2014 Teen Tournament Wild Card Standings (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Re: 2014 Teen Tournament Wild Card Standings (SPOILERS)

Post by Lumosityfan »

Bumping to announce the elimination of Nikki and Kevin from wild-card contention and the clinching of the first two wildcards: Jeff :mrgreen: and Kat.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Spoiling Teen Tourney results, from the same folks who spoiled the length of Arthur Chu's run? I am astonished.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

At least they removed the spoilers (although it still says who won each game, just not the wildcards).
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

I think you have a mistake with Ananya Nrusimha's score - she wagered $8,699, not $8,601 (the final total is correct though).
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Anyone who plays in any tournament would do well to take a couple of minutes to acquaint themselves with the probability curve: experimental probability of getting a wild card spot in the semifinals as a function of final score, based on historical data from previous tournaments. Having seen the 1st four quarterfinal matches, it now appears it would have been prudent for both Alan and Ananya to bet $0 in their Final Jeopardy! on Thursday's game because the wild card cutoff will be no higher than $9000 (anybody who can beat $9000 will get a wild card spot).
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Are the players in the tournament allowed to see the games before theirs, so that the ones later in the week have an advantage in knowing what they need to do to get a wildcard? Or are they kept backstage and in the dark until all the preliminary round games are finished?
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

tjconn728 wrote:Are the players in the tournament allowed to see the games before theirs, so that the ones later in the week have an advantage in knowing what they need to do to get a wildcard? Or are they kept backstage and in the dark until all the preliminary round games are finished?
The contestants who haven't played are kept in the green room and are not allowed to see or hear anything that happens before they play.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lumosityfan wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:Are the players in the tournament allowed to see the games before theirs, so that the ones later in the week have an advantage in knowing what they need to do to get a wildcard? Or are they kept backstage and in the dark until all the preliminary round games are finished?
The contestants who haven't played are kept in the green room and are not allowed to see or hear anything that happens before they play.
They turned the green room into a deprivation chamber? That could be better than some of the movie selections I've read about over the years. You were lucky to get out early.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Lumosityfan wrote:
That fact should be quite obvious judging by last night's wagers. :-)
One of those leading two should have "pulled a Jeff Xie" :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BobF wrote: That fact should be quite obvious judging by last night's wagers. :-)
One of those leading two should have "pulled a Jeff Xie" :-)
Read only if you have seen Thursday's game.
Spoiler
So they should have said mugge for their response?
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Bumping to announce the official wild-cards, and clinching of wild-card for Sam and Joe. Congrats!
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Good job Jeopardy! website for ruining any suspense when it comes to the wild cards.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Like I was saying in the Thursday QF thread, Kevin getting the last $2000 DJ clue would not have guaranteed him a wildcard spot. Nor Ananya if she one-upped his hypothetical improved Final Score.

In case you're wondering, I never visited the Tournament website.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If he gets that last clue and doubles up in FJ, he wins the last wild card by $400. Or she gets it by betting to stay above his maximum score.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

Category 13 wrote:Like I was saying in the Thursday QF thread, Kevin getting the last $2000 DJ clue would not have guaranteed him a wildcard spot. Nor Ananya if she one-upped his hypothetical improved Final Score.

In case you're wondering, I never visited the Tournament website.
Hmm? Getting that clue would have given him $14,800 with an all-in FJ wager. The fourth wildcard was $14,400, so if Ananya had still bet to stay above Kevin on a miss, she would have been guaranteed a spot in that scenario (not that she would have known it, of course).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote:Spoiling Teen Tourney results, from the same folks who spoiled the length of Arthur Chu's run? I am astonished.
They spoil games every week in the commercial they show, which I think is also on the web site. I never go to the site because of things like that.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Lumosityfan wrote:Bumping to announce the official wild-cards, and clinching of wild-card for Sam and Joe. Congrats!
The names of my two teenage sons! Alas, I'm related to neither of those contestants.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!