Wednesday, February 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6778, 2014-02-19

2014 College Championship semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Julia Clark, a senior at Harvard University from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Erika Sloan, a sophomore from Middlebury College from Simsbury, Connecticut
Kevin Shen, a junior from the University of California, Berkeley from Cupertino, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, everyone. There are two people who are watching the program today who have a vested interest in the outcome of this competition--Tucker Pope from Texas A&M and Terry O'Shea from Princeton, the two finalists who get to come back tomorrow to begin the 2-day final and play for $100,000. Who will join them? Will it be Julia, Erika, Kevin? Let's start finding out. Good luck. Here are the categories now for this first round of play today. We start you off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DORM ROOM CHECKLIST (5/5)
WEBSITES (4/5)
RECENTLY BANNED OR CHALLENGED BOOKS (4/5)
STATE LINES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"FOR" WORDS & "BACK" WORDS (5/5)
THE MOVIE SUPERHERO WHO... (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kevin: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Erika: 8 R, 1 W
Julia: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kevin found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Kevin had $4,400, Erika had $1,200, and Julia was at $600. Kevin wagered $1,000.

STATE LINES $800: From the pen of screenwriter Noel Langley:
"I've a feeling we're ___ ___ ___ ___"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kevin: $5,400
Erika: $1,200
Julia: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Two of our contestants on the program today are young ladies who are looking for careers in services that will help people from a health point of view. Julia Clark, your major is biology, and you use the Internet to do what kind of research work now?

Julia: I do research work that tries to track the way people get illnesses, so we like to look at the ways people use search engines or other websites to find out things about disease to try and predict when they might get one.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Erika Sloane, uh, you're a sophomore from Middlebury College, and you hope to get a private pilot's license Nnot just for the joy of flying but for...

Erika: Well, um, I'm hoping to become a doctor one day, and I think that it would be helpful in having a pilot's license to be able to travel to underserved communities and perform medical care there, so...

Alex: Are you thinking of underserved communities here in the United States or abroad?

Erika: Uh, primarily abroad, but maybe both.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Kevin Shen is from Cupertino, California. I do...two, possibly three crossword puzzles a day. But you are really into crossword puzzles. How many have you done in the last year or two?

Kevin: Um, in the last two years, I think I've done more than 2,000 crosswords.

Alex: Wow. Which are the toughest?

Kevin: The New York Times Saturday is the toughest. Um, The Washington Post Puzzler is pretty good, and I've lately been trying to get into cryptics, but those are...still beyond me.

Alex: My wife gave me a whole book with one --no, 50 of those Sunday puzzles, and I haven't gotten through one of them yet without opening the back of it and say, "Oh, yes. Get a little help." A little help from my friend at the back of the book.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WEBSITES $1000: Need a ride? Go to the site called this to schedule your pickup & look for the pink carstache
(Alex: And the website is [*].me.)

STATE LINES $1000: "So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea, while we were marching ___ ___"

THE MOVIE SUPERHERO WHO... $800: Is asked, "You've been called the da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?" "Ridiculous. I don't paint"

RECENTLY BANNED OR CHALLENGED BOOKS $1000: A Katy, Texas school district didn't have a Jane Smiley face after complaints about this numerically titled book

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kevin: $7,000
Erika: $4,000
Julia: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SORORITY SISTERS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ISLANDS OF THE PACIFIC (5/5)
SCIENCE IN THE WORLD (5/5)
21st CENTURY MUSIC (5/5)
FRENCH HISTORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CIVIL WAR SLANG (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Erika: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Kevin: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erika snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Kevin had $11,000, Erika had $5,600, and Julia was at $2,600. Erika wagered $1,600.

FRENCH HISTORY $800: At Castillon in 1453, French troops defeated the English in the final great battle of this war

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Erika who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Kevin had $13,000, Erika had $10,400, and Julia was at $10,600. Erika wagered $1,200.

SORORITY SISTERS $1600: This George W. Bush Cabinet member was Alpha Chi Omega, a sorority with musical origins, at the University of Denver

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FRENCH HISTORY $1600: In Feb. of this year France hosted the Grenoble Winter Olympics; in May protests nearly led to a leftist revolution

FRENCH HISTORY $2000: To grant religious freedom to Protestants, in 1598 King Henry IV issued the Edict of this city

CIVIL WAR SLANG $1200: A Confederate soldier could be called by this first name whether he was "marching home" or not

CIVIL WAR SLANG $1600: A Union soldier could be called this, now found before "Trade Commission"

CIVIL WAR SLANG $2000: Now it's slang for any bad situation; back then it was a foraging soldier

SORORITY SISTERS $400: We can see this 3-named Supreme Court justice, a Cornell AEPhi, just trashing a frat house at a kegger
(Erika: Who is Sandra Day O'Connor?)

