Friday, May 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Friday, May 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Kristen answered "indentured servant", as a Caucasian I am insulted. The show should have edited that answer out. 8-)

First to predict TPH will state there was no way to choose between the Indy and Daytona 500's when sports fans remember Janet Guthrie well.

Great use of the first round DD, he was the best player and deserving champion. Although I'm sure Venusian wagerers will proclaim his poor FJ wager yesterday cost him a lock today.

But today's FJ wagers were downright dreadful. Ugh.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Civil War
The last of the southern states to secede from the Union, it borders 6 of them.

Spoiler
What is Tennessee? Trevor said North Carolina; Kristen said Georgia.

(Game 1 Scores)
Jim Coury: $17,200-$8,600=$8,600
Kristen Jolley: $13,000-$3,000=$10,000
Trevor Walker: $11,800-$800=$11,000

(Game 2 Scores)
Jim: $14,200+$11,789=$25,989
Kristen$8,600-$4,199=$4,401
Trevor: 8,200-$3,601=$4,599

(Total Scores)
Jim: $8,600+$25,989=$34,589...wins $100,000 for first place
Trevor: 11,000=$4,599=$15,599...wins $50,000 for second place
Kristen: $10,000+$4,401=$14,401...wins $25,000 for third place
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

Jim:      8600 14200 22800 37000
Trevor:  11000  8200 19200 27400
Kristen: 10000  8600 18600 27200
Jim: Bet $4,601 to cover Trevor.
Trevor: Bet $8,001 to cover Kristen.
Kristen: You can win on a triple stumper if you wager less than $400.

So two overwagers and an underwager. Jim's overwager ended up not making a difference, but it would have cost him $75,000 if he was wrong (even without an underwager from Trevor). Trevor's underwager and Kristen's overwager worked together to shift $25,000 Trevor's way.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Horrible betting by all three. I'll wait until Stefan posts his analysis before giving my thoughts.

A pretty simple FJ for me, but I used to live in Tennessee so I knew it borders eight states (other two are KY and MO), so that helped me. Georgia only borders five states and NC borders four.

I'd put our college champ in the bronze group for the TOC right now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: First to predict TPH will state there was no way to choose between the Indy and Daytona 500's when sports fans remember Janet Guthrie well.
She raced in the Daytona 500 the same year she first ran the Indy 500. She came in 12th at Daytona.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Jim: 14200 + 11789 (+8600) = 34,589
Kristen: 8600 - 4199 (+10000) = 14,401
Trevor: 8200 - 3601 (+11000) = 15,599

So let's examine Kristen and Trevor first:

If Kristen had gotten it right, she would have had a grand total of 22,799. The only way for her to beat Jim would be if he wagered more than $1 and was wrong. A $0 bet from Jim would have locked her out.

If Trevor had gotten it right, he would have had a grand total of 22,801, meaning Jim would have needed to have gotten it right with a bet of more than $1 to win.

Now for Jim... what the hell was he thinking? The MSB was $4,601. He overwagered by a whopping $7,188. He had no chance of breaking $100,000, so the extra money won on a correct response would have served no purpose. What if he were wrong? He would have dropped to $11,011 in total, which would put him in LAST. If he had made the MSB and was wrong, he ends up with $18,200 and wins anyway. He got EXTREMELY lucky here, making an absurdly large bet that offered him nothing to gain and everything to lose.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was DJ! shorter than usual? It didn't seem remotely slow, yet we had LTAM at a mere 22 clues.

====

Surprised myself with 3/5 in Poems (the middle 3).

Went only 2/5 on Metropolitan. For some reason, I always get Baton Rouge and New Orleans mixed up. Also had a total brain fart on both Washington, D.C. ("That's not a city!" Of course it is, you idiot.) and Los Angeles (almost said San Francisco instead).

Invertebrates should've been a 5/5, but I clammed on the first two, and saw no way to figure out "earthworm".

Metric system is only 200 years old? Surprised at that.

Jesus of Nazareth. I knew that, so why the hell did I say Jerusalem?! Herp derp.

Red Bull vs. Rockstar? I'll take Monster.
Golf wrote:First to predict TPH will state there was no way to choose between the Indy and Daytona 500's when sports fans remember Janet Guthrie well.
I wasn't within 500 miles of getting this clue.

