Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Howdy, all. In case it's not obvious from my handle, I'm Matthew. I'm an attorney in Dallas. I've been on several shows in the past (Win Ben Stein's Money, Whammy!, WWTBAM, Million Second Quiz) and I have been in the "pass by the skin of my teeth" range on the J! test for the past several years, but I've recently decided to get serious and shore up my myriad weaknesses. I appreciate any and all help on my quest to become the second-greatest Mormon J! player of all time.
Believe in yourself, go for the best Mormon J! player! After all, even Ken Jennings didn't think he'd win 75 games going in, or even 7.5 games!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Daboa
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Daboa »

Hi! I'm Daboa and Jeopardy has been on my TV since I was a kid and my dad had it on every day. I haven't watched a lot lately, but I've always liked it. I found this board and thought it was cool that you play along and archive the questions.

I have my bachelor's in mechanical engineering, swing dance in my free time, and develop android apps. In fact, I've been curious about making the J! archive available in an app.

Thanks for welcoming me!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I've been lurking on here for a while before becoming more active with my posts. I'm 22 and from Canada.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Daboa wrote:Hi! I'm Daboa and Jeopardy has been on my TV since I was a kid and my dad had it on every day. I haven't watched a lot lately, but I've always liked it. I found this board and thought it was cool that you play along and archive the questions.

I have my bachelor's in mechanical engineering, swing dance in my free time, and develop android apps. In fact, I've been curious about making the J! archive available in an app.

Thanks for welcoming me!
JayK33 wrote:I've been lurking on here for a while before becoming more active with my posts. I'm 22 and from Canada.
Welcome!
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

I've been away for so long that it is appropriate that I post about myself here.

My name is Raghuveer, am originally from India and now live in Washington, D.C. I am a one-and-done contestant in 2010. You can read the summary of my experience here (http://triviabug.com/jeopardy/) and a longer version here (http://triviabug.com/jeopardy/my-jeopardy-story/). I was also an archivist for a couple of years.

Am sure some long-term boardies recognize me and I will start with an apology to them (especially Andy) for staying away. Saw an email about the DC group in my in-box last evening and visited the board just to check out all of you and was upset about Paucle with whom I exchanged a few PMs when I used to be active here (I attended a memorial service of a dear colleague just last evening and this was a double whammy).

Sometime in 2011, I got involved with a South Indian political party called Loksatta that was fighting corruption and soon took over the (sole) elected representative's website and handled complaints while coordinating with people back home (curious minds can browse the site - http://kukatpallynow.com/). I also managed the finances of the overseas supporters group. Because of the time difference with India and a lack of committed volunteers, it became more than a full-time job and for more than three years, I did not do much else other than my day job and other mundane family tasks. Though I have the minor satisfaction of helping a few hundred people get their essential services without paying bribes and the like, because of several reasons including a lack of space for a new political party, an acrimonious state split, and severe organizational shortcomings, we were routed in the 2014 elections. After expending significant resources of all kinds, I finally left in 2014 after realizing I wasn't helping anyone. So that is why you didn't see me as much.

I tried to ease back into Jeopardy! late last year but realized it was like meeting a girl whom you used to obsess over only to realize both of you have moved on :D.

I enjoyed the World Quizzing Championships last year and plan to be there at the Maryland venue this year as well and hope to see some of you there (met Megan and Sven at the venue in 2014 and really enjoyed going over the clues with Sven).
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TriviaBug wrote:I've been away for so long that it is appropriate that I post about myself here.

My name is Raghuveer, am originally from India and now live in Washington, D.C. I am a one-and-done contestant in 2010. You can read the summary of my experience here (http://triviabug.com/jeopardy/) and a longer version here (http://triviabug.com/jeopardy/my-jeopardy-story/). I was also an archivist for a couple of years.

Am sure some long-term boardies recognize me and I will start with an apology to them (especially Andy) for staying away. Saw an email about the DC group in my in-box last evening and visited the board just to check out all of you and was upset about Paucle with whom I exchanged a few PMs when I used to be active here (I attended a memorial service of a dear colleague just last evening and this was a double whammy).

