Tuesday, April 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya »

debramc wrote: But Hanseatic league was an instaget. :mrgreen:
Do they have the DH?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

El Jefe wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: If I miss Tuesday's game, I have two choices. I can be a day behind for the rest of the week and join every JBoard conversation a day late. Or I can watch Wednesday's game on Wednesday, accepting the fact that I will thereby learn who won Tuesday's game. Then I can watch Tuesday's game on Saturday.
What, Nurse Ratched doesn't let you watch more than one episode a day? People's Court is on, or the ball game? I'm not sure what all the rules are.
That's why it's a good idea to exercise caution.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Onairb wrote: My 'Yell at the TV' moment was when Donna had Nixon's initials handed to her on a plate on the very next clue after she erroneously gave them following Eisenhower's initials. 'You JUST SAID THEM! JEEEEZUSSSSS!'
:x
Julia looked a bit sheepish on the rebound, as if she was thinking about how mortified Donna was going to feel.
Woof

Post by Woof »

harrumph wrote:The RBH clue struck me as hard - this wasn't a relatively recent president that you could quickly scan for, as in the other clues in the category. Identifying RBH, then identifying the president that followed, and then identifying that president's middle initial, when that president is relatively obscure to begin with - that's a clue for Brad Rutter in a high level tournament.
I didn't find it terribly difficult. It went like this: "What President had a surname starting with H?" Hayes, Hoover, that's it. RB leads me to Hayes. Who followed? Garfield (briefly), so James A Garfield is JAG. That all happened before Alex gave the answer. Sure, I would have rung in late in the proceedings, unless I employed a KJ-like strategy. A TOC-level version would have required me to come up with Garfield's middle name :o
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

opusthepenguin wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: If I miss Tuesday's game, I have two choices. I can be a day behind for the rest of the week and join every JBoard conversation a day late. Or I can watch Wednesday's game on Wednesday, accepting the fact that I will thereby learn who won Tuesday's game. Then I can watch Tuesday's game on Saturday.
What, Nurse Ratched doesn't let you watch more than one episode a day? People's Court is on, or the ball game? I'm not sure what all the rules are.
That's why it's a good idea to exercise caution.
I know, right? Just because it's the first game of the World Series doesn't mean it pays to get everybody's schedule all stirred up.

For the record, I neither feel the burning need to discuss another day's game in any particular game thread (mostly because it's inaccurate) nor do I feel the Rules of Spoilerdom should be like the Rules of Fight Club.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:
harrumph wrote:The RBH clue struck me as hard - this wasn't a relatively recent president that you could quickly scan for, as in the other clues in the category. Identifying RBH, then identifying the president that followed, and then identifying that president's middle initial, when that president is relatively obscure to begin with - that's a clue for Brad Rutter in a high level tournament.
I didn't find it terribly difficult. It went like this: "What President had a surname starting with H?" Hayes, Hoover, that's it.
There's also Harrison (both of them) and Harding.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I once had a job that required to me to travel out of town each week. My work hours varied as well, so even if I was in the same town, I might not be able to see the show every day. Plus, it wasn't always easy finding what channel it was on and the hotels usually didn't have a DVR in the room. So I might miss Monday, but catch the rest of the week and would see the ones I missed when I got home. But I would still join in the game threads of the ones I watched.

So there are cases when it isn't a matter of time when someone misses a show, sometimes it is impossible to see them in order.

While I did get Monday right, had I just seen the name of the group in this thread, I could not have given myself credit for getting it by assuming I would have gotten it by seeing the clue.
Woof

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote:
Woof wrote:
I didn't find it terribly difficult. It went like this: "What President had a surname starting with H?" Hayes, Hoover, that's it.
There's also Harrison (both of them) and Harding.
You're absolutely right. My thought process was obviously cut short when I got the RB part. Take that, Watson!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Even a chicken plays better baseball than the Cubs (the sound had been lost):

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

If only I'd read this before seeing the clue, I might have had some chance at getting this FJ. But still maybe not.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Vanya wrote:
debramc wrote: But Hanseatic league was an instaget. :mrgreen:
Do they have the DH?
Yes, the Designated Hans.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Oh, I forgot about this - am I the only one who didn't realize chalk does not necessarily refer to calcium carbonate? I mean I knew chalk could contain traces of magnesium among other things, but I never realized what the gymnasts use was primarily magnesium. (Actually I responded rosin, and knew the next choice must be chalk but was still befuddled by this.)