Tuesday, June 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6857, 2014-06-10

CONTESTANTS
Jason Raffile, a restaurant manager originally from Meriden, Connecticut
Cindy Summers, a pharmacist from Clarksville, Tennessee
Molly Lalonde, a pediatric nurse practitioner student from Nashville, Tennessee (whose 3-day cash winnings total $38,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Sometimes it pays to be lucky if you wanna become a Jeopardy! champion. Molly, our returning champion now, has missed a couple of Final Jeopardy!s, and yet, because she wagered intelligently and she played the game very well in the first two rounds, she is a 3-day champion. And today, defends against Cindy--with a little heart over the "I", I love that--and Jason. Nice to have you here. Good luck, players. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories for today. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEVADA (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
1990s HITMAKERS (5/5)
A BITE IN BRITAIN (5/5)
STAMPS (3/5)
THE "OWL" (5/5)
THE PUSSYCAT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Molly: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Cindy: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jason: 8 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cindy found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Molly had $1,200, Cindy had $1,200, and Jason was at $1,200. Cindy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

NEVADA $800: In the 1960s he bought 6 Nevada hotels, a TV station & more than 1,000 mining claims
(Cindy: Who is Wynn?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Molly: $1,400
Cindy: $1,000
Jason: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jason Raffile is a restaurant manager from Connecticut who is also a competitive grilled cheese sandwich maker.

Jason: That is correct, sir. I won an award--a judges award--for my dessert grilled cheese.

Alex: Holy smokes. I didn't know they had competitions for grilled cheese makers.

Jason: You know, in L.A., there's competitions for pretty much everything, Alex.

Alex: Really?

Jason: So you find 'em, yeah.

Alex: Okay, what's the secret to a good grilled cheese sandwich?

Jason: Love.

Alex: Love.

[Laughter]

Alex: I thought you were gonna say tomatoes or something like--

Jason: Tomatoes help, but love.

Alex: O-okay.

Alex: Cindy Summers is a pharmacist--medication safety pharmacist at Fort Campbell, Kentucky?

Cindy: At Fort Campbell, Kentucky. It sits right on the Tennessee-Kentucky border. We serve the 101st Airborne and the 160th S.O.A.R., which are a special operations regiment and they are Americans--truly Americans first.

[Applause]

Alex: Now you serve--good for you.

Cindy: Yes.

Alex: You guys fill over a million prescriptions a year?

Cindy: A million prescriptions a year.

Alex: Oh, boy. Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Molly Lalonde, pediatric nurse practitioner student who will be graduating soon. Wants to work with kids. Why?

Molly: Mm-hmm. They're cute, uh, they get better faster, and doing exams with them is just a lot more fun than with--with grown-ups.

Alex: Well, okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEVADA $200: On Halloween 2014 Nevada celebrates this big anniversary of statehood
(Jason: What is the centennial?)
(Molly: What is the bicentennial?)

STAMPS $800: In 1973 this small Himalayan kingdom near Nepal issued stamps that could be played on a phonograph

STAMPS $1000: A 1918 error produced the valuable "Inverted" this; a 2013 stamp has the plane upside down on purpose
(Jason: What is airplane?)
(Alex: No, you have to be more specific than that.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Molly: $6,600
Cindy: $3,600
Jason: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE BONAPARTES (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV & MOVIE SCHOOLS (3/5)
SWITCH THE FIRST & LAST LETTERS (4/5)
POETIC WOMEN (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AFRICAN COUNTRIES BY CAPITAL (3/5)
EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Molly: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jason: 7 R, 5 W
Cindy: 1 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 11
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $16,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Molly snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Molly had $11,800, Cindy had $2,800, and Jason was at $1,000. Molly wagered $2,000.

POETIC WOMEN $1200: She spent the last 14 years of her life with her husband at Casa Guidi in Italy
(Molly: Who is Shelley?)
(Alex: No, who is [*]? She went there for her health.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Molly who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Molly had $15,400, Cindy was in the red with -$800, and Jason was at $200. Molly wagered $2,000.

THE BONAPARTES $2000: Napoleon's brother-in-law Charles LeClerc died in 1802 in this New World Country while trying to put down a revolt

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew walks outside at the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, CA.) At the Getty Center you can buy a cube of this rock, a variety of limestone that's the same Italian material on the Getty's facades & walkways
(Cindy: What is marble?)

TV & MOVIE SCHOOLS $400: The emphasis is on spell-ing for Harry Potter & the gang at Hogwarts school of these 2 things
(Jason: What is wizarding and witchcraft?)
[Initially accepted as correct, reversed before Daily Double at clue 13]

TV & MOVIE SCHOOLS $1600: The historically black school of Hillman College was at the center of this spinoff sitcom
(Jason: What is Diff'rent Strokes?)

POETIC WOMEN $1600: This American's earliest poem, "Awake ye muses nine, sing me a strain divine", dates to Valentine week 1850

POETIC WOMEN $2000: Born Lucila Godoy Alcayaga in Vicuna, Chile, she was the first Latin American woman to win a Nobel Prize in literature
(Cindy: Who is Allende?)

