Thursday, October 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6689, 2013-10-17

CONTESTANTS
Korin Kormick, an opera singer from Jersey City, New Jersey
John Emery, a graduate student of financial engineering from Brandon, Florida
Stuart Anderson, a JAG originally from New Orleans, Louisiana (whose 2-day cash winnings total $26,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us today. Good champion in Stuart, and good challengers in John and Korin. So, good luck to all three of you. Let's go to work. Here are the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ROLLING STONES (1/3)
UNPACK YOUR ADJECTIVES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
KENTUCKY-ANA (5/5)
LANGUAGES IN THE USA (4/5)
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (4/5)
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: CELEBRATING 125 YEARS (5/5) (Alex: And as a matter of fact, the 125th anniversary issue will focus on the power of photography, as will most of our clues.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stuart: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
John: 7 R, 1 W
Korin: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stuart: $4,600
John: $800
Korin: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: K.K., Korin Kormick from Jersey City, New Jersey. An opera singer who can do something, and I hope I'm not gonna put you on the spot by asking you about this. It says here you can whistle in two-part harmony.

Korin: I can, so, for a demonstration...[ whistles "jeopardy!" theme ]

Alex: How many tongues you got in there?
[ applause ] That's good.

Korin: Same as everyone else. Thank you.

Alex: All right.

Alex: John Emery is our challenger also. He's a graduate student of financial engineering. But I don't want to talk about that. I want to talk about something that probably is more exciting for you, and it has to do with a sport, an activity --bowling.

John: Yes.

Alex: You bowled...

John: A 299, and I choked.

Alex: What happened? You missed by one?

John: I had never been anywhere near that, and I choked the last three shots, got lucky, got lucky, and then the last one was terrible.

Alex: A lot better than my 110.

Alex: Stuart Anderson is our champion. He is a JAG,
which stands for...

Stuart: Judge Advocate General.

Alex: Okay. You're an attorney with the air force.

Stuart: Yes, sir.

Alex: But you do pro bono work with the servicemen...

Stuart: Right.

Alex: ...who serve where you do.

Stuart: Every week, everybody in the office helps out.
We have time set aside for service members or dependents. Families come in. And we deal with any kind of personal civil legal matters, whether it's family law --You want to get married in Italy...

Alex: Ok.

Stuart: ...You want to contest a bill.

Alex: So, you're not just restricted to criminal activity...

Stuart: No.

Alex: ...as might be the case with your usual work, but this is helping on the civil side.

Stuart: Absolutely.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stuart found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Stuart had $5,600, John had $1,400, and Korin was at $1,200. Stuart wagered $3,000.

UNPACK YOUR ADJECTIVES $1000: Cheerful, or tending to float in a fluid

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LANGUAGES IN THE USA $1000: Geonbae! U.S. home speakers of this language quadrupled between 1980 & 2010, to around 1.1 million

THE ROLLING STONES $800: After 30 years, this bassist retired from the band in 1992

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $1000: This measure of computer speed equals 1 trillion (with a "T") floating-point operations per second
(Stuart: What is a terabyte?)

THE ROLLING STONES $1000: This multi-instrumentalist drowned in his own swimming pool in 1969
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stuart: $8,800
John: $2,400
Korin: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OTHER ROLLING STONES (5/5)
COMIC BOOK WOMEN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
16th CENTURY WRITING (3/5)
U.S. GOVERNORS (2/5)
PEAKS & VALLEYS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"V-E" DAY (5/5) (Alex: Each response will start with the letters "V-E")

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stuart: 9 R, 1 W
John: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Korin: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Stuart had $8,800, John had $2,800, and Korin was at $2,000. John wagered $1,200.

COMIC BOOK WOMEN $800: When she was introduced, she worked on The Daily Star
(Who is The Invisible Woman?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was John who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Stuart had $14,800, John had $5,200, and Korin was at $4,400. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

PEAKS & VALLEYS $800: Silvius was an old name for this Swiss peak known for its pyramid shape

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
U.S. GOVERNORS $800: Seen here,
she's the current governor of Arizona

16th CENTURY WRITING $800: With knee-slappers like "Is she a widow? I love her better therefore", "Ralph Roister Doister" is the oldest English one
(Alex: It's the oldest English [*]. Really funny. Yeah. [laughter])

16th CENTURY WRITING $1200: John Skelton's satire "Collyn Clout" was directed against this cardinal & adviser to Henry VIII
(Stuart: Who is Thomas More?)

