TD 187 - Seinfeld

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 187 - Seinfeld

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Bumping for visibility.

Come on down and take a stab. Plenty of singletons and rich answers remain.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Another day is in the books. Still plenty of room for singletons and other good stuff.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
mennoknight wrote:This is good stuff. I'd love an actual Seinfeld one too...that's one of my dream Jeopardy categories.
Im not sure how a Seinfeld TD would work without requiring more than rudimentary knowledge about the show. Based on how this one goes, I may consider doing a future TD about questions related to sitcoms.
A while back there was a TD entirely on the show Lost. I don't remember how many people played but it was fun.
ihavejeoprosy

Change to wrong answer scoring

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

So if you check the rules, you will see that I changed the scoring for wrong answers from twice the sheep score to sheep score plus five. This encourages guessing and wrong answers don't hurt as much. Thanks to Magna for the pointer.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Friday afternoon bump. About 48 hours and change remaining to get your entry in. Plenty of singletons remain.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Good, because I know I have at least one wrong answer.
Teems with quiet fun.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Change to wrong answer scoring

Post by CoachP »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:So if you check the rules, you will see that I changed the scoring for wrong answers from twice the sheep score to sheep score plus five. This encourages guessing and wrong answers don't hurt as much. Thanks to Magna for the pointer.
That's a relief-thanks! And thanks to Magna as well!
ihavejeoprosy

Re: Change to wrong answer scoring

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

CoachP wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:So if you check the rules, you will see that I changed the scoring for wrong answers from twice the sheep score to sheep score plus five. This encourages guessing and wrong answers don't hurt as much. Thanks to Magna for the pointer.
That's a relief-thanks! And thanks to Magna as well!
It also narrows the spread and doesn't allow a single bad answer to torpedo the game.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woppy T wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
mennoknight wrote:This is good stuff. I'd love an actual Seinfeld one too...that's one of my dream Jeopardy categories.
Im not sure how a Seinfeld TD would work without requiring more than rudimentary knowledge about the show. Based on how this one goes, I may consider doing a future TD about questions related to sitcoms.
A while back there was a TD entirely on the show Lost. I don't remember how many people played but it was fun.
Now that would be fun!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Alright, just a little more than 24 hours remain. Get your entries in. Let's see if we can go over 40.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Less than 12 hours till close. Get those entries in before the deadline.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Less than 12 hours till close. Get those entries in before the deadline.
Well past the deadline, I've just submitted and hope you haven't started scoring yet. This is the first TD I've entered since [checks files] RandyG's TD 148.
In and out of the pool four times
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

reddpen wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Less than 12 hours till close. Get those entries in before the deadline.
Well past the deadline, I've just submitted and hope you haven't started scoring yet. This is the first TD I've entered since [checks files] RandyG's TD 148.
Eh, why not? I'm not going to start calculating till at least this evening. I'll put in your entry later.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

So ive been a little busy this week. I'll try to post a couple of questions tonight and go from there.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Here we go. Starting with question 1. This is my first time tabulating a TD so please let me know if i've missed anything or gotten anything wrong. Also, I might add my commentary from time to time.

1. Seinfeld is famous for introducing a number of words and phrases from the show into the lexicon, collectively known as Seinfeldisms. Given the definition of 10 Seinfeldisms, pick one and tell me the Seinfeldism that is being defined. Important: Specify the letter you choose with your answer

Sheep - 12
Adjective for someone who has enough admirable qualities to merit use of a rare contraception method - Spongeworthy

soxfan99, Bamaman, Mathew5000, nserven, dot888, Milpool, Magna, debramc, econgator, goforthetie, coolcah36, Peggles

i. Someone with little regard for personal space during conversations - close talker

immaf, Vermonter, Paulsaysthought, JeopardyMom, chalupabatman786

f. A person who gives something given to them to someone else - regifter
MarkBarrett, geolawyerman, mitchparov, Woppy T

d. Alliterative interjection used to gloss over details in a story or used in place of narrating events - yadda yadda yadda
Creed Bratton, sarah0114, CoachP, clprez

