Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Getting excited...and nervous!

Post by barandall800 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
JillyJill wrote:
RandyG wrote:
JillyJill wrote:I am trying out at 9 AM on July 1 in KC. I have been practicing at home with taped episodes and working on my entertaining anecdotes. I watched Randy and Stephanie's webinar about the tryouts. Am I ready? Not sure. I am debating about whether to wear a suit jacket or a sweater with a scarf.

Anyone else in my 9AM Wednesday tryout in KC?
Wear whatever will make you feel the most comfortable and confident. Good luck!
Thanks, Randy!! I thought your webinar was really helpful. My kids have been working with me on my anecdotes. It also has been really helpful to practice buzzing in while standing up. I tried out twice on the Sony lot in the early 90's, once for College Jeopardy! and once for the regular one. I passed through to the interview and mock round in College Jeopardy! but they picked another student from my school. I didn't pass the written test in 1995, even though I was coming straight from playing College Bowl as a grad student. Thankfully, I have some more life experience under my belt now! Maybe it will help!

I am headed down to KC to tonight to be well-rested for tomorrow! Good luck to everyone auditioning!
Good luck! I had a KC audition today and the whole crew was fabulous! They will definitely help anyone be what they need to be to be on J! (including relaxed). They have the best in the biz.
Good luck, buddy. Make sure you hit Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que (f/k/a Oklahoma Joe's) on the Kansas side before you leave town. It's a critically important life decision.
I testify to this. Changed my life... :)
GingerBeer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by GingerBeer »

dhkendall wrote:
JillyJill wrote:
RandyG wrote:
JillyJill wrote:I am trying out at 9 AM on July 1 in KC. I have been practicing at home with taped episodes and working on my entertaining anecdotes. I watched Randy and Stephanie's webinar about the tryouts. Am I ready? Not sure. I am debating about whether to wear a suit jacket or a sweater with a scarf.

Thanks, Randy!! I thought your webinar was really helpful. My kids have been working with me on my anecdotes. It also has been really helpful to practice buzzing in while standing up. I tried out twice on the Sony lot in the early 90's, once for College Jeopardy! and once for the regular one. I passed through to the interview and mock round in College Jeopardy! but they picked another student from my school. I didn't pass the written test in 1995, even though I was coming straight from playing College Bowl as a grad student. Thankfully, I have some more life experience under my belt now! Maybe it will help!

I am headed down to KC to tonight to be well-rested for tomorrow! Good luck to everyone auditioning!
Good luck! I had a KC audition today and the whole crew was fabulous! They will definitely help anyone be what they need to be to be on J! (including relaxed). They have the best in the biz.
I, too, had a KC audition Tuesday morning, and the experience was a great deal of fun, thanks to Maggie and the entire J! contestant coordinator crew. You'll do great, Jilly!

May I add, DHKendall cleans up quite nicely, and is taller than I had imagined. I wish I'd had a minute to say hello in person, before we were split in two groups for the testing. Good luck, retroactively, Dave! Good luck, Jilly!
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by doihavetoreally »

Any boardies in the video from Kansas City Auditions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byZeD9QgK88
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Audition is complete!

Post by JillyJill »

Decided not to quote again given how many nested quotes there were.

Thanks for the good wishes, DHKendall and Gingerbeer! I am sure you both did well with the audition and wish you both the best.

It was honestly the most fun I've had in years! I thought the written test was just as hard as the one I took (and failed) 20 years ago on the Sony lot! Comparing notes with others in the room, I was spectacularly lucky in several of my guesses. I would estimate that I missed around 5-6. Others in the room felt it was easier than the online test, but I did not think so.

I was called down first for the mock round/interview, which I know is meaningless, except that I had to go first! I missed one buzz-in question, so if that keeps me out, those are the breaks, I guess. I was pretty quick at asking for categories. I teach 8th grade English, which led Corina to remark that I was eligible for the Teacher Tournament, but she pointed out that there are only 15 slots each year for it. There was one other teacher in my group.

