Think Different 182 -- 2 Out of 5

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

esrever
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Think Different 182 -- 2 Out of 5

Post by esrever »

TD 182 -- 2 Out Of 5

Welcome to Think Different quiz number 182. This quiz has 20 questions and it has a new twist. You will choose 2 correct answers out of the 5 correct answers to each question. Enjoy!

Here are the rules:

1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD OR ANYWHERE ELSE ON JBOARD!

2. The deadline for submission is 12:00 noon Eastern Time on Monday, March 17, 2014.

3. The object is to provide the combination of two correct choices (out of the five correct responses) that you think will be the least popular for each question. Because "five things taken two at a time" results in ten distinct pairs, each question has ten possible answers (or pairs).

4. The order of the two choices within each answer does not matter. For example, if A and B are correct choices for a question, then answers of "A and B" and "B and A" will both be counted as correct.

5. Your score on a question equals the number of people -- including you -- who gave your answer.

6. If only one of the two choices in an answer is correct, then the entire answer will be scored as incorrect. There is no half-credit if only one of the choices is correct.

7. You may skip up to 5 questions by listing DROP instead of an answer. You will receive 3 points for each DROP you use. There is no bonus for using zero DROPs.

8. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2. If DROP is the most popular, then the sheep score will be based on the most popular answer other than DROP.

9. Lowest final score wins, with the total computed by adding your scores together.

10. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

11. Once you have submitted your answers, you will not be permitted to change them.

12. Tiebreakers will be in this order: number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

13. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

Good Luck!
Last edited by esrever on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Re: Think Different 182 -- 2 Out of 5

Post by esrever »

Here are the questions:

1. U.S. PRESIDENTS
Name two of the first five U.S. Presidents.

2. LETTERS OF THE ALPHABET
Name two of the letters of the alphabet that have the positions 11 through 15, inclusive.

3. ANCIENT PENTATHLON EVENTS
Name two of the five events in the ancient Olympic pentathlon.

4. CANADIAN PRIME MINISTERS
Name two of the five most-recent Canadian Prime Ministers. The current one is included in the five.

5. PLANETS
Name two of the five closest planets to the Sun.

6. LANGUAGES
Name two of the five languages in the world that have the greatest number of native speakers.

7. FAVORITE DOG BREEDS
Name two of the five most-popular dog breeds in the U.S. in 2013, according to the American Kennel Club.

8. LARGEST COUNTRIES BT AREA
Name two of the five largest countries in the world by area.

9. DAYS OF THE WEEK
Name two of the days of the week other than Saturday and Sunday.

10. HIGHEST MOUNTAINS
Name the highest mountain on each of two of these five continents: Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America. You do not have to specify the continents.

11. ODD NUMBERS
Name two odd whole numbers that are greater than 0 and less than 10.

12. MOST-POPULOUS COUNTRIES
Name two of the five countries in the world with the most residents.

13. MONTHS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
Name two of the first five months in the alphabetically-ordered list of months.

14. LARGEST U. S. STATES BY AREA
Name two of the five largest U. S. states by area.

15. CHEMICAL ELEMENTS
Name two of the five chemical elements that have an atomic number of 1 to 5, inclusive.

16. MOST-POPULOUS CANADIAN PROVINCES
Name two of the five Canadian provinces with the most residents.

17. SENSES
Name two of the five traditional senses.

18. LEAST-POPULOUS U. S. STATES
Name two of the five U.S. states with the fewest residents.

19. COINS
Name two of the current U.S. coins of less than one dollar in value.

20. MOST-POPULOUS CANADIAN CITIES
Name two of the five Canadian cities with the most residents, based on population within the city limits.
Last edited by esrever on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Clarifications:

Question 10. It has been pointed out to me that there is disagreement over which mountain is the highest in Europe, depending on how Europe's borders are defined. If you choose to give the highest mountain in Europe, I will accept either one of two mountains: the highest mountain in the larger land area that some people use as the definition of Europe, or the highest mountain in the smaller land area (a subset of the first) that others use as the definition of Europe. (Thanks to jjwaymee for pointing this out.)