SWITCH THE FIRST & LAST LETTERS $1200: ...of a guided expedition & you get this thorough defeat

THE BONAPARTES $800: In 1808 Joseph Bonaparte was proclaimed king of this country, but after 5 years, the Bourbon dynasty was restored
(Jason: What is France?)

AFRICAN COUNTRIES BY CAPITAL $1600: Kampala

AFRICAN COUNTRIES BY CAPITAL $2000: Abuja

THE BONAPARTES $1200: French emperor from 1852 to 1870, he wrote a book saying government should end poverty
(Jason: Who is Maximilian?)

THE BONAPARTES $1600: Elisa Bonaparte, one of Napoleon's sisters, was grand Duchess of this province & helped beautify Florence
(Cindy: What is Milan?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Molly: $17,400 (lock game)
Jason: $200
Cindy: -$800

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: That takes you up to $17,400, and it takes us to Final Jeopardy! However, Cindy at -$800 will not be playing in Final Jeopardy! It will be Jason and Molly only dealing with this category--SCIENTISTS. Make your wagers, think about it, and we'll come back to reveal the clue.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Molly: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $16,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jason: You've no hope of catching up... unless Molly does something stupid. So risk as much as $199; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
As a humorous tribute, an astronomical term equivalent to at least 4 billion has been named for him

FINAL SCORES
Jason: $200 - $200 = $0 (Who is Hawking) (2nd place)
Molly: $17,400 - $2,600 = $14,800 (Who is Dalton?) (38501-day champion: $14,800)
(Alex: [*]--"billions and billions of stars" in the universe.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Molly: $19,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Cindy: $400, 9 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Jason: $200, 15 R, 9 W
Combined Coryat: $20,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Molly: 20/60 = .333
Jason: 15/58 = .259
Cindy: 9/59 = .153
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NEVADA $1000: This elite USAF flying team took up residence at Nevada's Nellis Air Force Base in 1956
(Jason: Who are the Blue Angels?)
(Alex: [*], Air Force, not Navy.)

THE PUSSYCAT $200: Sealpoints are the best-known variety of this breed, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera

THE PUSSYCAT $600: This breed traces its ancestry back to 1975 with a kitten named Epidermis; at least she had a nose
(Cindy: What is a Manx?)

STAMPS $600: In 1992 America voted on which portrait of this rock icon to use on a new stamp; the watercolor by Mark Stutzman won
(Jason: Who is Jimi Hendrix?)

EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew comes to us from the gift shop on the USS Iowa in San Pedro, CA.) If you know what type of vessel the USS Iowa is, it makes sense that its gift shop sells a fun on the run version of this board game

EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us a mouse pad at the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA.) The Norman Rockwell Museum gift shop sells a mouse pad of Rockwell's image of a rookie in the Red Sox locker room; this Hall-of-Famer stands at the back

EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew holds up a flag at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia, PA.) You might want to commemmorate your trip to the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia with a "Don't Give Up the Ship" flag featuring the immprtal words of Captain James Lawrence during this war

EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows us a figurine at the Parthenon in Nashville, TN.) Available at the gift shop of Nashville's Parthenon is a 9" replica of the 42' statue of this warrior goddess

AFRICAN COUNTRIES BY CAPITAL $800: Addis Ababa
(Jason: What is Somalia?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Howard Hughes
its 150th (sesquicentennial)
Bhutan
Jenny
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Haiti
travertine
wizardry & witchcraft
A Different World
Emily Dickinson
Gabriela Mistral
rout (from tour)
Spain
Uganda
Nigeria
Napoleon III (Louis-Napoléon)
Tuscany
Carl Sagan
the Thunderbirds
Siamese
a Sphynx
Elvis
Battleship
Ted Williams
the War of 1812
Athena
Ethiopia
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Scientists
As a humorous tribute, an astronomical term equivalent to at least 4 billion has been named for him.

Spoiler
Who is Carl Sagan? Jason said Stephen Hawking; Molly said Dalton

Molly Lalonde: $17,400-$2,600=$14,800...now a 4-day champion with $53,300
Jason: $200-$200=$0
Cindy : (-$800)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

I guess they were too young to remember Carl Sagan. :)
Sheepin' it real.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

So far, I'm 2-0 in FJ!, while the contestants are 0-the first two days.

You do the math.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Now THAT was a beatdown! I don't want to hear any more sexist nonsense from you naysayers about how Molly really isn't a top tier contestant and her wins owe more to luck and sub-par competition.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would have been tempted to bet $15,000 on the last DD. If you get it right, you have over $30,000 going into FJ. If wrong, you might have a rematch with someone you just curb stomped. And it turned out to be way overvalued for the bottom row. French New Wiorld colony that had a revolt. Really?

Instaguess on FJ that was right.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Just turrible.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, we were one neg away from a one-person FJ!

1990s Hitmakers was tougher than I thought. Got only Billy Ray and Nirvana. Wonderwall was too far back in the mind, and I blanked on Boyz II Men (I almost said "Beastie Boys"); Better Than Ezra was the only outright NHOI.

Ran "Owl" and "First and Last Letter".

