Tuesday, July 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

World Landmarks
Built for a World's Fair in 1889, its visitors that year included the Prince of Wales & Buffalo Bill; it still gets 7 million a year.

Spoiler
What is the Eiffel Tower? Erin said the London Eye; Jeff said the Eiffe Tower, leaving off an "l" and was ruled incorrect.

Jeff Xie: $19,000-$0=$19,000
Selena Groh: $14,000+$6,000=$20,000...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Erin Christopher: $9,400-$400=$9,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Good job, Jeff!!!
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I assume Jeff absolutely dominates? It would be great if he did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Very good game, I'd say the difficulty level is comparable (but a little easier than, if my Coryats are any story) Monday's show. I'm sure this is the first time I've seen the tape date mentioned in the show to mention a fact that changed between tape and first airing - this may also be the first time a fact has changed between tape and first air, but that I don't know.

I was definitely rooting for Jeff: a) a boardie (and it showed! Played the game well) and b) a fellow speech-impediment person (way to give the rest of us hope, Jeff! I appreciate it!), but Selena is a Nerdfighter, and that's cool too! (I've also long been a fan of John and Hank Green's videos on YouTube, but lately it seems that the demographic is much more in the teen years, and the videos seem to reflect that. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I wish more teens would get into that, but me not being a teen means I'm not watching as much vlogbrothers as I used to.) Good to see that most likely they'll both make the semis!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Anyone else wondering if there was a technical malfunction at the end?
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

NYCScribbler wrote:Anyone else wondering if there was a technical malfunction at the end?
I am curious, looking forward to see what Jeff has to say about it. He clearly seemed surprised, but I loved how he laughed it off. Great job Jeff!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Yay Jeff! Sucks about the Eiffe Tower thing, but that's a strong score and I'd be shocked if you didn't advance. Did your pen malfunction?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

An absolute blast to watch, early on they seemed more nervous than a weeks worth of contestants put together, but settled in for a great game.

Congrats and good luck Jeff! Good FJ wager; I would be shocked if 19k wasn't enough for a wild card.

Instaget FJ (with the L ;) )
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congratulations, Jeff, on your excellent performance! I think you will earn a Wild Card spot.

Picked up Lach trash - Volvo, "Roots", signet.

Got FJ.
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

zakharov wrote:Yay Jeff! Sucks about the Eiffe Tower thing, but that's a strong score and I'd be shocked if you didn't advance. Did your pen malfunction?
I actually have no clue. When I was on stage for the Final, I wrote down "Eiffel" and thought the "l" registered, but when I looked up at the reveal, I was shocked to see it wasn't there. (It must have been something wrong with the board, because you can clearly see the bottom of the l, which shows that I intended to write the l but couldn't.) Anyway, it wouldn't have mattered in the end. :mrgreen:
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
McJagger
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by McJagger »

I think Jeff made the smartest decision he could have made. Trying to shoot for a guaranteed first and failing would have excluded him from Wild Card consideration. His score now makes it highly likely he will reach the semifinals.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I couldn't figure out the point of including the info on Buffalo Bill and the Prince of Wales in the FJ clue. If anything, it might misdirect you.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Lumosityfan wrote:
zakharov wrote:Yay Jeff! Sucks about the Eiffe Tower thing, but that's a strong score and I'd be shocked if you didn't advance. Did your pen malfunction?
I actually have no clue. When I was on stage for the Final, I wrote down "Eiffel" and thought the "l" registered, but when I looked up at the reveal, I was shocked to see it wasn't there. (It must have been something wrong with the board, because you can clearly see the bottom of the l, which shows that I intended to write the l but couldn't.) Anyway, it wouldn't have mattered in the end. :mrgreen:
I guess you could have challenged it, but since you bet 0 (wisely), not much point. Congrats again on a great game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It looked like there was a mark that was supposed to be an l. I'd have taken it, but it didn't matter either way. You certainly handled it with class.

I liked your zero bet. You had a bare lock over third and $19,000 should be good for a wild card. I also liked Selena's bet. It locks out Erin if she is right and still has $8,000 if she is wrong.

Not a fan of Erin's bet, basically standing pat at $9,000 isn't going to help, but missing FJ makes the small bet look better.

I got it right, but it took a bit. I figured it wasn't in the U.S. or England based on the people mentioned in the clue. I had no idea when it was built, but a famous tall structure, most likely in Europe, led me to Paris.
Will33
Contributor

Post by Will33 »

Did Jeff win? From what it seems he didnt or the winners aren't assured in now?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Will33 wrote:Did Jeff win? From what it seems he didnt or the winners aren't assured in now?
Jeff came in second after standing pat on Final. He scored $19k which should be enough for a Wild Card spot. No guarantees yet.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Great job, Jeff!

This was another enjoyable board. As expected, I went 0/5 in the Katy Perry category.

My precalls for FJ were the Eiffel Tower and the Great Wall of China. The year looked right for the Eiffel Tower, but I second guessed myself because I didn't think that the two names that were mentioned in the clue made sense for it. Luckily, I still stuck with my first instinct.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

I believe umosityFan has done enough to make it through, and had there been a relevant wager, things may have been handled differently.