Sometime in 2011, I got involved with a South Indian political party called Loksatta that was fighting corruption and soon took over the (sole) elected representative's website and handled complaints while coordinating with people back home (curious minds can browse the site - http://kukatpallynow.com/). I also managed the finances of the overseas supporters group. Because of the time difference with India and a lack of committed volunteers, it became more than a full-time job and for more than three years, I did not do much else other than my day job and other mundane family tasks. Though I have the minor satisfaction of helping a few hundred people get their essential services without paying bribes and the like, because of several reasons including a lack of space for a new political party, an acrimonious state split, and severe organizational shortcomings, we were routed in the 2014 elections. After expending significant resources of all kinds, I finally left in 2014 after realizing I wasn't helping anyone. So that is why you didn't see me as much.

I tried to ease back into Jeopardy! late last year but realized it was like meeting a girl whom you used to obsess over only to realize both of you have moved on :D.

I enjoyed the World Quizzing Championships last year and plan to be there at the Maryland venue this year as well and hope to see some of you there (met Megan and Sven at the venue in 2014 and really enjoyed going over the clues with Sven).
Nice to see you back Raghuveer, I do remember you! Thanks for updating us on what you've been up to!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

TriviaBug wrote:I've been away for so long that it is appropriate that I post about myself here.

I found the old Sony message board and started lurking shortly before your appearance on the show, so I remember you and your episode very well. You played great, and I remember being inspired by your work ethic and that you were able to raise your game to such a high level after having first come to the states in your 20s. Thanks for that and sorry to hear that you didn't get the results you were hoping for with Loksatta.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Other people's lives are so much more interesting than mine. Welcome (back), Raghuveer!
Sprinkles are for winners.
SouJeo
Contributor

Post by SouJeo »

Hi I'm new here and thanks to my husband I have grown interest and respect for Jeopardy and its contestants. I have seen the passion and love my husband had for Jeopardy and how he would go over old episodes whatever he can get his hands on from Youtube and try to answer the questions.

I have also seen his go all over the internet looking for trivia on his phone and anywhere on the go.

@Daboa: to address your thought, that's when I too thought it would be neat to have J-Archive as a Flashcard app. I was also surprised that there is none till now.
I published a first flash card format app with J-Archive questions to the Android and Amazon App Store. Check it out here
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lash&hl=en
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sowmya-Mulukutla- ... ds=J+flash
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Although I've been a member of this board since its inception (and had a presence on the old Sony board before that), I don't think I've ever formally introduced myself in this thread (although I'm not going to wade through all 54 pages of it just to be certain). :D

My occupation, as I put on my application prior to my most recent audition (which, by the way, took place this past weekend in Washington, DC) is "attorney and worldwide karaoke singer." I'm a commercial litigator who practices at a boutique private law firm in Manhattan, and also lives in Manhattan. Among my biggest passions are travel and karaoke, and I've done karaoke in 38 countries plus Easter Island. I blog about my World Karaoke Tour at "H-Bomb's Worldwide Karaoke" (http://hbombkaraoke.com). I also tweet at https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide.

My screen-name derives from my long-time sobriquet of "H-Bomb." That nickname originated as follows: during my first semester of law school, on a Thursday night, I went out to a karaoke bar in D.C. The KJ (karaoke jockey, the guy who runs the show) didn't care for my singing. Although my actual name is Harvey, each time it was my turn to sing he would call me up as H-Bomb. He intended it as an insult; but I quickly saw the possibilities inherent in taking on the name of a weapon of mass-destruction, and I embraced the moniker. I've been singing as the H-Bomb ever since; and eventually that nickname came to apply to me in my life generally. The "1947" that follows "hbomb" in my screen name is a series of random numbers that I chose (or was assigned to me) to append to my username when signing up long ago for a "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" message board, due to the fact that the username "hbomb" was already taken.

I'm excited to be back in the contestant pool. And I want to thank SouJeo for creating her app, which I have already downloaded.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Droidysseus
Contributor

Post by Droidysseus »

My mom would be displeased at my poor manners in not introducing myself.