I thought sesquicentennial was evil for Nevada at $200. If you don't know the state's admission date cold, then you're gonna go with the "obvious" choices of centennial and bicentennial at $200. And then get flustered when both are negged, because what else could it be in the top box?!

Precalled Siamese in Pussycat, and not just because my Siamese was sitting on the couch next to me. Surprisingly I didn't run the category, since I've never heard of a Siberian cat, and I know nothing about Persian cats since I've never seen one.

Could've run Bite in Britain, but I wasn't sure enough on the bottom three.

My derp moments of the day: "What the heck game has ships in it?!?" "What library is in Washington, D.C.?!?"

Predicted the overturn on "Wizarding and witchcraft". That was my only get in the category too.

I wouldn't have guessed Dickinson on Poetic Women for $1600 since it wasn't in common meter, it wasn't about death, and it didn't use a not-even-close-to-rhyming slant rhyme.

3/5 in African Capitals is three more than I expected to get right.

Lach Trash: Inverted Jenny, rout.

Science guy with a fixation for the word "billion" = Carl Sagan. Had it before Alex was done reading the clue.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats to Molly on her fourth win!

Picked up Lach trash: "Bhutan", "Jenny", "Emily Dickinson", "rout", "Uganda", "Nigeria"

Got FJ.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:I guess they were too young to remember Carl Sagan. :)
I'm too young. But thanks to Cosmos I've become acquainted :)
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

opusthepenguin wrote:Now THAT was a beatdown! I don't want to hear any more sexist nonsense from you naysayers about how Molly really isn't a top tier contestant and her wins owe more to luck and sub-par competition.
Can we please not rehash the Julia argument? I've been enjoying the board being free of it since last week.

Jason...come on dude. Stop hitting the buzzer when you're not sure. Just stop. You're hurting me here.

Instaget FJ, nice to start 2/2 after my debacle last week.

Picked up trash on Bhutan, Jenny, Uganda, Spain, and rout.

Never heard of the Thunderbirds - I bit on the Blue Angels negbait.

My coryat took a hit thanks to negging on the 2k clues in Gift Shop and Poetic Women, but I managed to recover well in African Capitals. Went 4/5, just missing Abuja. Nice to see them finally imprinting on my brain.

Hope Molly starts hitting those FJs soon...
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

lisa0012 wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:I guess they were too young to remember Carl Sagan. :)
I'm too young. But thanks to Cosmos I've become acquainted :)
"Bill-yuns and bill-yuns" is a cultural trope at this point, even though he never really said it. I instagot it and I'm 28.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I wouldn't have guessed Dickinson on Poetic Women for $1600 since it wasn't in common meter, it wasn't about death, and it didn't use a not-even-close-to-rhyming slant rhyme.
I guessed Dickinson, but somewhat hesitatingly. Since it was near the bottom of the board, I wondered whether there was a trick. American female poet from the 1800s? I thought "There's one very obvious choice, but is that all there is to it?"

I successfully zeroed in on the words "billion" and "humorous" to get what they were going for with FJ. I agree that it might poll slightly lower among younger adults, but it's still enough of a part of popular culture to be gettable.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had a brain freeze and could not pull out Dickinson. I did get Browning from the husband TOM, but did not know she lived her last years in Italy.

Interesting the Inverted Jenny came up when we had a discussion about the plane just the other day. And yesterday someone mentioned the Owl and the Pussycat when discussing one of the clues.

If Molly wins tomorrow, we will have 16 five time champs/tournament winners. The last time we had too many five timers than they needed for the TOC, did they bump the lowest earning winners or did they bump the last ones to qualify?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought sesquicentennial was evil for Nevada at $200. If you don't know the state's admission date cold, then you're gonna go with the "obvious" choices of centennial and bicentennial at $200. And then get flustered when both are negged, because what else could it be in the top box?!
I think they would taken 150th anniversary.

And how many people got inverted jenny from the Curtis discussion of last week?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
TryingHarder
Contributor

Post by TryingHarder »

Bamaman wrote: Interesting the Inverted Jenny came up when we had a discussion about the plane just the other day. And yesterday someone mentioned the Owl and the Pussycat when discussing one of the clues.
The postal service is having a tribute stamp to the inverted jenny which they are advertising in post offices
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Had Douglas Adams first, realized "wait a second, he's not a scientist", then arrived at Carl "billions and billions of stars" Sagan.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

"Molly, why do you keep winning but missing the Final??" :lol: Hilarious finish from Alex.

In all seriousness, though, yay!! Carl Sagan!!
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 out of 60.
Nevada 2/5 1990's: 4/5 Britain: 1/5 Stamps 1/5 Owl: 3/5 Pussycat: 4/5
Bonaparte: 5/5 TV/Movie: 5/5 Switch: 5/5 Poetic: 2/5 Africa: 5/5 (Thanks, Sporcle!) Exit: 4/5

Lots of Lach trash: "Uganda", "Nigeria", "Tuscany", "Emily Dickinson", "rout", "Spain", "150th" (wouldn't have got sesquicentennial)

Guessed Stephen Hawking for FJ, and thought of Douglas Adams (not a scientist- same thought as yours dnbguy), but didn't consider Carl Sagan. Not my best effort.