Thursday, May 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6604, 2013-05-09

2013 College Championship quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Jack Houston, a sophomore at Azusa Pacific University from Lakeside, California
Bill Driscoll, a senior at Stanford University from Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Cindy Cammarn, a junior at Bowdoin College from Charlotte, North Carolina

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen.
Well, nice to see a California connection or a possible rivalry today with Bill and Jack here. And Cindy may benefit from that rivalry. Let's find out now in this half-hour. Here comes the Jeopardy! round for the three of you. And here come the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT'S MAY (5/5)
ENDS IN "X" (5/5)
FAST FOOD, FAST (3/5)
WHATEVER (3/5)
CLASSIC NOVELS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SOCCER, THE BEAUTIFUL GAME (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cindy: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jack: 9 R, 2 W
Bill: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cindy found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Cindy had $800, Bill had $1,000, and Jack was at $1,000. Cindy wagered $1,000.

CLASSIC NOVELS $1000: In this novel, banned in the U.S. until 1933, Molly Bloom & Stephen Dedalus represent Penelope & Telemachus

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Cindy: $4,200
Bill: $2,200
Jack: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: When I was growing up, we gave up things like candy for Lent. Nowadays things are different. Jack Houston from Lakeside, California, a sophomore at Azusa Pacific. What did you give up for Lent this year?

Jack: Um, I gave up Facebook, actually. Um, one of my professors, uh, Dr. Bruner, um, shout-out to him, uh, gave up, told us, challenged us to give up Facebook for Lent, so I took him up on it, and I...

Alex: How tough was it?

Jack: Um, it was kind of annoying at times not being able to see everybody's pictures, but it was nice to be able to connect with real people.

Alex: Okay. That's good.

Alex: Bill Driscoll, a senior at Stanford, built a robot, but a robot with a purpose.

Bill: Its purpose is to destroy condiment packets.

Alex: Does it do it?

Bill: It does it well. Very well.

Alex: But do you have to feed the condiment packets to it, or will it go out and find them on tables and counters and destroy them?

Bill: Well, sometimes I think it has a mind of its own, but for now, we're safe.

Alex: Yeah? I don't believe you because I think all robots have minds of their own.
It's only a matter of time, folks, only a matter of time.

This young lady, Cindy Cammarn, from Bowdoin College, majors in history and English. Cindy, take a look at this grid work up here. You work in theater.

Cindy: I do.

Alex: And you have a fear of heights.

Cindy: I do.

Alex: And where did they have you working?

Cindy: Um, the first day when we learned about working in the theater, they actually had us climb up to the fly gallery where you fly in the backdrops during a show, and they also had us go up in the genie lift, which is sort of like a cherry picker where you adjust the lights onstage.

Alex: As high as this?

Cindy: If not higher.

Alex: If not higher. Do you still have a fear of heights?

Cindy: I'm getting over it for sure.

Alex: Okay. I'm glad to hear that.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOCCER, THE BEAUTIFUL GAME $200: Soccer is also called this type of "football", hence the short form "soccer"

SOCCER, THE BEAUTIFUL GAME $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue on a soccer field.) Also called a one-two, this play can start with a pass or a throw-in; then the player breaks past the defender into open space for a quick return pass
(Alex: The same as in basketball, [*]. Or in hockey, too.)

FAST FOOD, FAST $600: Dave's hot & juicy half pound double
(Jack: What is Five Guys?)

WHATEVER $400: This is how he looked in high school; today he's a talented actor and director as well

WHATEVER $1000: In "a psalm of life", Longfellow wrote of leaving "behind us" these "on the sands of time"
(Cindy: What are memories?)

FAST FOOD, FAST $1000: Was the Big Fish, now the premium Alaskan fish sandwich
(Jack: What is Long John Silver's?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Cindy: $4,400
Jack: $4,000
Bill: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU'RE CRAZY, ME DRIVING? (4/5)
TV SHOWS BY CHARACTERS (5/5)
WE HAVE A NEW STATE CAPITAL (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RHYME THIS! (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will rhyme with "this".)
COMPOSERS & THEIR MUSIC (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE ABEL PRIZE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cindy: 10 R, 1 W
Bill: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jack: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bill snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Cindy had $4,400, Bill had $200, and Jack was at $2,400. Bill wagered $1,000.

COMPOSERS & THEIR MUSIC $2000: May 2013 marks the 100th anniversary of the premiere of this Stravinsky work & the accompanying riot

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bill who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 5th clue. Cindy had $4,400, Bill had $1,200, and Jack was at $2,400. Bill wagered $2,000.