My group had just slightly more men than women. I thought everyone seemed incredibly interesting and knowledgeable. Many had traveled from Chicago or Indiana to KC, which seems pretty far, honestly. Two were from Ohio. I think it would be amazing fun to be one of the Jeopardy! contestant coordinators.

Wow! I feel really blessed to have had the opportunity to audition, honestly. :) I am still on a high from the experience.
jakespencer

Post by jakespencer »

(Lurker here, first post)

I had an 11:30 audition in KC this morning. I really appreciate the information and tips shared here and in the terrific webinar by Randy and Stephanie!

I was the last person called up in the last group so of course I fear I was probably the bottom of the barrel on the written test but I think I did ok up there (although Maggie did ask me to speak up once to my shame).

It was a blast and I wish everyone good luck!
fritzatron
Contributor

Post by fritzatron »

9AM KC kid here! Thought I did pretty well on the written test, probably about the same as I did on the online test. I tried to project as much confidence and smiles as I could during the mock game/interview, and I didn't get told to speak up or go quicker so I think that's a plus. I was definitely the youngest person in the room by about 5 years at least, so that was a little intimidating, but everyone was very nice. The contestant coordinators are angels.

Best of luck to everyone from my group! Jill, you were especially very nice and it was great to talk to you afterwards!
TerSch
Contributor

Post by TerSch »

jakespencer wrote:(Lurker here, first post)

I had an 11:30 audition in KC this morning. I really appreciate the information and tips shared here and in the terrific webinar by Randy and Stephanie!

I was the last person called up in the last group so of course I fear I was probably the bottom of the barrel on the written test but I think I did ok up there (although Maggie did ask me to speak up once to my shame).

I too have been lurking for a while and this is my first post.

You were one of the best up there. (I don't think there would be a lot of debate about who was the worst. Ah, next time!)

As to your theory that being last indicating a low written test score, at least three people on my side of the room who went up before me were either brilliant sandbaggers/actors listing off their wrong answers and blanks or got lower scores than I did. So, we can reasonably safely assume that if there's any correlation (which I doubt) it''s the inverse of what you fear.

I second your appreciation for all the information here and on Randy and Stephanie's webinar.

Nice job. Good luck.

Terry
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

barandall800 wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Good luck, buddy. Make sure you hit Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que (f/k/a Oklahoma Joe's) on the Kansas side before you leave town. It's a critically important life decision.
I testify to this. Changed my life... :)
I will never have burnt ends again unless I'm at Joe's.
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
JillyJill wrote:
RandyG wrote:

Good luck, buddy. Make sure you hit Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que (f/k/a Oklahoma Joe's) on the Kansas side before you leave town. It's a critically important life decision.
OMG I'm from KC and Joe's (although it will always be "Oklahoma Joe's" in my heart) is the absolute BEST. It's at least a monthly happening for me.

Had my KC audition on Sunday and was the only one from the KC area in the room! I was very surprised but I guess I got lucky then!
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

fritzatron wrote:9AM KC kid here! Thought I did pretty well on the written test, probably about the same as I did on the online test. I tried to project as much confidence and smiles as I could during the mock game/interview, and I didn't get told to speak up or go quicker so I think that's a plus. I was definitely the youngest person in the room by about 5 years at least, so that was a little intimidating, but everyone was very nice. The contestant coordinators are angels.

Best of luck to everyone from my group! Jill, you were especially very nice and it was great to talk to you afterwards!
Wonderful to meet you as well, Fritzatron!! :) You are brilliant and had a really strong audition! I thought that the group as a whole seemed very sharp, with fascinating stories. The contestant coordinators did a great job of making everyone shine. It would be hard for me to choose. I don't have access to the test scores, of course. :)

I spent the ride home figuring out which questions I missed and which I got right. I am really frustrated by one that I answered quickly but incorrectly on the written test. Sigh. Even my older son (not a trivia buff) knew it immediately.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

britt408 wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
OMG I'm from KC and Joe's (although it will always be "Oklahoma Joe's" in my heart) is the absolute BEST. It's at least a monthly happening for me.

