Guesstimania -- Survivor Edition

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Guesstimania -- Survivor Edition

Post by jjwaymee »

MarkBarrett wrote:Damn! I Weikled myself in having 99,999,999 on my paper, but sending 9,999,999 when I typed it in the PM. That's what I get for not taking five seconds to look over my answers.

If it's any consolation...
Spoiler
You would have been eliminated on the next question anyway. That is, unless you Weikle'd that one too!
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Question 4: What is the length, in words, of the longest of the eight sentences that comprised Molly Bloom's soliloquy in the eighteenth and final "episode" of the novel Ulysses?

Last Friday your humble host wrote,
I doubt very seriously that anybody knows the exact number for any of these questions.
...and now I get to eat some crow.

The Answer: 4391 words

With the ONLY perfect answer that anyone provided to any question in Stage One, this Immunity Cliff Notes version of Ulysses (featuring shorter sentences!) goes to...

Joy (guess (but not really a guess): 4391 words)

The Other Survivors

Cat Hat -- 4000
Aardvark (I) -- 5000
econgator (I) -- 3635
esrever (I) -- 3500
gem -- 3222
Alyssa -- 2884
Vanya (II) -- 1420
gamawire -- 900
Caboom -- 832
Kingrat47 -- 8000
Rackme32 -- 578
Bamaman -- 8407
JoshuaRQI -- 333

Eliminated

tjconn728 -- 289
LumosityFan -- 250
TheyCallMeMrKid -- 227
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Question 5: What is the population of Quetzaltenango (more commonly known as Xela), the second largest city in Guatemala?

When creating this game, I really thought that someone who had previously won Immunity would have to use it by this point. Am I right?

The Answer: 224,703

The winner of this Immunity 1/4 Quetzal coin is...

gem (guess: 222,222)

The Other Survivors

Alyssa -- 199,241
esrever (I) -- 180,000
Aardvark (I) -- 163,000
econgator (I) -- 298,987
Cat Hat -- 300,000
Joy (I) -- 300,000
Kingrat47 -- 400,000
Caboom -- 400,000
Vanya (II) -- 420,000
Rackme32 -- 500,000

Eliminated

JoshuaRQI -- 600,000
gamawire -- 800,000
Bamaman -- 4,382,502

Fifteen down and four more to go before the end of Stage One. All Immunities are still unused. The results of the last two questions will be revealed tomorrow.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess picking a large number for the population of a city you've never heard of is a bad idea.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jjwaymee wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Damn! I Weikled myself in having 99,999,999 on my paper, but sending 9,999,999 when I typed it in the PM. That's what I get for not taking five seconds to look over my answers.

If it's any consolation...
Spoiler
You would have been eliminated on the next question anyway. That is, unless you Weikle'd that one too!
Yes, knowing I was soon on my way out anyway was comforting.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

I thought I might be eliminated in Q4, but it turned out Q5 was a closer call.
I'm fairly happy with my upcoming answer for Q6, considering I really had no clue on how big lake Tahoe is. Estimated (guessed) the surface area to be 25x50=1250km2 (it's actually 490) and average depth to be between 50-100m (it's actually 300m), so unless I made a math error, I should be ok there. Would have gotten closer if I didn't remember a gallon to be 5L instead of 3.8L (well, the British gallon is 4.546L).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I guess picking a large number for the population of a city you've never heard of is a bad idea.
I got lucky in completely underestimating the population of Guatemala (I was guessing about 1/3 of its actual 15M).
Caboom wrote:I thought I might be eliminated in Q4, but it turned out Q5 was a closer call.
I'm fairly happy with my upcoming answer for Q6, considering I really had no clue on how big lake Tahoe is. Estimated (guessed) the surface area to be 25x50=1250km2 (it's actually 490) and average depth to be between 50-100m (it's actually 300m), so unless I made a math error, I should be ok there. Would have gotten closer if I didn't remember a gallon to be 5L instead of 3.8L (well, the British gallon is 4.546L).
I had the surface area just about dead on (190 sq. mi. v 191.6 actual). The depth, however ... I may have been off by a factor of 10 or so ....
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I had said nobody lives in that city I'd still be in the game.
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

It's interesting - of the eleven players left, six have immunities. I wonder which of the five of us who don't will be the one to survive? I strongly, strongly doubt it will be me.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Question 6: How many gallons of water are in Lake Tahoe?

I thought that asking this question was a bit of risk. It's such a large number that it's hard to wrap your head around. Overall, I think that it turned out fairly well.
FWIW, I tried to answer it myself before I looked it up. I estimated about 1 cubic mile for the volume (didn't realize how deep it is). I know that there are about 7 gallons in a cubic foot, so I multiplied 5280 x 5280 x 5280 x 7 to get from cubic miles to cubic feet to gallons.

The Answer: 36 cubic miles, which is 39,640,220,060,221 gallons

The winner of this Immunity gallon jug is...

Cat Hat (guess: 50,000,000,000,000 gallons)

The Other Survivors

gem (I) -- 22,000,000,000,000
Caboom -- 19,000,000,000,000
Aardvark (I) -- 10,000,000,000,000
Joy (I) -- 9,996,000,000,000
esrever (I) -- 4,800,000,000,000
Alyssa -- 975,000,000,000
econgator (I) -- 225,000,000,000

Saved by Immunity

Vanya (II) -- 210,000,000,000,000 (Vanya loses one Immunity, but advances)

Eliminated

Rackme32 -- 20,000,000,000
Kingrat47 -- 10,000,000,000

Unfortunately there isn't much drama for the last question, so the reveal is coming soon.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Question 7: How many iPhones were sold worldwide in the year 2013?

