TD 199: ID 2: Merkel's Revenge

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 199: ID 2: Merkel's Revenge

Post by MarkBarrett »

mennoknight wrote:I knew every one of those, stone cold (working in radio for a decade will do that) and still managed to almost sheep. Consarnit and stagflation.
While I have heard of some of the other acts and songs, it was only the Britney song with lyrics I could peg that kept me from joining econgator (I knew your earlier post was pointing to the music question) and co. on the drop.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
mennoknight wrote:I knew every one of those, stone cold (working in radio for a decade will do that) and still managed to almost sheep. Consarnit and stagflation.
While I have heard of some of the other acts and songs, it was only the Britney song with lyrics I could peg that kept me from joining econgator (I knew your earlier post was pointing to the music question) and co. on the drop.
Yep, that was the one (although now that I have seen it, I might have eventually been able to dredge up the Nirvana tune).
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Same except I DID sheep.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

I would be doing a heck of a lot better if I had picked an obvious one for the baseball stadium question: Boston Red Sox (easy to identify by the Citgo sign, which I noticed), Toronto Blue Jays (I recognized it not by the Canadian flag, which I didn't even notice, but the retractable roof), and St. Louis Cardinals (Gateway Arch in the background). Instead I furnished an incorrect answer (PNC Park--I thought for a second it was the Minnesota Twins' stadium, not the Pirates...I must have been thinking of TCF Bank Stadium, which is the new stadium for the University of Minnesota football team. They are both named after banks and both have 3 letters, one of them a C).

I was pretty sure Offutt AFB was in Nebraska, but not 100% sure, it turned out I was right, but I chose Nellis AFB in NV. You may remember Offutt Air Force Base as one of the places that Air Force One landed with President George W. Bush on September 11, 2001 while the Secret Service (a recent Final Jeopardy correct response) was trying to figure out what to do.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I only knew Offut because I've seen cars with parking stickers for it. This Kiss was the only song I knew for that question.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

tjconn728 wrote: Question 7. Identify the landmark United States Supreme Court case whose significance is summarized on Wikipedia as follows. All answers should be in the form of "Plaintiff v. Defendant."

a. Section 13 of the Judiciary Act of 1789 is unconstitutional because it attempts to expand the original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court beyond that permitted by the Constitution. Congress cannot pass laws that contradict the Constitution.
b. People of African descent that are slaves or were slaves and subsequently freed, along with their descendants, cannot be United States citizens. Consequently, they cannot sue in federal court. Also, slavery cannot be outlawed in the western territories before they access statehood.
c. Local governments may seize property for economic development purposes
d. Police must advise criminal suspects of their rights under the Constitution to remain silent, to consult with a lawyer, and to have one appointed to them if they are indigent. A police interrogation must stop if the suspect states that he or she wishes to remain silent.
e. A law criminalizing adults who engage in consensual same-sex sexual conduct furthers no legitimate state interest and violates their right to privacy under the Fourteenth Amendment's Due Process Clause. This decision effectively nullifies all sodomy laws in the United States.
f. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act's expansion of Medicaid is unconstitutional as-written—it is unduly coercive to force the states to choose between participating in the expansion or forgoing all Medicaid funds. In addition, the individual health insurance mandate is constitutional by virtue of the Taxing and Spending Clause (though not by the Commerce Clause or the Necessary and Proper Clause).
g. Government-directed prayer in public schools, even if it is denominationally neutral and non-mandatory, violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.
h. Segregated schools in the states are unconstitutional because they violate the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court found that the separate but equal doctrine adopted in Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) "has no place in the field of public education."
i. The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for self-defense is fully applicable to the states through the Fourteenth Amendment.
j. Limits on corporate and union political expenditures during an election cycle violate the First Amendment. Corporations and labor unions can spend unlimited sums in support of or in opposition to candidates, as long as the spending is independent of the candidates.
k. A law that criminalizes the use of contraception by married couples is unconstitutional because all Americans have a constitutionally protected right to privacy.
l. The arbitrary and inconsistent imposition of the death penalty violates the Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments and constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. This decision initiates a nationwide de facto moratorium on executions that lasts until the Supreme Court's decision in Gregg v. Georgia (1976).

