Friday, November 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6700, 2013-11-01

CONTESTANTS
Andrea Massar, a clinical social worker from Rockville, Maryland
Norah McKissic, an embroiderer and student from Anchorage, Alaska
Rhea Hantelman, an administrative assistant from Marysville, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Ladies and gentlemen, a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia a possibility for you, our viewers, today.
And a trip to ecstasy for one of these ladies if you manage to win more than the $25,000 that Rhea picked up yesterday. That was most impressive.
Norah and Andrea --nice to have you here. Let's go to work, shall we?
And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALSO A CLASSIC MONOPOLY SPACE (4/5)
THE NEW YORK TIMES PULITZER WINNERS (5/5)
GIRL GROUPS (3/3)
BIRTH, SCHOOL, WORK, DEATH (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORD ORIGINS (4/5)
IT'S ABOUT TIME (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Norah: 11 R, 0 W
Rhea: 7 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Andrea: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rhea: $2,800
Andrea: $1,800
Norah: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Andrea Massar is from Rockville, Maryland, and had a great job for many, many years, and that was as a...
Andrea: Hand model.
Alex: Does it pay well?
Andrea: It does, and actually, I used to say I worked very hard, but I didn't, really.
Alex: Were you doing hand modelling for nail polish, things like that?
Andrea: I did nail polish. I did pharmaceuticals. I did jewelry.
Alex: Give me a hand pose.
[She does]
Alex: Ah, delicate hands. I love that. Smooth.

Alex: Norah Mckissic is from Anchorage, Alaska. An embroiderer who runs a multi-head embroidery machine. I have no idea what that is.
Norah: It just means it's a machine with a whole lot of needles and different thread colors.
Alex: Okay, and how expert do you have to be to run that machine?
Norah: Not very.
Alex: Can you do all kinds of fancy designs, or is there one basic pattern that's repeated over and over and over again?
Norah: Oh, no. You can do whatever you want.
Alex: Yeah? You can do my name?
Norah: Oh, if you want it, it can be done tomorrow.
[ laughter ]
Alex: Takes you a day to do my name?
Norah: Well, I'm kind of far from the machine right now.
Alex: I know. I'm just joking with you.

Alex: Rhea Hantelman is our champion, and she's good, as you noticed on the program yesterday. But not only is she good, but she has a 6-year-old son who watches the program, and what does he say?
Rhea: He wants to be on Kid's Jeopardy! when he's eligible in three years, my son, Mikey. And my daughter, Lizzie, is a genius, too, so we may have a whole tradition starting here.
Alex: Well, that's great. We love people that have family rivalries that get going over the years.
Rhea: Exactly.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rhea found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Rhea had $3,600, Norah had $3,200, and Andrea was at $2,200. Rhea wagered $500.

BIRTH, SCHOOL, WORK, DEATH $800: A hotel room in 1888, a year at Princeton, some "Electra"-fying playwriting, a hotel room in 1953
(Rhea: Who is Tennessee Williams?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALSO A CLASSIC MONOPOLY SPACE $200: Randomness

WORD ORIGINS $1000: In mythology it's the shield of Zeus; it also means protection or sponsorship

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Norah: $6,000
Andrea: $4,000
Rhea: $3,100
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE JESUITS (2/5)
BOOKS' SUBTITLES (4/5)
IN "MOTHER" WORDS (5/5)
TV TITLE MATH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE CURRENT SUPREME COURT JUSTICE WHO... (4/5)
U.S. FORCES OVERSEAS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Now, November is military family month, and it's also the month in which we honor our military veterains.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrea: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Norah: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Rhea: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Norah snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Rhea had $3,500, Norah had $13,200, and Andrea was at $8,800. Norah wagered $2,000.

U.S. FORCES OVERSEAS $1600: Camp Patriot & a related Naval base are located on the southeast corner of this small Persian Gulf country

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Norah who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Rhea had $5,900, Norah had $16,000, and Andrea was at $8,800. Norah wagered $3,000.

TV TITLE MATH $1200: Sum of the digits in a famous Shannen Doherty zip code
(Alex: [*]--90210--9 + 2 + 1. Zeros don't make it.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOKS' SUBTITLES $2000: Oscar Wilde:
"A Play About A Good Woman"

THE JESUITS $400: The Jesuits were founded in 1540 by St. Ignatius, a man from this present-day country
(Alex: St. Ignatius of Loyola in [*].)