When I was designing this game I really didn't envision that 1) a total of 7 people would have an Immunity after six question and 2) it would take until question six for the first Immunity to be used. If I do it again I will need to tweak the format a bit.

I also did not have a contingency for the situation that has arisen - one of those two people without Immunity has earned one on this question and, since there are seven other Immune people, I can't eliminate two people. As a result, there will be eight people advancing to Stage Two.

The Answer: 150,200,000 iPhones

The winner of this Immunity broken iPhone is...

Caboom (guess: 98,000,000)

The Other Survivors

econgator (I) -- 63,947,003
Vanya (I) -- 4,200,000
Aardvark (I) -- 333,000,000
Cat Hat (I) -- 350,000,000
esrever (I) -- 410,000,000
gem (I) -- 422,222,222

Saved By Immunity

gem(I) -- 422,222,222 (gem has no Immunity remaining)
Joy (I) -- 500,000,000 (Joy has no Immunity remaining)

Eliminated

Alyssa -- 374,000,000

Instructions and the first questions for Stage Two soon to follow.

***edited because Caboom is correct; gem loses her Immunity for being second-to-last on the the question***
Last edited by jjwaymee on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jjwaymee wrote:When I was designing this game I really didn't envision that 1) a total of 7 people would have an Immunity after six question and 2) it would take until question six for the first Immunity to be used. If I do it again I will need to tweak the format a bit.

I also did not have a contingency for the situation that has arisen - one of those two people without Immunity has earned one on this question and, since there are seven other Immune people, I can't eliminate two people. As a result, there will be eight people advancing to Stage Two.
Live and learn, eh? :)
BobF

Post by BobF »

jjwaymee wrote:When I was designing this game I really didn't envision that 1) a total of 7 people would have an Immunity after six question and 2) it would take until question six for the first Immunity to be used. If I do it again I will need to tweak the format a bit.

I like the format, so I think it's definitely something I'd like to see used again. So, here is what I would propose - either first person to submit top guess is the ONLY person to get immunity or a bonus question as a tie breaker. To wit: What was the total gross of 2007's Knocked Up? Bonus tiebreaker question: What was its listed running time in minutes? or What was its first weekend's gross? Or What was its exact release date?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Guesstimania: Survivor Edition
Stage Two

Congratulations to our Surviving Seven Eight!

Aardvark (I)
Caboom (I)
Cat Hat (I)
econgator (I)
esrever (I)
gem (I) (gem lost Immunity on Q7)
Vanya (I)
Joy

As you can see, Joy and gem is are the only survivors who do not hold an Immunity. That puts her them at a bit of a disadvantage, but we will see how it plays out. Here is how the next stage will work:

-You will provide guesses to all four of these following questions to me via PM.
-One person will be eliminated after each question.
-You can elect to use Immunity on any given question. When you do, you will answer with the word, "Immunity". You do not need to provide a guess. Your only two options are to provide a guess or use the Immunity. Obviously, if you use the Immunity you will advance to the following question.
-You MUST use Immunity for one of THESE four question because it expires when we get to the Final Four.

Good luck!

Q1: What is the length, in feet, of the Golden Gate Bridge?
Q2: How many employees does Amazon.com have, per its July 2014 press release of 2nd Quarter 2014 financial results?
Q3: How many Hogwarts students were members of Dumbledore's Army, according to the Harry Potter wiki website?
Q4: What is the sum total official seating capacity of every NFL stadium that was used in the 2013 regular season? (Do not include London's Wembley Stadium. I am not considering it an NFL stadium. One team played home games at two different stadiums. Count BOTH of them for this question.)

Provide your responses to me via PM by Monday, July 28 at 1200 EDT. If you need more time because of extenuating circumstances, I can be flexible. Just let me know. If everybody answers earlier than that, I will start the reveal earlier.
Last edited by jjwaymee on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Do you count stadiums that house multiple teams only once?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Shouldn't gem have lost his/her immunity in Q7 as well? S/he was 2nd to last in it, so s/he and Joy would have been eliminated, if not for the immunities.

Here's my view on how the immunities should have been applied: when you are saved by an immunity, nobody else gets punished for it on that question. Instead, an extra person will be eliminated on the next question. It's pretty unfair that Alyssa could have been second closest on the final question and still s/he would have been eliminated.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Caboom wrote:Shouldn't gem have lost his/her immunity in Q7 as well? S/he was 2nd to last in it, so s/he and Joy would have been eliminated, if not for the immunities.
You are correct. That was an oversight on my part. I have edited the results of Q7 to show that gem loses Immunity.
Caboom wrote:Here's my view on how the immunities should have been applied: when you are saved by an immunity, nobody else gets punished for it on that question. Instead, an extra person will be eliminated on the next question. It's pretty unfair that Alyssa could have been second closest on the final question and still s/he would have been eliminated.
Good observation. That's a change I can/will make for the next time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So the only way to be able to use the immunity is to declare it? A player holding immunity who has the worst guess is out of the game? I know I'm not playing, just wanted to know.

I can't believe a problem came up that was unforseen by the quizmaster. That has never happened on one of our games before. ;)
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

BobF wrote:Do you count stadiums that house multiple teams only once?
Yes. A stadium that hosts multiple teams is only counted once.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BobF wrote:Do you count stadiums that house multiple teams only once?
I think one team also played some home games at an alternate stadium as well. Do both of them count?