BONUS: I will deduct two points off of your score if you can correctly identify the sitting Chief Justice presiding over your chosen case. There is no penalty for a wrong answer, but you must get the main question correct to be eligible for the bonus.
In untypical TD fashion, the two most well-known answers actually did sheep here. There were three singletons here, including the most recent case included on the list, and every case was identified at least once. Curiously, Kelo v. New London was not identified until the last day of entry, and then four entries in a row chose it. I was afraid that I had gone too obscure, since it is one of the most well-known cases in my profession, but I wasn't sure it registered on the public consciousness. So I was glad to see it was recognizable to at least some of you.

B - Dred Scott v. Sandford (Roger Taney) (7 6 points)
sarah0114
Peachbox (-2)
Vermonter (-2)
MarkBarrett (-2)
mennoknight
hscer (-2)
Bristle (-2)

H - Brown v. Board of Education (Earl Warren) (7 6 points)
barandall800
whatisbishkek (-2)
debramc
Leander (-2)
CoachP
Bamaman (-2)
Cat Hat (-2)

D - Miranda v. Arizona (Earl Warren) (5 points)
ElendilPickle (-2)
Vanya
immaf
nserven (-2)
JoshuaRQI (-2)

K - Griswold v. Connecticut (Earl Warren) (5 4 points)
Magna (-2)
jjwaymee (-2)
Fishercat (-2)
Mathew5000 (-2)
esrever (-2)

C - Kelo v. New London (William Rehnquist) (4 points)
A drop of golden sun (-2)
Woppy T (-2)
goforthetie (-2)
ihavejeoprosy (-2)

E - Lawrence v. Texas (William Rehnquist) (4 3 points)
Kingrat47 (-2)
soxfan99 (-2)
Peggles (-2)
d4z (-2)

J - Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (John Roberts) (4 points)
jepkid97 (-2)
geolawyerman (-2)
CheezeWhiz (-2)
xxaaaxx (-2)

A - Marbury v. Madison (John Marshall) (3 points)
skullturf
gamawire (-2)
econgator (-2)

L - Furman v. Georgia (Warren Burger) (2 1 point)
eboettch
Christy (-2)

F - National Federation of Independent Businesses v. Sebilius (John Roberts) (1 point)
dnbguy (-2)

G - Engel v. Vitale (Earl Warren) (1 0 points)
Aardvark (-2)

I - McDonald v. Chicago (John Roberts) (1 0 points)
Binky (-2)

DROP
dott888
TheyCallMeMrKid

INCORRECT ANSWERS - 12 11 points
sillymonkey - D - Miranda v. U.S.
Last edited by tjconn728 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

tjconn728 wrote:Question 8. Each set of blue colored states in the United States map below have something in common. Identify one of these commonalities.

Hint: None of the correct answers are simply "the 10 smallest/most obese/richest/etc. states." Some maps could be answered in such a way, but I am looking for a threshold that they all cross. For example, if I had a map that highlighted Alaska, Texas, California, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado, I would be looking not for the "largest states," but rather "states that are larger than 100,000 square miles." In actuality, there are none that have such a random threshold though. I think this will make more sense if you recognize what the map is showing.

Note: In the event that there is a correct answer other than the one I intended, all correct answers for each letter will be grouped and scored together.

I really liked this question, but it also worried me a bit too, as it was difficult for me to tell how readily one would be able to pick up the patterns in the map. Although it was tied for the most dropped question (7) and had the most wrong answers (5), neither number was absurdly high and all but one of the maps was correctly identified, so for me it did hit the mix of challenging but solvable that I was looking for; hopefully you agree. Two of the ones that I anticipated to be the most accessible were the most popular answers by far, and if you managed to avoid those two, you scored well here.

