Friday, February 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6780, 2014-02-21

2014 College Championship final game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Terry O'Shea, a sophomore at Princeton University from Bridgewater, New Jersey (subtotal of $19,800)
Tucker Pope, a junior from Texas A&M University from Lubbock, Texas (subtotal of $14,800)
Kevin Shen, a junior from the University of California, Berkeley from Cupertino, California (subtotal of $8,765)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. D-day. Decision day. Whatever the contestants earn today will be added to these scores that you see in front of them to determine the $100,000 champion. Let's get rid of these figures now, take them down to zero. Good luck. Let's go to work. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NO COOKING REQUIRED (5/5)
GLOBAL STUDIES (4/5)
"H"OMONYMS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MONEY TALKS (3/5)
NOTABLE NAMES (5/5)
JOHNNY GILBERT PERFORMS TODAY'S HITS (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the performer more closely associated with the tune.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Terry: 11 R, 2 W
Kevin: 6 R, 0 W
Tucker: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kevin: $1,200
Tucker: $1,200
Terry: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Terry O'Shea, talk to me.

Terry: Um, first--

Alex: Tell me about life in the fast lane.

Terry: It's pretty boring, to be honest.

Alex: Okay. Who's been the one who has given you the most encouragement when they found out you were going to be a contestant on our program?

Terry: Right. Well, I haven't actually told many people, but I did tell my immediate family, and my brother was really excited for me, probably more excited than I was.

[Terry rubs her Princeton sweatshirt, resulting in loud thumps and scratching noises from her microphone.]

Alex: That's great.

Terry: And so he's been very encouraging, yes.

Alex: That's great. Don't play with your microphone.

Terry: Oh, sorry! [Laughs]

Alex: That was that little thump there. That was not her heartbeat. That was...

Terry: Yeah. I usually--

Alex: ...her microphone under her--

Terry: I usually have a necklace here, that's why.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Now we come to Tucker Pope. What about you?

Tucker: Uh, I actually really needed to get on Jeopardy! I have a six-week study abroad to Barcelona coming up this summer, and I needed to find a way to pay for it, and so...

[Laughter ]

Tucker: Uh, getting to this point has, uh, paid for it and then some.

Alex: All right, Kevin Shen, talk to me.

Kevin: Um, I want to give a shout-out to my mom and dad, my sister Cynthia. Thanks for the support. I want to give a shout-out to my friends, who probably chastised me for not getting Thoreau yesterday.

Alex: For not getting what?

Kevin: Not getting Thoreau.

Alex: Oh, yes. You said Emerson instead. But, you know, that's just one miss, and it happens. And you're still in the thick of it right now. Look at that. You got $1,200. Tucker's got $1,200. Terry's at minus $600. Tucker, you have control of the board right now. Make a selection as we go on.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tucker found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Kevin had $1,400, Tucker had $2,200, and Terry was at $1,800. Tucker wagered $1,200.

"H"OMONYMS $600: A big basket, or to impede
(Tucker: What is stall?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MONEY TALKS $400: The 2012 nickel:
The name of this building
(Tucker: What is the Jefferson Monument?)
(Alex: It does have to do with Jefferson, but it's [*].)

MONEY TALKS $600: A Canadian note:
"Dix ____ dollars"
(Alex: It's got it in English and French: Dix [*] dollars.)

GLOBAL STUDIES $1000: The Hermitage Museum in this city houses a collection of more than 3 million works of art & artifacts
(Tucker: What is Nashville?)
(Terry: What is Moscow?)
(Alex: Terry, you were in the right country, but the wrong city. It is [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Terry: $4,600
Kevin: $3,400
Tucker: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FICTIONAL COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES (1/5)
PUT IT THERE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHAT'S YOUR MAJOR? (3/5)
COUPLING ON TV (4/5) (Alex: You have to identify the show that features each romance we tell you about.)
"ONY" BALONEY (4/5)
FIGURING OUT THE UNIVERSE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Sarah: The Sanford Underground Research Facility In South Dakota is doing cutting-edge experiments almost a mile down.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Terry: 8 R, 0 W
Tucker: 7 R, 0 W
Kevin: 6 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kevin snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Kevin had $4,600, Tucker had $3,600, and Terry was at $5,000. Kevin wagered $2,000.

