's a large barn that we sort of use as our party area now, but it started off as just teenagers trying to misbehave and get away with it.
Now we're in our 30s and people bring their kids, wives, family.

Alex: But I notice you still said party area--the party area.

Steve: Yes.

Alex: Yeah, okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IVY LEAGUE ALMA MATERS $400: Queen Noor of Jordan & Brooke Shields

IVY LEAGUE ALMA MATERS $600: Arlen Specter, for his B.A., & Donald Trump, for business school
(Steve: What is Columbia?)

IVY LEAGUE ALMA MATERS $800: Jodie Foster & Garry Trudeau
(Steve: What is Columbia?)

WE PUT CHARACTERS ON TRIAL $800: The Ministry of Love was the scene of the trial of this main character; his lawyer is appealing-- after 29 years
(Rachel: Who is Wilson Smith?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rachel: $8,000
Steve: $2,000
Mary Jo: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WE'RE ON MARS! (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ABBREVIATION"Z" (5/5)
IT WAS THE 60'S (4/5)
COMPASS POINT MOVIES (4/5)
IN THE BOY SCOUT HANDBOOK (3/5)
STATE SONG LYRICS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We want you to name the state as we present...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mary Jo: 8 R, 0 W
Rachel: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Steve: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Steve snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Steve had $4,000, Rachel had $8,000, and Mary Jo was at $1,600. Steve wagered $2,000.

STATE SONG LYRICS $1600: "Your freeborn single star sends out its radiance to nations near and far"
(Alex: [*], yes, the Lone Star State.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rachel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Steve had $8,000, Rachel had $16,000, and Mary Jo was at $8,000. Rachel wagered $2,000.

WE'RE ON MARS! $800: Valerie Androis won an essay contest and named this rover for a 19th Century African American woman
(Rachel: Who is Tubman?)
(Alex: No, but you were close. Who is [*]?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMPASS POINT MOVIES $1600: Nick Nolte has the best hands in football but a "bad attitude" in this satire on the business of football
(Alex: And that book and movie was called [*].)

IT WAS THE 60'S $2000: Future Pope John Paul II was part of this 1962-65 council & helped draft its constitution on the church & the modern world
(Rachel: What is Laterine II?)
(Alex: What is [*]--not Laterine.)

IN THE BOY SCOUT HANDBOOK $1600: This subdivision of a Boy Scout troop "is a team of six to eight boys who make things happen"
(Alex: And that subdivision is [*].)

WE'RE ON MARS! $400: The NASA video seen here shows this SUV-sized rover as it nears its landing in Gail Crater in August of 2012

IN THE BOY SCOUT HANDBOOK $2000: This founder of scouting said, "I don't consider a boy is a real scout till he has passed his First Class Scout"
(Alex: And his name is [*].)

WE'RE ON MARS! $2000: Seen here in a model, on July 20th, 1976, this first U.S. Mars lander successfully soft-landed
(Alex: And that lander is [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rachel: $15,600
Mary Jo: $9,600
Steve: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENCE WORDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Rachel: Wager $3,601 to cover Mary Jo.
Mary Jo: You have the hope of surpassing Rachel if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,401 to force Rachel to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Steve.
Steve: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $7,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This biological term for cell division was borrowed in 1939 to describe a form of energy release

FINAL SCORES
Steve: $8,000 + $7,601 = $15,601 (What is fission?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mary Jo: $9,600 - $6,299 = $3,301 (What is mitosis?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rachel: $15,600 + $3,601 = $19,201 (What is fission?) (New champion: $19,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rachel: $17,600, 26 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Mary Jo: $10,600, 11 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Steve: $7,600, 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachel: 27/59 = .458
Steve: 12/59 = .203
Mary Jo: 11/59 = .186
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IVY LEAGUE ALMA MATERS $1000: Maggie Gyllenhaal & Anna Paquin
(Mary Jo: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Good for you!)
[Laughter]
(Alex: Steve--he set it up two or three times.)

LOOKING GOOD! $600: That little black dress from this French designer! It's so 1926, the year the dress was introduced
Steve: Who is Dior?