THE CURRENT SUPREME COURT JUSTICE WHO... $1600: Was nominated to the Court, then renominated
(Norah: Who is Clarence Thomas?)
(Alex: Who is the Chief Justice of the United States? [*].)

THE JESUITS $1200: Sometimes called "God's Marines", the order is led by a man with this fitting title
(Alex: He is [*].)

THE JESUITS $2000: The Jesuit society is considered a "mendicant order", meaning they get by by doing this
(Alex: They get by by [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Norah: $19,400
Andrea: $13,200
Rhea: $7,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATIONS OF THE WORLD

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Norah: Wager $7,001 to cover Andrea.
Andrea: You ought to wager to cover Rhea, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $13,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $2,600 (to shut out Rhea) or less than $800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Rhea). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Norah.
Rhea: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $4,500), you might try betting $5,301, playing for a win if Andrea tries to two-thirds Norah (though, from this position, a wager of all $7,900 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Andrea to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only 2 countries in the Americas that border each other & begin with the same letter

FINAL SCORES
Rhea: $7,900 - $7,800 = $100 (What are Paraguay & Peru?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Andrea: $13,200 - $6,201 = $6,999 (What is Guyana) (2nd place: $2,000)
Norah: $19,400 - $8,000 = $11,400 (What are Columbia & Chile) (New champion: $11,400)
(Alex: [revealing Rhea's response] Well, they start with the same letter, but they are not neighbors.
[revealing Andrea's response]
Was going for Guyana & Guatemala, but that's way, way away.
[revealing Norah's response]
They are not neighbors, but [*] are neighbors.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Norah: $17,200, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Andrea: $13,200, 15 R, 0 W
Rhea: $8,400, 13 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Norah: 21/60 = .350
Andrea: 15/58 = .259
Rhea: 13/59 = .220
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE NEW YORK TIMES PULITZER WINNERS $200: (Gretchen Morgenson delivers the clue) Stories like "How Did They Value Stocks? Count The Absurd Ways" won me a 2002 Pulitzer for beat reporting, my beat is this street

THE NEW YORK TIMES PULITZER WINNERS $400: (James Risen delivers the clue) With my Times colleague Eric Lichtblau, I won a Pulitzer in 2006 for our disclosure of the Bush administration's use of domestic electronic eavesdropping without these legal documents issued by a judge

THE NEW YORK TIMES PULITZER WINNERS $600: (Amy Harmon delivers the clue I won my second Pulitzer in 2008 for a series about the new information that can be gleaned about a person's genetic profile with this kind of test which some people welcome and others prefer not to know

THE NEW YORK TIMES PULITZER WINNERS $800: (Linda Greenhouse delivers the clue) I won a 1998 Pulitzer for covering the Supreme Court with articles like "Why" this name of a failed nominee "Is Still A Verb In Politics 10 Years Later"

THE NEW YORK TIMES PULITZER WINNERS $1000: (Andrea Elliott delivers the clue) Chronicling the life of an immigrant in Brooklyn who is one of these Muslim leaders of a mosque earned me a 2007 Pulitzer Prize

U.S. FORCES OVERSEAS $400: (Alex Trebek delivers the clue from Naples.) Naval support activity, naples,
Has a rather nice view
of this world-famous volcano,
Which hasn't erupted
since 1944.
So no worries, right?

U.S. FORCES OVERSEAS $1200: (Alex Trebek delivers the clue.) In 1948 and 1949,
A lot of brave airmen
flew some dangerous missions
Out of Wiesbaden Air Base
in order to resupply
This blockaded German city

U.S. FORCES OVERSEAS $2000: (Alex Trebek delivers the clue from Germany.) Landstuhl Regional Medical Center is the largest American hospital outside the United States. Most of its patients are wounded warriors who are flown in for care to this nearby well-known American airbase in Germany

TV TITLE MATH $400: Number of "Hours" in a CBS documentary show plus number of "Minutes" in a CBS documentary show
(Alex: Yes, 48 + 60.)

TV TITLE MATH $800: Pat Robertson's "Club" times "Broke Girls"
(Alex: 700 Club times 2. Right.)

TV TITLE MATH $1600: "Deep Space" number minus fractional sitcom "Men" number
(Alex: [*]--9 minus 2 1/2.)

TV TITLE MATH $2000: A FOX drama about Jack Bauer divided by how many kids "Is Enough"
(Alex: [*]--24 divided by 8.)

THE CURRENT SUPREME COURT JUSTICE WHO... $2000: Was the first woman to become Solicitor General
(Rhea: Who is Sotomayor?)

