Thursday, June 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6859, 2014-06-12

CONTESTANTS
Joe Keehnast, a web product manager from Chicago, Illinois
Katie Frank, a graduate student in communications studies from Poway, California
Darren O'Connor, a police officer from Norfolk, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard. Our champion is a man who is used to solving crimes, but he was pretty good on solving our clues on yesterday's program, and that's why he's the champion today. Katie and Joe are the challengers. We welcome you all, and we wish you good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories for today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE MONTANAS, JOE & HELENA (3/5)
POLITICIAN AUTHORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OTHER LINES TO SING THE KIDS (5/5) (Alex: We want you to identify the song. We'll give you a lesser known lyric from each song.)
ENDS WITH DOUBLE LETTERS (4/5)
ANCIENT HISTORY (5/5)
NOEL, COWARD (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Katie: 13 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Darren: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Joe: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Darren had $2,000, Katie had $1,000, and Joe was at $1,000. Katie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

POLITICIAN AUTHORS $800: In 2003 this onetime head of the State department told her groundbreaking story in "Madame Secretary"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Katie: $3,600
Darren: $1,000
Joe: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Joe Keehnast is from Chicago, and this year he qualified for a marathon by doing what?

Joe:Well, I qualified for the Boston marathon by running a previous marathon in the --under the qualifying time, which, for my age group, is 3 hours and 5 minutes.

Alex: And you did it in how long?

Joe: Well, 3 hours --it was 3 hours and 4 minutes and 13 seconds. Cut it pretty close.

Alex: This will be your fifth marathon?

Joe: This will be my fifth, yeah.

Alex: Okay, good luck.

Joe: Thank you.

Alex: All righty.

Alex: Katie Frank is from Poway, California, a graduate student in communications studies who likes to do embroidery?

Katie: Yes.

Alex: Does that calm you down? Is that why you do it?

Katie: It's very relaxing to just sort of do kind of a rote task, um, sort of, free --free your mind from --
from thinking all day.

Alex: But you have a theme for most of the embroidery that you do.

Katie: So I study comic books, so I like to make a lot of my embroidery comic book-themed.

Alex: Who's your favorite comic book character that you have put on some of your embroidery time and time again?

Katie: Oh, my gosh. I can't think of a comic book one right now, but I just finish a portrait of Bela Lugosi as Dracula.

Alex: Bela Lugosi. Hello. [ laughs ] Okay.

Alex: Darren O'Connor is a police officer. He's our champion. He's also a car restorer, and in particular, restoring...

Darren: A 1963 Studebaker Avanti.

Alex: Avanti.

Darren: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Strange-shaped car, but very popular with collectors. However, there haven't been
that many of them out there in the marketplace. Am I right?

Darren: No, they only made 4,600 --Studebaker did.

Alex: Okay, how close are you to completing yours?

Darren: Oh, the mechanicals are all done. I just need to work on the interior and paint it.

Alex: All righty.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MONTANAS, JOE & HELENA $400: She's the lady seen here atop the state capitol in Helena, Montana
(Joe: Who is Athena?)

THE MONTANAS, JOE & HELENA $800: Helena's valley is named after this alliterative plant; William Clark was injured by many of its barbs when he explored there

ENDS WITH DOUBLE LETTERS $800: The point in an orbit farthest from earth

NOEL, COWARD $1000: Noel freaks when it comes to Yb, this element; it's the most volatile rare-earth metal, & Noel can't stand volatility!

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Katie: $8,000
Darren: $2,800
Joe: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NATIONAL FILM REGISTRY (5/5)
FINAL RESTING PLACES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOUNTAINS (4/5)
BIBLICAL REVELRY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SECURITY (3/4)
__________ IT (4/4) [Alex pronounces the category as "Blank it".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Darren: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Katie: 9 R, 2 W
Joe: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Darren snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Darren had $3,600, Katie had $10,000, and Joe was at $7,000. Darren made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

FINAL RESTING PLACES $1200: This author's ashes were buried uner a large walnut tree in front of his office on Ventura Blvd. in Tarzana, California

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Darren who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Darren had $10,400, Katie had $11,200, and Joe was at $9,000. Darren wagered $2,000.