STATE SONG LYRICS $2000: "The whole day through just an old sweet song..."
(Alex: [*] on my mind--correct.)

COMPASS POINT MOVIES $400: Mitzi Gaynor sang Rodgers & Hammerstein's "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair" in this movie musical
(Alex: That's a compass point.)

COMPASS POINT MOVIES $1200: Hitchcock couldn't film inside the U.N. for this 1959 thriller, so he re-created its rooms on a soundstage
(Alex: That's the movie.)

WE'RE ON MARS! $1200: Mars's color is from being covered in this which may have been caused by water starting the oxidation of iron

WE'RE ON MARS! $1600: In 2005 Opportunity found heat-shield rock, an iron-rich one of these space rocks, the first ever seen on another planet

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jude the Obscure
Princeton
University of Pennsylvania
Yale
Winston Smith
Texas
Sojornor
North Dallas Forty
Vatican II
a patrol
Curiosity
Lord Robert Bayden Powell
Viking
fission
Columbia
(Coco) Chanel
Georgia
South Pacific
North By Northwest
rust
a meteorite
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Sorry for the delay in posting this.

Science Words
This biological term for cell division was borrowed in 1939 to describe a form of energy release.

Spoiler
What is fission? Mary Jo said mitosis.

Rachel Liptak: $15,600+$3,601=$19,201...now a 1-day champion with $19,201
Mary Jo Shoop: $9,600-$6,299=$3,301
Steve Rininger: $8,000+$7,601=$15,601
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

My best game of the week for Coryats, ending at $31,400. I ran Act Local and Boy Scout Handbook (pretty easy for an Eagle Scout!), and was one question away from running three more.

Facepalm of the day was answering "South by Southwest" instead of "North by Northwest"; the festival in Austin, TX -- which just wrapped up -- lodged itself in my brain and blocked out poor Cary Grant.

Swung and missed on FJ! -- I knew the type of energy release they were looking for, but I've never heard that word with regard to biology, so that threw me off.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"...cell division..."
Oh, easy, what is m--
"...energy release."
Hmm...

Not quite instaget, but the year made it easier, and the 5/5 is complete.

The champ's misadventure with Columbia was hilarious. It also pretty much guaranteed that the 1000 clue would be Columbia (and that he wouldn't be the one to answer), so thanks for boosting my score :D
groovitude wrote:Facepalm of the day was answering "South by Southwest" instead of "North by Northwest"; the festival in Austin, TX -- which just wrapped up -- lodged itself in my brain and blocked out poor Cary Grant.
I managed to blurt out "North Texas Forty" instead of 'Dallas'....for no particular reason. Don't feel too bad :oops:
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I liked this FJ clue. The first part about cell division immediately suggested mitosis, but the second part about energy release suggested it was wrong (I've never heard mitosis used in that context). I then thought about what kind of energy release involves something dividing, at which point I honed in on the year given in the clue (1939). It made me think about atomic energy, which led to nuclear fission, and then the connection to cell fission.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Some of the Mars clues might have been helped by this.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

If I recall correctly, the new champion did not find any of the Daily Doubles today. I think that with a little more luck, she could turn out to be a truly impressive champion next week.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I think I whiffed on all the Mars category except for Sojourner.

Mitosis immediately sprang to mind in FJ, but the 1939 date implied something nuclear related so I went with fission.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Wasn't it just a few days ago I had my first round one perfecto (which had followed on the heels of a 29/0/1 clam a few days before)?
Today... not so much. 15/3/12. Yikes.
Much better in round two. Nailed the DDs there (in fact ran the Mars category). Both would've been TDD temptresses in fact.

Why oh why did Rachel have to give Smith a first name? Now we'll never know if it would've garnered a BMS. (Or maybe that's in the contestant instructions now-- "Smith" is never good enough, give a first name.)

Wow- after yesterday's "shot an arrow in the air" FJ, what a welcome change to today's instaget.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

J! was rough for me, with an 0-fer in Ivy League and Track & Field, only $200 in Global, but a run of "Act". Seriously, why do I keep forgetting that Rio de Janiero exists?

