Monday, July 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Opera
This 1871 opera is set in Memphis & Thebes, & along the banks of the Nile.

Spoiler
What is Aida?

Mark Japinga: $16,700+$501=$17,201...now a 3-day champion with $76,700
Deborah Stowell: $8,600+$8,101=$16,701
Bradley King: $5,600+$5,599=$11,199
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Something seemed a little off about the clues in J! today. Many of them, including $400 and $800 in 1983 and the bottom two July observances, seemed very "you know it or you don't".

I went 0/5 in 1983 and Natural Wonders (said "coral reef" on $400, but wouldn't have gotten it on the BMS). Was about to say "basketball" on $200 in High, but "bucket" threw me greatly.

That said, I ran Vwllss with ease.

That lemon tree clue was also extremely "you know it or you don't" as well. I saw no way at all to get that one, but it could just be since I would think nothing of eating a lemon straight.

Anna Karenina's beginning I knew from seeing in FoxTrot a long time ago.

$2000 was my only miss in both A to E and Traffic.

Yeah, I'm so not getting this FJ! right.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Rather anticlimatic FJ there.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Good game. I was a bit worried after his rough start, but then he turned it on and never looked back. I blinked, and he had16K.

Instaget FJ. 19th C. Opera + Egypt? Too easy. (I'm sure others exist, but J! isn't going to ask about them in a regular game)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Here's my thought process for FJ.

"Opera? Oh crud. Not my topic. I hope I can remember some of those basics that I tried to brush up on, and I hope the clue requires only superficial knowledge along the lines of 'match title to character' or 'match title to setting'."

Then, I was like, "I'm pretty sure I remember that Aida is an opera set in Egypt. Is that all there is to it? I sure hope so."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No way was I getting that FJ right.

Bad DD bet on the last clue. The scores at the time were.....

$17,000
$8,600
$5,600

His $2,300 bet hurt him. by getting it wrong, he has no chance at a lock even if he gets the last clue. Even if he had gotten it right, he still wasn't assured a lock as second could break it by getting the last clue.

His best options were....

1. More than $200 and less than $1,800. by doing this, if he gets it right, he has a lock going into the last clue and keeps it if he or third gets it right or if it is a TS. If he gets it wrong, he can still grab a lock if he gets the last clue right or if second gets it wrong.

2. More than $4,200. If he does this and gets it right, he has a lock as long as he does not get the last clue wrong. The downside is he has no chance at a lock if he is wrong.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $76,700, Mark moves into seventh place in the 2013-14 ToC standings.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Deborah was my lab partner in HS AP bio class! Color me surprised to see her 25 years later...go Glenbard East class of '88!

She made a good run, and I thought she might have him when we saw Ben writing what looked like a lot of words.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:No way was I getting that FJ right.

Bad DD bet on the last clue. The scores at the time were.....

$17,000
$8,600
$5,600

His $2,300 bet hurt him. by getting it wrong, he has no chance at a lock even if he gets the last clue. Even if he had gotten it right, he still wasn't assured a lock as second could break it by getting the last clue.

His best options were....

1. More than $200 and less than $1,800. by doing this, if he gets it right, he has a lock going into the last clue and keeps it if he or third gets it right or if it is a TS. If he gets it wrong, he can still grab a lock if he gets the last clue right or if second gets it wrong.

2. More than $4,200. If he does this and gets it right, he has a lock as long as he does not get the last clue wrong. The downside is he has no chance at a lock if he is wrong.
Yeah, I'm guessing he figured that since a $300 bet would give him the lock, adding $2000 to it would cover him for the last $2000 clue, when he actually would have needed to add $4000 to it to cover Deborah's potential maximum score. I figured his options about the same as you did, and figured a bet of $500 or so was much preferable to the $4200+ bet. That would just be too much to risk in that spot, as it would knock him down enough to potentially keep both 2nd and 3rd alive heading to FJ, and possibly keep him from having a 2/3 or 3/4 position, so that he might have to get FJ right to win.