====

Just went around the Southern states. Tennessee is right in the middle, so it borders a lot. Let's count 'em: VA, NC, GA, AL, MS… wasn't sure if KY or AR had seceded, but I figured the sheer number of states that border TN made it obvious. Surprised it was only a single get.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Just lovvvve it when geography questions come out, especially US ones. And poor wager by the kid from gtown.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Was DJ! shorter than usual? It didn't seem remotely slow, yet we had LTAM at a mere 22 clues.
It was probably that Clinton category. Blahblahblahblahblahblah here's Rwanda on a map. Ugh.

I try not to ride the contestants too hard about wagering during Teen/College tournaments, but wtf!? I understand the idea behind Kristen's wager (they both could've locked her out, force Jim to get it right), but it was still off by a dollar despite plenty of time to do the math. In Trevor's shoes I would've tried to lock Kristen out (I also would've gottn FJ right, but whatever), though he's certainly not complaining about the extra 25k in his bank account. Not sure if Jim's wager was showing off, or just plain recklessness.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri May 17, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

The wording of that question messed with my head. By the time I figured out it meant six confederate states I had three seconds left and blurted out Tennessee. Wouldn't have crossed out Kentucky (I know, not Confederate) in time.

Glad Jim won for ToC purposes but the wagering was bizarre.

Seemed like a mistake to leave the Will Farrell category there. High value, gettable clues when all three could have used them.
Last edited by Fishercat on Fri May 17, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Fun game to watch and Trevor seemed to be in control at all time.

Poor Kristen, answering the question concerning Univac and saying "vacuum"... though it did have a lot of vacuum tubes in it!

Was disappointed that additional Will Ferrell questions weren't used; I'm sure a lot of laughs would have ensued.

Wrongly guessed Texas for FJ --- and in my gut knew it was wrong --- but the missus picked it right.

Hilarious mistake by Alex at the end --- '"See you tomorrow!" and then a quick fix, "On Monday!"
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

BTW, for that WWII sci fi clue (the name of the book escapes me), what were they looking for? College professor wasn't enough, but 'history' professor was barely accepted after a lengthy pause, and Alex didn't clarify.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

xxaaaxx wrote:BTW, for that WWII sci fi clue (the name of the book escapes me), what were they looking for? College professor wasn't enough, but 'history' professor was barely accepted after a lengthy pause, and Alex didn't clarify.
I wondered if it was anthropology professor. Or archaeology. Those were the only ones I could think of that did fieldwork.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

Fishercat wrote:The wording of that question messed with my head. By the time I figured out it meant six confederate states I had three seconds left and blurted out Tennessee. Wouldn't have crossed out Kentucky (I know, not Confederate) in time.

Glad Jim won for ToC purposes but the wagering was bizarre.

Seemed like a mistake to leave the Will Farrell category there. High value, gettable clues when all three could have used them.

The Will Farrell category may have been easy points, but I'm glad they left it to last. I am not a fan. Give me Eugene Levy on SCTV any day
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

4/5 in F+ (said "final" instead of "foregone"). Managed to skunk Forget U, though—it's not that my vocabulary needs work, it's that that's not the kind of category where you can expect me to come up with the answer within five seconds.

Tennessee was an assist. Thought of Louisiana, then when my mother said that Tennessee is a long state, I discarded my answer and went with hers. As for the girl from Georgia Tech, you'd think most people would know what borders their home state.
Leander

Post by Leander »

The wording of that question messed with my head. By the time I figured out it meant six confederate states I had three seconds left and blurted out Tennessee. Wouldn't have crossed out Kentucky (I know, not Confederate) in time.
Exactly my problem too. I couldn't figure out if they meant 6 Confederate states or 6 in total. I sort of stumbled into Tennessee, given it was the state surrounded by the most other states.
Last edited by Leander on Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

NYCScribbler wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:BTW, for that WWII sci fi clue (the name of the book escapes me), what were they looking for? College professor wasn't enough, but 'history' professor was barely accepted after a lengthy pause, and Alex didn't clarify.
I wondered if it was anthropology professor. Or archaeology. Those were the only ones I could think of that did fieldwork.
The novel was Blackout by Connie Willis, although it is only a complete story with its sequel All Clear. Both books as a single entry won the Hugo Award. It's next on the queue in my tablet.

The clue said "academic job". They might have been looking for historians, which would cover professors and students. I think most of the people going back in time in the story are students.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Jim! Always nice when a local wins.