SORORITY SISTERS $2000: Chi O! & Roll Tide! This author won a Pulitzer for fiction in 1961
(Alex: Author of a book you studied in high school -- [*], To Kill a Mockingbird.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kevin: $13,000
Erika: $11,600
Julia: $10,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Kevin: Wager $10,201 to cover Erika.
Erika: You ought to wager to cover Julia, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $11,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,600 (to shut out Julia) or less than $8,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Julia). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Kevin.
Julia: You ought to try wagering between $1,001 and $7,800. This will top a $0 wager by Erika while still beating Kevin and Erika on the Triple Stumper (should Kevin wager to cover Erika's doubled score and Erika wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He has the most speeches of any character with 471 in 3 plays, of which 2 are histories & 1 is a comedy

FINAL SCORES
Julia: $10,600 + $2,402 = $13,002 (Who is Falstaff?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Erika: $11,600 + $9,700 = $21,300 (Who is Falstaff?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Kevin: $13,000 + $10,201 = $23,201 (Who is Falstaff?) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kevin: $12,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Erika: $11,200, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Julia: $10,600, 14 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $34,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Kevin: 19/59 = .322
Erika: 18/60 = .300
Julia: 15/58 = .259
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DORM ROOM CHECKLIST $400: For your dining pleasure, this tool will come in quite handy

RECENTLY BANNED OR CHALLENGED BOOKS $200: A North Carolina county board made this 1952 Ralph Ellison classic disappear, saying it didn't have "any literary value"
(Julia: What is Native Son?)
(Erika: What is The Invisible Man?)

"FOR" WORDS & "BACK" WORDS $800: Type of workplace
seen here

SCIENCE IN THE WORLD $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew displays a javelin on the monitor.) In 1984, for safety reasons, after one was thrown a staggering 343 feet, the javelin was redesigned to underperform by moving this point, "CM" for short, by 4 centimeters, which keeps the nose down
(Julia: What is the center of gravity?)

ISLANDS OF THE PACIFIC $800: A big tourist activity in Tonga is whale watching, & since the whales are mainly this singing species, whale listening too
(Kevin: What are beluga whales?)

ISLANDS OF THE PACIFIC $2000: Thor Heyerdahl believed this island was once colonized by a redheaded race from South America, possibly Peru
(Erika: What is Ireland?)

SORORITY SISTERS $800: FSU Tri Delt Sara Blakely became a billionaire by inventing this tight-fitting undergarment line
(Alex: [*], yes.)
(Julia: I don't know why I know that. [laughs])

CORRECT RESPONSES
not in Kansas anymore
Lyft
through Georgia
Tony Stark/Iron Man
A Thousand Acres
the Hundred Years' War
Condoleezza Rice
Nantes
Johnny
federal
a bummer
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Harper Lee
Falstaff
a pizza cutter
Invisible Man
a forge
the center of mass
humpback whales
Easter Island
Spanx
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Shakespeare Characters
He has the most speeches of any character with 471 in 3 plays, of which 2 are histories & 1 is a comedy.

Spoiler
Who is Falstaff?

Kevin Shen: $13,000+$10,201=$23,201...Finalist
Erika Sloan: $11,600+$9,700=$21,300
Julia Clark: $10,600+$2,402=$13,002
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex's crossword story reminds me: the last time I was in Chicago's Union Station, I saw two old ladies working on a crossword together. One was filling in the squares, and the other was Googling the answers on her iPad.

====

Lyft.me seemed way too obscure compared to the other four websites.

"Marching through Georgia" was my only miss in Songs.

0/5 in Superheroes. I just don't get their appeal.

0/5 in Banned Books. NHO the bottom 3, and I think putting the easy (The) Invisible Man trap at $200 was mean.

And they play dirty in a "word in quotes" category again by having one in the middle that doesn't follow the "starts with" pattern ("affordable"). Stop doing that, writers.

====

Meat can be "browned"? I thought you were supposed to do that when cooking — make it brown.

"Oh, what is the name of animals that pollinate plants?" DEEEEEEEEERRRRRRP.

What was the TOM for Fiji on Islands for $400? Anything other than the water brand? Yap using giant wheels for currency was my only get there.

3/5 in 21st Century Music (everything but Jack White and the John Mayer song, but I at least recognize both names).

0/5 in France and Sorority. So that's what Versailles is.

====

No guess on FJ! I wouldn't have guessed Falstaff if you'd spotted me "It has three F's".
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Dear god in heaven, bet to win! There was one clue left! Aaaaahh! Why can't human be better at evaluating risk/reward?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

That game started off well, but boy, did it fizzle at the end. Not getting a three-named female SCOTUS justice, after Sandra Day O'Connor was already tried? As soon as I heard that clue, I thought back to past-contestant Matt Ahn's interview about his Notorious R.B.G. video.
Last edited by soxfan99 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

It is so awesome to watch America's brightest young minds turn surefire wins into losses with blindingly stupid strategy.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

soxfan99 wrote:Not getting a three-named female SCOUTS justice
No, that was later in the category.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

soxfan99 wrote:That game started off well, but boy, did it fizzle at the end. Not getting a three-named female SCOTUS justice, after Sandra Day O'Connor was already tried?
Does anyone have the wording handy? I'm trying to figure out if I could have gotten it right without the rebound. Picked up Lach trash with "Nantes." Stumped on FJ. :(
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

One of the few times that being an English major helps... so FJ was pretty much an Instaget for me.

