TD 200: Lost (the TV series) Redux

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: TD 200 Lost (the TV series) Redux

Post by Magna »

Mathew5000 wrote: Some of the question numbers in the clarification post must be from an alternate reality (they don't correspond to the original question numbers).

Could you elaborate on the meaning of "time periods covered by the show" in Question 9?
Oops, busted! I misnumbered the explanations. I think it's fixed now - please let me know if it's not.

Sounds like maybe there's some confusion about "main timeline." (And who isn't confused by this show, honestly?) Here's a more detailed explanation. The show's main timeline is the one where people survived the Oceanic flight 815 crash on the island. All events shown on screen leading up to that event, and following that event (until just before the church scene) are part of the main timeline. From the point of view of someone living in that reality, the "flash sideways" events, in an alternate timeline where the plane didn't crash, aren't real - they're some kind of alternate reality, and those don't count as part of the show's "main timeline." (I realize there was a lot of speculation by fans about whether the plane really crashed, leaving survivors, or whether this was all some kind of hallucination/purgatory/hell/allegory/etc., but for purposes of this TD, assume that it did.) Clear?
Last edited by Magna on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: TD 200: Lost (the TV series) Redux

Post by ElendilPickle »

A drop of golden sun wrote:This Quiz is not fun at all for anybody who never watched any of the show Lost. What is the point? You seem to assume that everybody watched it. Or is willing to play a game in a way that involves no skill, knowledge, or deliberation.
TDs are for those who choose to participate. I'm not a soccer fan, so I didn't participate in the recent World Cup TD. I'm not about to stomp my dainty little foot and pitch a fit because someone dared to design a TD that I would know nothing about.

If you don't care for this one, just wait. You'll find one that interests you. Of course, you can also feel free to write one yourself.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

immaf wrote:
But I don't quite get the point of entering at all if you press the button every time. Obviously you're perfectly entitled to do that if you choose, but why even bother then?
In my case, it was curiosity. I thought I would be the only one to do so. And just because I could. :-)

I don't mind coming in last during TD's. I'm accustomed to it.
Pretty much why I did it. There was one TD recently that had unlimited drops with a preset score for each one. I thought about dropping the whole quiz just for fun, but answered anyway because I knew answers to most of the questions.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

gamawire wrote:
Peggles wrote:I'll have to pass on this TD. I watched Lost for a couple of seasons, but then it got too weird for me. I remember a few of the major characters, but that's about all. I would be pushing the button for almost every question.
If I played, I would have to push the button on EVERY question since I've never seen the show! :lol:

I finally read over the questions, and there was actually one I could answer (because of a different show, of course), so I only pushed the button for 13 questions!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bonus question*

The first one to post a correct Jeopardy-style response to this clue gets -1 from his/her final score:
Desmond was absent from the hatch and returned too late to push the button on schedule, resulting in the release of a lot of electromagnetic energy which caused a midair breakup.

*This counts as one of the tiebreaker bonus questions.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

Magna wrote:Bonus question*

The first one to post a correct Jeopardy-style response to this clue gets -1 from his/her final score:
Desmond was absent from the hatch and returned too late to push the button on schedule, resulting in the release of a lot of electromagnetic energy which caused a midair breakup.

What is true?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

BobF wrote:

What is true?
EXACTLY what I was thinking. :lol:
Sheepin' it real.
BobF

Post by BobF »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
BobF wrote:

What is true?
Yes, I think one of his (her?) the uses should be a this.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Spoiler
Why did Oceanic 815 crash?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

What is the reason Oceanic Flight 815 crashed?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

BobF wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
BobF wrote:
BobF wrote:What is true?
Yes, I think one of his (her?) the uses should be a this.
Um, I don't understand any of this, so I award you each a quizzical look followed by an "Ooh, sorry" from Alex. :)

ETA: I think I understand the confusion now. The entire sentence was a description of the reason for the plane crash that started it all. The reason wasn't revealed until much later, though. Btw, I'm a "he." :)
Last edited by Magna on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Mathew5000 wrote:
Spoiler
Why did Oceanic 815 crash?
Yes, correct for a -1 bonus!

Sorry, ElendilPickle - you were a smidge too late.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bonus*
You know from the "Push the button" answer on question 1 that the character of Jack appeared in every season. In fact, he appeared in more regular broadcast episodes than any other character. For a bonus of -1, how many? (I may help out with occasional hints.)

*A correct answer on this bonus counts towards the tiebreaker.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Magna wrote:Bonus*
You know from the "Push the button" answer on question 1 that the character of Jack appeared in every season. In fact, he appeared in more regular broadcast episodes than any other character. For a bonus of -1, how many? (I may help out with occasional hints.)

I know this, but it was from research (curiosity seeing if I was right on the few I answered) after submitting my entry, so you may disqualify me
Spoiler
Whoops, the answer I got from IMDB was for another character. *blush*
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

BobF wrote:I know this, but it was from research (curiosity seeing if I was right on the few I answered) after submitting my entry, so you may disqualify me
Spoiler
I wouldn't disqualify you for research that wasn't aimed at answering this question. But the answer is wrong - sorry, too high. (ETA: I see you realized this.)

Guessing can continue! Multiple guesses are OK, so BobF you can guess again. But before submitting a subsequent guess, everyone has to wait for a response (no fair typing the numbers 1 to 118 as your guesses! ;))

ETA: BobF pointed out that one authority has the numbers higher, but for this question I'm going to rely on the same source as I did for question 1. I think the discrepancy may be due to special episodes, or to actors' being credited as appearing in an episode for contractual or legal reasons. You may remember, for example, that each episode began with a "Previously on Lost" recap with footage from older shows. It might be that in the source BobF looked at earlier, actors who appeared in that got an episode credit even if they weren't in the main episode.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Spoiler
87?
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

gamawire wrote:
Spoiler
87?
Higher.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Magna wrote:
BobF wrote:I know this, but it was from research (curiosity seeing if I was right on the few I answered) after submitting my entry, so you may disqualify me
Spoiler
I wouldn't disqualify you for research that wasn't aimed at answering this question. But the answer is wrong - sorry, too high. (ETA: I see you realized this.)

Guessing can continue! Multiple guesses are OK, so BobF you can guess again. But before submitting a subsequent guess, everyone has to wait for a response (no fair typing the numbers 1 to 118 as your guesses! ;))
As that would have been my strategery, I'm bowing out. Hope everyone has an awesome weekend.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Spoiler
Sheepin' it real.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Spoiler