BIBLICAL REVELRY $1200: In Judges 16 the Philistines have a wild party (their last) to mock this hero

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOUNTAINS $2000: If you watched the Sochi Winter Olympics, you saw stunning views of this 750-mile mountain range
(Darren: What are the Urals?)

FINAL RESTING PLACES $1600: In 1936, 47 years after his death, his body was moved from Molokai to Leuven, Belgium
(Katie: Who is Captain Cook?)
(Alex: Who is [*], who used to treat the lepers.)

SECURITY $1600: Common-law & statutory are types of this legal claim one has on the property of another as security for debt

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Darren: $16,000
Katie: $15,200
Joe: $9,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CURRENT TELEVISION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Darren: Wager $14,401 to cover Katie.
Katie: You have to wager $2,801 to cover Joe's doubled score, but certainly no more than $6,199, so as to force Joe to be right to have a chance at winning.
Joe: Consider risking between $6,201 and $7,399. This will top a $0 wager by Katie while still beating Darren on the Triple Stumper (should Darren wager to cover Katie's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
George Romero declined to direct a few episodes of this series, calling it "basically...just a soap opera"

FINAL SCORES
Joe: $9,000 - $6,400 = $2,600 (What is The Bachelor?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Katie: $15,200 + $15,000 = $30,200 (What is The Walking Dead?) (New champion: $30,200)
Darren: $16,000 + $4,000 = $20,000 (What is The Walking Dead?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alex: [after revealing Joe's response] Wait a minute. "Basically just a soap opera," George Romero. It's not that much of a horror, is it, "The Bachelor"? [ laughter ]
[After revealing Katie's response]
George Romero directed the film, "Night of the Living Dead."

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Katie: $15,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Darren: $12,800, 16 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Joe: $9,000, 13 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Katie: 23/59 = .390
Darren: 17/60 = .283
Joe: 13/58 = .224
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ANCIENT HISTORY $200: In the 400s B.C. Callicrates designed the temple of Athena Nike on this hill
(Katie: What is the Parthenon?)
(Alex: [*] is the hill; the Parthenon is one of the temples. Yes.)

ANCIENT HISTORY $800: Meaning "hidden", this god's name is found in the name of a young pharaoh who restored worship of him
(Alex: Yes, Tutankhamun.)

POLITICIAN AUTHORS $1000: This Republican who ran for president in 2012 is the author of "End the Fed"
(Darren: Who is Mitt Romney?)

NOEL, COWARD $800: 'The website of the BLS, the bureau of these, which reports the national unemployment rate, terrifies Noel
(Joe: What is the Bureau of Labor and Statistics?)

THE MONTANAS, JOE & HELENA $1000: Today a stadium is named for Joe in this hometown, also the longest-named of Pittsburgh's "three rivers"
(Joe: What is the Adirondack?)

MOUNTAINS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) The idea for Mount Rushmore
came from
South Dakota state historian
Doane Robinson,
who envisioned having colossal sculptures of Old West heroes
on this range of low mountains

SECURITY $1200: "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little...safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety", he wrote
(Katie: Who is Thomas Jefferson?)

SECURITY $800: "Topics" at the website for this cabinet department include "human trafficking" & "immigration enforcement"
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Madeleine Albright
Lady Liberty
prickly pear
apogee
ytterbium
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Samson
the Caucasus
Father Damien
lien
The Walking Dead
the Acropolis
Amun
Ron Paul
Bureau of Labor Statistics
Monongahela
Black Hills
(Benjamin) Franklin
Homeland Security
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Current Television
George Romero declined to direct a few episodes of this series, calling it "Basically...just a soap opera".