U.S. GOVERNORS $1600: This former New Mexico governor
was the Libertarian candidate
for president in 2012

U.S. GOVERNORS $2000: On Jan. 27, 2010 Governor Bob McDonnell of this state gave the GOP response to the State of the Union address

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stuart: $20,400
John: $12,400
Korin: $11,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRADEMARKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Stuart: Wager $4,401 to cover John.
John: You have the hope of surpassing Stuart if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,001 to force Stuart to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Korin.
Korin: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $11,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Facebook & TiVo have both claimed trademarks for an icon representing this gesture

FINAL SCORES
Korin: $11,200 + $5,800 = $17,000 (What is a thumbs-up?) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $12,400 + $12,400 = $24,800 (What is a thumbs up?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Stuart: $20,400 + $4,401 = $24,801 (What is thumbs-up?) (3-day champion: $51,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stuart: $18,400, 22 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Korin: $11,200, 11 R, 0 W
John: $9,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Stuart: 23/59 = .390
John: 16/60 = .267
Korin: 12/58 = .207
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
KENTUCKY-ANA $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) The rolling plateaus
of Lexington, Kentucky's Fayette County are covered with Poa Pratensis, also known as this, the name of a region here and a type of music

KENTUCKY-ANA $1000: The Kentucky bourbon Old Tub was renamed this. for the man who rebuilt the family business after prohibition
(Who is Johnnie Walker?)
(Alex: [*], yes, that's bourbon. Johnnie Walker is scotch.)

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: CELEBRATING 125 YEARS $200: The magazine ran several articles by this man whom the National Geographic
Society sponsored

on 37 expeditions

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: CELEBRATING 125 YEARS $400: Perhaps the most iconic cover photo is of Sharbat Gula, a then-12-year-old refugee from this country

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: CELEBRATING 125 YEARS $800: In September of 1960, the magazine reported the first world-famous find by this husband-and-wife pair

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: CELEBRATING 125 YEARS $1000: In a 2004 article, this man, who found the Titanic 19 years earlier, surveys damage done to the wreck
by the curious and greedy

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: CELEBRATING 125 YEARS $600: The April 2002 issue revealedthe oldest known (by 700 years) mural of this Central American people
from 100 A.D.

COMIC BOOK WOMEN $400: Born on Paradise Island, she was the first prominent female superhero of comics

COMIC BOOK WOMEN $1200: A descendent of an ancient line of sorceresses, she can control the weather and has led the x-men
on occasion

COMIC BOOK WOMEN $2000: This Batman villainess combines her natural allure with hypnotic plant toxins to manipulate men

OTHER ROLLING STONES $2000: The beetle seen here is named for this Corinthian king
who had trouble with rolling a big stone

PEAKS & VALLEYS $1600: Clingmans Dome, Tennessee's highest peak, is also known as this, so sing a song when you're "on top of" it
(Stuart: [*]? [pauses] Oh, What is [*]?)
(Alex: Thank you.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
buoyant
Korean
Bill Wyman
teraflop
Brian Jones
Lois Lane
the Matterhorn
Jan Brewer
comedy
Cardinal Wolsey
Gary Johnson
Virginia
thumbs up
bluegrass
Jim Beam
Jacques Cousteau
Afghanistan
(Louis and Mary) Leakey
(Robert) Ballard
the Maya
Wonder Woman
Storm
Poison Ivy
Sisyphus
Old Smoky
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Trademarks
Facebook & Tivo have both claimed trademarks for an icon representing this gesture.

Spoiler
What is a thumbs up?

Stuart Anderson: $20,400+$4,401=$24,801...now a 3-day champion with $51,601
John Emery: $12,400+$12,400=$24,800
Korin Kormick: $11,200+5,800=$17,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

We need a medley of all the contestants who have performed the Think music.

I think my best bowling score was 60. I have a hook so bad that I can get a gutter ball… two lanes down.

====

Pennsylvania Dutch = German? Buoyant = Cheerful?! Huh?

For some reason, I can never remember whether a pint is bigger or smaller than a quart.

The heck is a "teraflop"? I was so sure that megahertz was right, that Alex's "you were close" completely rattled me.

National Geographic went completely over my head. I wasn't within a million miles of any of those.

====

What was supposed to lead you to Latin on 16th Century Writing for $400? I saw no TOM in there whatsoever.

I could've gone 4/5 in Comic Book Women (everything but Storm), but I was [s]distracted by the sexy[/s] extremely clammy because of my very limited knowledge in that category. I just can't get into superheroes.

====

Easy FJ! is easy, unless you miss the word "gesture".
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

17/28 and 12/30. Aced comics and failed on 16th century lit because I went with Ben Jonson instead of Christopher Marlowe. Daw. Also, only one in V-E I got was vector. Touch weird.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Swept Comic Book Women in true nerd fashion.
Spoiler
Yeah, I totally said Diana Prince, Ororo Munroe, and Pamela Isley for the three pictures.
Easy FJ! if ever I saw one, which is refreshing.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh yeah, that "VE" was hard. I usually do well on word categories, but $400 was my only get. I've never even heard of those middle three before.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh yeah, that "VE" was hard. I usually do well on word categories, but $400 was my only get. I've never even heard of those middle three before.
As far as vocabulary went, the verdant difficult (or so I veldt).