PUT IT THERE $1600: TARP programs:
This Cabinet department
(Kevin: Um... what is the Department of Defense?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kevin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Kevin had $7,000, Tucker had $13,200, and Terry was at $9,000. Kevin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $7,000.

FIGURING OUT THE UNIVERSE $2000: (Sarah gives the clue from the Sanford Underground Research Facility in South Dakota.) Doing physics experiments deep in the Earth protects the results from being contaminated by these rays, from the Greek for "universe"
(Kevin: What is gamma?)
(Alex: Okay, we have one category left, and little less--less than a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FICTIONAL COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $400: Bracton College in "That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis is home to the tomb of this magician

WHAT'S YOUR MAJOR? $400: Abner Doubleday, once thought to have invented baseball, became a major general during this war
(Kevin: What is World War I?)

FICTIONAL COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $800: Professor Chronotis teaches at St. Cedd's College in this author's "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency"

FICTIONAL COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1200: Camden College is the setting for "The Rules of Attraction" by this 3-named chronicler of amoral youth
(Alex: We're stumping you guys all of a sudden.)
(Terry: Yeah.)
(Alex: Terry, go again.)
(Terry: I'm sorry.)

WHAT'S YOUR MAJOR? $800: Practice twirling that baton & you can perform with the marching band as one of these

COUPLING ON TV $2000: On HBO, Thomas-John & Jessa Johansson

FICTIONAL COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $2000: A college called Salomon's House in Sir Francis Bacon's "New Atlantis" may have inspired the 1660 founding of this society

"ONY" BALONEY $2000: The leadership or dominance of one nation over others

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tucker: $13,200
Terry: $13,000
Kevin: $0

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BRITISH EMPIRE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Tucker: It's a big wager, but you might regret it if you don't cover Terry by wagering $12,801.
Terry: Risk between $401 (venusian) and $12,600 (martian).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1713's Treaty of Utrecht concluding the War of the Spanish Succession granted this small 2.3-square-mile area to Great Britain

FINAL SCORES
Terry: $13,000 + $5,000 = $18,000 = $37,800 cumulative (What is Gibraltar?) (Tournament champion)
Tucker: $13,200 - $13,200 = $0 = $14,800 cumulative (What is Hong Kong?) (1st runner-up)
(Alex: Kevin, uh, you had no money, so you couldn't participate in the Final today. But yesterday you earned $8,765. And looks like that's gonna get bumped up to a third place $25,000.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tucker: $14,400, 16 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Terry: $13,000, 19 R, 2 W
Kevin: $9,000, 12 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $36,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Terry: 20/58 = .345
Tucker: 16/59 = .271
Kevin: 12/60 = .200
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
JOHNNY GILBERT PERFORMS TODAY'S HITS $200: "You're far from plastic, talk about gettin' blasted, I hate these blurred lines"

JOHNNY GILBERT PERFORMS TODAY'S HITS $400: "If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it, ohohoh, ohohoh, ohohoh, ohohoh"

JOHNNY GILBERT PERFORMS TODAY'S HITS $600: "I got the eye of the tiger... dancing through the fire, 'cause I am a champion & you're gonna hear me roar"

JOHNNY GILBERT PERFORMS TODAY'S HITS $800: "Ducks say quack & fish go blub, & the seal goes ow ow ow, but there's one sound that no one knows... what does the fox say?"

