Tuesday, November 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6702, 2013-11-05

Rani Peffer game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Carole Furr, an accountant from Richmond, Vermont
Rani Peffer, a corporate finance manager from Crittenden, Kentucky
Woody Houchin, a medical assistant from Chico, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. Today on Jeopardy! you could win a trip to the Arctic, and you--Woody, Rani, or Carole--could win a lot of money. So let's get you started. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. One Daily Double only in this round of play, and here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ENTERTAINING OCCUPATIONS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "X" "Y" "Z" AFFAIR (5/5)
TV, SELF-HELP ME! (3/3)
OLD THEME, NEW GENRE (5/5) (Alex: Name the genre in which our Jeopardy! theme song is being performed.)
SHEPHERDS (5/5)
PI (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rani: 12 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Carole: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Woody: 7 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rani found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Woody had $200, Rani had $2,000, and Carole was at $2,400. Rani wagered $1,800.

ENTERTAINING OCCUPATIONS $600: If you had this job in Japanese Bunraku theater, it was common to spend 15 years as a left arm operator
[The disco version of the Jeopardy! theme music plays going into the commercial break.]

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rani: $3,800
Carole: $2,400
Woody: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

[The Dixieland version of the Jeopardy! theme music plays coming back in from the commercial break.]

Alex: Carole Furr and I have some history together, I just discovered. You were trying out for Jeopardy! how many years ago?

Carole: 21 years.

Alex: And something I said you remember today?

Carole: Yes, I asked you your favorite color, and you said it was gray, it matched your personality.

Alex: And that's the same answer I give--

Carole: Just now.

Alex: --nowadays. Yes. Okay. Your dad's in the audience. He was on the program once, right?

Carole: 25 years ago, almost to the day, yes.

Alex: How well did he do? He won one day, lost the next, but we were very proud of him. And they have been bothering me ever since to try to be on the show.

Alex: Okay. Well, let's see how it works out for you today.

Alex: Rani Peffer from Crittenden, Kentucky. She is a corporate finance manager who loves her job so much she has it on her license-plate frame.

Rani: This is true. It's kind of like the rolling nerd-mobile because the license-plate frame of my car says "Finance chick. I love numbers." I'm one of those people who is very, very fortunate to absolutely love my job.

Alex: Okay. Good for you. I love mine, also.

Alex: Woody Houchin is from Chico, California. He is our champ, and his car is different from yours and mine because...

Woody: Uh, I drive an electric bicycle. Uh, it's kind of in between a bike and a motorcycle, um, except you don't need insurance, a license, and I can't remember when I last paid for gas.

Alex: That's great!

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENTERTAINING OCCUPATIONS $800: Fruity term for the straight man in a comedy duo

ENTERTAINING OCCUPATIONS $1000: This activity that omits a key piece of equipment has been called the most physically demanding event in rodeo
(Carole: What is mime?)

PI $600: For about $19,100 x pi, this "Black Swan" director made "Pi", his 1998 debut film about a math whiz

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rani: $6,400
Carole: $3,200
Woody: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG (1/2)
WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COME TO OUR "ADE" (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHO'S ON TOUR? (2/5)
NUTTY NAMES (3/5)
THE NEW YORK TIMES THEATRE (3/5) (Ben Brantley: I'm theater critic Ben Brantley and I'll share some great and not-so-great Broadway memories.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Woody: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Carole: 5 R, 2 W
Rani: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Woody snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Woody had $4,800, Rani had $6,400, and Carole was at $3,600. Woody wagered $2,400.

COME TO OUR "ADE" $1600: "Haffner" & "Colloredo" are 2 of these compositions by Mozart
(Woody: [No response])

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Woody who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Woody had $3,200, Rani had $6,800, and Carole was at $3,600. Woody wagered $1,000.

WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE $1200: In 2011 about 20% of globally traded oil left the Persian Gulf region through this strait

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COME TO OUR "ADE" $2000: This word for rhythm or beat also refers to the type of military call heard here

"Up in the morning, march all day /
(Up the morning, march all day) /
"Keep on marching your life away..."

WHO'S ON TOUR? $400: 50 & Counting...
(2013)

JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG $400: The 19 Nazis convicted of war crimes at Nuremberg in October 1946 included this obese Reichsmarschall

NUTTY NAMES $800: In 1932 Walter & Olive Beech began to craft these transports
(Alex: Hence "Beechcraft"--[*].)

NUTTY NAMES $2000: In 1974 Tanzanian track star Filbert Bayi set a world record of 3:32.2 at this metric distance
(Carole: What is 100 meters?)
(Rani: What is 1000 meters?)
(Alex: Had to go a little bit longer than that. What is [*]?--the "metric mile", if you will.)

WHO'S ON TOUR? $1600: Femme Fatale
(2011)
(Carole: Who is Madonna?)

