Monday, February 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6766, 2014-02-03

Battle of the Decades: The 1980s game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Jim Scott, an attorney from Arlington, Virginia
Chuck Forrest, an attorney for the UN IFAD from Marino, Italy
India Cooper, a copy editor from Madison, Indiana

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to game number one of the first round in our Battle of the Decades. I have been cheating a little. I've been eavesdropping on our contestants backstage--all 15 players you're gonna see competing up here this week. And I can tell you, they are a marvelous group of individuals. They're all very successful, of course. They're kind of laid-back. They're gregarious. They're funny. And they're all getting along extremely well. But that may change. Keep in mind that they are playing for an ultimate prize of $1 million. All right, Jim, Chuck, and India, good to see you again, and good luck. Here we go. India, you get to pick first from these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRE-'80s HISTORY (5/5)
NAME THE BIBLE BOOK (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ON THE "M"ENU (5/5)
BORN IN THE USA (4/5)
PERSONAL SPACE INVADERS (4/5)
VALLEY GIRL SPEAK (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chuck: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
India: 7 R, 2 W
Jim: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chuck found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. India was in the hole with -$400, Chuck had $3,400, and Jim was at $400. Chuck wagered $1,500.

NAME THE BIBLE BOOK $600: "But the Lord sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chuck: $4,900
Jim: $400
India: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Former Jeopardy! champion Jim Scott used his winnings to attend law school and become an attorney. And as a former champion, he is recognized quite often. But not because people saw you on television on our program, but where?

Jim: Well, actually on the silver screen, Alex.

Alex: Yeah?

Jim: One of my shows was actually incorporated into the movie Groundhog Day, and a lot of people have seen me getting--questions, I should say, in the LAKES & RIVERS category in Groundhog Day.

Alex: Uh-huh, and they get to see it over and over and over again. That's the best kind of appearance.

Jim: [Overlapping with Alex] And I think that's very--

Alex: Too bad you didn't get a residual for that.

Alex: Chuck Forrest is now spending his time in Italy working for the UN organization, the International Fund for Agricultural Development. Now, what kind of work are you doing specifically?

Chuck: We provide, um, loans and grants to developing countries, particularly in Africa, in order to develop, uh, agricultural projects for small farmers.

Alex: Okay, so you're providing the funding to organizations in those countries, as opposed to the individuals themselves.

Chuck: Right, and we build roads and provide ways for, you know, poor people to come out of poverty.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: India Cooper is from Madison. Uh... you are the only contestant we've had on this program who once appeared on what was then my favorite television drama, Law & Order. Were you one of the jurors? What did you do?

India: I was a hotel clerk.

Alex: And how did you get that? Because we never talked about your acting aspirations on Jeopardy!

India: Well, I was--I was, um, being an actor, and I had a day job that I loved--being a copy editor, as well. That I'm still doing. But I went to New York in 1990 to pursue the acting career. And I had an agent, and I got some auditions, and I got some jobs, and worked on Law & Order.

Alex: And, unlike--unlike Jim, you do get residuals.

India: I do get residuals.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BORN IN THE USA $1000: New York City, 1885:
This "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" composer
(India: Who is Hoagy Carmichael?)

PERSONAL SPACE INVADERS $200: This "beastly" embrace is a Wall Street term for a takeover bid with a share price so high, the board can't refuse

NAME THE BIBLE BOOK $1000: (The first book) "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?"
(Jim: What is Matthew?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Chuck: $8,700
India: $3,200
Jim: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD LITERATURE (5/5)
ALSO A TYPE OF FOOTWEAR (4/5)
PHYSIOLOGY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BROADWAY MUSICALS (3/5)
"S"ITIES (5/5)
LATIN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
India: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Chuck: 8 R, 1 W
Jim: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
India snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. India had $8,000, Chuck had $11,900, and Jim was at $3,200. India wagered $4,000.

LATIN $1200: This phrase literally means "until seasickness"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was India who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. India had $14,000, Chuck had $11,900, and Jim was at $4,800. India wagered $1,500.

PHYSIOLOGY $800: When you swallow, this flap of cartilage acts like a lid to the larynx
(India: What is the uvula?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALSO A TYPE OF FOOTWEAR $2000: Ohio city once home to Big Ben (Roethlisberger)

BROADWAY MUSICALS $1200: This show with a street in its title had songs like "I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today"
(Alex: It's okay for puppets.)

BROADWAY MUSICALS $1600: "I Meant You No Harm" is a song for James Thunder Early in this '60s & '70s-set show

PHYSIOLOGY $1600: The pineal gland secretes this hormone that helps regulate sleep
(Jim: What is the pituitary?)

