Friday, July 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6880, 2014-07-11

CONTESTANTS
Sandy Carroll, a retired teacher from Avoca, Iowa
Andrew Harris, a corporate intelligence analyst from New York, New York
Jen Fiero, a librarian from Jackson, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks.
If you were watching yesterday, you saw Jen not only happy that she won, but kind of surprised that she won. But she outdid herself and she won a lot of money. And today she defends against Sandy and Andrew. Let's see how it works out.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
7-11 (4/5)
LETTER AFTER P (5/5)
ON THE BALL (5/5)
A BOOKISH CATEGORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BEAUTY & SKIN CARE PRODUCTS (3/5)
PLANES OF YESTERYEAR (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jen: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sandy: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Jen had $200, Andrew had $400, and Sandy had nothing in the bank. Andrew wagered $1,000.

A BOOKISH CATEGORY $800: In 1974 he sued & stopped the sale of a book of his "complete uncollected short stories"
(Andrew: Who is Stephen King?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $3,000
Jen: $1,800
Sandy: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sandy Carroll is a retired teacher from Avoca, Iowa. And a retired teacher in what area?
Sandy: Music education.
Alex: And you taught that for how long?
Sandy: Uh, 34 years.
Alex: Wow. You were good at it, though, because you've won a number of awards, I understand.
Sandy: Well, one award, um, my --we all --we --my fourth grade students recognize the veterans every year in a Veteran's Day program. And the veterans were so appreciative that they nominated me for an award, which I won.
Alex: Terrific. Congratulations.
Sandy: Thank you.

Alex: Andrew Harris is from New York. Every four years in the Winter Olympics, one sport that gets a fair amount of attention Is curling.
Andrew: That's right, uh --
Alex: And it's a very important sport for you.
Andrew: It certainly is. That's how I learned about it, watching the Olympics. I got to college, saw an e-mail, "join the curling team." So I thought, "hey, why not?" practiced for a couple months. We went out to the national tournament. Uh, and we won the national championship for our division.
Alex: Were you --were you the skip, the lead, the vice skip, what?
Andrew: I was the second that year.
Alex: The second.
Andrew: And then skipped my next few years at nationals and realized, uh, it wasn't that easy and I wasn't that good. So... [ chuckles ]
Alex: But is it the sport itself that appealed to you? Or is the socializing that, uh, accompanies that sport?
Andrew: I don't think you can, uh, differentiate between the two.
Alex: Okay, they're both good.
Andrew: Right.

Alex: Jen Fiero is a librarian. She is our champion. And she was inspired by the royal wedding. I will assume Prince William and Kate?
Jen: Yes, yes.
Alex: And that inspired you in what way?
Jen: Um, I decided that we needed to have more hats. And so, uh, I had a group of friends that were getting, um, a couple friends of mine were getting married, and I decided we needed to wear hats to this wedding. So I bought a fascinator from the U.K. and I wore it and got a couple strange looks, but it was lovely, so...
Alex: Now if you want to shine where hats are also very important, go to the Kentucky Derby.
Jen: Yes. [ laughs ]
Alex: That's special. Great hats there.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A BOOKISH CATEGORY $600: This book by Malcolm Gladwell is subtitled "How Little Things Can Make A Big Difference"

BEAUTY & SKIN CARE PRODUCTS $400: 6-letter substance that can go on your oily face or under your waxy skis

BEAUTY & SKIN CARE PRODUCTS $800: Latin mollis, "soft", gives us the name of this type of skin product

7-11 $1000: July 11, 1274: this future king who will lead the Scots to freedom is born

PLANES OF YESTERYEAR $800: The first jet airliner to fly was this country's de Havilland Comet

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andrew: $5,400
Jen: $4,400
Sandy: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORKS OF ART (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COMMUNICATION (4/5)
THE 2 H CLUB (4/5)
DUSTIN HOFFMAN'S FILM ROLES (3/5)
18th CENTURY SCIENTISTS (3/5)
"L" ON EARTH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Jen: 6 R, 1 W
Sandy: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jen had $4,400, Andrew had $7,400, and Sandy was at $1,600. Andrew wagered $2,500.

WORKS OF ART $1600: Klimt's last major project was a set of murals in this type of design, containing pieces of glass, gems, gold & enamel

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Jen had $6,000, Andrew had $11,500, and Sandy had a deficit with -$400. Andrew wagered $4,000.