WHO'S ON TOUR? $2000: The Truth About Love Tour
(2013)

THE NEW YORK TIMES THEATRE $800: (Ben Brantley gives the clue.) In 1996 I reviewed the revival of this Kander & Ebb musical whose jaded take on celebrity worship & a fractured justice system were timely then; I said I hoped it would run for a long time--little did I know it would still be playing today

THE NEW YORK TIMES THEATRE $400: (Ben Brantley gives the clue.) Based on a movie, this musical about an Irish guy & a Czech girl uses song & dance in a way I've never experienced in an American musical: to convey a beautiful shimmer of might-have-been regret
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Woody: $10,600
Rani: $7,200
Carole: $5,600

PREFINAL REMARKS
[The bossa nova version of the Jeopardy! theme music plays coming back in from the commercial break.]

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FIRST FAMILIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Woody: Wager $3,801 to cover Rani.
Rani: You ought to wager to cover Carole, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $7,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $4,000 (to shut out Carole) or less than $400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Carole). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Woody.
Carole: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $1,200, you need to bet either $1,601, and play for a win if Rani tries to two-thirds Woody, or bet at least $5,001 to cover Woody's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $5,600 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Sasha & Malia Obama are the first presidential children who were not old enough to vote for dad since this one

FINAL SCORES
Carole: $5,600 - $1,601 = $3,999 (Who is Amy Carter?) (3rd place)
Rani: $7,200 + $7,111 = $14,311 (Who is Chelsea Clinton?) (New champion: $14,311)
Woody: $10,600 - $3,801 = $6,799 (Who is G.W. Bus) (2nd place)
(Alex: [To Woody] Not exactly a daughter. Or a child.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Woody: $13,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Rani: $6,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Carole: $5,600, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $24,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Rani: 16/59 = .271
Woody: 16/60 = .267
Carole: 11/58 = .190
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PI $200: Pi is the ratio of this measurement of a circle to its diameter
(Woody: What -- is -- a radius?)

OLD THEME, NEW GENRE $200: Lively up yourself with this style that developed from ska & rock steady

OLD THEME, NEW GENRE $400: This music genre preceded "Duck" & "Inferno" in song titles

OLD THEME, NEW GENRE $600: Lars Ulrich's band has 6 Grammys for this genre; here's our version of it

OLD THEME, NEW GENRE $800: In 1916 Nick La Rocca formed the "Original" this music style "Jazz Band"
(Rani: What is New Orleans?)

THE "X" "Y" "Z" AFFAIR $200: A brief sharp sound, or slang for nothing at all
(Woody: What is zilch?)

OLD THEME, NEW GENRE $1000: "Blame It On" Brazil, the source of this style we steal here

THE "X" "Y" "Z" AFFAIR $1000: He was the de facto leader of China from 1977 until his death in 1997
(Woody: Who is Zedong?)
(Carole: Who is Xiaoping?)
[Alex pauses.]
(Carole: [*]?)

SHEPHERDS $200: When traveling, this man sometimes uses an Alitalia jet dubbed "Shepherd One"
(Woody: Who is Berlusconi?)

PI $800: In the 100s A.D. this Alexandrian astronomer calculated a more precise value of pi, the equivalent of 3.14166
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

TV, SELF-HELP ME! $1000: Bravo! for Ted Allen & Carson Kressley, 2 of the stars who dealt with food, fashion & other issues on this show
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
[The heavy metal version of the Jeopardy! theme music plays going into the commercial break.]

NUTTY NAMES $1200: MacArthur's former Chief of Staff Edward Almond commanded X Corps at the Inchon landing in this war
[Alex pronounced "X" as "ten".]

THE NEW YORK TIMES THEATRE $1600: (Ben Brantley gives the clue.) Tom Hanks made his Broadway debut playing tabloid columnist Mike McAlary in "Lucky Guy", written by this late woman, a close friend of Hanks; unlike some of the movies she wrote & directed, her play feels only newsprint deep

THE NEW YORK TIMES THEATRE $2000: (Ben Brantley gives the clue.) A 1997 revival of this Ibsen classic made me remember why I love the theatre; the play is more than a century old but it felt like the part of Nora had only just been written, & written specifically for Janet McTeer
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute to go now.)

THE NEW YORK TIMES THEATRE $1200: (Ben Brantley gives the clue.) When it comes to Shakespeare, I must have seen at least a dozen productions of this tragedy, with everyone from Liev Schreiber to Jude Law as the prince

CORRECT RESPONSES
a puppeteer
the second banana
bareback riding
Darren Aronofsky
serenades
the Strait of Hormuz
cadence
Rolling Stones
Hermann Goering
airplanes
1500 meters
Britney Spears
P!nk
Chicago
Once
Chelsea Clinton
the circumference
reggae
disco
heavy metal
Dixieland
zip
bossa nova
Deng Xiaoping
the pope
Ptolemy
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
the Korean War
Nora Ephron
A Doll's House
Hamlet
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

First Families
Sasha & Malia Obama are the first Presidential children who were not old enough to vote for Dad since this one.