PHYSIOLOGY $2000: Take a gamble & name this longest cranial nerve, which runs from the brain through the neck & thorax to the abdomen

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
India: $18,500
Chuck: $16,700
Jim: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTS & FIRST LADIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
India: Wager $14,901 to cover Chuck. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $8,501.
Chuck: Your score is within 4/5ths of India's, so wager between $3,601 (venusian) and $10,299 (martian), beating India's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Jim's part.
Jim: You just can't cover a rational wager by Chuck, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only foreign-born First Lady was the wife of this man who served in the diplomatic corps from age 14

FINAL SCORES
Jim: $3,200 + $3,000 = $6,200 (Who was John Quincy Adams?) (2nd place)
Chuck: $16,700 + $16,700 = $33,400 (Who is John Q. Adams?) (Quarterfinalist)
India: $18,500 - $16,500 = $2,000 (Who is Madison?) (3rd place)
(Alex: Her name was Louisa, and she was born in London.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
India: $17,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Chuck: $15,800, 21 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jim: $3,200, 9 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $36,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Chuck: 22/59 = .373
India: 21/60 = .350
Jim: 10/58 = .172
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ON THE "M"ENU $800: This 2-word term means chemistry & physics have come to the kitchen; liquid nitrogen & lasers might be involved
(Jim: What is molecular?)
(Alex: We need more than that.)
(Jim: What is molecular cuisine?)
(Alex: No. Chuck?)
(Chuck: Uh, what is molecular cooking?)
[Initially ruled incorrect, reversed before Daily Double at clue 13; the judges stood by their ruling against Jim because he didn't give a 2-word term at first.]

NAME THE BIBLE BOOK $400: "Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins"
(India: What is I Corinthians?)

PRE-'80s HISTORY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) By law, Roman generals couldn't lead forces out of their assigned province; Caesar's 49 B.C. crossing of this stream separating Cisalpine Gaul from Italy acted as a war declaration

LATIN $1600: They're the 3 Latin words that follow here

"Glo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ria..."

WORLD LITERATURE $1600: In 1956 he published "La Chute", or "The Fall"; the next year he won the Nobel Prize for Literature
(Chuck: Who is Sartre?)

BROADWAY MUSICALS $2000: "(Ya Got) Trouble" when ya go to see this hill of a show
(Alex: That's right. You got trouble in River City.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jonah
Jerome Kern
a bear hug
I Corinthians
ad nauseum
the epiglottis
Oxford
Avenue Q
Dreamgirls
melatonin
the vagus
John Quincy Adams
molecular gastronomy (or cooking)
Proverbs
the Rubicon
in excelsis deo
(Albert) Camus
The Music Man
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Presidents & First Ladies
The only foreign-born first lady was the wife of this man who served in the diplomatic corps from age 14.

Spoiler
Who is John Quincy Adams? India said Madison.

India Cooper: $18,500-$16,500=$2,000
Chuck Forrest: $16,700+$16,700=$33,400...advances to...something
Jim Scott: $3,200+$3,000=$6,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Great battle by India and Chuck going down to the last clue and into FJ.

I didn't get Chuck's bet, but it worked out for him. The screens showed $5,000 at the end for India and Jim and the amount Chuck ended with on his. Does Chuck keep that amount or does he get a certain amount for winning or is advancing to the next round all he gets?

My precall of Abe and Mary Todd quickly went out the window. Then I went to the Hoovers, but that didn't seem right. Who would have been a diplomat at 14? JQ Adams made sense, I suppose his dad would have been doing something in that field at that time so with no better ideas I went with him. I didn't know his wife's name at the time, but when I heard Alex say Louisa, I knew I was home free.

Part of what made me feel good about my question was that they answered for his name, not hers. That told me her name would be one most wouldn't know off the top of their heads, such as Dolly Madison.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Part of what made me feel good about my question was that they answered for his name, not hers. That told me her name would be one most wouldn't know off the top of their heads, such as Dolly Madison.
*nod* I couldn't remember van Buren's wife's name, so I guessed her -- well, him ... you know what I mean.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

A few disappointments. Disappointed that Chuck Forrest didn't use his eponymous bounce (or, at least, not to the extent some people have lately (not just Arthur)). And, I would have been quite pleased if, during the tournament, the theme was changed to that of the show during that decade - the globe and "whoosh" sound would have been a great nostalgic euphoria.

Judges: $800 in PERSONAL SPACE INVADERS: "Pickpocketing" was given, is "stealing" ok on its own, would it be BMSed, or negged outright?

In before TPH can complain about a negative Coryat and/or single number of gets. These were very hard questions, above TOC level (I'd put them at UTOC, ut I"m curious to know if my mileage varies) and I also got very low scores and number of gets. (Thank goodness I keep separate track of just regular game scores for my stats, excluding tournaments (both kids and ToC) and repeats). So, yeah, these are hard, I'll spare you telling everyone.

Also with Bamaman that I'm glad we didn't have to name the first lady. Still didn't get there. (Was thinking either Van Buren, Madison, or Jefferson.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Surprised Cooper didn't get JQ. Surprised at Forrest's awful wager.