"L" ON EARTH $1600: Grand Duke Henri reigns in this European nation whose name means "little fortress"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORKS OF ART $800: Sculptures that turned heads because of this quality include ones of Aphrodite (350 B.C.) & Justin & Selena (2011)

WORKS OF ART $2000: Measuring over 6 feet by 9 feet, his "Pearblossom Hwy., #2", is a collage made up of more than 700 photographs

18th CENTURY SCIENTISTS $1600: Scottish chemist Joseph Black identified this 2-word gas, which he called "fixed air"

18th CENTURY SCIENTISTS $2000: In 1782 he became George III's court astronomer; his sister Caroline was the first woman to discover a comet
(Andrew: Who is Halley?)
(Sandy: Who is Newton?)

COMMUNICATION $1600: This type of radio whose name tells you it uses a certain range of frequencies has a long range, making it useful on a ship
(Jen: What is a ham radio?)
(Sandy: What is broadband?)

DUSTIN HOFFMAN'S FILM ROLES $1200: Hollywood producer Stanley Motss (1997)

THE 2 H CLUB $2000: It's what the 3-headed Cerberus is

DUSTIN HOFFMAN'S FILM ROLES $2000: Gimpy grifter Ratso Rizzo

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $16,700
Jen: $9,200
Sandy: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Andrew: Wager $1,701 to cover Jen, but no more than $7,899 so as not to fall behind Sandy's doubled score.
Jen: You have the hope of surpassing Andrew if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,501 to force Andrew to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Sandy.
Sandy: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Published in 1925, it still sells 500,000 copies a year & was on the bestseller lists in 2013

FINAL SCORES
Sandy: $4,400 + $4,000 = $8,400 (What is The Great Gatsby?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jen: $9,200 + $9,200 = $18,400 (What is The Great Gatsby) (2-day champion: $36,000)
Andrew: $16,700 - $1,700 = $15,000 (What is The Old Man + the Sea?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $14,400, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jen: $9,200, 15 R, 1 W
Sandy: $4,400, 7 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $28,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 23/61 = .377
Jen: 16/58 = .276
Sandy: 8/58 = .138
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LETTER AFTER P $200: In a message that's appended to a letter after the writer's signature
(Alex: No. [Looks at judges] We'll accept that? Okay.)

PLANES OF YESTERYEAR $200: The Grumman F3F, retired in 1943, was the U.S. Navy's last fighter that was this type of "plane" from the WWI era
(Andrew: What is a propellor plane?)

PLANES OF YESTERYEAR $400: The Lockheed D-21, with no pilot & designed to self-destruct, was a 1960s example of this type of plane now in the news
(Alex: We have less than a minute now)

COMMUNICATION $2000: An indicator such as a green light, or the name of the Army corps whose branch insignia is seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
J. D. Salinger
The Tipping Point
powder
emollient
Robert the Bruce
Great Britain
mosaic
Luxembourg
nudity
David Hockney
carbon dioxide
William Herschel
shortwave radio
Wag the Dog
hellhound
Midnight Cowboy
The Great Gatsby
P.S.
a biplane
a drone
signal
esrever
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "powder", "emollient", "England", "carbon dioxide", "shortwave"

Didn't get FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Despite Literature in the category title, I figured it had to be a non-fiction book to sell so consistently and went way off course with my answer (my girlfriend, who got this right, pointed out that high school English requirements do a lot for sales too).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Seem to be decent wagers, at a quick glance.

No guess on FJ.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Jen broke the lock on the next to last clue in DJ! in Hoffman film roles. The $2000 clue Ratso Rizzo for Midnight Cowboy will surprise some people as a TS. ANdrew wagered for the tie again today; another possibility of co-champs for the third time this week that didn't happen.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

For the $200 "letter after P" clue, it seemed that they were going for "S" as in "P.S" However, I said "O", because I was thinking "postscript". Judges?
Teems with quiet fun.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that this was a pretty crappy board and a crappy FJ clue.

I don't know how you were supposed to get to Salinger on the J! round DD, unless I missed something in the clue that would lead to a reclusive author. I was thinking Updike or Cheever, and went with the former.

Art is usually a good category for me but I went 2/5 in tonight's Art category. I never would have gotten "David Hockney" without a mention of swimming pools.

Halley was nasty negbait for Herschel. Yes, the clue was valued at $2000, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not the obvious one, especially when there is not a lot of other information in the clue that would seem helpful. I wouldn't have buzzed, since I was between Halley, Hubble, and Herschel, but still.

I never knew that "hellhound" was a word, but I was able to tease that one out.

I got FJ, but only because I knew that The Great Gatsby was published in 1925. Even though the contestants went 2/3 I still thought that it was a vague and trivial clue. The way that it was written made it sound like it has continually been a big seller since it was published, not that its popularity all of a sudden surged in recent years because of a movie or some other event. And even if you did interpret the clue to mean that there was a surge in recent years I still don't see how that would help. I really hate to see the male contestant lose on this clue.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Astonished that Midnight Cowboy was a triple stumper.

