Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Tybalteon »

Peachbox wrote:Well this was unexpected with 5 days to go before the first online test next week...but I just received an invitation to audition in San Francisco on March 16. :o

Guess I'll have to change my online test status to "just for fun."
That's really cutting it close! Congratulations and good luck on your audition!

*nervously keeps inbox open until the online test starts*
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Peachbox wrote:Well this was unexpected with 5 days to go before the first online test next week...but I just received an invitation to audition in San Francisco on March 16. :o

Guess I'll have to change my online test status to "just for fun."
Wahoo! Congratulations. Go get it!
mhepbaum
Contributor

Post by mhepbaum »

I got the e-mail for San Francisco this morning as well! I, too, had completely given up hope of receiving an e-mail and was planning on taking the online test...in, uh, *just a few days.* Whoa. What a crazy surprise that was to wake up to!

Peachbox, I'm in the 9 AM slot. It would be cool to meet a fellow boardie if by any chance that's your group too!

Also, hi. I've been a longtime lurker but I don't think I've ever posted in here. Y'all are great :)
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Glad to hear there's another auditioner! Hopefully more boardies will get invites soon. And yes, I'm in the 9 a.m. group. I checked the confirmation email again, and it states you can only have taken one online test in the last year; with no way (that I saw) to change my status to "just for fun," I'll just have to skip this year's test.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Obviously not speaking from personal experience here, but I have heard that audition invites have begun to go out for Teen Tournament auditions.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

mhepbaum wrote:I got the e-mail for San Francisco this morning as well! I, too, had completely given up hope of receiving an e-mail and was planning on taking the online test...in, uh, *just a few days.* Whoa. What a crazy surprise that was to wake up to!

Peachbox, I'm in the 9 AM slot. It would be cool to meet a fellow boardie if by any chance that's your group too!

Also, hi. I've been a longtime lurker but I don't think I've ever posted in here. Y'all are great :)

Crickets in my inbox for the San Francisco audition. :-( Bummer 'cause last year's test was my best showing yet! (~39 or 40 IIRC)

Onward and upward!

(Also, long time lurker, first third time poster.)
jasonf
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jasonf »

totebags wrote:
Crickets in my inbox for the San Francisco audition. :-( Bummer 'cause last year's test was my best showing yet! (~39 or 40 IIRC)

Onward and upward!
I feel your pain. I think I got 40+ on the test last January. This would have been either my 6th or 7th in-person interview - I have lost track, but I go back to before the online test started. Perhaps they are getting tired of seeing me? Guess I'll try the test again next week!
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

jasonf wrote:
totebags wrote:

Onward and upward!
I feel your pain. I think I got 40+ on the test last January. This would have been either my 6th or 7th in-person interview - I have lost track, but I go back to before the online test started. Perhaps they are getting tired of seeing me? Guess I'll try the test again next week!
Welp, maybe I shouldn't have been so defeatist! Just got an invite for the March 15 audition in San Francisco!
dhumphreys17

Post by dhumphreys17 »

I just got my audition invite email!

Online Test Date: 14 Jan (Teen Tournament)
Audition Invite Email: 25 Jan
Audition Date: 12 Mar (Detroit)
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

dhumphreys17 wrote:I just got my audition invite email!

Online Test Date: 14 Jan (Teen Tournament)
Audition Invite Email: 25 Jan
Audition Date: 12 Mar (Detroit)
Congrats! Now go crush it.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm guessing that the Detroit audition dates for adults will be around the same time, then. Congrats to dhumphreys17 on getting a teen audition.
antheridia

Post by antheridia »

I know that there is no official information on this, but what is the general consensus on what score is needed to pass the test given during the in-person audition?

I believe 35 is the generally accepted "magic number" for the online test - is it the same for the audition or does the cut-off go higher?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

antheridia wrote:I know that there is no official information on this, but what is the general consensus on what score is needed to pass the test given during the in-person audition?

I believe 35 is the generally accepted "magic number" for the online test - is it the same for the audition or does the cut-off go higher?
Officially, the audition score is irrelevant. If you make it to the audition, you're in the pool.
Unofficially, it's probably a confirmation that you didn't cheat on the online test.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

I think it's also harder to be sure about your results on the in-person test. It's hard to remember all fifty questions for an hour or so until you can confirm the answers, especially since the intervening time is spent answering more questions and trying to be charming.