C - Under one million population OR 1 Congressperson/3 Electoral votes (9 8 points)
Vermonter
mennoknight
hscer
immaf
Magna
Fishercat
Kingrat47
skullturf
Binky

D - States that begin with "M" (7 points)
debramc
Mathew5000
A drop of golden sun
jepkid97
CheezeWhiz
eboettch
dott888

A - States with an Ivy League college/university (4 3 points)
sillymonkey
nserven
esrever
Woppy T

H - States with a Republican governor (3 2 points)
goforthetie
Christy
dnbguy

B - States with an highest elevation above 1 mile (2 1 point)
Bristle
Vanya

E - States either wholly or partly observing Central time (2 points)
soxfan99
econgator

G - The Confederate States of America (2 points)
barandall800
Bamaman

I - States that contain the Appalachian Trail (2 1 point)
Cat Hat
geolawyerman

L - States with a National Park (2 1 point)
whatisbishkek
Aardvark

J - States with a named avenue in standard Monopoly (1 0 points)
d4z

K - States that voted for Barack Obama/Joe Biden in 2008 (1 point)
jjwaymee

DROP
sarah0114
MarkBarrett
Leander
ElendilPickle
ihavejeoprosy
Peggles
xxaaaxx

UNUSED ANSWERS
F - States with a team in one of the Big 4 sports leagues (Did anyone happen to solve this one but choose another answer?)

INCORRECT ANSWERS - 14 13 points
CoachP (C - lowest population densities)
JoshuaRQI (C - lowest population densities)
Peachbox (C - smallest populations) (While correct, as I explained in the note I needed more specificity, and you have PMs blocked so I couldn't ask for more clarification. I tried putting a note in the participants list to contact me, but it was only a few hours before the deadline so I imagine you didn't see it. Sorry.)
gamawire (I - 13 colonies)
TheyCallMeMrKid (K - states that voted for Obama in the last presidential election) (Close, but since the 2012 map was slightly different (Indiana and North Carolina), I couldn't accept it.)
Last edited by tjconn728 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I would've picked Marbury v. Madison, but as one of the most well-known (and earliest) landmark cases, I thought it would sheep like crazy. I would've picked Kelo, but that's all I could think of - Kelo. Couldn't come up with "v. New London". And for some odd reason, I thought case "I" was D.C. v. Heller.

EDIT: and had I known that such obvious choices as the electoral map, the Central time zone, and the CSA would score so low, I would've saved my drop. BAH :lol:
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

xxaaaxx wrote:I would've picked Marbury v. Madison, but as one of the most well-known (and earliest) landmark cases, I thought it would sheep like crazy. I would've picked Kelo, but that's all I could think of - Kelo. Couldn't come up with "v. New London". And for some odd reason, I thought case "I" was D.C. v. Heller.

EDIT: and had I known that such obvious choices as the electoral map, the Central time zone, and the CSA would score so low, I would've saved my drop. BAH :lol:
I'm no legal scholar, but a quick reading of D.C. v. Heller seems to apply to "federal enclaves," whereas McDonald v. Chicago applies to the states. They're close enough, and I didn't provide enough detail in the question, that had anybody answered D.C. v. Heller I probably would have accepted it.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

tjconn728 wrote: UNUSED ANSWERS
F - States with a team in one of the Big 4 sports leagues (Did anyone happen to solve this one but choose another answer?)
I solved that one, as well as C, D, E, G, I, J and K. I was vacillating between choosing F, J or my eventual choice of K. It looks like I was going to do pretty well for any of those three. 8-)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

tjconn728 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I would've picked Marbury v. Madison, but as one of the most well-known (and earliest) landmark cases, I thought it would sheep like crazy. I would've picked Kelo, but that's all I could think of - Kelo. Couldn't come up with "v. New London". And for some odd reason, I thought case "I" was D.C. v. Heller.

I'm no legal scholar, but a quick reading of D.C. v. Heller seems to apply to "federal enclaves," whereas McDonald v. Chicago applies to the states. They're close enough, and I didn't provide enough detail in the question, that had anybody answered D.C. v. Heller I probably would have accepted it.
I'm glad it didn't come to this, because accepting Heller would have been very wrong.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Yeah I'm not a legal scholar either, but if McDonald v Chicago was needed to affirm the individual right to bear arms applied to the states (which is exactly what the question said), then clearly Heller didn't.
d4z

Post by d4z »

tjconn728 wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:Question 8.

