TD 199: ID 2: Merkel's Revenge

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 199: ID 2: Merkel's Revenge

Post by barandall800 »

Darn it, I was taking a guess on Lejeune, thinking the French-ish name had to do with Louisiana. Well, this shows how knowledgeable I am on military base locations...
tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by tjconn728 »

CheezeWhiz wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:
J. Toronto Blue Jays (2 points)
Mathew5000
geolawyerman
To be fair, this isn't a real picture of the Rogers' Centre, but a re-imagining of what it would look like with grass. Its much less attractive in its current state. Not sure if this actually threw people off, but it looks less grass-like, and has only sliding pits not a full dirt infield as the rest of the stadiums do.
Whoops, I should've known better. I certainly know that the Rogers Centre has turf, but I don't see it often enough that it immediately looked off to me. I must have picked that picture because it looked so much better than all the actual ones. My apologies to anyone who may have been led astray by this.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Through three rounds, no one's really been able to separate themself from the pack. Binky has a narrow lead, but plenty of players are right behind. The reveal continues tomorrow!

Scores after Round 3
47. dott888 26
46. econgator 26
45. skullturf 25
44. whatisbishkek 24
43. debramc 24
42. barandall800 23
41. ElendilPickle 23
40. immaf 23
39. jjwaymee 22
38. A drop of golden sun 22
37. Christy 21
36. Kingrat47 20
35. Leander 20
34. jepkid97 19
33. eboettch 19
32. Vanya 19
31. CheezeWhiz 18
30. TheyCallMeMrKid 18
29. sillymonkey 18
28. gamawire 18
27. sarah0114 17
26. Magna 17
25. soxfan99 17
24. Woppy T 17
23. Peggles 15
22. ihavejeoprosy 14
21. geolawyerman 14
20. Fishercat 13
19. MarkBarrett 13
18. Bamaman 13
17. xxaaaxx 13
16. dnbguy 13
15. nserven 13
14. d4z 12
13. Mathew5000 12
12. hscer 12
11. mennoknight 11
10. Peachbox 11
9. Aardvark 11
8. Cat Hat 11
7. goforthetie 9
6. esrever 8
5. Vermonter 8
4. CoachP 8
3. Bristle 8
2. JoshuaRQI 7
1. Binky 6
hscer

Post by hscer »

I think this is as well as I'm going to do. Not feeling well about 4-6.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

tjconn728 wrote:L. Schaf - sheep (3 points)
Ironic that this should be one of the less-popular answers!

For me, this was just a matter of guessing which ones would be the most and least popular answers. I picked Frage because it's not a cognate and not commonly used in English words or names (Wurst, Hund, Buch, Baum), and I figured people who didn't know German would pick one of those. I give myself about a C- on that.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I was going to pick buch, but figured most of us would know that one, so I went with fenster. :roll:
Cat Hat
Contributor

Post by Cat Hat »

Magna wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:L. Schaf - sheep (3 points)
Ironic that this should be one of the less-popular answers!
My entry contained this line:

"1. (l) Sheep (I don't think this answer will be a sheep!)"
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

tjconn728 wrote:As I learned last time I hosted when I had an identify the city by skyline question, Pittsburgh continues to be more recognizable than we all think it will be. But the good news is that even though it was the sheep, it didn't score too highly.
I'm not sure about other people, but I recognized Pittsburgh not by the skyline, but by the bridge. All of Pittsburgh sports teams have black and gold as colors, so the yellow bridge is a giveaway.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

soxfan99 wrote:I'm not sure about other people, but I recognized Pittsburgh not by the skyline, but by the bridge. All of Pittsburgh sports teams have black and gold as colors, so the yellow bridge is a giveaway.
I believe that "PNC Park" was pretty clear in the picture, for those who might know the names, but not recognize the stadiums or landmarks.
Sheepin' it real.
CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz »

tjconn728 wrote:
CheezeWhiz wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:
J. Toronto Blue Jays (2 points)
Mathew5000
geolawyerman
To be fair, this isn't a real picture of the Rogers' Centre, but a re-imagining of what it would look like with grass. Its much less attractive in its current state. Not sure if this actually threw people off, but it looks less grass-like, and has only sliding pits not a full dirt infield as the rest of the stadiums do.
Whoops, I should've known better. I certainly know that the Rogers Centre has turf, but I don't see it often enough that it immediately looked off to me. I must have picked that picture because it looked so much better than all the actual ones. My apologies to anyone who may have been led astray by this.
I can't argue with that logic. I only wish it looked as nice as it does in that photo. I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't thrown off. I just assumed anything Toronto would sheep or near-sheep like any other baseball question I've seen.
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze
Christy
Contributor

