UPDATE: Request webinar/conference topics.... Real-time phone/web conferencing

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Would you be interested in participating in phone/web conferencing on Jeopardy-related topics?

(a) Sure, I'm interested, though it would depend each time on the day, time and topic (if there is one.)
60%
(b) Not only am I interested (same conditions as above,) but I'd offer to host/co-host/moderate on occasion.
8%
(c) Nah, not likely.
32%

Total votes: 25

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

After the audition webinar that I co-hosted with Dr. J, a suggestion was sent my way to allow for real-time group chat. While it would have been cumbersome to accommodate on that webinar, especially on the fly, I think that's a dandy idea going forward.

If there's interest here, I'm more than happy to host, co-host, moderate or just provide the platform for phone+web conferencing to discuss..... whatever. In that type of forum there doesn't need to be, or probably shouldn't be, a fixed agenda with slides, a "script", etc. Perhaps just a general topic for discussion or free form. That's certainly much, much easier to support on a regular basis. I would expect that kind of forum to attract people with questions, people with answers, and people who just want to listen in. This wouldn't supplant JBoard, but complement it.

The question then is whether enough interest exists. I could see doing this once a month or more. Days/times could be rotated to accommodate differing schedules. (As with the audition webinar, replays would be available if you missed the live discussion.) If you want to lead a discussion, then you could have that opportunity, or of course you could just suggest a topic. I'm perfectly OK with providing the platform and some necessary structure and infrastructure, and leaving the rest of the light- and heavy-lifting to whoever wants to participate.

Other thoughts are most welcome in addition to the poll.
Last edited by RandyG on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Real-time phone and web conferencing

Post by Bamaman »

Would this be an audio format or would it be a chat room with all communication being typed? I'd be interested in something like that if you ran it, would not want to be involved in management or moderating.

Outside of this board, how and where did you promote the webinar you hosted?
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Bamaman wrote:Would this be an audio format or would it be a chat room with all communication being typed? I'd be interested in something like that if you ran it, would not want to be involved in management or moderating.

Outside of this board, how and where did you promote the webinar you hosted?
The platform supports both voice (phone, Skype, etc.) and chat (typing) simultaneously.

The only other active promotion that I did for the audition webinar was to a subset of friends on facebook and also to my business marketing group. I also sent out some tweets, but there my reach is minuscule. I didn't do any advertising, per se, nor did I "chat it up" on other forums. I don't know whether Stephanie did anything other than posting on her facebook pages. I purposely tried to keep it on the small side, as long as JBoardies were fully aware. In total about 90 people have registered to date -- still getting 1 or 2 every couple of days -- and close to 40 participated live.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For the record, I would have put b) but I have absolutely no idea what my Jeopardy! forte is, and doubt I even have one. If you know something I don't about my particular set of skills, I *might* be up for a b)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

dhkendall wrote:For the record, I would have put b) but I have absolutely no idea what my Jeopardy! forte is, and doubt I even have one. If you know something I don't about my particular set of skills, I *might* be up for a b)
Don't sell yourself short, David!

But besides, by offering to host/moderate I wasn't suggesting that anyone needed to have a particular Jeopardy! forte, just be willing to exert some control over the discussion. (In theory, that's not needed; in practice, it absolutely is.) And as I said earlier, I'll take care of the infrastructure/technology side, and also co-moderate as necessary.

I can see three direct potential benefits to moderating:

1. It will increase the likelihood that an interactive discussion of a topic you're interested in will actually happen, and that you'll have some control to steer the conversation towards your particular issues. In fact, I would expect that these are situations where you feel ill-prepared as a so-called expert.

2. It's an opportunity to learn new technologies, and on somebody else's dime to boot. (One of the reasons I had for doing the audition webinar is that I wanted to learn how to do webinars, and I would consider these new discussions additional learning experiences for me as well. Even if nobody else showed up, that first webinar was going to happen.)

3. It's a relatively benign opportunity to get experience "in front of people" in a live setting. (David, with your ToastMasters background, I know you would understand that.) Then, with the recordings you can subsequently hear and evaluate your "performance" as a moderator and also be able to edit audio clips for any personal or professional use. (As in #2, I plead guilty to having these motivations as well.)
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Dr. J and Keith Williams are both on board to host webinars and/or phone conferences this summer and possibly beyond. (Yay!) Between them they're pretty darn knowledgeable about preparing for the show, game and wagering strategy, preparing for the online test and, of course, what's it like behind the scenes at Jeopardy! tournaments.

