Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

marpocky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:In "AROUND THE WORLD" $2000 I thought at first my answer of "East Timor" could also be accepted, since while it's not an Australian state that's directly west of the NT, it is a state. Then I looked at a map, and realized it's more NW of the Northern Territory (although the NT is the closest non-Indonesian land to East Timor. In a couple of million years, though, when tectonic motion pushes Australia more northward towards the Indonesian archipelago, then my answer would also be considered correct.
wat

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that East Timor would come anywhere close to being accepted. Why in the world would you think it would be? It's an independent nation that has nothing to do with Australia.
"State" is also a synonym for country (i.e. "sovereign state"). For some reason that was the definition that my mind went with instead of the subnational definition.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

Mann I feel bad for the champ tim on missing out on the fourth game. He had a shot with the dd's and he would keep going with those sub-face value wagers.

No clue how fourth came out in the fj
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

opusthepenguin wrote:
John Boy wrote:Speaking of the royal family (and to recycle an old "First Family" joke), I wonder if Buckingham Palace has installed a Prince Charles dumbwaiter.
I don't get it. :?
In the early 1960s there was a hugely successful Vaughn Meader comedy album called "The First Family" that lampooned JFK and his family. During a tour of the White House there's a reference to "the Richard Nixon dumbwaiter."
Leander

Post by Leander »

dhkendall wrote:
marpocky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:In "AROUND THE WORLD" $2000 I thought at first my answer of "East Timor" could also be accepted, since while it's not an Australian state that's directly west of the NT, it is a state. Then I looked at a map, and realized it's more NW of the Northern Territory (although the NT is the closest non-Indonesian land to East Timor. In a couple of million years, though, when tectonic motion pushes Australia more northward towards the Indonesian archipelago, then my answer would also be considered correct.
wat

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that East Timor would come anywhere close to being accepted. Why in the world would you think it would be? It's an independent nation that has nothing to do with Australia.
"State" is also a synonym for country (i.e. "sovereign state"). For some reason that was the definition that my mind went with instead of the subnational definition.
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago with this question:

SOUTHERNMOST POINTS $800: Germany's is in this state bordering Austria

I wasn't paying 100% attention to the game and went "What? How can Germany's southernmost point be in a different country." I automatically went to country rather than subnational state.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Who amongst us had not had the experience that Andre related in his interview?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

harrumph wrote:Who amongst us had not had the experience that Andre related in his interview?
Actually, I don't recall ever watching Jeopardy! with ... (how shall I put this?) ... a prospective mate. At least not one who was (or claimed to be) good at it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bpmod wrote:
harrumph wrote:Who amongst us had not had the experience that Andre related in his interview?
Actually, I don't recall ever watching Jeopardy! with ... (how shall I put this?) ... a prospective mate. At least not one who was (or claimed to be) good at it.
I once dated this woman who loved Jeopardy! She had a killer body, but a really annoying voice. Hold on. Sorry. That was the movie "White Men Can't Jump." :D
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:
marpocky wrote:
wat

Ehhhh. I'm pretty sure they would invariably say country or nation, unless it's in a very particular context like "the establishment of this state" referring to Israel or something like that.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jasoni22 wrote:And the next two will be Third and Fifth... provided Elizabeth dies before Charles, which is no sure thing.
Not correct. Monarchs can take any name they want, like popes.

And Dr. Brown is available at my regular grocery.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Not while dating anyone - but no one I know IRL will play any kind of trivia game against me.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Well, I'VE never cremated anybody :D
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

floridagator wrote:And Dr. Brown is available at my regular grocery.
So, when your grocery is short on roughage, no Doc Brown?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
floridagator wrote:And Dr. Brown is available at my regular grocery.
So, when your grocery is short on roughage, no Doc Brown?
If the grocery is short on roughage, it probably is no longer regular.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

QED (did I use that right?)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Paucle wrote:QED (did I use that right?)
What do you think you're trying to prove?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

that the grocery store has no Doc Brown when it's low on roughage.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think "That's the joke" would have made your point a little more clearly.

I didn't get Dr. Brown's, although I've heard of it. My brother got it, but he said "Doc Brown." Acceptable?

I think I've even had the stuff, but I'm not sure when. I mainly know of it because my aunt has told a story of a friend of hers who disliked restaurants' cola situations (which is to say he hated being asked "Is Diet Pepsi okay?" after he'd ordered Diet Coke, or vice versa), and to avoid that, would just ask for "diet brown" (which I think is a bit obnoxious, but I digress). I think the story goes that he stopped doing this after an unpleasant experience when someone took his "diet brown" order without question, and he was served Diet Dr. Brown's. (I'm hazy on details, but I would guess black cherry was the flavor.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I don't do relationships, so I haven't had that, but when I was in the Navy, everyone wanted me on their Trivial Pursuit team.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Dr. Brown's is sold in most of New Jersey I suppose.