Post by Christy »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:I'm not sure about other people, but I recognized Pittsburgh not by the skyline, but by the bridge. All of Pittsburgh sports teams have black and gold as colors, so the yellow bridge is a giveaway.
I believe that "PNC Park" was pretty clear in the picture, for those who might know the names, but not recognize the stadiums or landmarks.
I didn't know it's called PNC Park, but I was another one who recognized Pittsburgh not by the skyline, but by the bridge.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Of course. I recognize the stadium just by the way it looks, so of course I get sheeped by people who ignored the stadium and recognized the bridge in the background, while the Blue Jays sneak past despite the damn maple leaf. Of course. OF COURSE... *sigh* :lol:
immaf

Post by immaf »

I truly thought that there wasn't a picture of Fenway among the group. Yes, one of them had a green wall, but many ballparks have walls and I'll bet a bunch of them are green. Looking at the rest of the picture -- no Citgo sign means it's not Boston. Sigh.

The only picture I recognized was the one with the St. Louis arch in the background. So I went with the near-sheep Cardinals. Sigh again.
Teems with quiet fun.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

immaf wrote:I truly thought that there wasn't a picture of Fenway among the group. Yes, one of them had a green wall, but many ballparks have walls and I'll bet a bunch of them are green. Looking at the rest of the picture -- no Citgo sign means it's not Boston. Sigh
If you look closely, you'll see the Citgo sign (at an angle) in the center of the photo.
immaf

Post by immaf »

I couldn't see anything closely in those pictures! Even the "view larger" didn't make things much larger.

But hey, at least I didn't get a wrong answer. That's pretty good, for me.
Teems with quiet fun.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

tjconn728 wrote:Question 4. Identify the artist who painted each of the following works of art:

BONUS: I will deduct two points off of your score if you can correctly identify the city in which the original version of the artwork is generally kept, disregarding any loans, travelling exhibits, or restoration work that may currently have it in a different location. In the case of one painting that was stolen and never recovered, name its last known location. There is no penalty for a wrong answer, but you must provide a correct answer to the main question to receive this bonus.
As someone who knows next to nothing about art, I wasn't sure how this one would play out. With no drops, only two incorrect (with one likely being a typo), and hitting all twelve answers, as a group you did pretty well here, especially considering how many of you were able to pick up the bonuses as well. The sheep was the second lowest scoring of the game, so there wasn't much of a spread between the highest and lowest scoring answers, but there were what I thought to be "obvious" answers at both ends of the spectrum, as well as more difficult ones, which was perhaps affected by players' ability to get the associated bonus answer.

G - Shephard Fairey - 6 5 points (Washington, DC - National Portrait Gallery)
Kingrat47
sarah0114
Magna
dnbguy
Cat Hat (-2)
CoachP

B - Johannes Vermeer - 5 4 points (The Hague - Mauritshuis)
eboettch
gamawire
Woppy T
mennoknight
Aardvark (-2)

D - Norman Rockwell - 5 4 points (Cooperstown, NY - National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum)
TheyCallMeMrKid (-2)
soxfan99
Bamaman
xxaaaxx (-2)
Binky (-2)

H- Grant Wood - 5 4 points (Chicago - Art Institute of Chicago)
jepkid97 (-2)
ElendilPickle (-2)
A drop of golden sun (-2)
Fishercat (-2)
esrever (-2)

L - Vincent Van Gogh - 5 4 points (Amsterdam - Van Gogh Museum)
Vanya (-2)
CheezeWhiz (-2)
MarkBarrett (-2)
goforthetie (-2)
Bristle (-2)

A - Edvard Munch - 4 points (Oslo - The National Gallery and The Munch Museum)
dott888
debramc (-2)
Peachbox
Vermonter

C - Sandro Botticelli - 4 points (Florence - Uffizzi Gallery)
econgator
immaf
jjwaymee
nserven

F - Leonardo da Vinci - 3 2 points (Milan - Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie)
Peggles
d4z (-2)
hscer

J - George W. Bush - 3 points (Dallas - George W. Bush Presidential Center)
whatisbishkek
ihavejeoprosy
Mathew5000