Formats are to be determined, but first let's hear what you'd like our gracious and generous hosts to discuss and take questions on. What specifics within the topics mentioned above interest you? What other topics come to mind? Post here or PM me.

btw, if you're new here and/or missed it, the first-in-the-series audition webinar is still available on replay: http://www.jeopardyaudition.com
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: UPDATE: Request webinar/conference topics.... Real-time phone/web conferenci

Post by dhkendall »

RandyG wrote:Dr. J and Keith Williams are both on board to host webinars and/or phone conferences this summer and possibly beyond. (Yay!) Between them they're pretty darn knowledgeable about preparing for the show, game and wagering strategy, preparing for the online test and, of course, what's it like behind the scenes at Jeopardy! tournaments.

Formats are to be determined, but first let's hear what you'd like our gracious and generous hosts to discuss and take questions on. What specifics within the topics mentioned above interest you? What other topics come to mind? Post here or PM me.

btw, if you're new here and/or missed it, the first-in-the-series audition webinar is still available on replay: http://www.jeopardyaudition.com
I think the biggest one that would be of help to me, and others like me, is not just preparing for the audition, but how to get tot he audition stage in the first place! (i.e. passing the online test, etc.), I've never had an audition to use your excellent tips on because I've never been invited to one (yet)! (And I do realize that, like my .signature says, getting to the audition stage seems to be, more than anything else, a game of luck as the people selected for an audition are randomly drawn.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: UPDATE: Request webinar/conference topics.... Real-time phone/web conferenci

Post by Vermonter »

RandyG wrote:Dr. J and Keith Williams are both on board to host webinars and/or phone conferences this summer and possibly beyond. (Yay!)
Caveat: I'll only do it if Golf participates
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Vermonter wrote:
RandyG wrote:Dr. J and Keith Williams are both on board to host webinars and/or phone conferences this summer and possibly beyond. (Yay!)
Would you guys do a good cop/bad cop thing?

I'd love to participate - I'd like to improve my moderation skills, and why not do it with a topic that interests me? I'm not much for wagering theory, however.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

zakharov wrote: I'd love to participate - I'd like to improve my moderation skills, and why not do it with a topic that interests me? I'm not much for wagering theory, however.
Great! I would suggest definitely on something that interests you. Think about that and then we can discuss via PM.
Vermonter wrote:
Sorry, it's too late to start adding conditions.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

dhkendall wrote:I think the biggest one that would be of help to me, and others like me, is not just preparing for the audition, but how to get to the audition stage in the first place! (i.e. passing the online test, etc.), I've never had an audition to use your excellent tips on because I've never been invited to one (yet)! (And I do realize that, like my .signature says, getting to the audition stage seems to be, more than anything else, a game of luck as the people selected for an audition are randomly drawn.)
Such a system to get around the luck aspect would be extremely valuable in the open market. But as you know that's not the universe that the TPTB have created.

You have persistence, David. Just keep trying -- I know you will -- and some day that persistence will pay off with an audition. I brought this up during the webinar: I'm hardly an Oprah fan, but I like her definition of luck.... "Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity." I would say that it's on the simplistic side when there clearly is an element of randomness to this process. But still, the first rule of getting that opportunity, i.e. making your own luck, is showing up. You'd be surprised how many people don't make the connection.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RandyG wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I think the biggest one that would be of help to me, and others like me, is not just preparing for the audition, but how to get to the audition stage in the first place! (i.e. passing the online test, etc.), I've never had an audition to use your excellent tips on because I've never been invited to one (yet)! (And I do realize that, like my .signature says, getting to the audition stage seems to be, more than anything else, a game of luck as the people selected for an audition are randomly drawn.)
Such a system to get around the luck aspect would be extremely valuable in the open market. But as you know that's not the universe that the TPTB have created.

You have persistence, David. Just keep trying -- I know you will -- and some day that persistence will pay off with an audition. I brought this up during the webinar: I'm hardly an Oprah fan, but I like her definition of luck.... "Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity." I would say that it's on the simplistic side when there clearly is an element of randomness to this process. But still, the first rule of getting that opportunity, i.e. making your own luck, is showing up. You'd be surprised how many people don't make the connection.
There are so many reasons I like past TOC winner Vijay Balse. His story of determination through (26 years?) of trying to get on the show is but one of them. If he can try, try, and try again, so can I.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I'd be interested in a podcast, but i don't know if there's enough material to talk for a half hour or an hour.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

silverscreentest wrote:I'd be interested in a podcast, but i don't know if there's enough material to talk for a half hour or an hour.
A podcast could (or perhaps should be) 10, 15... maybe 20 minutes. Depends on what you want to talk about.