Wednesday, November 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6708, 2013-11-13

2013 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Karen Cafaro, an English literature and composition teacher from Georgetown, South Carolina
James Brown, a physics teacher from El Paso, Texas
Eli Barrieau, a history teacher from Hardwick, Massachusetts

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. Before we get into answers and questions, a few words about cash. Players who are eliminated in these quarterfinal matches this week will receive $5,000. If you lose as a semi-finalist, you pick up $10,000. And if you make it to the finals, there's a $25,000 guarantee for third place, $50,000 minimum guarantee for second, and, of course, the champion wins $100,000. Something to look forward to, Eli, James, and Karen. Good luck. Here we go into the first round today. Categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE RIGHT TOOL (5/5) (Alex: I'd do well in that.)
YES, NOVEMBER! (4/5)
TALKIN' MATH (5/5)
TEACH THE RHYME (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will rhyme with the word teach.)
U.S. LANDMARKS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
T.P., YOUR HOUSE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eli: 10 R, 1 W
James: 8 R, 1 W
Karen: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Eli: $5,200
James: $2,000
Karen: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. As you heard in our introduction at the start of the program, Karen is celebrating her silver anniversary as a teacher and almost your silver anniversary in marriage. Am I correct?

Karen: Yes. Yes.

Alex: But didn't Jeopardy! have something to do with you and your husband getting together?

Karen: Well, yes. Our first date was dinner and Jeopardy!.

Alex: Aha.

Karen: We played Jeopardy! on our first date.

Alex: And...?

Karen: And...he married me because I could beat him in Jeopardy!.

Alex: Good for him, and good for you.

Alex: James Brown from El Paso, Texas. Physics teacher, teaches at an early college high school. And your students will have their associate's degree by the time they graduate. What does that mean, exactly?

James: Well, early colleges allow students to take high-school classes during part of the day and college classes part of the day. So, by the time they're done with their high-school experience, they'll also have earned enough college credits for an associate's.

Alex: But how does that shorten their college career?

James: Well, most of them only need two years to finish out their bachelor's after that.

Alex: Ah, okay. Thank you.

Alex: Eli Barrieau from Hardwick, Massachusetts, created his own critical-thinking class. I have no idea what you did.

Eli: Basically, I just really saw a need for kids to sharpen their malarkey detectors, so...

Alex: "Malarkey detectors"?

Eli: Well, it's TV, Alex.

[Laughter]

Alex: Some players cut too deep.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Karen found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Eli had $6,000, James had $1,800, and Karen was at $3,800. Karen wagered $1,000.

U.S. LANDMARKS $600: This landmark's SkyCity restaurant has been serving its Lunar Orbiter ice cream sundae since the 1962 World's Fair

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YES, NOVEMBER! $400: This sporting event got underway in Melbourne, Australia on November 22, 1956

TEACH THE RHYME $200: The limit of authority or influence

U.S. LANDMARKS $1000: In the fall of 2013, this striking building that's home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic celebrated its 10th birthday
(Eli: What is the Los Angeles Opera House?)

T.P., YOUR HOUSE $200: Tim Pawlenty, from 2003 to 2011 you lived in the governor's mansion in this city
(Karen: What is Iowa City?)

T.P., YOUR HOUSE $400: Tom Petty, you had a house in Encino in this part of L.A. that's the setting of "Free Falling"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Eli: $5,800
Karen: $4,600
James: $4,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Mythology
Rich with electrum, the Turkish river Pactolus is where this legendary man was said to have washed off his curse.

Spoiler
Who is King Midas? James said Achilles; Karen said Hercules.

Eli Barrieau: $12,200+$2,200=$14,400...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Karen Cafaro: $9,000-$3,000=$6,000
James Brown: $6,600-$6,600=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Wow, in the chat with James about the function of an early college high school, did Alex really just need help understanding that 2 + 2 = 4?

I understand he gets slagged too much (often by sensitive FBers for his alleged sharpness) but what are the chances it is clear to anyone listening what an associates degree is and the difference between 2 years and 4?

Jeffrey
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Of all the possible outcomes at the first break, the last thing I would've expected was to run Tools and Math, but get shut out of November.

Rhyme gave me my third run, although I thought the "reach" clue was a bit undervalued. Tried to go for a fourth on Landmarks, but wasn't even close to Lincoln Memorial on $400 (I mumbled "something Justice"), blanked on Sumter, and NHO Disney Hall.

TP went completely over my head. Any reason I should need to know that guy at $200?

====

Should've run Nerds, but clammed on The Office and blanked on Family Matters. My brain just shut off entirely in the round after that, with a terrible even for me 8/30.

Poets for $400: "Wait, there's another Browning?… Oh yeah, Robert, I knew that." 0/5 there.

1713 for $400 was wide open. I would've thought about 9001 other things before "six". Yay for overlooking the bleeding obvious.

0/5 in Journalists and "A" in Geography as well. Couldn't think of any "A" bodies of water, and clammed on Antigua.

====

Mythology is hit and miss for me. This one was a miss. I was stuck on mythological beings and got nowhere. Electrum had me going nowhere too. I could've spent months on that clue and not gotten it.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Karen hits a DD is a (so far) cake category, wagers a piddly 1k, then when she answers correctly celebrates as though she won the lottery.

So no surprise in FJ when she wagers as though 12k advances, good for James for doing all he could. Eli's wager was pretty blah but personally thought it was a good solve in a FJ significantly more difficult than the first two.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

It's easy to criticize, but my "shout at the TV" moment tonight was when nobody rebounded with "What is Armenia?" after Azerbaijan was negged.

