Tuesday, October 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6697, 2013-10-29

CONTESTANTS
Marge Lindblom, a lawyer from Larchmont, New York
Sean Kram, a barista from Edmonds, Washington
Molly Kossoff, a beauty-industry magazine editor from West Hills, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,100)

OPENING REMARKS
I want to start you folks off at home with a question, not an answer, to begin the program today. How would you like to enjoy a fabulous vacation in Machu Picchu?

We'll tell you all about it a little later on in the program.

But right now we welcome Marge and Sean, our newcomers, and, Molly, good to have you back with us.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNERS (4/5)
FAST FOOD PLACES (5/5)
"UGA" (5/5)
CHUCK A... (5/5)
I CAN'T STOP THIS FEELING (4/5)
DEEP INSIDE OF ME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Molly: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Marge: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Molly: $2,600
Sean: $2,000
Marge: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Marge Lindblom is an attorney from Larchmont, New York, who went away to her first sleep-away camp when?

Marge: This past summer.

Alex: Really?

Marge: Yes, I was very excited. I went to piano camp. And it was all adults, and it was a small group, and we had lessons and rehearsals and working in chamber-music groups. About six hours a day of piano playing. It was fabulous.

Alex: Fortunately, you didn't have to bring your own piano.

Marge: Yes, thank goodness.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Sean Kram from Edmonds, Washington, is a barista. What's a barista?

Sean: A barista is a fancy, semi --eh...semi-hoity term for a man who makes coffee, or a woman who makes coffee. So I make coffee.

Alex: Good for you. Now, your ambition is not to stay with coffee. It has something to do with NASCAR, I understand.

Sean: It does. It's my deep, dark secret. I mean, liberal-arts major from the northwest, but I started following the stock-car racing from an early age. And over the years, I've played with my Hot Wheels and called the races when I was a kid. And it got to the point that my lifelong ambition was to actually do that for real, to be the man in the booth calling the ultimate finishes. I just liked that the colors were bright and my guy was winning.

Alex: All you need is an opportunity.

Sean: That's right.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Now we come to our champion, ladies and gentlemen. You would think I would have the feeling of having arrived being the host of "Jeopardy!" for 30 years and having other shows feature "Jeopardy!" on their half-hour sitcoms or being the subject on crossword puzzles, but, no. You've arrived when you are featured on fingernails as polish.

Molly: [shows off her fingernails each with a little portrait of Alex Trebek.] It's full nerd. I've gone full nerd.

Alex: Thank you very much.

Molly: Of course.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Molly had $2,600, Sean had $3,800, and Marge was at $1,800. Sean wagered $1,200.

DEEP INSIDE OF ME $800: About 80% of this organ can be removed without creating an insufficiency of the insulin it produces

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNERS $600: He had "The Right Stuff" to win for his book about Chuck Yeager, Alan Shepard & others

I CAN'T STOP THIS FEELING $1000: I gotta wear this brand of pants - the stripes are slimming, right?

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sean: $7,400
Molly: $4,600
Marge: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GNOME, SWEET GNOME (5/5)
MANNED SPACE FLIGHT (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
The New York Times ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO CLICK (3/4)
RIDING ON THE METRO (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLANT THE FLAG (4/5)
STRANGE RHYMES (5/5) (Each correct response will rhyme with strange.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Molly: 10 R, 0 W
Sean: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Marge: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marge snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Molly had $9,800, Sean had $9,000, and Marge was at $11,800. Marge wagered $2,000.

RIDING ON THE METRO $2000: Duke Ellington knew this NYC metro line that runs from Manhattan to Far Rockaway

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sean who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Molly had $11,000, Sean had $11,000, and Marge was at $13,000. Sean wagered $2,500.