Spoiler
Who is Chelsea Clinton? Carole said Amy Carter; Woody said G.W. Bush.

Woody Houchin: $10,600-$3,801=$6,799
Rani Peffer: $7,200+$7,111=$14,311...now a 1-day champion with $14,311
Carole Furr: $5,600-$1,601=$3,999
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A wheelhouse FJ for me and I blow it. Never even considered Chelsea, spent the whole time trying to decide if the Bush girls were 18 in 2000. I would have gone for Chelsea if I'd even thought if her.

I guess I was still upset about not finishing the Nuremberg category but having to sit through the long drawn out theater reviews.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Judges: "Impersonator" for "impressionist" on Occupations for $200? Rich Little's Wikipedia article uses both terms.

Me: "What the hell occupation uses a watch?!" "What is hypnotism? "Oh, duh." Clammed on puppeteer underneath. And then I pick up the two Lach Trashes underneath it.

Loved the Old Theme, New Genre category. Clammed on "metal", but felt better when I outright didn't know bossa nova (NHOI). Also loved how they used the other versions when going in and out of commercial.

Pi is "transcendental"? Huh?!?

====

Was it me, or did DJ! feel really off? Even one $400 being a TS is rare, but this time, three of them were.

The whole NYT Theatre category was tl;dr to the extreme. Also, Alex gives the LTAM, and you go back to the slowly-read video clues? Urgh.

"Brocade" I thought was super undervalued at $400. Archive shows only one other hit for this term, ever.

Oddly, De la Plata was my only get in Water.

====

FJ! struck me as total trivia. No way to tease that one out, no reward for knowing it. I considered Chelsea, but I thought she was old enough since I remember Mad making fun of her in the late 90s. Forgot Bubba served two terms.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I got FJ! but wasn't a big fan of the wording. Chelsea and I are close to the same age so I assumed it was her. I thought about the Bush twins but it didn't seem right- turns out they're a year younger than Chelsea.

Those theater clues were soooo wordy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

1) Berlusconi?!?

2) 3:32 for the 100m? Not sure which is worse!

3) I wonder if Rani's parents are Doctor Who fans?

4) A Yeoman is not a solely a petty officer. There are YNSNs, YNSAs, and YNSRs.

5) That theater category was one of the most drawn-out and topsy-turvy cats I've ever see. The bottom 3 clues were cake and I had never even heard of the $400 one.

Instaget FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Judges: "Impersonator" for "impressionist" on Occupations for $200? Rich Little's Wikipedia article uses both terms.
I would take it, but "impersonate" was in the clue, so ... *shrug*
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Two people missed that? You have to work your way back to Bill Clinton to figure this answer out. "Name John Tyler's kids" this is not.

Kinda sucky game, weird one where the longwinded theatre critic's bottom row clue get answered, but the top row ones don't. And it's not like either answer was obscure.

Knew they'd never finished Nuremberg if they were clueless on Goering.

Really painful tours category; that's something folks don't notice, especially when the names of the tours aren't helpful.

The "ADE" category did one of my pet peeves - start with a word ending in ADE, then one ending with ADEr, then two more ending in ADE, only to throw one at the end with "ADE" in the middle. They do this once in a blue moon, they never warn the contestants, and, not surprisingly, it's a stand and a stare on a common-knowledge word, in this case CADENCE.

So, basically, some really sloppy writing. The contestants got some of the bottom row stuff so I don't think I can really fault them.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

lisa0012 wrote:I got FJ! but wasn't a big fan of the wording. Chelsea and I are close to the same age so I assumed it was her. I thought about the Bush twins but it didn't seem right- turns out they're a year younger than Chelsea.

I recall one of the Bush kids getting arrested for drinking a margarita while in college, during his first term, so I knew it couldn't be them. Also, GW Bush is an unbelievably terrible answer. I have to assume that the contestant misread it and was trying to say the president of the kid in question.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Pi is "transcendental"? Huh?!?
I have a degree in math and I wouldn't expect the general public to know the technical meaning of this term. The crucial thing was that it was also an adjective describing a type of meditation. I think that's the most gettable way to arrive at the response -- together with perhaps a very vague idea that a word like "transcendental" might mean something in math.

My two proudest gets of this game:

After sweating for a while, I managed to come up with "serenade" before Alex said it, just by trying to think of some word containing "ade" that might refer to a musical composition.

I also got the "1500 meters" one without knowing it per se. I noticed the time was about three and a half minutes, which indicates a race length a little shorter than a mile, and I know a mile is roughly around 1600 meters.

