TD 178: Countdown

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 178: Countdown

Post by DadofTwins »

Based on a premise I brazenly stole from MFalk, who deployed it masterfully in TD 22 . . .

It's COUNTDOWN!

Each question will have progressively fewer available correct answers. Your task is to decide which questions to answer and which ones not to, then give the best possible answers.

Rules – Copied and pasted (for the most part) from TD 176, with modifications for this format:

1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The deadline for submission is 12:00 PM CST Monday, February 10, 2014.

3. The object, as always, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions. If your answer is correct, your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.

4. If your answer is incorrect, your score will be the number of people who gave an incorrect answer to that question PLUS the number of available correct answers.

EXAMPLE: You and three other people give an incorrect answer to Question 10. Your score for that question would be 14.

5. You may drop as many questions as you wish. Your score for that question will be zero, but you will incur a "drop penalty" based on the number of available correct answers. At the end, the number of available answers for each dropped question will be MULTIPLIED together, then added to your final total. The final total is the sum of your question scores plus your drop penalty. Lowest final total wins.

EXAMPLE: You drop questions 3, 4, and 6. A penalty of 72 points (3 X 4 X 6) would be added to your score at the end.

6. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

7. The first tiebreaker will be the number of correct answers, followed by smallest drop penalty, followed by the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

8. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.
Last edited by DadofTwins on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DadofTwins

Re: TD 178: Countdown

Post by DadofTwins »

The Questions:

15 -- Fifteen movies in the National Lampoon series have the words "National Lampoon" (or "National Lampoon's") in the title. Name one.

14 -- In 1991 Pope John Paul II rewrote the Catholic devotion series known as the "Stations of the Cross," covering the last 24 hours of Jesus' life. His goal was "to reflect more deeply on the Scriptural accounts of Christ's passion." This new version is generally referred to as the "Scriptural Stations." Name one of the "Scriptural" Stations included in the series. (Source: US Council of Catholic Bishops)

13 -- Thirteen Frenchmen (and yes, they're all men) have been awarded a Nobel Prize in Literature. Name one.

12 -- Full moon names: September and October are both sometimes called "Harvest," and the December full moon is sometimes called the "Moon of Full Nights." Name one of the other twelve full moon names listed in the Farmer's Almanac.

11 -- In peacetime, an officer in the US Navy can attain one of ten rank titles. An eleventh rank title can be awarded by Congress, but only in time of war. (A twelfth rank, "Admiral of the Navy," has only been awarded once and, by law, cannot be awarded again.) Name the title for one of the eleven currently "attainable" ranks.

10 -- Since 1980, ten TV theme songs have reached at least #65 on the Billboard Hot 100. Name either the TV show or the theme song. (For this question, the title of the show and the name of the song are treated as the same answer. If "Jeopardy Theme" were on the list, I would accept "Jeopardy," "Jeopardy Theme," "Think" and "I'm a Little Teapot" as the same correct answer.)

FURTHER CLARIFICATION: This list only includes songs which reached their highest point on the charts the AFTER the TV show premiered. So "Providence," which used a cover of the Beatles classic "In My Life," is not on the list.

9 -- Name one of the nine people still alive as of February 1, 2014 who has flown to the Moon but has never walked on it.

8 -- Name one of the eight different apparatuses used by artistic (as opposed to rhythmic or trampoline) gymnasts in Olympic competition.

7 -- In either English or Swahili, name one of the seven principles of Kwanzaa.

6 -- The Washington Nationals and Seattle Mariners have never played in a World Series. Six other current major league teams have not lost a World Series game since November 1, 1986. Name one of these six teams.

5 -- Name one of the animals known by big game hunters as the "Big Five" most dangerous animals to hunt.

4 -- One classic approximation of pi is 22/7. Name one of the four digits that will NEVER appear after the decimal place when converting this fraction to a decimal.

3 -- Name one of the three U. S. cities that meet the following three criteria: 1) Largest city in the state, 2) City name begins with a vowel, 3) NOT the state capital.
Last edited by DadofTwins on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Clarifications go here

3 -- Largest means highest population. And if it helps, for the three I have on the list the second-largest by population isn't really close, so judging "city" by MSA or city limits should both work.

6 -- We'll play it as it lies, but I missed one.
Last edited by DadofTwins on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Entry Order List

Magna
immaf
JPahk
Alyssa
gamawire

esrever
ElendilPickle
Creed Bratton
Lilac
tjconn728

Joy
dnbguy
geolawyerman
MarkBarrett
Leander

Aardvark
nserven
Paucle
Woppy T
econgator

debramc
Vanya
Kayanne
ihavejeoprosy
Bamaman

Linear Gnome
goforthetie
This is Kirk!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Last edited by DadofTwins on Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DadofTwins wrote:3 -- Name one of the three U. S. cities that meet the following three criteria: 1) Largest city in the state, 2) City name begins with a vowel, 3) NOT the state capital.
Largest how?
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

econgator wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:3 -- Name one of the three U. S. cities that meet the following three criteria: 1) Largest city in the state, 2) City name begins with a vowel, 3) NOT the state capital.
Largest how?
Population.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

If you can give English or Swahili, is the risk on the question 14 or 7?
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

For 14, do you just need a general description or is there an "official" name?
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

On 7, English and Swahili are considered the same answer.

On 14, I want to give you credit. Convince me you know what you're talking about,and I'll count it good.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I would love to participate but I have response for only about half the questions :(
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Bump ba da bump bump

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

CyrusChan wrote:I would love to participate but I have response for only about half the questions :(
Don't let that stop you - I never do! :lol:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

CyrusChan wrote:I would love to participate but I have response for only about half the questions :(
Then drop the rest- that's allowed!
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

DadofTwins wrote:4. If your answer is incorrect, your score will be the number of people who gave an incorrect answer to that question PLUS the number of available correct answers.

EXAMPLE: You and three other people give an incorrect answer to Question 10. Your score for that question would be 14.
I love the idea that an intentional incorrect in the late-game could be a viable strategy.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Six other current major league teams have not lost a World Series game since November 1, 1986. Name one of these six teams.
What does this mean? Do you want names of teams that haven't made a world series since 1986, therefore not losing? Or is it teams that have won their series 4-0?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Six other current major league teams have not lost a World Series game since November 1, 1986. Name one of these six teams.
What does this mean? Do you want names of teams that haven't made a world series since 1986, therefore not losing? Or is it teams that have won their series 4-0?
As we used to put on tests in the Navy: ATQA (answer the question asked). If team X has not lost a WS game, then it's a valid answer.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
If, in the 27 and change years since November 1, 1986, the team has not been on the losing end of a single World Series game (for whatever reason and excluding the two teams mentioned earlier in the question), they made the list.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This is an example of a question better asked through a p-mail.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

econgator wrote: As we used to put on tests in the Navy: ATQA (answer the question asked). If team X has not lost a WS game, then it's a valid answer.
Well, considering there are multiple possible choices, the question helps to get a better answer.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
econgator wrote: As we used to put on tests in the Navy: ATQA (answer the question asked). If team X has not lost a WS game, then it's a valid answer.
Well, considering there are multiple possible choices, the question helps to get a better answer.
DoT gave the exact number of possible choices. Write all 30 teams. Cross off the Nats and Mariners. Of the remaining 28 teams are there precisely six that meet what the question asked? Good. Pick one. Just not mine.