1. Since 1920, Ice Hockey has been included in the Olympics. Name an Olympic Ice Hockey medal-winning country. I will need the specific country, as outlined in Rule #5.
2. Between 1967 and 1973, the NHL expanded from 6 teams (The Original 6) to 16 . Name a team that was created or brought into the league from this time period. For this question, I will need the full team name when it was added to the league, for example: Hershey B’ars.
3. What good is a team without a coach? Name an NHL head coach who has won the Jack Adams Award, which has been awarded annually since 1974 by the NHL Broadcasters Association to the coach “adjudged to have contributed the most to his team’s success.”
Bonus 1: Followup to the Jack Adams Award. Name a coach who has won the award multiple times, as well as how many times he has won the award. Only one guess per coach, and 5 total guesses. Example format: (K. Jennings, 74)
4.Although hundreds of players have appeared in 1,000 or more regular-season games, only 14 have appeared in at least 1,500. Name one of those 1500-club players. (Hint: none are still active.)
Bonus 2- For a 1 point reduction, name the team on which more of those 14 players have played on than any other.
5.The IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) hosts a World Championship, similar to the World Baseball Classic, during the NHL playoffs. Name a medal winning country. See Rule #5 for an explanation on accepted countries.
6.Undisputed MVP! Name an NHL player who has won both the Hart Trophy(MVP as judged by Professional Hockey Writer’s association) and the Lester B. Pearson/Ted Lindsay Award(MVP as judged by NHL Player’s association) in the same season.
7.In hockey lore, the Miracle on Ice, when a “Cinderella team” won the Ice Hockey Gold Medal at the 1980 Olympics, is one of the biggest stories in hockey history. Name a team that participated in the 1980 Olympics in Ice Hockey.
8.Goaltenders in the NHL have, subjectively speaking, the toughest job on the ice and possibly throughout all of professional sports. Goaltenders are given 2 awards annually because of their unique statistics, the Vezina(MVP of Goaltenders, voted on by NHL General managers) and the William M. Jennings, essentially a team effort of the starter and backup(s) for allowing the fewest total goals over the regular season. Name a Team whose goaltender(s) have won the Jennings, which has been awarded since 1982.
9.Among active NHL goaltenders, name one that has more than 214 regular season wins.
10.College is one of two main ways to receive a chance at the NHL. According to the USCHO.com Men’s Division I Poll that came out on 2/10/14, name one of the Top 20 Hockey schools in the country.
11.The other main way to receive a chance at the NHL is to go through the CHL, the Canadian Hockey League, a set of Three Major Junior Leagues set across Canada and the Northern US. Name a Province or State that hosts a CHL team.
12. We are the champions of perseverance! Since 2001, 8 players who are currently active have been awarded the Masterton Trophy, the trophy awarded for the player who “best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.” Name one.
13. Since 1915, the Stanley Cup has gone to the Champions of the National Hockey League. Name a current team who has made 4 or more appearances in the Stanley Cup Finals since 1915. Teams that have changed name are listed under their current incarnation.
EDIT: RandyG had helped me construct better wording for the questions and I had left a few editing punctuation marks in there. They should be gone now.
EDIT 2: tjconn728 pointed out an error in Q10. It is for Last week's poll(the week of 2/10)