:D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

The FJ clue was in the realm of Shakespeare 101 for those of us who harbor a desire to be on the show.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

At least she bet more than $600 so she could pass him on the last clue. That's about the only nice thing I can say about her bet. Of course, if she hadn't put Ireland in the Pacific Ocean, it wouldn't have mattered.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I couldn't figure out the point of the crosswords story. 2,000 puzzles in 2 years is 2.74 a day. I average 2 a day, and I'll bet Joon averages more than 2.74 puzzles a day in his sleep.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

In the J round, my scoresheet made a really nice pattern. In the five leftmost categories, I went 4/5 in each, missing only the last clue in each. (I was leaning "Neosporan" but didn't pull the trigger, and I got muddled between "backguard" and "backstop".)

In the superheroes category I did, um, less well.

Two in the DJ round that I really surprised myself by getting were Spanx and Lady Antebellum. (I know Lady Antebellum is probably really easy if you pay attention to recent music, but that's one of my knowledge gaps. But I did know they were a recent country group with exactly one female member.)

I needed the rebound on "Humpback whale".

Picked up Lach Trash on "1968", "Nantes", "Johnny", and also took the plunge with "Harper Lee". (A female author from Alabama, around 1961? Sure, I'll guess the obvious one.)

The FJ category made me sweat a little, because my Shakespeare knowledge is very uneven. Some plays and characters I know very well, others are huge gaps for me.

Fortunately, I only know one thing about "The Merry Wives of Windsor" (which I think I learned from Forrest and Lowenthal's book!) and that is that Falstaff was in it, who was also in some of the histories. (Which ones? I don't know. Some of the Henrys. I didn't need to know.)

(Actually, what other characters are in more than one Shakespeare play? There are probably tons who are in more than one of the histories but not in any non-history play, and then there is some overlap between Julius Caesar and Antony and Cleopatra.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

naurae29 wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:That game started off well, but boy, did it fizzle at the end. Not getting a three-named female SCOTUS justice, after Sandra Day O'Connor was already tried?
Does anyone have the wording handy? I'm trying to figure out if I could have gotten it right without the rebound. Picked up Lach trash with "Nantes." Stumped on FJ. :(
SOROITY SISTERS $400: We can see this 3-named Supreme Court Justice, a Cornell AEPhi, just trashing a frat house at a kegger

I gave myself a correct on Lyft even though that was all I had. I'm hopeful it's like Amazon in that the .(whatever) does not matter? I've seen enough of the vehicles around town that I should get it. I just did not know the full site as my legs still work fine.

I did not care who won until the General Zod clue. Okay, Kevin it is. Superman II is one of those movies I've seen in the double digits.

1/5 in the music for me with Ryan Lewis. I could not pull One Republic in time, heard of Jack White only, was thinking not Sugarland, but the other one for Lady Antebellum and no chance on the John Mayer. I guess there is a reason I put Mayer where I did in Vanya's game.

+1 for collecting on Edict of Nantes. There is at least a dozen hits in the archive. I would have to know it by now.

Erika from Middlebury played to finish in the middle. Mission accomplished.

The FJ! category was a groan and the clue was a shrug. Like the students I wrote Falstaff instantly since even I know he's in three plays. If the clue had asked for two of the plays I would have had TMWOW and a pick a king.
Ivoirians
Valued Contributor

Post by Ivoirians »

alietr wrote:I couldn't figure out the point of the crosswords story. 2,000 puzzles in 2 years is 2.74 a day. I average 2 a day, and I'll bet Joon averages more than 2.74 puzzles a day in his sleep.
Nice pick up on that. I was trying to say 2000 a year and got thrown off by the wording, forgot what number I had in my head. Definitely wasn't the most unique story anyway, but I've been sweating for hours about someone realizing I didn't even do more crosswords than Alex.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And so ends my streak. Didn't know Falstaff was in any play other than Merry Wives.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote:I couldn't figure out the point of the crosswords story. 2,000 puzzles in 2 years is 2.74 a day. I average 2 a day, and I'll bet Joon averages more than 2.74 puzzles a day in his sleep.
Alex said that he himself did two or three a day, so he's not too far behind Kevin over those two years.
OCSam
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I have to quibble with the very first clue: as part of last year's rebranding that included a new logo and a new shade of purple, Yahoo decreed that its name was no longer spelled with an exclamation point (i.e., that the exclamation point is solely a logo decoration).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

trainman wrote:I have to quibble with the very first clue: as part of last year's rebranding that included a new logo and a new shade of purple, Yahoo decreed that its name was no longer spelled with an exclamation point (i.e., that the exclamation point is solely a logo decoration).
They should have replaced it with a question mark.

Edit: Better, an interrobang.
Last edited by Lefty on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.