DJ! seemed really easy. I had 15 right, clamming on four (rust, meteorite, Hate Street and Georgia), and my only miss in Abbreviation"Z" was saying "zero population gain" instead of "growth".

No guess on FJ!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Seriously, why do I keep forgetting that Rio de Janiero exists?
It doesn't exist, but Rio de Janeiro does.

Mary Jo bet $6,299 from $9,600 while Steve had $8,000, right? It wouldn't have cost her second place if she'd been right, but I don't know why she withheld $102 from the cover wager.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Seriously, why do I keep forgetting that Rio de Janiero exists?
It doesn't exist, but Rio de Janeiro does.
Maybe that's why. I keep misspelling it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Was this an acutal fifth game of the taping day or is the schedule still off? The opponents had good energy that didn't seem like they had to wait through four previous games and lunch break to play.

It was not going to change Steve's result, but it looked like he was digging deep trying to recall Baden-Powell. Did Alex call Steve, Stevie at one point? I can't recall the point of the show now to check.

I broke my rule tonight to cost me a run in Compass Point Movies. If I get a the first four and have a good idea for the last one I like to go for the run. Eastern Promises felt like the title, but I didn't pull the trigger.

SCIENCE WORDS right after I somehow managed to get all five in Mars? I felt fortunate that I had managed to run a science-type category. For the FJ category to add to it did not have me hopeful, since earlier in the game I had done actium for actinium and zircon for zirconium. Yes, that's how bad I can be with such stuff.

I saw the clue and did cell division = mitosis for my first written response after ruling out meiosis in the time travel back to 10th grade biology. Energy was enough to make me cross my fingers for a switch to fission.

That was a nice game one by Rachel who seemed ready to go out of the gate for the buzzer and 12 categories of variety. My 44/60 means it was a little easier than usual, so perhaps the material hit her well also. We'll find out next week.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

MarkBarrett wrote:Was this an acutal fifth game of the taping day or is the schedule still off? The opponents had good energy that didn't seem like they had to wait through four previous games and lunch break to play.
It must have been. When did the schedule get off?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Mitosis was my first thought on FJ, but knew it was wrong but couldn't think of what word I was looking for. Fusion came to me, but that's not right and stayed with mitosis. fission came to mind as the last note sounded.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:Did Alex call Steve, Stevie at one point? I can't recall the point of the show now to check.
When Mary Jo got Columbia U.
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Was this an acutal fifth game of the taping day or is the schedule still off? The opponents had good energy that didn't seem like they had to wait through four previous games and lunch break to play.
Just the February tournaments. A month passed between Joshua Brakhage games 5 and 6, but the regular tapings have remained on a M-F schedule.

Can anyone else credit Ben Dwertman's miss on the Tess of the d'Urbervilles FJ from almost two weeks ago for a get on the Thomas Hardy DD tonight? I know I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
For some reason I was thinking Joshua continuuing after the TOC was not the third game. My problem was thinking it seemed like a new week, but someone had mentioned it had only been the usual 10-15 minute break for Joshua between 1/29 and 2/27 games.

Yeah, there is no reason for tonight not to have been the fifth game of the taping day. I'm a goofball.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

MarkBarrett wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
For some reason I was thinking Joshua continuuing after the TOC was not the third game. My problem was thinking it seemed like a new week, but someone had mentioned it had only been the usual 10-15 minute break for Joshua between 1/29 and 2/27 games.

Yeah, there is no reason for tonight not to have been the fifth game of the taping day. I'm a goofball.
Yeah, I can confirm it was the usual break between Joshua's games.. :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

MarkBarrett wrote:Yeah, there is no reason for tonight not to have been the fifth game of the taping day. I'm a goofball.
Now now Mark. One has nothing to do with the other. ;)
seaborgium wrote:Can anyone else credit Ben Dwertman's miss on the Tess of the d'Urbervilles FJ from almost two weeks ago for a get on the Thomas Hardy DD tonight?
I think I may have come up with it otherwise, but the Tess discussion certainly made it a gimmie.