My name's Anthony, I'm a mechanical designer in Houston, TX by way of PA Dutch Country. I have a 5-year old son and a soon to be 3-year old daughter. As of Saturday, I'm in the active contestant pool after what I feel was a successful audition in Chicago.
kenwilliams

Post by kenwilliams »

Congratulations Anthony and H-Bomb for making it to the contestant pool! I am new to this forum as well - an avid Jeopardy fan, from California.

@SouJeo - I agree with Anthony -- many thanks for your J! Flash app. It is AWESOME! This is the only serious app for Jeopardy-preppers that I could find. Rest apps that I found are just for playing games etc. I didn't find any prep or flash cards apps specifically for Jeopardy -- except of course for yours. J-Archive is great if you are on your laptop, but these days everyone's using their smartphones all the time. J! Flash was a much needed app. And thanks for such a huge number of Jeopardy Question-Answers-Categories!

Can you post a new topic on jboard.tv and mention this app? Not sure how many Jeopardy fans know about it -- I am sure they will love to have it on their smartphones too!!

Thanks again.
SouJeo
Contributor

Post by SouJeo »

Thanks kenwilliams for the kind words. Appreciate the feedback. However I am not sure if I have the permission to create a new topic. Any suggestions on which topic I can post so that everyone can benefit?

Congratulations Anthony and H-Bomb for making it to the contestant pool!

Anthony - thanks for giving the app a spin. Don't forget to give some feedback, would really appreciate it!

All the very best!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

SouJeo wrote: Congratulations Anthony and H-Bomb for making it to the contestant pool!

Anthony - thanks for giving the app a spin. Don't forget to give some feedback, would really appreciate it!

All the very best!
It was I, not Anthony, who mentioned having downloaded your app. I tried it out for a few minutes and it seemed fun. I'll be sure to give you feedback when I've had a chance to use it more extensively.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
SouJeo
Contributor

Post by SouJeo »

Sorry hbomb1947, got mixed up. All the very best for your trials and thanks for trying the app.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

SouJeo wrote:Sorry hbomb1947, got mixed up. All the very best for your trials and thanks for trying the app.
And now, you can create a thread should you so desire.
SouJeo
Contributor

Post by SouJeo »

Thanks alietr! I will create a new thread.
kenwilliams

Post by kenwilliams »

Awesome. Thank you SouJeo. I will let my other Jeopardy-friends-fans know about the J! Flash app as well.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

Hello All,

My name is Randy, and i am a Jeopardy! hopeful. I've been watching J! as long as i can remember and have always dreamed to be on there. I have played on my scholastic bowl teams in middle and high school. I've been slacking off the past few years but I've finally committed since the past few months to get on and I am ready to do whatever it takes to get on the show. I have a strong Academic background but I know i need to work on building general knowledge, especially in the Literature, Art/Composers, and Wordplay categories. I am so humbled to finally meet so many of you former champions and contestants and I want to have a run just like you guys. Its the experience of putting your mind to the test with some of the smartest people in the world that i want more than anything! Its time to start the process, and I am looking forward to talking and becoming a part of this community, thanks!
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Hello all, just started posting here and noticed this thread, so I'd figure I'd get all formal and introduce myself.

Obviously big into trivia, with sports being my forte (My weaknesses: Pretty much anything in the fine arts). My work schedule has rarely allowed me to watch Jeopardy live, and I never thought to TIVO it until recently. The addition of Sports Jeopardy has given me a second (more likely?) avenue into getting on to a game show. It's with SJ where my efforts primarily reside, and with good reason, seeing I was in sports media before moving into casino marketing (I'm a casino host, hence, my moniker here).

I claim Western New York and Salt Lake City as home. I live in Twin Falls, Idaho, but work in Nevada. I've lived in SoCal, Arkansas and Kansas, and my wife's family is from Oklahoma, where I've spent a lot of time. Yeah, I've been a map/road geek since I was 6.

Anyway, I've learned quite a bit in my short time here and look forward to conversing with all of you. If someone could lead me to a board glossary (some acronyms/abbreviations sometimes leave me guessing), it would really help me out. Thanks!