c. A non-denominational, non commercial celebration held in December conceived by Frank Costanza , George’s Dad - festivus
gamawire, lieph82, UniquePerspective, jeffwolfe

b. A Latvian orthodox term for someone with an irresistible, animal allure - kevorka
Vanya, mennoknight, Leander, reddpen

j. A situation that arises when different parts of a persons life meet or come together - worlds collide
Turd Ferguson, tjconn728, jjwaymee

g. Someone at a social gathering who introduces their half eaten food into the communal relish, sauce or accompaniment - double dipper
dnbguy, ElendilPickle

1 - SINGLETON
a. Someone bigoted against people holding a DDS or DMD degree - Anti-Dentite
amorris525

Unused answers: e. Quality possessed by a non Jewish woman that makes her attractive to Jewish men - shiksappeal

Commentary: Quite a nice range of answers with only one unused response. The sheep definitely surprised me. I thought it would be double dipper or yadda, yadda, yadda.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

2. "Hey George, the ocean called; they're running out of shrimp." (See bonus question 2) George was famously called out for eating too much shrimp in the classic episode, “The comeback.” In light of that call out, name one of the top 10 most consumed seafood species in the US. (Data was compiled in 2012)

Salmon aka sheepfish - 16
No. 3 on the list

dnbguy
Vanya
ElendilPickle
sarah0114
CoachP
Bamaman
mennoknight
clprez
Mathew5000
mitchparov
lieph82
Milpool
Paulsaysthought
econgator
amorris525
Peggles
SHEEP: MarkBarrett

Clams - 4
No. 10 on the list

immaf
Leander
UniquePerspective
tjconn728

Tuna - 3
No. 2 on the list
geolawyerman
nserven
Woppy T

Catfish - 3
No. 9 on the list

Creed Bratton
goforthetie
chalupabatman786

Crab - 3
No. 7 on the list

Turd Ferguson
dot888
debramc

Shrimp - 3
No. 1 on the list

Vermonter
gamawire
jjwaymee

Singleton - Cod
No. 8 on the list
soxfan99

Singleton - Pangassius / Swai
Magna (The response was Swai, but research shows that Swai is actually a type of Pangassius, whatever that is)

Singleton - Pollock
reddpen

Wrong answers - 21 (16+5)
JeopardyMom - Flounder
jeffwolfe - Lobster
coolcah36 - Lobster

Sorry guys. As delicious as those sound, they didn't make the cut.

Unused answers: Tilapia - No. 4 on the list

Commentary: A narrower spread here but not exactly a surprising sheep. I had never heard of a pangassius before.
Will post more questions and tallied scores later.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Singleton - Pangassius / Swai
Magna (The response was Swai, but research shows that Swai is actually a type of Pangassius, whatever that is)

Commentary: ... I had never heard of a pangassius before.
I only happened to know this because I took a Sporcle quiz about a month ago based on this same data. I missed swai and didn't know what it was even after the answers were revealed, so I looked it up. Turns out it's a Southeast Asian freshwater catfish also known as the iridescent shark, and that although endangered in the wild, it's widely cultivated both for its meat and as an aquarium pet. Crazy!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Magna wrote: I only happened to know this because I took a Sporcle quiz about a month ago based on this same data. I missed swai and didn't know what it was even after the answers were revealed, so I looked it up. Turns out it's a Southeast Asian freshwater catfish also known as the iridescent shark, and that although endangered in the wild, it's widely cultivated both for its meat and as an aquarium pet. Crazy!
Let's just the research also led me to some pretty good reason to not eat Swai. The cultivation farms can be pretty grizzly.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:The cultivation farms can be pretty grizzly.
Bears do love their fish!
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Commentary: Quite a nice range of answers with only one unused response. The sheep definitely surprised me. I thought it would be double dipper or yadda, yadda, yadda.
I did too! I was going to go with yyy, then switched to dd, then switched again to spongeworthy because I thought it was more obscure. Apparently lots of others had a similar thought!