FWIW, I felt well-nigh certain about 30 or so of my answers, and have almost no idea how I did on the balance.
JericBrual

Post by JericBrual »

Hi, there! Long time lurker, first time posting. I'm a teen from the East Coast who has taken the Teen Tournament Online Test on January 14th. I saw a user here who applied for Detroit got their audition email on the 25th and someone on /r/Jeopardy get their San Fran audition email (teen) on the 21st. I belong to the East Coast (NYC) being my applicant city and I was wondering if emails are being distributed west to east? It's been almost two weeks since I took the test and I'm already losing hope. I'd like to know if any one here from the East Coast got their invite yet. It would be really helpful as I've been checking my Mom's email daily. Pretty sure I did well enough on the test (40+), but when should I stop and give up hope for the email? Thanks everyone.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

JericBrual wrote:Hi, there! Long time lurker, first time posting. I'm a teen from the East Coast who has taken the Teen Tournament Online Test on January 14th. I saw a user here who applied for Detroit got their audition email on the 25th and someone on /r/Jeopardy get their San Fran audition email (teen) on the 21st. I belong to the East Coast (NYC) being my applicant city and I was wondering if emails are being distributed west to east? It's been almost two weeks since I took the test and I'm already losing hope. I'd like to know if any one here from the East Coast got their invite yet. It would be really helpful as I've been checking my Mom's email daily. Pretty sure I did well enough on the test (40+), but when should I stop and give up hope for the email? Thanks everyone.
The people who got San Fran and the Teen would be based on the 2015 auditions. I'm sorry to say the NYC auditions for 2015 were back in May or Jube I believe. (My Kansas City one based on 3015 test was late June/early July)

Keep in mind that doing good on the test doesn't guarantee you an audition, the auditioners are randomly picked from passers and only enough to fill the audition spaces they have, not the other way around.

Hopefully you're taking the test this week and will get an audition later this year!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
JericBrual wrote:Hi, there! Long time lurker, first time posting. I'm a teen from the East Coast who has taken the Teen Tournament Online Test on January 14th. I saw a user here who applied for Detroit got their audition email on the 25th and someone on /r/Jeopardy get their San Fran audition email (teen) on the 21st. I belong to the East Coast (NYC) being my applicant city and I was wondering if emails are being distributed west to east? It's been almost two weeks since I took the test and I'm already losing hope. I'd like to know if any one here from the East Coast got their invite yet. It would be really helpful as I've been checking my Mom's email daily. Pretty sure I did well enough on the test (40+), but when should I stop and give up hope for the email? Thanks everyone.
The people who got San Fran and the Teen would be based on the 2015 auditions. I'm sorry to say the NYC auditions for 2015 were back in May or Jube I believe. (My Kansas City one based on 3015 test was late June/early July)
1. There were NYC auditions in March 2015. I'm not sure if any were also held later in the year; in some years they've been known to make 2 separate visits to NYC.

2. It's good to know that J! will still be administering the online test in 3015. :lol: I will keep taking the test biennially for 1,000 years if that's what it takes to finally get The Call. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
1. There were NYC auditions in March 2015. I'm not sure if any were also held later in the year; in some years they've been known to make 2 separate visits to NYC.

2. It's good to know that J! will still be administering the online test in 3015. :lol: I will keep taking the test biennially for 1,000 years if that's what it takes to finally get The Call. :D
Wasn't the test last year in like April or something? (I remember it was crazy late). Also you try getting perfect typing outdoors in 30 degree weather with fat fingers. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

Wasn't the test last year in like April or something? (I remember it was crazy late). Also you try getting perfect typing outdoors in 30 degree weather with fat fingers. :)
The test last year was indeed in April, but auditions were held in NYC and D.C. (and Chicago, IIRC) prior to that, in March. (D.C. was where I auditioned, on March 21). I don't remember whether Maggie and company came back to the Big Apple so soon after just because there had been an intervening online test. The Sony hacking incident really threw off their scheduling for a while.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

hbomb1947 wrote: 2. It's good to know that J! will still be administering the online test in 3015. :lol: I will keep taking the test biennially for 1,000 years if that's what it takes to finally get The Call. :D
I can't wait to see who gets to compete in the Jeopardy! Battle of the Centuries.