THE JESUITS $800: The first Jesuit Pope was born in this country
(Alex: [*]--the current Pope.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Eugene O'Neill
chance
aegis
Kuwait
Lady Windermere s Fan
Spain
John Roberts
the Superior General
begging
Brazil & Bolivia
Wall Street
a warrant
a DNA test
Bork
an imam
(Mount) Vesuvius
Berlin
Ramstein
6 1/2
Elena Kagan
Argentina
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Really precall-heavy game for me. I precalled Luxury Tax, Spice Girls, Mother Tongue, and that 2 Broke Girls would be in a TV Title Math clue.

====

Ran Monopoly. I wonder if the TS on Chance was because they were expecting one of the street spaces?

3/5 in Word Origin. I was thinking "Oh, not Cantonese, the other one," but I just couldn't get Cantonese out of my head. Also NHO Loupe, and wonder where I pulled out "aegis".

Picasso would be cubist, not abstract. Herp derp. I went 0/5 in the category, but I clammed on Newton and blanked on Gandolfini.

I'm really supposed to know that "era" is longer than an epoch or period?

Those interminable NYT clues meant two unrevealed in Girl Groups. I went 3/3 and wonder what the other two could've been. TLC?

====

St. Ignatius of Loyola = Spain was a surprising Lach Trash for me.

I missed any hints towards Vesuvius on Overseas for $400. 0/5 there too.

"Mother's Little Helper" was a total NHOI in Mother, and "Mother Lode" seemed overvalued.

Surprised myself by running TV Title Math.

====

Hopped all over South America. Argentina and…? Nope, can't think of another A country. Colombia and Chile? Nope, opposite ends of the continent. Brazil and…? There's no other B country down there, is there? Leaving a blank.

Once again, I manage to forget most of what I should know pretty well. Even Paraguay/Peru didn't occur to me due to me momentarily forgetting that Peru exists.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

How the heck was that a TS?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Ran Monopoly. I wonder if the TS on Chance was because they were expecting one of the street spaces?
Probably. It took a bit for someone to get the second clue (I think it was Go). But then they warmed up and ran the rest pretty easily
Also NHO Loupe, and wonder where I pulled out "aegis".
I could not pull out loupe, though I have heard of it. I had heard the word aegis, but never knew its definition. There is a newspaper not too far from here called the St. Clair News Aegis and always wondered what the word meant.
Picasso would be cubist, not abstract.
Made the same mistake. I did get Newton and Gandolfini but clammed on Mozart because I thought he was 19th century.
I'm really supposed to know that "era" is longer than an epoch or period?
A good thing to learn for the show is the breakdown of the various geological histories.
Those interminable NYT clues meant two unrevealed in Girl Groups. I went 3/3 and wonder what the other two could've been. TLC?
Alex loudly and longly announcing the last one ate up time as well.

====
St. Ignatius of Loyola = Spain was a surprising Lach Trash for me.
Bravo!!!
I missed any hints towards Vesuvius on Overseas for $400. 0/5 there too.
Famous volcano in Italy.
Surprised myself by running TV Title Math.
I would have as well if I hadn't misheard Pat Robertson times Broke Girls as adding instead of multiplication.

====
Hopped all over South America. Argentina and…? Nope, can't think of another A country. Colombia and Chile? Nope, opposite ends of the continent.
Bravo #2!!!!!!!

B&B were the only two that came to mind and could not think of another matching pair. I figured Brazil is so big, it had to touch Bolivia somewhere.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another easy but pretty decent board, although I did struggle in the word origins category, but that's to be expected.

I guessed "Qatar" on the DD where "Kuwait" was the correct response. I probably overlooked an important hint in that clue.

"Television Math" was a joke, except that I had a brain fart and said "54" for the one clue that mentioned the Pat Robertson tv show, thinking of the "27 Club."

FJ was an instant get. I knew that Chile and Ecuador were the only two South American countries that do not border Brazil, so boom, "Brazil and Bolivia," done. I was kind of surprised that it was a triple stumper, but I always have a hard time gauging the difficulty of Geography clues; Geography seems to be a category that contestants either own or have a very, very hard time with.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Maybe, like me, they all had collective brain-farts and glossed over Bolivia. I know I skipped that, Peru, and Venezuela when trying to remember just the "big" countries. And I can never get Guyana/Suriname/French Guiana to stick. All I can remember is "those three tiny countries above Brazil".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Maybe, like me, they all had collective brain-farts and glossed over Bolivia. I know I skipped that, Peru, and Venezuela when trying to remember just the "big" countries. And I can never get Guyana/Suriname/French Guiana to stick. All I can remember is "those three tiny countries above Brazil".
*Nod* I was too stuck in Central America and by the time I got to SA, it was too late to run through them all.