Ran the planes category.

I felt Jen was outclassed by the male contestant, but she got a break on the final category being right up her alley.
I like her a lot but I don't see her being able to close out the season.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

American Literature
Published in 1925, it still sells 500,000 copies a year & was on the bestseller lists in 2013.

Spoiler
What is The Great Gatsby? Andrew said The Old Man and the Sea.

Andrew Harris: $16,700-$1,700=$15,000
Jen Fiero: $9,200+$9,200=$18,400...now a 2-day champion with $36,000
Sandy Carroll: $4,400+$4,000=$8,400
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

StevenH wrote:Halley was nasty negbait for Herschel. Yes, the clue was valued at $2000, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not the obvious one, especially when there is not a lot of other information in the clue that would seem helpful. I wouldn't have buzzed, since I was between Halley, Hubble, and Herschel, but still.
I would have stayed clam on it because I thought it said the comet was named after someone's wife. That alone disqualified Halley for me.
This clue and/or Midnight Cowboy cost Andrew the lock game.

Seems like Midnight Cowboy came up in another clue in the last six weeks.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Yep, I was surprised that Midnight Cowboy was a triple stumper as well. Lach Trash: Robert the Bruce, shortwave, Wag the Dog, hell hound & Midnight Cowboy. Was a little too loose, so I got a couple wrong as well. Fell for Halley. Not sure what is considered neg bait, but the writers seemed to be begging to have lure someone into that one (e.g. British, astronomer, comet). That said, I'm sure that Hershel has made some great comet discoveries.

Instaget FJ. Years & time periods are important part of teasing it out. I remember DiCaprio movie.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

StevenH wrote:Halley was nasty negbait for Herschel. Yes, the clue was valued at $2000, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not the obvious one, especially when there is not a lot of other information in the clue that would seem helpful. I wouldn't have buzzed, since I was between Halley, Hubble, and Herschel, but still.

I got FJ, but only because I knew that The Great Gatsby was published in 1925. Even though the contestants went 2/3 I still thought that it was a vague and trivial clue. The way that it was written made it sound like it has continually been a big seller since it was published, not that its popularity all of a sudden surged in recent years because of a movie or some other event. And even if you did interpret the clue to mean that there was a surge in recent years I still don't see how that would help. I really hate to see the male contestant lose on this clue.
If you know William Herschel's sister Caroline was also a well-known astronomer, it's pretty easy. Another "thank you, Patrick O'Brian" clue for me. :) There's also an excellent book called The Age of Wonder which discusses the Herschels, among others.

I got FJ after thinking, "Was the book made into a movie last year?"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not really. Halley died around the time Herschel was born (and Hubble was American).
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

StevenH wrote:
I interpreted the clue as meaning that the book was already selling 500,000 copies a year and then received a boost in 2013 on top of that. I also knew that The Great Gatsby was published in 1925, but even if I hadn't, I think the clue was pretty easy to figure out.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

24 out of 60.

7-11: 4/5 P: 1/5 Ball: 2/5 Book: 2/5 Beauty: 0/5 Planes: 1/5
Art: 1/5 Comm: 1/5 2H: 3/5 Hoffman: 3/5 Scientists: 3/5 "L": 3/5

Lach trash: "Midnight Cowboy"

Instaget FJ- own the book, knew it came out in 1925, and knew about the recent movie.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

What recent movie? lol
I remember the movie from 40 years ago.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Category 13 wrote:Astonished that Midnight Cowboy was a triple stumper.

Ran the planes category.

I felt Jen was outclassed by the male contestant, but she got a break on the final category being right up her alley.
I like her a lot but I don't see her being able to close out the season.
The $1000 clue in planes was not exposed.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

My best category tonight was Dustin Hoffman Films, as I got 4/5. Disappointed that I only got 2/5 on the "On the Ball" category. When I saw the Beauty Skin Care category, I knew I'd get an 0-fer.
I thought this FJ was a very fair one. Unfortunately I got that wrong, I put "The Jungle"
Lach Trash: Shortwave, Wag the Dog, Midnight Cowboy
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Almost pre-called Midnight Cowboy. When I saw the category, first thought was, "I bet that movie he was in with Redford back in the 60s will be one of the bottom clues. Why can't I remember the name of it?" Never did pop into my head, then when it showed up at $2000, I cursed at the television.

For FJ, spent the commercial break thinking about what I had read in HS American Lit class. Didn't know the year like others did, but clue pointed me to think about a recent movie based on classic American novel, which quickly took me to Gatsby. Funny, Redford did a Gatsby movie, too.
Sheepin' it real.