I got FJ, but I was mildly worried for two reasons: (1) were the Bush daughters possibly too young to vote for their dad as well, and (2) was Chelsea possibly old enough to vote for her father the second time, even if not the first?

Chelsea Clinton is the only thing I wrote down. I had a vague memory that she might have been born in 1980, which if true would make her 12 and 16 in the two years her dad ran for President. Perhaps more crucially, I realized: The Bush daughters are twins. If one of them was too young to vote for her dad, then so was the other.

I also thought about Amy Carter, but stuck with Chelsea.
nlafavore
Contributor

Post by nlafavore »

Sigh... all these one-day champions. When will the Decades Tournament start??
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Ouch at the contestants not knowing Herman Goring. Also, that Theatre category had three strikes against it: Overly wordy clues, a slow guest reader (I really hate those), and weird clue values.
Last edited by CrunchyTaco on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Austin Powers wrote: The "ADE" category did one of my pet peeves - start with a word ending in ADE, then one ending with ADEr, then two more ending in ADE, only to throw one at the end with "ADE" in the middle. They do this once in a blue moon, they never warn the contestants, and, not surprisingly, it's a stand and a stare on a common-knowledge word, in this case CADENCE.
Yeah, I insta-got BROCADE, CRUSADER, and BLADE, but (somehow) missed SERENADE and CADENCE.

In addition to the 3 used, there are at least 158 other -ADE words from 4-15 letters. Some of them are extremely rare, but here are some that would be great for clues (granted, some end with the -äd sound):

AQUACADE
BALUSTRADE
BIODEGRADE
BLOCKADE
CHIFFONADE
FUSILLADE
PALISADE
POMADE
TAPENADE

If J! Cluers are reading I officially dare them to use any of these (upper 5% in verbosity?):

AMBUSCADE
BASTINADE
BIGARADE
BASTINADE
DEFILADE
DEGRINGOLADE!!!!
ENFILADE
FANFARONADE
GASCONADE
HARLEQUINADE
MATCHMADE
PASQUINADE
R(H)ODOMONTADE
TARDIGRADE

Jeffrey
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

nlafavore wrote:Sigh... all these one-day champions. When will the Decades Tournament start??
With the way the playing has been lately, I'm even looking forward to the Teachers Tournament.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Plantigrade/digitigrade/unguligrade I would've gotten.

I Lach Trashed "Cadence" too. IMO that and "brocade" should've been switched.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

CrunchyTaco wrote:Ouch at the contestants not knowing Herman Goring.
I missed that one. I figure "obese" was crucial, but I didn't actually know which prominent Nazis were known for being portly.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Austin Powers wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:I got FJ! but wasn't a big fan of the wording. Chelsea and I are close to the same age so I assumed it was her. I thought about the Bush twins but it didn't seem right- turns out they're a year younger than Chelsea.

I recall one of the Bush kids getting arrested for drinking a margarita while in college, during his first term, so I knew it couldn't be them. Also, GW Bush is an unbelievably terrible answer. I have to assume that the contestant misread it and was trying to say the president of the kid in question.
Hey, at least the guy knew GW was a Presidential child, unlike Alex, even if he was 42 when GHW won his first election. Well, his first Presidential election. Looking at the wording of the clue...Sasha & Malia Obama are the first Presidential children who were not old enough to vote for Dad since this one.

Let's say GW Bush wasn't old enough to vote for Dad in his 1964 campaign for Senator from Texas. (though he did turn 18 that year, not sure what the voting age would have been at the time) Does he not fit the clue? It didn't say anything about what they were voting Dad for, even though the intent is obvious. Of course he wouldn't be the last Presidential child, but what about...

What if Woody had answered Laura or Jenna Bush, since they weren't old enough to vote for their Dad when he ran for Governor of Texas in 1994 or 1998? It seems like he'd have a bit of an argument, as the clue didn't really spell out exactly what it wanted. I'm not saying it's a great argument, but it seems like that clue could have been worded a bit more precisely. Also, "this one" obviously points away from the Bush twins, but I still think there's a bit of a hole there where someone could have misunderstood what was being asked.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

Now that I've looked up the exact dates, it turns out that:

The twins Barbara and Jenna Bush were born November 25th 1981, so they were a little shy of 19 when their dad ran in 2000.

Chelsea Clinton was born February 27th 1980, so she was only 16 the second time her dad ran, in 1996.

I don't think the clue writers were expecting us to know that the Bush daughters weren't born in 1983, or that Chelsea wasn't born in 1978. I think they probably wanted us to get there by having the phrasing suggest a single answer, rather than a pair of siblings the same age.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Pi is "transcendental"? Huh?!?
Degreed math major here too-- this strikes me as very sneaky since it is most commonly identified with IRRATIONAL. Granted, that doesn't really fit with 'meditation' (but maybe it would have if they had asked about creationism instead?)

Jeffrey
Last edited by El Jefe on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.