For the entire quiz: The two choices you give for each undropped question must be two different choices, not two of the same thing. So "A and B" is acceptable, but not "A and A".
Last edited by esrever on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Entrants (46):
Alyssa
immaf
lieph82
ElendilPickle
Creed Bratton
Joy
mennoknight
nightreign
Rackme32
geolawyerman
gamawire
MarkBarrett
Kingrat47
Lilac
clprez
bpmod
Magna
jwatcher16
dnbguy
econgator
UniquePerspective
Kayanne
Leander
DCrawshawJr
dott888
BobF
Aardvark
Lumosityfan
jjwaymee
amorris525
Bamaman
nestegg
OrangeSAM
jeffwolfe
lillypie82
Paucle
RandyG
Woof
dhkendall
xxaaaxx
Vanya
Paulsaysthought
ihavejeoprosy
Woppy T
tjconn728
cheezguyty

Thanks to everyone who entered this game!
Last edited by esrever on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Do we drop an entire question or can we give one answer and drop the other?
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Bamaman wrote:Do we drop an entire question or can we give one answer and drop the other?
Since there is no "partial credit" for an answer with one selection right and one selection wrong, that would seem to be a distinction without a difference.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

What is the point of questions where pretty much everyone knows all of the correct answers? About half of these fall into that category.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goforthetie wrote:What is the point of questions where pretty much everyone knows all of the correct answers? About half of these fall into that category.
Strategy, my dear man, strategy.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

goforthetie wrote:What is the point of questions where pretty much everyone knows all of the correct answers? About half of these fall into that category.
It's actually a pretty clever variation on the game where the stakes are doubled by having you guess twice from easy choices. Makes singletons that much more harder to come by.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
BobF

Post by BobF »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
It's actually a pretty clever variation on the game where the stakes are doubled by having you guess twice from easy choices. Makes singletons that much more harder to come by.
Only 10 possible CORRECT answers per question.
I know squat about Canadian PMs, so that will be my drop if allowed. I think I know the current guy, but the only one I can name before that was probably PM in the 70's.

Holy crap! The guy I thought was current was actually in the most recent 5 (barely) and the other guy was only in the top 7.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
But I still don't see the "skill" or "strategy" in picking one of five known letters of the alphabet. Am I missing something? Seems more "Deal Or No Deal" than "Jeopardy!" to me...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
But I still don't see the "skill" or "strategy" in picking one of five known letters of the alphabet. Am I missing something? Seems more "Deal Or No Deal" than "Jeopardy!" to me...
IMHO, taking the guesswork out of the answer part, removing the possibility of wrong answers, makes it purely about the "Think Different" part of the game.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
TD questions generally have both a trivia component and a psychological component. These questions only have the latter. For instance, if the question was pick a whole number from 1-5 inclusive, obviously everyone knows all of the answers, but it's not entirely random guesswork to try to pick what you think others will be least likely to pick.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

dhkendall wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
IMHO, taking the guesswork out of the answer part, removing the possibility of wrong answers, makes it purely about the "Think Different" part of the game.
So there is no strategy, then? Seems more like "guess different" than "think different" to me. I just don't see the "fun" in that, personally. Different strokes, I guess... Deal Or No Deal was pretty popular all around the world, I suppose.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Turd Ferguson wrote: But I still don't see the "skill" or "strategy" in picking one of five known letters of the alphabet. Am I missing something? Seems more "Deal Or No Deal" than "Jeopardy!" to me...
There is a bit of luck involved in seeing if you can select a combination that the fewest people choose.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This should be fun!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

BobF wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Only 10 possible CORRECT answers per question.
I know squat about Canadian PMs, so that will be my drop if allowed. I think I know the current guy, but the only one I can name before that was probably PM in the 70's.

Holy crap! The guy I thought was current was actually in the most recent 5 (barely) and the other guy was only in the top 7.
You can drop up to 5 questions.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

If we get enough players, it may actually become strategic to drop questions even if you know a correct response, if you assume you cannot predict which repsonses are least likely to be chosen.
BobF

Post by BobF »

BigDaddyJ wrote:If we get enough players, it may actually become strategic to drop questions even if you know a correct response, if you assume you cannot predict which repsonses are least likely to be chosen.
I had the same thought - if over 30 people get into this, the drops will have to be done strategically. I might suggest a sliding scale value for drops, like (# of entrants) / 10
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote: But I still don't see the "skill" or "strategy" in picking one of five known letters of the alphabet. Am I missing something? Seems more "Deal Or No Deal" than "Jeopardy!" to me...
There is a bit of luck involved in seeing if you can select a combination that the fewest people choose.
This is exactly the point - such questions are all luck, zero skill or strategy.