Guesstimania 9: Double Elimination

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Guesstimania 9: Double Elimination

Post by Vermonter »

Ready to play? Click here to submit your responses.

Guesstimania has much in common with those famous consulting interview questions: How many golf balls can you fit in a 747? How many light bulbs are there in the city of Chicago?

In this installment of Guesstimania, you have the option of explaining how you came to each estimate. It might just save your bacon – and it could serve as an intriguing social experiment.

ENTRIES SUBMITTED: 33
Spoiler
  1. gamawire
  2. Vanya
  3. MarkBarrett
  4. dnbguy
  5. econgator
  6. geolawyerman
  7. TheyCallMeMrKid
  8. whatisbishkek
  9. TerrHeel
  10. Caboom
  11. cougarslav
  12. nightreign
  13. Woof
  14. jjwaymee
  15. mitchparov
  16. brainpower
  17. tjconn728
  18. clprez
  19. Bob78164
  20. BobF
  21. alietr
  22. lieph82
  23. FireAntsDefense
  24. jeffwolfe
  25. RandyG
  26. Bamaman
  27. ihavejeoprosy
  28. jepkid97
  29. dougforte
  30. Sherm
  31. Lumosityfan
  32. Rackme32
  33. barandall800 (late entry)
The Rules

1. The game will consist of seven questions where you have to take your best guess as to the correct number. As with other installments, degree of closeness will be judged by simple subtraction.

2. For each question, the worst guesses will fall in the Strike Zone, and all players – except for the two who are saved by the consultant – will receive a strike. If a player receives two strikes, he is eliminated from the game.

3. Saved by the Consultant: On every question, you can explain how you arrived at your estimate. I'll take the explanations from each player in the Strike Zone and send them to a friend who works as a consultant. He will pick the best two explanations, and these two players will be spared of a strike.

4. The players who survive all seven questions will then be ranked according to a formula. There will be no follow-up questions.

5. As usual, you are not allowed to use any research material other than the knowledge in your head. Please try to avoid situations where you might learn about a question.

6. The deadline for submitting your answers by Sunday, September 7, 2014, at 11:59 PM EDT. Please submit your answers here; when you're done, PM me with your response to question #1 so I can verify it's you. Do not post any answers in this thread. You must submit all your answers at once, and no changes or corrections will be allowed.

7. Feel free to post any questions you have in this thread unless you believe a question will give away too much information. In that case, you can send me the question in a private message.

The size of the Strike Zone
Spoiler
The Strike Zone will be calculated so that at the end of the game, there will be exactly 10 unused strikes. For example, if we get 40 players, that's a total of 80 strikes. Each question, therefore, will need 10 strikes plus two Saved, so 12 players will fall into the Strike Zone on each question. (Note that a larger percentage of players will fall into the Strike Zone as contestants are eliminated.)
Calculating final rankings
Spoiler
At the end of the game, between 5 and 10 contestants will remain. Each will receive points as follows:

Points for each question will be given on a sliding scale compared with the other remaining players: closest receives 10, next-closest receives 9, etc. (N.B. these points will remain the same regardless of the number of players still alive)

A bonus of 7 points will be given to any player who has not received a strike, and to any player who is the closest overall on a question (including eliminated players).

Any ties will be broken by number of 10s, then number of 9s, etc., with order of submission serving as the final tiebreaker.
Sample explanation
Spoiler
Question: How many residents of New York City have last names beginning with "Z"?

Around 8 million people live in New York City. Let's assume the frequency of "Z" is one out of 400. That makes my guess 8,000,000 / 400 = 20,000.
Last edited by Vermonter on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Questions

Post by Vermonter »

1. What is the square mileage of land in the contiguous United States (the lower 48 + DC)? Water is not included.

2. The largest known prime number is (2^57,885,161)-1. How many digits does this number have?

3. According to the CPI Inflation Calculator, one American dollar ($1.00) in 1944 had the same buying power as what amount in 2014?

4. How many field goals were made in the NFL during the 2013 regular season?

5. Over the last eight Jeopardy! TOCs (since Mark Dawson, the first with doubled values), what was the average winning score in the two-day final?

6. There have been 43 different U.S. Presidents. What was their average age as of their first inauguration?

7. How many movie screens were there in the United States as of December 31, 2013?

Good luck!
Last edited by Vermonter on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Guesstimania 9: Double Elimination

Post by econgator »

Neat concept, Keith!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Questions are up! Have fun, everyone. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Intriguing concept, Keith. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Wow, that's complicated! I guess I'll submit my answers and just trust that you'll tell me when it's time for me to go. :?
Sheepin' it real.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is "I pulled a number out of my ass" an acceptable explanation?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Wow, that's complicated! I guess I'll submit my answers and just trust that you'll tell me when it's time for me to go. :?
Yes, just trust me. :)
Bamaman wrote:Is "I pulled a number out of my ass" an acceptable explanation?
Sure! Maybe you'll get the sympathy vote from the judge. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If you win, that'll make you a real ... smart ass.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Only if there are photos.
Sheepin' it real.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Trying to make my life easier

Post by Vermonter »

Change to submission policy: I set up a Google form for easier tracking. Please submit your answers here; when you're done, PM me with your response to question #1 so I can verify it's you.

The four who have already responded (through dnbguy) do not need to do this.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Is using a paper and pencil within the rules, or do we need to strictly do head calculations?
Sheepin' it real.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Is using a paper and pencil within the rules, or do we need to strictly do head calculations?
I would assume you can use a calculator, so long as it's not used to directly derive a correct answer.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

econgator wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Is using a paper and pencil within the rules, or do we need to strictly do head calculations?
I would assume you can use a calculator, so long as it's not used to directly derive a correct answer.
Yep, calculator is fine
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

A couple of reminders (+ bump as someone went wild on the SHC threads):
  1. Please submit your responses using this Google form.
  2. Don't be too concerned about the rules – there are no options to skip a question. It really boils down to one thing:
cougarslav
Contributor

Post by cougarslav »

Just to clarify, movie screens are different from movie theaters, correct?
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Not sure if these have been asked before, but does this follow price is right rules where you can't go over the correct number?

Also, does the field goal question include extra points after TDs or is that just for field goals?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Your questions… answered

Post by Vermonter »

cougarslav wrote:Just to clarify, movie screens are different from movie theaters, correct?
Yes. The neighborhood "Cineplex 8" is one theater with 8 screens.
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Not sure if these have been asked before, but does this follow price is right rules where you can't go over the correct number?
No. I take the absolute value.
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Also, does the field goal question include extra points after TDs or is that just for field goals?
A field goal is worth 3 points.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Your questions… answered

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vermonter wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Also, does the field goal question include extra points after TDs or is that just for field goals?
That's why I can't host one of these things. I would never be able to be so polite.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Your questions… answered

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
That's why I can't host one of these things. I would never be able to be so polite.
Anybody who keeps their cool the way you do in the old games thread when asked about what happened in the opening credits in a game played 20 years ago is much more polite than I could ever hope to be.