Spoiler
What is The Walking Dead? Joe said The Bachelor.

Darren O'Connor: $16,000+$4,000=$20,000
Katie Frank: $15,200+$15,000=$30,200...now a 1-day champion with $30,200
Joe Keehnast: $9,000-$6,400=$2,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Before we get into some tedious discussion where some folks bash Darren's failure to cover and some say his bet was sneakily good... the thing is, he missed very gettable FJs both days. It's very hard to win, bad bet or not, when you can't get FJs that will poll over 60%.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

All I have to say is...........
The bachelor? Really?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

RIP Golf killed by Darren's wager.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote:Before we get into some tedious discussion where some folks bash Darren's failure to cover and some say his bet was sneakily good... the thing is, he missed very gettable FJs both days. It's very hard to win, bad bet or not, when you can't get FJs that will poll over 60%.
Darren got FJ right, he just made a small bet.

I groaned when I saw the FJ category. I knew it would be about some show I've never watched. I tried to remember during the break the name of the zombie show everyone raves about, but could not pull out its name. I had no idea who George Romero is and wrote down The Office just to have something.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Austin Powers wrote:Before we get into some tedious discussion where some folks bash Darren's failure to cover and some say his bet was sneakily good... the thing is, he missed very gettable FJs both days. It's very hard to win, bad bet or not, when you can't get FJs that will poll over 60%.
No, he got it today, just didn't bet enough.
Sheepin' it real.
tbk

Post by tbk »

Once again, Darren fails to bet enough to cover. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that he doesn't watch The Final Wager.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Oh. Well he's just dumb then.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Whaaaaaaat!? That had to be one of those '20000 is a nice even number' wagers, right!?

Instaget FJ, but if you don't know who George Romero is, you're pretty much screwed.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Austin Powers wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Yeah, no. He may have made a terrible wager, but dumb? Really AP?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Picked up trash with apogee, Caucasus (pronounced it wrong though) and lien.

39/58 today with only 1 neg, did pretty damn well. I had an odd run where I missed a bunch of top row clues in row, but got the tougher ones right. I am a special boy.

edit: well this thread is off to a GREAT start
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Likely over 85%, I'd think.

If you're going to bet $4000, then just bet it all.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Darren Image
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "Lady Liberty", "apogee", "ytterbium", "Caucasus", "lien"

Didn't get FJ.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

For the $600 clue in ancient history ("Babylonia and Sumer were civilizations in this ancient region . . ."), I said "fertile crescent" instead of "Mesopotamia." Judges?

And am I the only one who negged with "Earth in the balance" instead of "An inconvenient truth" for the particular Al Gore book they were asking about?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I think this FJ hinged enormously on whether or not the name "George Romero" means anything to you. My guess is the guy at the third podium didn't recognize that name, so the only words he could seize onto were "basically just a soap opera" or however it was worded.

I managed to get this FJ, although when the category was revealed, I was worried. Contemporary TV is a bad weak spot for me. I keep meaning to study up on it, and will do so if I ever get The Call.

Luckily, I was very aware that George Romero is probably best known for "Night of the Living Dead". So my first thought was, "It's probably a TV show about zombies -- most likely that one whose title is similar to 'Living Dead'."

I wrote down "What is Walking Dead", which I'm sure would count as correct even missing the article. (As I understand it, that would only be considered wrong if there were two different TV shows called "Walking Dead" and "The Walking Dead".)

Another title that briefly entered my mind was "Zombieland". I know nothing about "The Walking Dead", including basic details like how recent it is and whether it's still on TV. I know nothing about "Zombieland", also. Turns out that's a movie, not a TV show. Good thing I stuck with my first choice.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Yeah, no. He may have made a terrible wager, but dumb? Really AP?
If he's done it two straight days...
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

hbomb1947 wrote: And am I the only one who negged with "Earth in the balance" instead of "An inconvenient truth" for the particular Al Gore book they were asking about?
Nope...