WE HAVE A NEW STATE CAPITAL $1200: Replacing Wheeling
(Bill: What is Montpelier?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMPOSERS & THEIR MUSIC $1600: Bach wrote a mean passacaglia, like his C minor one for this instrument he also played expertly
(Bill: What is the clavier?)
(Jack: What is the harpsichord?)
(Alex: Bach very famous for playing the [*].)

COMPOSERS & THEIR MUSIC $1200: Even when poor, this 19th century opera composer made sure to dress exquisitely
(Bill: Who is Rossini?)

WE HAVE A NEW STATE CAPITAL $1600: Replacing New Castle

YOU'RE CRAZY, ME DRIVING? $1600: I always wait too long to fill up & spend another $20 replacing this part that gets clogged with gunk from the bottom of the tank
(Jack: What is the filter...the oil filter?)
(Alex: What is the [*], bottom of the gas tank.)

RHYME THIS! $2000: Style of steak pounded & braised in tomatoes & onions

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Cindy: $15,200
Bill: $8,800
Jack: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CONTINENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Cindy: Wager $2,401 to cover Bill, but no more than $6,399 so as not to fall behind Jack's doubled score.
Bill: You have the hope of surpassing Cindy if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,401 to force Cindy to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jack.
Jack: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the continent that’s home to the most U.N. member countries, including a new one added in 2011

FINAL SCORES
Jack: $4,400 + $4,000 = $8,400 (What is Africa?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Bill: $8,800 - $8,799 = $1 (What is Europe?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Cindy: $15,200 - $2,500 = $12,700 (What is Europe?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Cindy: $15,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Bill: $11,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jack: $4,400, 12 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Cindy: 19/59 = .322
Bill: 17/60 = .283
Jack: 13/58 = .224
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ENDS IN "X" $600: It's the nostalgic item seen here

WHATEVER $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew does a demonstration.)The hot water in the bottle rises and floats in the cold; the same principle applies with an underwater volcano, except the hot water changes to this 5-letter emission which causes an explosion

WE HAVE A NEW STATE CAPITAL $800: Replacing Williamsburg
(Cindy: What is...?)

YOU'RE CRAZY, ME DRIVING? $800: You don't want me turning this indicator on for fun

CORRECT RESPONSES
Ulysses
association
give and go
Wendy's
Ben Affleck
footprints
Burger King
Rite of Spring
Charleston
organ
Richard Wagner
Dover
fuel filter
Swiss steak
Africa
jukebox
steam
Richmond
high beams
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Continents
It's the continent that's home to the most U.N. member countries, including a new one added in 2011.

Spoiler
What is Africa? Jack and Cindy both said Europe.

Cindy Cammarn (A Junior from Bowdoin College): $15,200-$2,500=$12,700...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Bill Driscoll (A Senior from Stanford): $8,800-$8,799=$1
Jack Houston (A Sophomore from Asuza Pacific): $4,400+$4,000=$8,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri May 10, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Have we had an Imagine Dragons question? What's the hold-up?

And what about gaming? The kids are about the Bioshock and the Dead Red Redemption.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Austin Powers wrote: And what about gaming? The kids are about the Bioshock and the Dead Red Redemption.
Old news, old man. They asked about Red Dead Dementia years ago in my game.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

hanzz wrote:
Austin Powers wrote: And what about gaming? The kids are about the Bioshock and the Dead Red Redemption.
Dammit, I'm doing what I can to keep up! Someone told me there is now an Assassin's Creed THREE?!?

Throw a Metroid question up there and I'll be the one laughing! You kids probably think Donkey Kong is a good guy!
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

It didn't tape here in DFW... any idea why?
Trandra
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Trandra »

Austin Powers wrote:
hanzz wrote:
Dammit, I'm doing what I can to keep up! Someone told me there is now an Assassin's Creed THREE?!?

Throw a Metroid question up there and I'll be the one laughing! You kids probably think Donkey Kong is a good guy!
There's a Grand Theft Auto V and Assassin's Creed IV coming out this November--you'll never catch up!

Sarcasm off, I'm one of those young whippersnappers a few of you like to disparage on these boards, and I felt the need to defend Red Dead Redemption. It's a beautiful, cinematic game filled with moral conflict on the protagonist's part. You can play it thoughtfully, or you can play thoughtlessly and just kill things.