For future reference, though, Brazil borders every country in SA, except Ecuador and Chile.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I also went to Central America first, then to Peru and Paraguay before guessing Bolivia and Brazil.

What was the first clue in the TV math category?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ElendilPickle wrote: What was the first clue in the TV math category?
I don't remember the exact wording, but basically it was 48 Hours + 60 Minutes.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Nations of the World
The only 2 countries in the Americas that border each other & begin with the same letter.

Spoiler
What are Brazil and Bolivia? Rhea said Paraguay and Peru; Andrea only had Guyana; Norah said Colombia and Chile
Norah McKissic: $19,400-$8,000=$11,400...now a 1-day champion with $11,400
Andrea Massar: $13,200-$6,201=$6,999
Rhea Hantelman: $7,900-$7,800=$100
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bamaman wrote:
Did they want the answer in hours or minutes? Whatever it was, I went the wrong way.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Did they want the answer in hours or minutes? Whatever it was, I went the wrong way.
The correct response was "What is 108?". They just wanted you to add the numbers together. It was "Number of hours in this show plus number of hours in that show".

Here's the full wording, just remembered I still had it recorded.

Number of "hours" in a CBS documentary show plus number of "minutes" in a CBS documentary show.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Edit: Ninja'd by Bamaman
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:
That would be 49 hours, right?
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Maybe, like me, they all had collective brain-farts and glossed over Bolivia. I know I skipped that, Peru, and Venezuela when trying to remember just the "big" countries. And I can never get Guyana/Suriname/French Guiana to stick. All I can remember is "those three tiny countries above Brazil".
*Nod* I was too stuck in Central America and by the time I got to SA, it was too late to run through them all.

For future reference, though, Brazil borders every country in SA, except Ecuador and Chile.
Also for future reference, all seven mainland Central American countries start with a different letter: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I misread the clue and thought they wanted the number of minutes in 60 Minutes plus the number of hours it was, and hence said 61. :roll:
On FJ, I actually had Brazil and Bolivia, but crossed it out and wrote Columbia and Chile.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

StevenH wrote:I guessed "Qatar" on the DD where "Kuwait" was the correct response. I probably overlooked an important hint in that clue.
The clue included the word "Patriot." That connected in my mind with the first Gulf War, in which Patriot missiles were the main defense against Scud attacks and the Persian Gulf country central to the conflict was Kuwait.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

jeff6286 wrote:Also for future reference, all seven mainland Central American countries start with a different letter: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama.
Yes, and that still works even if you ignore the leading article on "El Salvador." (Which of course is Spanish for "the Salvador.")
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Picasso would be cubist, not abstract. Herp derp.
And Dalí would be surrealist (as the clue said), not abstract.

For whatever reason I jumped straight to Argentina on reading the FJ, and from there to Bolivia/Brazil. Was I going in alphabetical order? I suppose not, since I skipped Belize. I could easily have missed this one by going north to south.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I guess Rhea had one of those dream board games yesterday and it was back to reality today. What a difference. It was expected after her interview story. Didn't Carnegie write about how to lose fans and discourage viewers?

Andrea jumping back to the snail pace Pulitzer had my teeth grinding with Girl Groups sitting unfinished. What we didn't see?

Let's say: Go-Go's, Pointer Sisters, The Supremes, Bananarama
Let's not say: Fifth Harmony, B*Witched, Las Ketchup, The Weather Girls, The Veronicas, The Pussycat Dolls
If I'm writing the category: The Chordettes, The Andrews Sisters, The Maguire Sisters, Expose, The Bangles

At least all of the TV Title Math was played to pump up our scoresheets. When 24/8 is the $2000 then there shouldn't be anything harder previous to that one.

A two-part response in Nations of the World is likely to be guess time. I cleared North America and Central America almost instantly to concentrate on South America. Paraguay matching with Peru was the first combo that came to me and it went on the paper. Brazil with Bolivia was next and I added it. Chile with Colombia did not come to me. It was time for Dawson Crossin.

Brazil bordering Bolivia felt more right and I went that way. Unfortunately, I do not have enough map knowledge to have been sure I was right or to have been certain the other way was wrong. I'll take it.

As for the players: We may not like it at home, especially when we get it right, but a two-parter about foreign countries will not always be met with great success by the contestants. At your next social gathering try it on people for small talk and see how it goes.