MANNED SPACE FLIGHT $1200: This lunar excursion module used by Armstrong & Aldrin was left in orbit & has crash-landed

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLANT THE FLAG $2000: An eagle sits on a flowering nopal cactus in the center of the flag of this country

MANNED SPACE FLIGHT $400: The last Saturn V rocket was launched on May 14, 1973 to lift this first U.S. space station into orbit

MANNED SPACE FLIGHT $2000: Her main qualifications for her June 1963 flight were being a parachutist & a good Communist

The New York Times ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO CLICK $2000: (I'm legal columnist Linda Greenhouse.) In a multimedia feature, I gave a tour of the papers of this Supreme Court Justice who wrote the majority opinion in Roe v. Wade & about whom I've also written a book
(Marge: Um...This is terrible. Who is -- he's from Minnesota and the Minnesota Twins. And I am totally blanking on his name.)
(Alex: And you took about 15 seconds to tell us that, and as a result, it cost you 2,000.)
(Alex: [*]...)
(Marge: Of course.)
(Alex: ...was the supreme court justice.)
(Marge: Totally embarrassing.)

[end-of-round signal sounds]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $16,700
Molly: $14,200
Marge: $11,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE COMEDIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sean: Wager $11,701 to cover Molly.
Molly: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Marge, hoping that you give the correct response and Sean doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $7,801 to cover Marge's doubled score, but no more than $9,200 if you want to top Sean on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,199 and win if both Sean and Marge miss Final.
Marge: You ought to try wagering between $3,201 and $4,600. This will top a $0 wager by Molly while still beating Sean and Molly on the Triple Stumper (should Sean wager to cover Molly's doubled score and Molly wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The hero of this 1993 comedy says he's "been stabbed, shot, poisoned, frozen, hung, electrocuted & burned"

FINAL SCORES
Marge: $11,000 - $4,000 = $7,000 (What is Franken) (3rd place: $1,000)
Molly: $14,200 + $12,000 = $26,200 (What is Groundhog Day) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sean: $16,700 + $11,701 = $28,401 (What is Groundhog Day?) (New champion: $28,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sean: $15,000, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Molly: $14,200, 20 R, 1 W
Marge: $11,000, 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Molly: 21/58 = .362
Sean: 21/60 = .350
Marge: 13/59 = .220
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"UGA" $400: The Carnival cruise with this name, for older women & younger men, only sailed once
[Marge laughs at the response]
(Alex: Yeaaah, and the way you're smi- you didn't- no- I don't want to know if you did.)
[everyone laughs]

NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNERS $400: (I'm CNN correspondent Lizzie O'Leary. Katharine Boo's reportage in "Behind the Beautiful Forevers" captures life's inequalities in the slums of this Indian city & commerical [sic] center

CHUCK A... $600: Heave a 16-pound sphere called this 74 feet & you'll have an Olympic record
(Molly: What's a discus?)

CHUCK A... $800: Toss a heavy wooden pole called a caber at these "games" held in Inverness, Scotland every summer
(Marge: What are the Scottish Games?)

The New York Times ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO CLICK $400: (I'm Frank Bruni) My 2013 blog post titles "'I Do' & the ACLU" points out that the number of states allowing this doubled from 6 to 12 in about a year

The New York Times ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO CLICK $800: (I'm David Carr.) On the "Media Decoder" blog I've been following this NETFLIX series that shows Washington officials & yes, even a few journalists, in a harsh light

GNOME, SWEET GNOME $800: The roaming gnome seen here is the mascot of this online company

MANNED SPACE FLIGHT $800: The monument seen here at pad 14 at Cape Canaveral honors the men of this program
(Marge: What is Apollo 7?)

MANNED SPACE FLIGHT $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a diagram of the Earth, moon, and a spacecraft.) 205,000 miles away from Earth, an explosion forced a free return trajectory around the moon for this Apollo flight, landing in the Pacific 4 terrifying days later

The New York Times ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO CLICK $1200: (I'm Andrew Ross Sorkin.) I founded DealBook, a Times Financial blog that covers stories like this company's aquisition of Tumblr, which we called "putting the exclamation point back in the company name"

CORRECT RESPONSES
the pancreas
Tom Wolfe
Zubaz
the "A" train
the Eagle
Mexico
Skylab
Valentina Tershkova
Harry Blackmun
Groundhog Day
the cougar cruise
Mumbai
a shotput
the Highland Games
gay marriage
House of Cards
Travelocity
the Mercury program (the Mercury seven accepted)
Apollo 13
Yahoo!
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Movie Comedies
The hero of this 1993 comedy says he's "been stabbed, shot, poisoned, frozen, hung, electrocuted & burned".