Were both of the DJ DDs in the second row? Weird.
Wasn't positive on FJ, but took a stab. Having been lulled into premature glee the past two nights when first reveal matched me, I was almost disappointed when my answer showed up as Korin's. But finally the clues aligned!
Need tomorrow's to beat .500 for the week.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Too much knowledge on the bourbon question. I keyed off the first word in "Old Tub" and said Old Forrester. (Interestingly [not all that interesting], Kentuckiana is the nickname for the Louisville metro area.)

FJ insta-get. I would have been sore tempted to draw a thumbs-up along with the words.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh yeah, that "VE" was hard. I usually do well on word categories, but $400 was my only get. I've never even heard of those middle three before.
As far as vocabulary went, the verdant difficult (or so I veldt).

Were both of the DJ DDs in the second row? Weird.
Wasn't positive on FJ, but took a stab. Having been lulled into premature glee the past two nights when first reveal matched me, I was almost disappointed when my answer showed up as Korin's. But finally the clues aligned!
Need tomorrow's to beat .500 for the week.
I apparently have been living under a very big rock, so I need tomorrow's to avoid checking the Box of Shame on this week's poll.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My only concern in FJ was that I'd have thought "thumbs up" would have been trademarked by Siskel and Ebert years ago, but I guess they were talking about the little icon you click and not the gesture itself.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a good board for the most part. "Vector" should not have been at the bottom of the board, though.

In the category on The Rolling Stones, I knew the $1000 Brian Jones clue but had no idea on the $800 Bill Wyman clue. I thought that the story behind Brian Jones' death was pretty famous.

I was surprised that the clue on Gary Johnson was a triple stumper. It was the only clue other than the $400 one that I knew in that category.

FJ was an instant get.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Paucle wrote:Need tomorrow's to beat .500 for the week.
Same here. I missed Tuesday and Wednesday, so I was relieved that today's was one I was reasonably sure I had figured out. (I made my guess because of Facebook, not because of Tivo. I still own a VCR!)
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

StevenH wrote:I was surprised that the clue on Gary Johnson was a triple stumper.
I agree that that was surprising, but I admit that I clammed on it. I couldn't quite come up with the name in time. I was like, "That guy with the really common name", but I get his name mixed up with that of Bill Richardson, another New Mexico governor.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

skullturf wrote:
StevenH wrote:I was surprised that the clue on Gary Johnson was a triple stumper.
I agree that that was surprising, but I admit that I clammed on it. I couldn't quite come up with the name in time. I was like, "That guy with the really common name", but I get his name mixed up with that of Bill Richardson, another New Mexico governor.
I called him "Gary Richardson".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'm amazed at the cow eyes on the Rolling Stones category. I was also surprised at their blank stares for Gary Johnson & Cardinal Wolsey but otherwise they all played well. I thought the woman would just sit there but she acquitted herself nicely in DJ. Best game this week? FJ was easy but what does thumbs up mean on TiVo? I have a DVR but I've never seen a TiVo.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

Yeah, the Rolling Stones category was the "shout at the TV" category of the night for me. I mean, I realize everyone has their "pet" areas, and classic rock or popular music from about 1965 to 1995 is one of mine, but I was a little surprised that none of three Jeopardy contestants knew that "Rolling Stone who drowned to death" = "Brian Jones". (I also got Bill Wyman without much trouble, but I suppose I can understand the names of the not-Mick-or-Keith members blurring together a bit in people's minds.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead you to Latin on 16th Century Writing for $400? I saw no TOM in there whatsoever.
Anyone wanna take this? I looked at that clue five times and still see absolutely nothing that could possibly lead to Latin.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead you to Latin on 16th Century Writing for $400? I saw no TOM in there whatsoever.
Anyone wanna take this? I looked at that clue five times and still see absolutely nothing that could possibly lead to Latin.
My response to the clue was to remain clam, but I said, "It's either English or Latin."

They wanted a language that schoolkids in Britain studied. The clue didn't contain the word "English", so that could have been it -- but really, although I didn't get it, they were probably just going for "language studied in school, especially a few centuries ago" = "Latin".
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

skullturf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
My response to the clue was to remain clam, but I said, "It's either English or Latin."

They wanted a language that schoolkids in Britain studied. The clue didn't contain the word "English", so that could have been it -- but really, although I didn't get it, they were probably just going for "language studied in school, especially a few centuries ago" = "Latin".
Pretty much my logic. I figured it couldn't be English, because why would they ask about a British book teaching English? Latin was the only other language that made any sort of sense.