JOHNNY GILBERT PERFORMS TODAY'S HITS $1000: "I'm beginning to feel like a rap god, rap god, all my people from the front to the back nod, back nod"
(Terry: Who is Kanye West?)
(Alex: I'm willing to make a prediction right now that by this time tomorrow, there will be hundreds of thousands of tweets out there about Johnny.)
[Audience applause]

GLOBAL STUDIES $400: This country's 250 million people spread out across a vast archipelago of more than 18,000 islands
(Alex: Yes, that's the country.)

NOTABLE NAMES $400: He's the much loved (& much hated) Lord Protector seen here

NO COOKING REQUIRED $400: ...for sashimi & fillets of this fish, though some prefer it from a can

NO COOKING REQUIRED $800: ...to make festive skewers of tomato, basil & fresh chunks of this cheese

COUPLING ON TV $800: Kurt Hummel & Blaine Anderson; sing out your response
(Terry: I'm not much of a singer.)

WHAT'S YOUR MAJOR? $2000: In music a major one of these is defined as having a half step between the 3rd & 4th & between the 7th & 8th degrees
(Terry: What is a key?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed before the Daily Double at clue 25 due to "the way we wrote that... clue".]

FIGURING OUT THE UNIVERSE $400: (Sarah gives the clue from the Sanford Underground Research Facility in South Dakota.) The Sanford Underground Research Facility located deep in the Black Hills conducts experiments to detect this type of matter that makes up over one-fourth of the universe

FIGURING OUT THE UNIVERSE $800: (Sarah gives the clue from the Sanford Underground Research Facility in South Dakota.) One of Sanford's most ambitious experiments Is an effort to tell why all things on the universe exist; the search is for rare radioactive decay, & this metal--atomic number 29--is being reformed to shield the equipment

FIGURING OUT THE UNIVERSE $1200: (Sarah gives the clue from the Sanford Underground Research Facility in South Dakota.) Despite being 4,850 feet deep, the Davis Campus is a modern lab with state-of-the-art clean rooms; a typical U.S. indoor cubic foot of air has millions of particles this size, 1/1,000th of a millimeter--but here, only 3

FIGURING OUT THE UNIVERSE $1600: (Sarah gives the clue from the Sanford Underground Research Facility in South Dakota.) The double-walled titanium cylinder acts as a thermos, so this gas, the "X" in the LUX experiment, stays liquid; scientists hope that some elusive dark matter will bump into an atom of it

CORRECT RESPONSES
hamper
Monticello
ten
St. Petersburg
Treasury
cosmic
Merlin the magician
the Civil War
Douglas Adams
Bret Easton Ellis
a majorette (or a drum major)
Girls
the Royal Society
hegemony
Gibraltar
Robin Thicke
Beyonce
Katy Perry
Ylvis
Eminem
Indonesia
Cromwell
tuna
mozzarella
Glee
scale
dark matter
copper
micrometer
xenon
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

Kevin:   8765     0  8765  8765
Tucker: 14800 13200 28000 41200
Terry:  19800 13000 32800 45800
Terry: Bet $8,401 to cover Tucker.
Tucker: Bet less than $3,600 to keep ahead of Terry if you're both wrong.
Kevin: (cannot wager)

Actual results: see below
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The British Empire

1713's Treaty of Utrecht concluding the War of Spanish Succession granted this small 2.3 square mile area to Great Britain.
Spoiler
What is Gibralter? Tucker said Hong Kong
Day 1 Scores
Kevin: $8,765
Tucker: $14,800
Terry: $19,800

Today's Scores
Kevin: $0 (Did not play FJ)
Terry: $13,000+$5,000=$18,000
Tucker: $13,200-$13,200=$0

Total Scores
Kevin: $8,765+0=$8,765...wins $25,000 for third place
Tucker: $14,800+$0=$14,800....wins $50,000 for second place
Terry: $19,800+$18,000=$37,800....wins $100,000 and really cool trophy and TOC berth for first place
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

No comment on wagers ...

Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Has anyone ever had $0 on the last day of a tourney before?

====

Johnny Gilbert was hilarious as usual. I got the first four with ease. Was leaning Eminem on $1000, but not knowing the song, I wasn't confident enough even after Kanye was negged.