UNUSED ANSWERS

I solved this one, but I knew that there are a bunch of people on this board who enjoy sports -- so I thought this answer might be the sheep or close to it. So instead, I chose the one that I thought the fewest people would be able to solve: the map with the states that have Monopoly avenues named for them. I got a singleton, but it turns out that I also would have gotten a singleton with the sports one.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

"The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for self-defense is fully applicable to the states through the Fourteenth Amendment."

District of Columbia v. Heller had nothing to do with the Fourteenth Amendment.

McDonald v. Chicago addressed whether the doctrine of incorporation (by the Fourteenth Amendment) applies to the Second Amendment.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

<sigh> Heading for the basement of the standings again.

Had to zip through this about 15 minutes before the deadline, so didn't have much time to think about it. Could only get 1 of the court case full names (Brown v. BOE), and figured that would sheep. Knew the first half of Dred Scott and Citizens United, but wasn't sure about the defendants. Happy with the decision to drop that one, I guess.

Thought the "M", central time zone and confederate states maps were the easiest, so pushed myself to try to get a more difficult one. Most of them were just totally stumping me except for the electoral one (red states and blue states pretty memorable, eh?) Didn't really look close enough at K to determine whether it was from 2008 or 2012, just took a flier that it would be the more recent one.
Sheepin' it real.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Well, the threshold thing threw me. B was the only one I could see fit that definition, although I figured out a couple of the others. Requiring both plaintiff and defendant for the SC ones limited my choices there.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Vanya wrote:Well, the threshold thing threw me. B was the only one I could see fit that definition, although I figured out a couple of the others. Requiring both plaintiff and defendant for the SC ones limited my choices there.
Typical me. In my attempt to clarify, I just make it more confusing. Sorry about that.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I would've picked Kelo, but that's all I could think of - Kelo. Couldn't come up with "v. New London".
Ditto. I knew it was in CT, but couldn't recall if it was v. the state (although I was pretty sure it wasn't) or the specific city.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

tjconn728 wrote: Question 9. Identify the television show that takes/took place in one of the fictional cities or towns below:

a. Pawnee, Indiana
b. Pine Valley, Pennsylvania
c. Arlen, Texas
d. Lanford, Illinois
e. Quahog, Rhode Island
f. Bon Temps, Louisiana
g. Cabot Cove, Maine
h. Point Place, Wisconsin
i. Sunnydale, California
j. Cicely, Alaska
k. Stars Hollow, Connecticut
l. Mayberry, North Carolina
Our only "perfect" question of the game, in that every answer was identified, there were no wrong answers, and there were no drops. So give yourselves a collective pat on the back for that. The downside to having no drops or wrong answers though, is that the sheep is bound to be larger, and as a result we have our first double digit sheep since question 1. But not the last...

C - King of the Hill (10 9 points)
Vermonter
hscer
A drop of golden sun
CheezeWhiz
dott888
esrever
Woppy T
whatisbishkek
jjwaymee
sarah0114

K - Gilmore Girls (8 7 points)
JoshuaRQI
gamawire
Fishercat
Kingrat47
eboettch
Christy
dnbguy
MarkBarrett

A - Parks and Recreation (5 4 points) (in my humble opinion, the best show on television right now)
mennoknight
jepkid97
barandall800
geolawyerman
Aardvark

G - Murder, She Wrote (5 points)
skullturf
Mathew5000
sillymonkey
Bamaman
ElendilPickle

J - Northern Exposure (5 4 points)
CoachP
Peachbox
immaf
Vanya
d4z

B - All my Children (3 2 points)
TheyCallMeMrKid
Binky
xxaaaxx

D - Roseanne (3 points)
debramc
nserven
goforthetie

H - That 70's Show (2 1 point)
Cat Hat
ihavejeoprosy

I - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2 1 point)
Bristle
Peggles

L - I was going for "The Andy Griffith Show," but both respondents chose "Mayberry R.F.D." (2 points)
Magna
econgator

E - Family Guy (1 point)
soxfan99

F - True Blood (1 point)
Leander
Last edited by tjconn728 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

tjconn728 wrote: L - I was going for "The Andy Griffith Show," but both respondents chose "Mayberry R.F.D." (2 points)
Magna
econgator
Trying to be cute and I cost myself a point. :)

(I assume you would have counted both shows separately?)