He seemed a little miffed when Cooper got that DD, no?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: $800 in PERSONAL SPACE INVADERS: "Pickpocketing" was given, is "stealing" ok on its own, would it be BMSed, or negged outright?
Probably BMS'd, although certainly not equivalent to pickpocketing.
In before TPH can complain about a negative Coryat and/or single number of gets. These were very hard questions, above TOC level (I'd put them at UTOC, ut I"m curious to know if my mileage varies) and I also got very low scores and number of gets. (Thank goodness I keep separate track of just regular game scores for my stats, excluding tournaments (both kids and ToC) and repeats). So, yeah, these are hard, I'll spare you telling everyone.
I don't keep Coryats, but I'd bet mine was slightly better than 1/2 its normal level.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Curious to see how Forrest does on a more generic stack. We have an Italian language speaker who was in the diplomatic corps in Sarajevo answering questions about Latin and Italian words, a Bosnian city, and a president who rather famously was also a diplomat.
esrever

Post by esrever »

I was surprised Chuck didn't use his Forrest Bounce more often.

Picked up Lach trash on "bear hug"

Didn't get FJ.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

I have but one gripe with this tournament set- it does not use the Ultra-Electronic 80's theme that is Synonomous with J! It seems like it's going to be quite the tournament, regardless of the small little gripe, and congrats to Chuck on his win tonight!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

I wonder if Chuck ever saw this board to see how wagering gets talked about here or not. Seems to be here where it gets talked about more. Jim would have won if Chuck was wrong in FJ!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Jim looked so nervous up there. And Chuck didn't look too thrilled when India found both DJ round DDs.

I was glad to see a good, tough board, but man did I feel like an idiot. I did a little bit better in DJ, though. The one bright spot was that I ran the "World Literature" category. I also thought that Things Fall Apart, at $2000, was easier than the two clues above it.

I had thought that India underwagered on the DD that was in the second row, but it worked out for her. I would say that "epiglottis" was a little undervalued there.

I went with Hoover on FJ. I really thought that it would be a more recent President, but John Q. Adams makes sense in retrospect, from the "diplomat" part.

I was not at all surprised by Chuck's FJ wager, given the fact that I knew that he went all in in FJ in two of his last three appearances (or maybe all three? I don't remember what he wagered in his semifinal Million Dollar Masters Tournament game). I was half-expecting Jim to prevail on a TS FJ.

EDIT: Chuck did in fact wager everything in FJ in his semifinal Million Dollar Masters Tournament game.
Last edited by StevenH on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

Austin Powers wrote: He seemed a little miffed when Cooper got that DD, no?
Yeah, I noticed that too. To me, it looked like he had a sour look on his face and he drummed his fingers on the podium.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

What a fun game to watch, and what fun to compare what the contestants looked like then and now.

FJ was an Instaget... just knew that John Q. Adams was a diplomat at a very young age.

Looking forward to the rest of the games.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

dhkendall wrote:In before TPH can complain about a negative Coryat and/or single number of gets. These were very hard questions, above TOC level (I'd put them at UTOC, ut I"m curious to know if my mileage varies) and I also got very low scores and number of gets. (Thank goodness I keep separate track of just regular game scores for my stats, excluding tournaments (both kids and ToC) and repeats). So, yeah, these are hard, I'll spare you telling everyone.

Also with Bamaman that I'm glad we didn't have to name the first lady. Still didn't get there. (Was thinking either Van Buren, Madison, or Jefferson.)
I did fine in the first round, not quite as well in DJ, which I definitely found harder than usual.

FJ was an instaget.
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

I felt especially bad for Jim not getting retro-credited on the molecular gastronomy clue. It was the right ruling, but he just didn't get the same break that I got in one of my games.

Anyone else pre-call Harriet Lane?
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

That was a tough board. I don't Coryat, but I got burned a couple of times.

FJ!, however, was an instaget.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I'm not surprised that Chuck did not use the "Forrest Bounce" much. In the first place, the novel strategic value of such a move in 1985 was certainly no longer the case in general and certainly was not going to throw off the veterans with whom he was playing. Also, as Arthur noted last week, playing with the "Forrest Bounce" is mentally taxing on the player doing the bouncing as well, and Chuck might have thought that it would do him personally more harm than good.

Moreover, the reason why I picked against Chuck tonight is because I have always suspected that, unlike the many former champions that have continued to hone their skills on pub trivia, Chuck seems to have moved on over the last 30 years. He seems to be very much into his job and his post-Jeopardy life. Obviously, he's still very knowledgeable (although, as AP noted, he did have a number of categories that favored him--conspiracy theories anyone?) but I did not get the impression that he cares about it as much (despite some of his reactions during this game). When Chuck was in law school and the revived Jeopardy was still new, he was a true force of nature. He does not have that look about him now.

Truth be told, while all of the players were knowledgeable, they all seemed to be a little off their game except for when India ran off a string of clues in DJ that led me to think that my prediction of her win would be correct. I knew FJ right away, as I remember the docent telling a long account of Louisa Adams when I visited the Adams house a few years ago.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

georgespelvin wrote: I knew FJ right away, as I remember the docent telling a long account of Louisa Adams when I visited the Adams house a few years ago.
Is that the National Park they have in Quincy, MA?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!