Spoiler
What is Groundhog Day? Marge had something that looked like "Franken".

Sean Kram: $16,700+$11,701=$28,401...now a 1-day champion with $28,401
Molly Kossoff: $14,200+$12,000=$26,200
Marge Lindblom: $11,000-$4,000=$7,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Interesting Alex commented on movies featuring the show during the chats. You can see more of Molly's nails in the preview video. Not sure if I saw a spoiler from later in the week, so beware.

I liked Marge until her babbling on the last clue cost us finishing the boards. Though she did redeem herself by a smart wager where she wins on a TS. Unfortunately, the other two have both seen the movie.

I've seen it as well, so it was an instaget for me. I wonder if anyone who has never seen it will get it.

Sean is a good player, but his head bobbing got on my nerves.

I know Alex isn't the hippest dude in the world, but not knowing what a barrista is?
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Bamaman wrote:...I wonder if anyone who has never seen it will get it.....
I haven't seen it and I got it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
How?
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Bamaman wrote:How?
The plot is well-known.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Instaget FJ! A classic.

I thought they boards were pretty easy today.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was I supposed to know "Cougar Cruise"? That seemed really obscure, especially considering it was just a blip on the news radar three years ago.

Sean's interview seemed kinda long.

Happily ran Fast Food. I have only ever seen one McDonald's that sells the Daily Double, and it's no longer open.

Went 0/5 on National Book Award. Not a glimmer of recognition on any of them.

I knew Kuala Lumpur but couldn't pull it out, but Zubaz was a total NHOI. 3/5 there.

Should've run Deep Inside, but I blanked on jugular and stupidly said trachea instead of eustachian because I misread the clue.

====

Flags made me think of a certain boardie.

Gnome was just about the last category I expected to run, but I did, thanks to me finally managing not to mix up Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis.

I should've run Metro too, but was too slow on BART and Boston/MTA.

0/5 in Space.

Would've been 4/5 on Strange Rhyme. PX threw me because I had "p… exchange" and couldn't see a way to get "post" out of it, then clammed on "Grange" because I wasn't sure if there was more to it.

====
Bamaman wrote:I've seen it as well, so it was an instaget for me. I wonder if anyone who has never seen it will get it.
Just the opposite for me. I've seen it at least twice, but the litany of injuries had me thinking superheroes of some sort, and refusing to budge. I almost put down Judge Dredd just to have something.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

It was nice to see a high-scoring, competitive game, but.... flag of a country that features an eagle landing on a cactus? A Russian woman who went into space? Oh boy.

If the answer is "Chia," I really think you should respond with "Cha cha cha chia!"

Is it just me, or was the guy who won wearing vampire teeth, perhaps because of Halloween?

The correct answer is one of the very outstanding movies out there, and I don't trust folks who don't like it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I've seen it as well, so it was an instaget for me. I wonder if anyone who has never seen it will get it.
Or if someone like me, who has seen it half-a-dozen times at least, won't have a clue and draw a blank ...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Bamaman wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:
How?
It's a movie where the main character apparently dies over and over again. Almost like he's living the same day over and over! Anyway, it's certainly a movie that's well known enough that it's very reasonably canonical.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I precalled Ghostbusters due to the time of year, but didn't mind being wrong in this case. Great film and an instaget.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

That segment with Marge going on in what was ultimately the last clue may be the weirdest thing I've ever seen with Jeopardy. Has there ever been anything remotely like that before?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

UniquePerspective wrote:That segment with Marge going on in what was ultimately the last clue may be the weirdest thing I've ever seen with Jeopardy. Has there ever been anything remotely like that before?
It was great. She clearly would have made it to Blackmun at some point (I think he was Mayo Clinic counsel, don't know if she said that), but Alex was like, nuh-uh, not gonna have it. I wish that would happen more often.

Given how the contestants did take some time in picking questions... how does this board almost get completely revealed, but ones last week would wind up five questions short? I don't get this.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Miscellaneous observations on tonight's game:

Are any of you like me, and, if you happen to get the first several clues in the game all correct, you try to "keep the streak going", even if it means just plain guessing? I did that by picking Calcutta/Kolkata over Bombay/Mumbai for the Book Award clue that mentioned a large Indian city. I had no idea and it was a total guess, but if you have a perfect streak going (however short), the only way you can stay perfect is if you say something. After getting that wrong, I clammed all the remaining ones that I didn't know.