As it turned out, wagering between $200 and $1800 would have been the best play, as he missed the DD but got the final $2000 clue, and the final get would have given him back the lock. None of it wound up mattering in the end, with the triple get FJ, but with a different category/clue, that DD wager could have proved quite costly.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Dr. J wrote:Deborah was my lab partner in HS AP bio class! Color me surprised to see her 25 years later...go Glenbard East class of '88!

She made a good run, and I thought she might have him when we saw Ben writing what looked like a lot of words.
I thought she played well, as demonstrated in the number of bottom row clues she got.

Champ seems decent but he whiffed on three gettable DDs.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

The FJ! clue I found hard. It's obvious that they wanted an opera set in Egypt, but opera being something I'm crap at, I'd probably have had better luck on a sinking ship in the middle of the ocean. Aida was an assist here. (Does Aida have anything to do with Cleopatra, by any chance?)

Got the first three in "Mighty" and I believe vwllss as well.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I went 0/5 in 1983
You never learned about Sally Ride in school!?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Opera in Egypt? If there's one other than Aida, I'm sunk.

Unless I'm mis-remembering, Mark found-- and missed-- all three DDs. One was incredibly gettable (hippo in that latin classification name doesn't scream "horse" to you? ) but the other two were a bit tougher. "The Hitler Diaries" is essentially KIOD, and "adulterate" is, shall we say, SIOD (suss it or don't). It's either going to strike you or not. Some days you get that type of clue, some you don't.
TenPoundHammer wrote:That lemon tree clue was also extremely "you know it or you don't" as well. I saw no way at all to get that one, but it could just be since I would think nothing of eating a lemon straight.
It's a very "hummable" song for a certain generation, but you're right on the sussability if you don't know it cold. The lyrics offered don't lend itself well to figuring it out. What's impossible to eat about a lemon? Not like they're spiked and electrically charged. Like you, I eat'em straight. (Well, not like an orange, but section/ suck dry.)

A funny way to end the grandmother interview, when Alex seemed to imply she should try out, might've been, "Well, maybe not. For instance, I'm sure she knew Lech Walesa-- problem is, she's just ringing in on it right now."
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Austin Powers wrote:Rather anticlimatic FJ there.
It was pretty easy.

Way to go, Mark! You hung in there and pulled out the win.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote: A funny way to end the grandmother interview, when Alex seemed to imply she should try out, might've been, "Well, maybe not. For instance, I'm sure she knew Lech Walesa-- problem is, she's just ringing in on it right now."
This is why all Boardies should get The Call! Not only are we smart and know our wagering scenarios cold, but we also have much better contestant stories and are very witty. (Seriously the fact that we have a rank of "In the Jeopardy! Pool" is baffling to me.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

StrangerCoug wrote:You never learned about Sally Ride in school!?
I did, but I couldn't remember what she was on. Anything space-related leaves me cold.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

At home, I just said "Space Shuttle" for that one. Do you think they would have accepted it, or asked for a BMS?
KeithAR2002
Contributor

Post by KeithAR2002 »

So happy to see so many multi-day winning champs this ToC cycle. We already have, what, six, seven contestants that have won at least five games?

Two with 8 wins. (Drew & Ben)
One with 6 wins. (Andrew)
Two with 5 wins. (Joshua & Rebecca)
One with 4 wins. (Mike)

Plus, we've got a couple high scoring three 3x winners(Adam & Sara).. Here's hoping that Mark can get to the 5x mark. As of now, I'm quite impressed with how well the champs are hanging in there! Games where we have a revolving door of one day champs aren't as exciting, IMO.
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
Paucle wrote: A funny way to end the grandmother interview, when Alex seemed to imply she should try out, might've been, "Well, maybe not. For instance, I'm sure she knew Lech Walesa-- problem is, she's just ringing in on it right now."
This is why all Boardies should get The Call! Not only are we smart and know our wagering scenarios cold, but we also have much better contestant stories and are very witty. (Seriously the fact that we have a rank of "In the Jeopardy! Pool" is baffling to me.)
I'm not so sure that pointing out that your grandmother is old and slow is the best way into viewers' hearts....let alone your grandmother's...;) But here's to l'esprit d'escalier!

I wonder if the FJ get rate would have dropped if the clue gave only "Memphis" as a setting...