K - Georgia O'Keefe - 3 points (New York - The Brooklyn Museum)
barandall800
sillymonkey
JoshuaRQI (-2)

E - Rembrandt - 1 0 points (Boston - Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum)
Christy (-2)

I - Pieter Bruegel the Elder (Vienna - Kunsthistorisches Museum)
Leander (-2)

INCORRECT ANSWERS - 11 10 POINTS
skullturf - E - Théodore Géricault
geolawyerman - J - Pieter Bruegel the Elder (I'm sure that you meant to type "I" and didn't think that Bruegel the Elder painted Angela Merkel, tough break)
tjconn728 wrote:BONUS 2: For an additional two points off your score, identify the letter of the painting that was stolen in 1990 and has yet to be recovered. As with all thievery, this question has a risk/reward factor, as an incorrect answer will ADD two points to your score, regardless of whether you got the main question right or not.
This was an interesting bit of trivia that I came across while researching the question, so I thought I'd add it as a bonus. In addition to the correct answer, two of the other paintings I asked about have been stolen, most recently in 2004, and recovered. I tried to steer you away from negbait by including both the year and the fact that it has not been recovered, but a few still went for the others anyway.

CORRECT - E Rembrandt's The Storm on the Sea of Galilee (-2)
sarah0114
Cat Hat
gamawire
mennoknight
Aardvark
Binky
esrever
Bristle

Peggles
d4z
ihavejeoprosy
Christy (for a total score of -3 on the question!)

INCORRECT (+2)
Kingrat47 (A) - stolen and recovered in 1994, and stolen again in 2004 and recovered in 2006
ElendilPickle (A)
A drop of golden sun (A)
goforthetie (A)
debramc (A)
Magna (L) - stolen in 1991 and recovered 35 minutes later when the thieves abandoned it
Last edited by tjconn728 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

tjconn728 wrote: Question 5. Identify the month of the year when each of the following events take place annually:

a. Running of the Bulls in Pamplona
b. Boston Marathon
c. Sundance Film Festival
d. Guy Fawkes Night
e. Kentucky Derby
f. Daytona 500
g. End of Texas State Fair
h. Nobel Prizes Award Ceremony
i. South by Southwest Festival
j. PGA Championship
k. Summer solstice in northern hemisphere
l. Beginning of Munich's Oktoberfest
Half the answers scored you a sheep or near sheep, and the other half scored you a singleton or a doubleton. Generally, if stayed away from sports, you likely did pretty well here. The Running of the Bulls occurring during the entry period may have made it seem too obvious, which of course means that it scored well.

J - August (7 points)
geolawyerman
Woppy T
CheezeWhiz
MarkBarrett
dott888
JoshuaRQI
Kingrat47

D - November (6 points)
Peggles
ihavejeoprosy
eboettch
barandall800
Leander
Magna

I - March (6 points)
gamawire
mennoknight
CoachP
soxfan99
jepkid97
Fishercat

B - April (5 points)
dnbguy
Vermonter
hscer
whatisbishkek
ElendilPickle

E - May (5 4 points)
sarah0114
esrever
Bamaman
immaf
sillymonkey

F - February (5 4 points)
Bristle
xxaaaxx
Peachbox
econgator
nserven

A - July (2 1 point)
d4z
Vanya

C - January (2 1 point)
Binky
Mathew5000

L - September (2 points)
skullturf
debramc

G - October (1 0 points)
Cat Hat

H - December (1 0 points)
Aardvark

K - June (1 0 points)
Christy

INCORRECT - 12 POINTS
goforthetie (C - February)
A drop of golden sun (D - July)
TheyCallMeMrKid (F - May)
jjwaymee (G - September)
Last edited by tjconn728 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

INCORRECT ANSWERS - 11 POINTS
skullturf - E - Théodore Géricault
geolawyerman - J - Pieter Bruegel the Elder (I'm sure that you meant to type "I" and didn't think that Bruegel the Elder painted Angela Merkel, tough break)
It did look like the raft of the medusa from the thumbnail. You could see that it wasn't in the enlarged image.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

tjconn728 wrote: G - October (1 point)
Cat Hat
If I had participated this would have not been a singleton. The Texas State Fair is the happiest place on earth (or in Texas, at least).
Leander

Post by Leander »

I really need to read the questions. Came up with the stadium instead of the baseball team name, and totally overlooked the Gardner Museum bonus, which I also knew.