Had my KC audition on Sunday and was the only one from the KC area in the room! I was very surprised but I guess I got lucky then!
Yes, for those of you wondering, thejeopardyfan and I (and mrs. dhkendall) ate at Joes for dinner last night, my last in KC.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
J-Wife
Contributor

Post by J-Wife »

doihavetoreally wrote:Any boardies in the video from Kansas City Auditions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byZeD9QgK88
I was with Maggie that day but at a different time. Anyone else here from 11:30 on Tuesday with Maggie?
jakespencer

Post by jakespencer »

TerSch wrote:
jakespencer wrote:(Lurker here, first post)

I too have been lurking for a while and this is my first post.

You were one of the best up there. (I don't think there would be a lot of debate about who was the worst. Ah, next time!)

As to your theory that being last indicating a low written test score, at least three people on my side of the room who went up before me were either brilliant sandbaggers/actors listing off their wrong answers and blanks or got lower scores than I did. So, we can reasonably safely assume that if there's any correlation (which I doubt) it''s the inverse of what you fear.

I second your appreciation for all the information here and on Randy and Stephanie's webinar.

Nice job. Good luck.

Terry
Thanks for the kind words, Terry! I don't think you did bad at all--I was very impressed with our group. I was somewhat expecting to see a few more introverted/quiet folks at a Jeopardy! audition but everyone was outgoing and would fit in as contestants on the show.

Jake
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

Tabby wrote:
Tigershark wrote:
dfawcettSD wrote:
stretch89 wrote:Hi Everyone,

First time here. I saw someone ask about other Sports J! audition locations/dates outside of the Southeast...

I got "the email" after going 24/30 on the initial online test and will be auditioning in Los Angeles on the morning of July 9. I've never passed the standard J! online test and admittedly scream at the TV every night hoping Alex will announce a sports category, so here's hoping that Sports J! is for me!

Good luck with your audition. Yours is the first I've read of someone getting an invite of any kind for auditions back in LA. Wondering if it means invites to auditions in LA for the regular show will be going out soon, too.
I know someone who got an invitation a couple of weeks ago to an LA audition in mid-July.
I've been looking for info on the LA audition for regular Jeopardy - have you heard when those auditions are, or was this an invitation for Sports Jeopardy?
Sorry, I didn't see this before. I got an email a few weeks ago for an LA audition for the regular show. Mine is July 14th.
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

Good luck, Worldwidewebster. Still nothing from Jeopardy! for me, but I'll keep hoping it's only a matter of time. All these discussions of audition experiences are tantalizing.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

GingerBeer wrote: May I add, DHKendall cleans up quite nicely, and is taller than I had imagined. I wish I'd had a minute to say hello in person, before we were split in two groups for the testing. Good luck, retroactively, Dave! Good luck, Jilly!
I was a bit disappointed that there weren't any boardies (that I know of) in my group, and I wish I had known there was at least one in the room beforehand, but I got in just under the wire (due to a comedy of errors that Shakespeare would have approved of). I'm honoured at your words, though!

In case people are wondering how on earth I can actually "clean up quite nicely" (because I have a hard time believing that myself), here I am outside the audition place: (I'll also add my wife had a lot to do with me looking halfway decent.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

You look like Jeopardy! material, sir!

Good luck in the pool.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

patkav wrote:You look like Jeopardy! material, sir!
Wholeheartedly agree!
patkav wrote:Good luck in the pool.
What she said.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Sheesh, I'm sheeping even outside of TDs now! :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

patkav wrote:You look like Jeopardy! material, sir!
Thanks. The more I look at that picture the more I'm convinced I look like Bubbles from The Trailer Park Boys.