I have never heard anyone touch their mic like that before. That hurt my ears.

Dix = $10 was my only miss in Money. I was thinking it'd be a translation, but "dix" didn't sound like any particular number to me, not even by way of the "look for a similar word in Spanish" method.

Yangtze was the only $200 I didn't get.

What was to lead to tuna over salmon on Food for $400? Also, I think putting fruit in a lettuce-based salad is a stupid, stupid idea. Almost as bad as putting chocolate on pretzels.

====

Fictional Colleges was entirely over my head, and apparently I wasn't alone. Surprised that they managed to actually get one.

Can't believe Civil War was a TS.

What was the tipoff for Canis over Ursa on Major for $1200?

I can never remember any of the moons. I'm still stuck on what size each of the planets is compared to the other.

Called the reversal on "major key".

Hegemony was my only miss in "ony".

====

Lach Trash: Monticello, hamper, Civil War, majorette.

====

British Empire? Yeah, I'm marking this a "no" before I even see the clue. There was a key word in the clue?
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Ok-I want to see The Final Wager after today's proceedings. Can these people do math (especially Terry)? Instaget FJ. Hong Kong?
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What was the tipoff for Canis over Ursa on Major for $1200?
Sirius = Dog Star

As to FJ. As Alex said, "Spanish". What part of Spain does England now own? (and for the record, Hong Kong = 426 sq mi ... slightly more than 2.3 ...).
Tacos

Post by Tacos »

I really don't understand why Terry made that FJ bet... she was in complete control and still would have lost if Tucker had gotten it right. She knows Kevin is completely out so is there any reason not to bet $8,401 to make sure you win? I thought she was the most consistent player throughout the tournament but most of her DJ and FJ wagers seemed completely illogical to me.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

First and second displayed a nice knowledge base without question. But it is really sad when the two best display absolutely zero common sense strategy and even less DD balls. (metaphorically speaking) But instead of learning strategy, they were all probably too busy tweeting and facebooking all their peeps that they were going to be on TV!

Who cares about $100k? According to CNBC today it's not like they're going to pay back their student loans anyway.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was the tipoff for Canis over Ursa on Major for $1200?
Sirius = Dog Star

As to FJ. As Alex said, "Spanish". What part of Spain does England now own? (and for the record, Hong Kong = 426 sq mi ... slightly more than 2.3 ...).
Uh, Gibralter?

I thought that fictional universities was one of the more obscure Jeopardy categories ever.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Terry played very well both days, although her FJ wagering was bad. But she won, so congrats to her.

Picked up Lach trash on "hamper", "Monticello", "ten", "Merlin", "St. Petersburg", "majorette"/"drum major", "Civil War"

Instaget FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Uh, Gibralter?
My question was in response to TPH asking about a keyword.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

esrever wrote:Terry played very well both days, although her FJ wagering was bad. But she won, so congrats to her.

Picked up Lach trash on "hamper", "Monticello", "ten", "Merlin", "St. Petersburg", "majorette"/"drum major", "Civil War"

Instaget FJ.
THE IVY LEAGUE CURSE IS NO MORE!

Terry O'Shea of Princeton is the first Ivy League representative to win the College Championship!
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

I KNEW THAT THAT GIBRALTER HAD NEVER BEEN IN MY KITCHEN. I'M THE CHAMPION!

In all seriousness, won from the 4th podium with tons of Lach Trash. The fictional colleges/universities were, like the contestants and TPH, "NHOI."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you read the Wikipedia article on the treaty mentioned in FJ, you will see this sentence.

The treaty marked the end of French ambitions of hegemony in Europe expressed in the wars of Louis XIV and preserved the European system based on the balance of power.[1]
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

GibraltAr
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:
Sorry, missed that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leander wrote:
econgator wrote:
Sorry, missed that.
And I apparently missed "Spanish" being in the clue.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

If you haven't read "The Long Dark Teatime of The Soul "you should.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.