Today's game was far less brutal to watch than yesterday's, but there were a few triple-stumpers that I again thought were obvious. The FJ only took a moment of thought about what the new country was.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This was a better game than yesterday, but that's about all I'll say for it.

A pretty easy FJ, thanks to Sporcle quizzes. The hint about a new UN in 2011 member was a big help.

I wonder if TPH will leave this one blank, even though he has a 1/7 chance of getting it right by guessing and you can eliminate several of them right away before even starting to think about the clue.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

lisa0012 wrote:It didn't tape here in DFW... any idea why?
Operator error, it aired as usual. :D
Bamaman wrote: I wonder if TPH will leave this one blank, even though he has a 1/7 chance of getting it right by guessing and you can eliminate several of them right away before even starting to think about the clue.
Africa has that many countries? How would I know that? Only heard of South Africa and Egypt.

Plus you gotta know that there are 7 continents. Then you actually have to know them. So.....
ACW

Post by ACW »

I was thinking Afghanistan or Iraq->Asia.
South Sudan.
:oops:
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Agreed, a slightly better game than yesterday, but not by that much...

Swept the May category and was surprised I did all right in some of the -abel questions. Even got Fermat's Theory, algebra and geometry right. Math? For me, an English major? :D

Stunned at some of the misses... hello? A burger named after Dave, and nobody got Wendy''s?

FJ for me was a quick Instaget... with the missus chiming in the new country (South Sudan) for extra credit. Let's see, continents with a new country... Australia, Antarctica, North and South America are off the board. Asia... honking big continent with equally honking big countries. So that leaves Europe and Africa, and just based on the size, went right to Africa.

Perhaps I'm not being fair, but it seemed the lad from Stanford didn't look particularly happy at losing to a) a girl and b) a girl from a college in Maine.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

That Abel category was awesome!

Mikhail Gromov, the guy in the $400 clue, recently mentioned me by name in a paper.

John Milnor, the guy in the $600 clue, was my advisor's advisor, a.k.a. my academic grandpa!

Insta-insta-instaget FJ.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Bamaman wrote: The hint about a new UN in 2011 member was a big help.
Yep, may not have gotten it otherwise.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

BADuBois wrote:Australia, Antarctica, North and South America are off the board. Asia... honking big continent with equally honking big countries. So that leaves Europe and Africa, and just based on the size, went right to Africa.
It's wrong, so good decision, but Asia has more countries than Europe, so I'm not sure why you eliminated it so quickly.

Africa - 54
Asia - 47
Europe - 43 (not sure where Alex's 46 came from, unless he was counting 3 of Turkey, Cyprus, Kosovo and the Vatican, 2 of which the UN groups with Asia and 2 of which are not members)
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I didn't fall for the Europe negbait, though admittedly I thought it had fewer member states than Alex Trebek said (closer to 20, 25 or so). Thought of Asia, then decided that Russia and China take up quite a lot of Asia's space, so I was left with Africa.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

marpocky wrote:
BADuBois wrote:Australia, Antarctica, North and South America are off the board. Asia... honking big continent with equally honking big countries. So that leaves Europe and Africa, and just based on the size, went right to Africa.
It's wrong, so good decision, but Asia has more countries than Europe, so I'm not sure why you eliminated it so quickly.
Guess it pays to be lucky... my WAG was that because of the large size of some of the nations in Asia, it was outweighed by Europe... :)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

BADuBois wrote:
Stunned at some of the misses... hello? A burger named after Dave, and nobody got Wendy''s?

Perhaps I'm not being fair, but it seemed the lad from Stanford didn't look particularly happy at losing to a) a girl and b) a girl from a college in Maine.
They may be past the Dave Thomas era. The regionality of that category was odd. Wienerscnitzel is a place? No Del Tacos around here either.

I feel like that's a bit unfair on our Stanford contestant. He seems competitive and had some misses I bet he wasn't used to. I was rooting hard for the impressive woman from Bowdoin (love the local colleges me she nearly swept TV) so I liked the result, but he's probably more upset at losing his chance at the next round.
Last edited by Fishercat on Thu May 09, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've never seen a Del Taco or that hot dog place and I've never heard of whatever that thing is Burger King sells.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Del Taco & (Der) Wienerschnitzel -- most locations west of the Continental Divide, although surprisingly, Del Taco just opened a location down in Dothan.
Sort of like Jack in the Box, although they have stores in spots east of the Mississippi (Baton Rouge, Nashville, South Carolina).

And when I was growing up, Burger King's fish sandwich was usually known as the Whaler. :lol: