TD 207: A Tour Across the Game Show Timeline 2

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 207: A Tour Across the Game Show Timeline 2

Post by lieph82 »

Welcome to TD 207, your second chronological tour of the game show world!

Here are some rules, general guidelines, and useful information. There are a lot of them, and if you've played TDs before, you're familiar with most of them. A lot of them are unchanged from my previous TD, TD 193. Unspoiler below to read them all, but if you're going to skim, the ones that are TD-207 specific are:

#s 4 and 18 for rules
#s 8, 9, 10 for helps

Feel free to skip the intros to each question (the actual questions are in red), but hints abound!

Deadline: Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 at 11:59 PM EDT. PM me answers, don't post them anywhere on this board.

Sorry about this one, but in light of recent events:
You can only participate in this TD if:
a) you are in good standing with the jboard.tv community AND
b) you have 20 posts (some on-topic) or have played in a TD before. Permission to enter this quiz can be denied at the discretion of the quizmaster.

Rules:
Spoiler
1. Please private message me your answers by Wednesday September 10th, 2014 at 11:59 PM EDT. Do not post them in this thread or anywhere else on this board.

2. You can only participate in this TD if:
a) you are in good standing with the jboard.tv community AND
b) you have 20 posts (some on-topic) or have played in a TD before. Permission to enter this quiz can be denied at the sole discretion of the quizmaster.

2. Your objective for each question is to provide the correct answer that you believe will be the least popular.

3. You are to work individually on the questions and you can only use the information stored in your brain. No intentional outside research is allowed. If you happen to incidentally stumble onto an answer between your reading of the questions and your submission of answers, using that answer is perfectly acceptable. You may only enter this game once, with one jboard.tv account.

4. Use of a calculator is not permitted on this TD.

5. You may only give one answer for each question.

6. CORRECT answers score the number of players who give that answer.

7. INCORRECT answers score the SHEEP (most popular correct answer for that question) + 20% of the number of entrants, rounded to the nearest whole number.

8. You may, but are not required to, PASS one question, which will score 5% of the number of entrants, rounded to the nearest whole number. Mark it "PASS", and do not give an answer.

9. You may, but are not required to, PRESS YOUR LUCK on one question, which will score either the median points scored by players who gave a correct response to the question (50% probability), 1 point (10% probability), 2 points (10% probability), the points scored by a randomly chosen correct answer not necessarily given by participants (10% probability), or an incorrect answer called a WHAMMY (20% probability). Bonuses won't be considered in calculating the median or the points scored by a randomly chosen correct answer. This will be determined using a random number generator--screenshots will be available upon request. Singletons, doubletons, etc. scored using this help will not count towards a tiebreak, and use of PYL will not affect the scores of other participants. Mark it "PRESS YOUR LUCK" or "PYL", and do not give an answer.

10. You may, but are not required to, use a DAILY DOUBLE on one question. Mark it "YOUR ANSWER (DAILY DOUBLE)". (thanks to Mathew5000 for helping me tweak this)
/////If you pick a correct answer that, including yourself, scores less than or equal to 50% of the SHEEP, you will score the normal number of points for your answer minus 50% of the SHEEP score.
/////If you pick a correct answer that, including yourself, scores greater than 50% of the SHEEP, you will score the normal number of points for your answer plus 50% of the SHEEP score.
/////If you pick an incorrect answer, you will score the SHEEP + 30% of the number of entrants, rounded to the nearest whole number.

11. Blank answers will be considered incorrect.

12. If you try to use PASS, PRESS YOUR LUCK, or DAILY DOUBLE more than once, only the first usage will count. The other question(s) will be scored normally. Only one help can be used per question.

13. Following some questions, there are mini questions labeled BONUS. If you answer a BONUS mini question correctly, a point or points will be subtracted from your score for the preceding question. Exactly how many points will be subtracted is explained after each mini question. You do not need to answer the preceding question correctly to be eligible for the BONUS. Whether you give an incorrect answer, correct answer, or use a help on the preceding question, you are eligible for the BONUS. Unless otherwise stated, you may only give one answer for each BONUS mini question. There is no penalty for answering a BONUS question incorrectly.

14. Following some questions, there are mini questions labeled NESTED BONUS. These are like the BONUS mini questions, but your answers to them are predicated on your answer to the previous question. Thus, you need to answer the preceding question correctly in order to be eligible for the NESTED BONUS. If you use PASS or PRESS YOUR LUCK for the preceding question, you are not eligible for the NESTED BONUS. Please do not answer a NESTED BONUS mini question if you did not give an answer to the preceding question. If you use DAILY DOUBLE for the preceding question and give a correct answer, you are eligible for the NESTED BONUS. Unless otherwise stated, you may only give one answer for each NESTED BONUS mini question. There is no penalty for answering a NESTED BONUS question incorrectly.

15. Spelling is not important as long as you're close, but pay close attention to the instructions. If a response needs to be a certain number of letters long or needs to contain certain letters, any spelling must conform to these rules if it is to be considered correct. For some questions, full names or titles are required. Nicknames are acceptable for first names, but not for last names. I will be flexible, but you can save yourself from my judgment by spelling your answers as close to correctly as you can.

16. Scoring is additive. In case of a tie, the player with the greatest number of singletons comes out on top. If it's still a tie, we go to number of doubletons, tripletons, etc. There is a bonus question in there somewhere that introduces fractional points, so I hope this will help us avoid tie situations.

17. Please send your answers to me in the following format (this is just an example; obviously you don't have to use your helps on the same questions):
1: Answer
-Answer to NESTED BONUS
-Answer to BONUS
2: Answer
3. Answer
4. PRESS YOUR LUCK
5. PASS
-Answer to NESTED BONUS
6. Answer (DAILY DOUBLE)
etc.

18. You can change your answers up until any point before the deadline, as long as you do no intentional research before resubmitting. I might ask for clarifications to your answers, or for you to be more specific, so please do not look up answers until after I respond to your PM--I promise I will!

19. Feel free to post questions or requests for clarification in this thread, or PM me. I'm on Israel time (7 hours ahead of Eastern time), so I might not respond right away.

20. Have fun and good luck!
Last edited by lieph82 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lieph82

Re: TD 207: A Tour Across the Game Show Timeline 2

Post by lieph82 »

Questions:
Spoiler
1. Beat the Clock (1950)
Let's start with a genre classic which ran for 18 seasons in various incarnations, Beat the Clock. Bud Collyer, Jack Narz, Gene Wood, Monty Hall, and Gary Kroeger assigned fun, low-budget tasks that needed to be completed in some short amount of time. Today, you'll need to give me the name of an actress that has beaten the clock in some way at the Academy Awards.

Name one of the 6 oldest or 6 youngest winners of the Academy Award for Best Actress, based on their age at the time they received the awards.

-Each actress only occupies one spot on the list, even if they won multiple Academy Awards for Best Actress at ages that would qualify them for multiple spots on the list.

-The actresses earned their spots on the list for movies released (in no particular order) in 1930, 1986, 2012, 2011, 1953, 2006, 1989, 1943, 1968/1981, 1927/1928, 1941, and 1985.

-Shirley Booth is 7th on the oldest list, at 54 years, 201 days. Julie Christie is 7th on the youngest list, at 25 years, 4 days.

There are 12 valid answers to this question.

NESTED BONUS (Hollywood Showdown):
Name a movie in which your chosen actress played an Oscar-winning role that earned her a spot on this list (-1pt).

2. The Name's The Same (1951)
Of the panel games of the '50s, The Name's The Same seems to be the forgotten one. Panelists including socialite Joan Alexander and future Match Game host Gene Rayburn tried to guess the names of ordinary people with names the same as celebrities, places, things, and even actions. Your task in this question is to give me the name of someone who, with a few notable exceptions, such as a guy trapped inside the body of a fish and a guy who talks a lot about locusts, has a name unlikely to be shared with many people alive today:

Name one of the Old Testament Minor Prophets.

3. I've Got a Secret (1952)
Here's a better known panel game, the long-running Garry Moore-/Steve Allen- hosted show in which panelists such as Bill Cullen, Betsy Palmer, Henry Morgan, and Bess Myerson had to guess the secrets of average Joes and celebrities alike. The celebrity secret often got the panelists involved in some sort of game, experiment, or performance at the end of the show. Here are 12 celebrities that have/had some pretty big secrets:

Hines Ward
Kiernan Shipka
Barack Obama
Jennifer Lawrence
Neil Patrick Harris
Toni Morrison
Michael K. Williams
Madonna
Justin Bieber
Mickey Mantle
Usain Bolt
Chuck Schumer

Pick one of the celebrities above and match them to one of the secrets below.

A. Osteomyelitis nearly forced doctors to amputate my left leg as a child.
B. I competed for Madison High on It’s Academic.
C. I have a tattoo of Mighty Mouse on my upper right arm.
D. I’ve refused a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
E. I used to buy cocaine using my most famous character’s name.
F. I can solve a Rubik’s cube in under 2 minutes and I’ve been on CSI twice.
G. I've fostered more than twenty dogs and have a black belt in tae kwon do.
H. My mother’s first name was Stanley.
I. I was born with the last name “Wofford” and baptized with the name “Anthony.”
J. I graduated high school when I was 15 and was called Nitro as a kid because of my hyperactivity.
K. I was given a lifetime supply of Red Bull because I've given the product so much free advertising.
L. I own a restaurant and sports bar called "Tracks and Records."

-Your response should be formatted like this: Bob Barker: T.

4. Let's Make a Deal (1963)
This popular show features contestants in wacky costumes playing games and making deals with Monty Hall (and now Wayne Brady) in order to win cash and prizes. It also introduced us to the Zonk, an undesirable joke prize that losing contestants could either take home or exchange for small cash. Your task in this question involves naming someone (or a family member of someone) with whom you certainly would not want to make a deal:

Give the first and last names of a main character in any or all of the first five seasons of The Sopranos who is not dead 1 minute before the credits at the end of the series finale.

-Main characters are credited in the opening sequence, before the “guest starring” note.

-I suppose there's some ambiguity about the status of a certain character who moves back to Italy--let's call him alive and thus a valid answer to this question.

5. Supermarket Sweep (1964)
This one's a fun little niche classic that the AV club just did an interesting retrospective on a little while back. Contestants played grocery pricing games and then went on sprees around a tiny mock supermarket, solving clues and picking up the most expensive items they could find, many of which were fake. There won't be a Jeopardy! question on this quiz, but in this question, hopefully you can prove that you are better informed than the Jeopardy! writers as to which cheeses Americans actually eat (sorry seaborgium!):

According to a 2013 study by the Foodservice Research Institute, based on percentage share of menu items listing cheese as an ingredient, name one of the 14 most popular cheeses in America.

There are 14 valid answers to this question.

6. The Newlywed Game (1966)
Who can forget the show that popularized the phrase all the kids are using these days, "making whoopie"? Newly wed contestants answered questions about each other and had to try to guess how their respective spouse answered, often resulting in hilariously embarrassing moments. For this question, you will have to name a place which currently, due to the political climates, newlyweds are relatively unlikely to honeymoon:

Name a UN member state that borders either the Red Sea or the Black Sea.

-This includes countries bordering the Gulf of Aqaba but not countries sometimes described as "Red Sea territories" that do not actually border the Red Sea.

NESTED BONUS (Remote Control):
Give the capital of your chosen country (-1pt).

7. Hollywood Squares (1966)
In an architectural wonder of the game show world, 9 celebrities formed a giant tic tac toe board, and after listening to the celebrities' often long and funny spiels in response to questions, contestants had to guess whether or not they'd been lied to. Memorable panelists over the years included Paul Lynde, Demond Wilson, Whoopi Goldberg, and Gilbert Gottfried. Living in Israel, I've often wished for the show to be revived here, only instead of celebrities, it should have 9 Israeli politicians. I'll stop right there because this is a TD, not a political soap box, so anyway, here's the question:

Name someone who served or is currently serving as Prime Minister of the State of Israel (not counting acting or interim leaders).

8. Pyramid (1973)
The late Dick Clark presided over a half hour of fun for many years, the delightful Pyramid franchise. Contestants, paired with celebrity guests who often had little to no name recognition, had 30 seconds to get their partners to say seven words, names, or phrases. And then there was the classic bonus round, the Winners' Circle, which provided so many exciting moments over the years as celebrities tried to guide the contestants up the pyramid to win big money. Here's a question about the triangle, or somewhat of a pyramid, sort of, I guess, if you will, formed by first, second, and third base on the baseball diamond:

Name an infielder who played at least 15 major league games on the New York Yankees' roster during the 2013 MLB season.

-Correct answers must have played the majority of their 2013 Yankees games at the shortstop, 1st base, 2nd base, or 3rd base position(s).

-The intention of the 15 game provision is not to trick you. No "big-name" infielders played greater than 0 but fewer than 15 games with the Yankees in 2013. For the record, Alberto Gonzalez played 13, Brent Lillibridge played 11, and Chris Nelson played 10. They were all pretty bad.

There are 13 valid answers to this question.

BONUS (The Weakest Link):
Name the last shortstop to win the AL MVP award and the last shortstop to win the NL MVP award (-1pt each).

9. Countdown I (1982)
We'll go across the Atlantic for this one, the long-running, low-key, fun, competitive British game show Countdown. In one of the only game shows where mathematical geniuses can show off their arithmetic skills on TV, many have dazzled the hosts and the audience with great mental feats in only a short amount of time. I'll bow to the legendary show and just straight out give you some Countdown math puzzles to do:

Using any or all of the 6 numbers in a set a maximum of one time each, and only using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, solve one of the following Countdown number puzzles.

A. You have 50, 100, 1, 1, 3, and 8 to make 500.
B. You have 12, 62, 1, 5, 7, and 10 to make 130.
C. You have 25, 75, 2, 3, 7, and 10 to make 711.
D. You have 25, 50, 75, 100, 2, and 6 to make 125.
E. You have 50, 75, 100, 2, 4, and 8 to make 426.
F. You have 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 9 to make 253.
G. You have 50, 100, 2, 4, 5, and 8 to make 167.
H. You have 25, 50, 75, 100, 4, and 6 to make 821.
I. You have 50, 100, 3, 5, 6, and 7 to make 519.
J. You have 25, 50, 75, 100, 2, and 3 to make 641.
K. You have 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9 to make 444.
L. You have 25, 50, 75, 100, 3, and 6 to make 952.

-Your response to hypothetical letter M (You have 25,50,100, 3, 4, and 8 to make 227) should be formatted like this:
M. 3*(100-25)+(8/4) = 227
or like this, if your skill with order of operations is not so good:
M. 100-25 = 75
3*75=225
8/4=2
225+2=227

-I know not everyone here is great at math, so in order not to waste everyone's time, I've tried to put these in increasing order of difficulty from top to bottom, but of course that is subjective and there are many ways to solve each puzzle other than the solution that I found.

-No calculators or other tools other than pen/pencil and paper, please.

There are 12 correct answers to this question.

10. Countdown II (1982)
And you can't have a Countdown numbers game without a Countdown letters game! I couldn't adapt the traditional letters game to a TD, so here are twelve conundrums for you to solve. Parts of speech are in parentheses to help you:

BIITARAEVBON (n.)
BITOSRELAEPL (pl. n.)
RNNEOAOYTMDC (adj.)
DINTOOGEOMSL (n.)
DORGMEIBRNIE (gerund)
RFITLIOSACAT (pl. n.)
ULOPSUCGUSRE (pl. n.)
CISSEEOHMKNS (n.)
LCSTIIINNYTD (adv.)
DPOIRZGEAJIN (gerund)
UELKNKLBLSCA (pl. n.)
MSANIPEDEHPR (v.)

Unscramble one of the 12-letter words above.

-You don't need to tell me which one you wish to solve, just give me an answer.

11. Double Dare 2000 (1986)
A niche classic, Double Dare 2000 was a kids and family show in which contestants had to answer trivia questions and complete messy physical challenges involving classic Nickelodeon green slime. Here's a dare for you: go to law school and try to be a lawyer in the current market without crippling yourself with debt. Here's a double dare: try doing it without going to one of the schools you're about to name, which include five Ivies, two schools in California, two schools in Chicago, and three state universities:

Name one of the Top 14 law schools in the US in 2014, as ranked by US news.

-University of Texas-Austin is #15.

12. Lingo (1987)
How about Lingo, a relatively big hit for GSN when it was revived? Pairs of contestants were given the first letter of a five letter word and had five chances to guess it. If they guessed correctly, they could draw balls and fill out their bingo board. Today, you'll only get one guess, but I'll give you my source for the words:

Give a word that starts with either the letter "n" or the letter "s" in the lyrics to Carly Rae Jepsen's song Call Me Maybe.

-If you can't find incidental research for this one, you're not looking incidentally enough.

There are 15 valid answers to this question.

13. Road Rules (1995)
Road Rules was an underrated MTV game show that ran for 12 years. Young strangers lived in an RV traveling from place to place, teaming up to solve clues and complete missions along the way. The show introduced us to MTV "stars" (eh, maybe not really) who still compete on The Challenge to this day. In this TD, you'll have to follow a road as well, one made of yellow brick:

Name a title character in one of L. Frank Baum’s 14 canonical Oz books or a specific actor/actress who played multiple roles in the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz and was credited on theatrical release posters for the movie (please note the hint below, which, due to the absence of other hints, is a bigger hint than you might think at first glance).

-The Cowardly Lion of Oz was written in 1923 by Ruth Plumly Thompson, Baum's niece.

BONUS (Win, Lose, or Draw):
Name the illustrator of Baum's last 13 Oz books (-1pt).

14. Inquizition (1998)
In this cult GSN classic, a mysterious, still unnamed anti-host called the Inquizitor rattled off trivia questions and insulted and scorned underperforming players. When contestants were eliminated, the Inquizitor screamed or deadpanned phrases such as "Get out!" and "You have failed." The tone of the show was so absurdly lugubrious that more than a few kids I knew were fooled into thinking the losing contestants were executed backstage. So in honor of those kids, here's a question about two major deaths in 2014:

Name a novel/novella written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez or a film in which Philip Seymour Hoffman played a role for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best (Supporting) Actor.

-Novels/novellas do not include nonfiction, short story collections, poetry collections, or children's books.

BONUS (The Rich List):
Pick one of the following four living authors and name as many novels/novellas by them as you can: Toni Morrison, Salman Rushdie, Thomas Pynchon, Herman Wouk. (-.2 pts each).

-This is helpful for me as a tiebreaker because it introduces fractional scores, and it also serves as an experimental section to help me out with future TDs. Give as many titles as you want, but I will stop reading after the first incorrect answer.

15. Cash Cab (2005)
Isn't it everyone's dream to be in a big rush in New York City and to get stopped by a cab driver offering tons of cash if you'll just answer a few questions correctly before you get to your destination? The Emmy voters certainly thought so, rewarding Ben Bailey in 2010, 2011, and 2013. It was cancelled fairly recently, but only because the producers are gearing up for a run at a new show, Cash Spaceship, on which contestants will answer questions en route to the destinations that answer the following question:

Name a moon of a (nondwarf) planet in our solar system, excluding Earth, with a mean radius of greater than 500 km.

-Enceladus, Miranda, and Proteus are next on the list, with mean radii of greater than 200 km but less than 500 km.

16. The Chase (2013)
No explanation should be necessary for this one, the GSN "hit" that brought Mark Labbett across the Atlantic. Contestants try to answer trivia questions in order to avoid being chased down by trivia stalwarts called Chasers. Whoever makes it back to their podium safely has the opportunity to race for large amounts of cash in the Final Chase. In 2009, Roger Federer completed his chase of Pete Sampras's Grand Slam record, winning his 15th Grand Slam by defeating Andy Roddick in the Wimbledon final and surpassing the mighty Sampras's 14. Now, a new chase has begun, but a certain Spaniard's injuries appear to stand in the way:

Name a tennis player who won a Men's/Women's Grand Slam Singles tennis championship during the following period: the beginning of the Australian Open in 2010 to the end of Wimbledon in 2014.

NESTED BONUS (Duel):
Name a player your chosen champion beat in a Grand Slam Singles final during the time period in the question (-1pt).
Last edited by lieph82 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Participants List:
Spoiler
Tpmorrison
gamawire
Creed Bratton
MarkBarrett
Lumosityfan
Caboom
nightreign
ElendilPickle
econgator
dnbguy
Peachbox
CheezeWhiz
Ryno
Mathew5000
Bamaman
psgola
immaf
clprez
dhkendall
geolawyerman
mennoknight
Vanya
tjconn728
mitchparov
Magna
Peggles
JoshuaRQI
jjwaymee
Leander
spell4yr
whatisbishkek
goforthetie
RandyG
TheyCallMeMrKid
ihavejeoprosy
barandall800
Last edited by lieph82 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:28 am, edited 24 times in total.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Clarifications:
Spoiler
Press Your Luck: Bonuses won't be considered in calculating median and points scored by a random correct answer. Median calculated by taking the middle value of points scored by all participants who answered the question correctly. Points chosen by a randomly chosen correct answer are calculated by randomly choosing a correct answer (either given or not given by participants) and giving you the number of points that answer earned (can be 0 if that answer was unused).

5: In 2013, the Foodservice Research Institute combed through data in their MenuMine database--36,000 menu items, collected from 1550 chains, independents, and non-commercial operators in the US--and determined which cheeses were the top-selling in America based on menu shares. The cheese names are pretty much as general as they can get.

Processed cheese food can count as cheese, as long as it adheres to the FDA's legal definition of cheese products.

9: You don't have to use all of the numbers in the set, but you can't use a number more than once unless it appears more than once in the set. All correct solutions to a puzzle will count as the same response.

10: Pencil and paper or visual aids like Scrabble tiles are ok to help you unscramble the words; online anagram tools are not ok.

12: Correct responses can be any number of letters long.

14: Correct PSH answers can be either Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor nominations. Titles must be exact, as per Jeopardy! rules!
Last edited by lieph82 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

a) you are in good standing with the jboard.tv community
I guess I'm out, then.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Bamaman wrote:
a) you are in good standing with the jboard.tv community
I guess I'm out, then.
Oh, good, you took the hint, I was about to PM you.
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

Just to clarify: on the Lingo one, does the answer have to be five letters like on the show?

And the Philip Seymour Hoffman one can be either lead or supporting I assume?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Tpmorrison wrote:Just to clarify: on the Lingo one, does the answer have to be five letters like on the show?

And the Philip Seymour Hoffman one can be either lead or supporting I assume?
No, yes.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Can we use pencil and paper to unscramble for the Countdown II one?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

nightreign wrote:Can we use pencil and paper to unscramble for the Countdown II one?
Yes, or even scrabble tiles. Just no online anagram solving programs.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

lieph82 wrote:
nightreign wrote:Can we use pencil and paper to unscramble for the Countdown II one?
Yes, or even scrabble tiles. Just no online anagram solving programs.
Thanks! Looks like a fun one!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done. Set aside a block of time if you want to read the questions and work out your answers in one setting. My brain hurts.

Sitting! Told you. It's draining.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

MarkBarrett wrote:Done. Set aside a block of time if you want to read the questions and work out your answers in one setting. My brain hurts.

Sitting! Told you. It's draining.
Maybe I should try working out all those anagrams when I'm bored in class. Once I figure out even one of them, of course.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

lieph82 wrote: Name one of the Old Testament Minor Prophets.
Just to be sure..... Among biblical scholars far-and-wide there is a standard definition of what makes a "minor" prophet?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RandyG wrote:
Just to be sure..... Among biblical scholars far-and-wide there is a standard definition of what makes a "minor" prophet?
Yes, there is, actually. Don't want to say too much for fear of giving something away, but, yes, there is.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

dhkendall wrote:
RandyG wrote:
Yes, there is, actually. Don't want to say too much for fear of giving something away, but, yes, there is.
Yup.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I think the cheese question is going to prove troublesome. I'll start...

Let's say there's a type of cheese called Fred. But naturally, Fred cheese from Vermont is different than (and far superior* to) Fred cheese from Wisconsin, because cheese from Wisconsin is dyed a very off-putting shade of orange. Are you making a distinction between white (or Vermont) Fred cheese and orange (or Wisconsin) Fred cheese? Or is it all just considered Fred cheese?

Also, does your definition of cheese extend to include various kinds of processed cheese food?

*Portions of this question may be subjective.
Teems with quiet fun.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

immaf wrote:I think the cheese question is going to prove troublesome. I'll start...

Let's say there's a type of cheese called Fred. But naturally, Fred cheese from Vermont is different than (and far superior* to) Fred cheese from Wisconsin, because cheese from Wisconsin is dyed a very off-putting shade of orange. Are you making a distinction between white (or Vermont) Fred cheese and orange (or Wisconsin) Fred cheese? Or is it all just considered Fred cheese?

Also, does your definition of cheese extend to include various kinds of processed cheese food?

*Portions of this question may be subjective.
In 2013, the Foodservice Research Institute combed through data in their MenuMine database--36,000 menu items, collected from 1550 chains, independents, and non-commercial operators in the US--and determined which cheeses were the top-selling in America based on menu shares. The cheese names are pretty much as general as they can get; it looks like if a menu listed "white Fred cheese," it would just go in the "Fred cheese" tally.

Yes to your "various kinds of processed cheese food," as long as it adheres to the FDA's legal definition of cheese products.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

lieph82 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
RandyG wrote:
Yup.
Actually, I don't want to give anything away either, but I just noticed how you phrased the question. There are more than 12 "minor prophets" in the OT, and you can define both "minor" and "prophet" multiple ways, but there are only twelve in the group commonly known as the Minor Prophets, note the capitalization. That probably doesn't help, but it's there :).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

lieph82 wrote: Actually, I don't want to give anything away either, but I just noticed how you phrased the question. There are more than 12 "minor prophets" in the OT, and you can define both "minor" and "prophet" multiple ways, but there are only twelve in the group commonly known as the Minor Prophets, note the capitalization. That probably doesn't help, but it's there :).
How did they offend God enough to be called only minor prophets? And what did that do to their self-esteem? "Oh, you're only a minor prophet, no one will remember you 4,000 years from now except trivia buffs and a few pastors."