For Tereshkova, I'm willing to bet that one or more contestants could almost think of her name -- "Valentina somebody! It starts with a T! There's a K and a SH somewhere in the middle!" -- but hesitated because they weren't sure they wouldn't mangle the pronunciation, transposing syllables or inserting an extra one.

I clammed on Mexico too. And I knew they must be going for a country in or near Central America. But I've never actually looked closely at the Mexican flag. I knew it had some sort of bird, but I never knew what kind, and I never looked closely at what was at the bird's feet.

I did get "Sri Lanka" in that category, purely on an educated guess. It wanted a country in the Indian Ocean, and the word "Bodhi" looked vaguely Indian-ish with the "DH" combo, so I just thought "Country in the Indian Ocean near India." Besides, how many countries are there in the Indian Ocean? I'd say Sri Lanka and Madagascar are the two most obvious ones. I think maybe the Maldives and the Seychelles are some others.

I got FJ. It's one of my favorite movies. But I thought it might be a tough one to tease out for people who aren't familiar with that movie.

Interestingly, it wasn't quite an instaget for me -- it was one of those ones that took me about 1 to 1.5 seconds. My first reaction was, "That line sounds oh so familiar." At first, I thought of action movies or superhero movies, but then it clicked.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew the Russian space lady, but wasn't sure how to pronounce it.

I've seen the movie and remember the line, but doubt I'd have gotten it without seeing it and would have gone the TPH route and looked for a superhero type. (BTW, way to go putting something down).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a very easy board, especially the J! round. I thought that most of the clues were good, but the trend of having some of the clue valuations backwards continued.

"Mexico" was my guess for the flag clue, but I was hesitant to pull the trigger because it was a bottom of the board clue. The "Tereshkova" triple stumper was bad, since that's classic study list material, but I can't really hold it against them since it was a well played game.

I knew the "Harry Blackmun" clue, but I was not surprised that it was a triple stumper. I once wrote a similar clue that played a lot harder than I thought it would.

FJ was an instant get, and I have not seen the movie. It's too bad that the clue couldn't have mentioned that part of an episode of Jeopardy! was shown in the movie.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Bamaman wrote:Sean is a good player, but his head bobbing got on my nerves.

I know Alex isn't the hippest dude in the world, but not knowing what a barrista is?
How about [head bobbing + cheesy radio voice]? ETA: When I appear on national TV I could be just as quirky, but the snappiness of his questions and calling out cat's oh-so-quickly redeems the affectations, tho. He should make all the boardies who complain about unfinished boards proud. (What should we call those folks? The Remainder Complainer Crew? I sympathize.) Hey, who knows, maybe there's someone watching and listening who'll think he's the next Voice of NASCAR?

For the purposes of the patter Alex at the very least *feigned* to not know what someone who makes and serves coffee is called; FWIW, some people aren't even familiar enough with the word to spell it properly :!:

Speaking of the midshow chat, I am SHOCKED no one posted yesterday when Alex *finally* got the house-rehab-volunteering contestant he had been trolling for! Tell us Mike, did he desperately keep pressing the question that day of taping since clearly he was eagerly looking with previous contestants?

Did anyone else think Roger Rabbit might have said that FJ quote (but of course ruled it out for the 1993 part)? I have seen GH a couple of times but don't remember all those deaths.

Jeffrey
Last edited by El Jefe on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Love Molly's fingernails!
Zubals pants? WTF?

Ran flags- hope david is proud of me! I thought Mexico might've been the easiest.

Not only ran Space Flight, but predicted the Tereshkova TS as soon as I saw the clue.
Would've gone TDD on Eagle for sure.
StevenH wrote:I knew the "Harry Blackmun" clue, but I was not surprised that it was a triple stumper.
But it wasn't, really. Just a single stumper. Why did they leave Marge's extraneous stammering in? If Sean misses a rebound, and Molly gets it, the lead changes.

Whew for easy gimmie on FJ. Although "hung" is a matter of opinion, methinks. Is that him saying that, or is he quoting his partners? ;)