I mean, I would have needed the rebound myself. I wasn't sure which if those two was correct. But I know that they're the two "A" countries in the area shown on the map.

I got FJ quickly, but I was helped again by playing Dungeons and Dragons when younger. That's why I knew electrum was a precious metal (or possibly a blend of precious metals). So word association took me to "gold" and then the correct response. I didn't actually know Midas was supposed to have lived in present-day Turkey (I would have guessed Greece) but that's still geographically close, and borders have shifted over the millennia.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Huge smiles all around at the "Ingrid Bergman playing the part of hypotenuse" clue.

Give Rand Paul 25 years, and he may finally recall the day he learned from the great Lobachevsky. It took Joe Biden that long.

ETA: That guy at $200 was one of the Republican candidates for President last year; former governor of Minnesota.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

skullturf wrote:It's easy to criticize, but my "shout at the TV" moment tonight was when nobody rebounded with "What is Armenia?" after Azerbaijan was negged.
Azerbaijan sounding kind of like a "stan" ending tripped me up and had me almost throw out Afghanistan as a WAG.

Note to self: Learn which order the zodiac signs go in, already. Pisces = March is the only one I can remember, because I happen to be a Pisces.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OK. Three days in a row where a state capital trips up a teacher. I can accept that.

But 5 + 1!?!???! How can anybody not know that?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

In fairness, I answered that one extremely hesitantly at home. It was one of those "Is that all they're asking for?" moments. I had to try to remember whether or not it was a "Stupid Answers" category. I would not have rushed to buzz in if I encountered that clue on the show.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

That game seemed far easier than the first two games of the week, especially the first round, which I came close to running. It may just have been that the categories were much more suited to me, though. As is often the case in a math or science category, there were a few clues that were not well written at all. The answer to an equation is called a root? (Not if it's a linear equation). Trigonometry is the study of angles and their properties? (It's the study of triangles; the side lengths are a necessary part)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

soxfan99 wrote:That game seemed far easier than the first two games of the week, especially the first round, which I came close to running. It may just have been that the categories were much more suited to me, though. As is often the case in a math or science category, there were a few clues that were not well written at all. The answer to an equation is called a root? (Not if it's a linear equation). Trigonometry is the study of angles and their properties? (It's the study of triangles; the side lengths are a necessary part)
I had the exact opposite results. I found the J! rounds in Monday's and Tuesday's games to both be really easy, while today I thought the first round was much more normal in difficulty. There weren't even any categories that I would consider my weaknesses, like art or composers, I just thought a lot of the clues seemed to be really tough.
bpmod wrote:OK. Three days in a row where a state capital trips up a teacher. I can accept that.

But 5 + 1!?!???! How can anybody not know that?

Brian
I for one misunderstood that clue. It said, if I'm remembering correctly, that the Tuscarora people went north, meaning that the Five Nations were now this. I was thinking it would be Four Nations, that the Tuscarora were leaving the group, not being added to it. I may have just not parsed the clue correctly, I'm not saying it was poorly worded, just that I didn't understand what they were asking.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:I had the exact opposite results. I found the J! rounds in Monday's and Tuesday's games to both be really easy, while today I thought the first round was much more normal in difficulty. There weren't even any categories that I would consider my weaknesses, like art or composers, I just thought a lot of the clues seemed to be really tough.
My J! round gets so far this week are 15, 7, 17. As I said, I ran three categories in J! today, and for me to run even two is rare.
jeff6286 wrote:I for one misunderstood that clue. It said, if I'm remembering correctly, that the Tuscarora people went north, meaning that the Five Nations were now this. I was thinking it would be Four Nations, that the Tuscarora, were leaving the group, not being added to it. I may have just not parsed the clue correctly, I'm not saying it was poorly worded, just that I didn't understand what they were saying.
I had a similar comprehension fail in that I didn't get what they were asking for.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I misread the clue about the number of tribes and said four.

I got FJ right away, but was wondering if the touch was really a curse, but I guess it is. I never knew he was able to wash it off.

I thought the FJ bets were OK, but Karen should at least have tried to top James if he doubles up.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

No clue on FJ, said Ulysses to say something. Maybe a poll question(s)? Never heard of electrum (a naturally occurring alloy of silver and gold) (another poll question!); my spell-checker hasn't heard of it either.

Oh, well duh, if you know what electrum is it's an easier FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh yeah, that's where I learned "electrum" from: obscure Mac-only RPG called TaskMaker, that I would bet dollars to donuts no one else on this forum has heard of.

Totally irrelevant fact: The spell check in AOL Instant Messenger doesn't recognize "orca" or "gumball" as words.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

TenPoundHammer wrote:TP went completely over my head. Any reason I should need to know that guy at $200?
Maybe in case it comes up on Jeopardy!
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I recognized electrum from Terry Pratchett's Pyramids, but was only certain about the gold part of the alloy. Which, fortunately, turned out to be the part most important to the clue.
davey

Post by davey »

El Jefe wrote:Wow, in the chat with James about the function of an early college high school, did Alex really just need help understanding that 2 + 2 = 4?

I understand he gets slagged too much (often by sensitive FBers for his alleged sharpness) but what are the chances it is clear to anyone listening what an associates degree is and the difference between 2 years and 4?

Jeffrey
Personally I don't think it so odd if Alex doesn't know that an associate's is a two-year degree. More likely than not knowing what a barista is anyway. He's probably been in a Starbucks, but never had to go to community college...