Match Game 1

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Match Game 1

Post by hscer »

I'm much better at this than TD's!
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Finally my sheep hitting ability, honed in the TD's, is starting to bear fruit. Three sheeps in a row and I'm up to 7th from 21st. If only I hadn't switched away from Scary Movie, what could have been... :lol:
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

9) BLANK Saw

Another one where the battle for sheep was neck-and-neck. A good mix of people who opted for compound words and people who chose types of saws.

Sheep: SEE (15)
Mystcmage
Lieph82
Bamaman
Econgator
Rjaguar3
countyguy
Amorris525
gnash
Rackme32
Turd Ferguson
woof
Theycallmemrkid
dnbguy
doihavetoreally
barandall800

CHAIN (14)
Peggles
Leander
Nightreign
Gamawire
hscer
ElendiPickle
psgola
PowerofHoodoo
Mennoknight
This is Kirk!
caboom
goforthetie
ihavejeoprosy
Cheezguyty

JIG (6)
DCrawShawJr
MarkBarrett
clprez
CheezeWhiz
brainpower
dougforte

HACK (4)
Mitchparov
Blue Lion
whatisbishkek
soxfan99

BUZZ (4)
Vermonter
immaf
geolawyerman
Lisa0012

HAND (1)
gsn93

OLD (1)
sillymonkey

TABLE (1)
spell4yr
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

Last, but most certainly not least...

10) Jennifer BLANK

In part, I regret this choice. My goal here was to give a female first name that a good number of famous people had (to counter the "John BLANK" at the beginning). In my view, Jennifer is one such name. However, what this inadvertently led to was the biggest sheep of the entire game, which is not ideal. Still, it did at least elicit six answers. If anyone can think of any female first names that would yield a more diverse and wider range of responses, I'd love to hear them.

As a heads up: I'll try to have the final standings up tomorrow night, although I may not get to them until the next night.

Sheep: LAWRENCE (30
Mystcmage
DCrawShawJr
MarkBarrett
clprez
Countyguy
Nightreign
ElendiPickle
CheezeWhiz
psgola
PowerofHoodoo
Mennoknight
gnash
immaf
Mitchparov
Turd Ferguson
Blue Lion
This is Kirk!
gsn93
geolawyerman
dnbguy
caboom
whatisbishkek
doihavetoreally
goforthetie
dougforte
soxfan99
ihavejeoprosy
barandall800
Lisa0012
Cheezguyty

ANISTON (7)
Peggles
Bamaman
Gamawire
hscer
Rackme32
Theycallmemrkid
Sillymonkey

LOPEZ (5)
Econgator
Rjaguar3
Amorris525
brainpower
Leander

GARNER (2)
Vermonter
woof

HUDSON (1)
Lieph82

CONVERTIBLE (1)
spell4yr
Last edited by Tpmorrison on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hscer

Post by hscer »

I thought the last question might do me in, but COME ON PEOPLE
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Leander

Post by Leander »

I hate to admit it, but my response on the last question was Jennifer Lopez, not Lawrence.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Tpmorrison wrote:In part, I regret this choice. My goal here was to give a female first name that a good number of famous people had (to counter the "John BLANK" at the beginning). In my view, Jennifer is one such name. However, what this inadvertently led to was the biggest sheep of the entire game, which is not ideal. Still, it did at least elicit six answers. If anyone can think of any female first names that would yield a more diverse and wider range of responses, I'd love to hear them.

As a heads up: I'll try to have the final standings up tomorrow night, although I may not get to them until the next night.

Sheep: LAWRENCE (32!)
If this wasn't being played at the same time as when the Jennifer Lawrence nude photos came out, I'm sure it wouldn't have sheeped by as much, but when there's one Jennifer all over the news, why would you chose a different one?
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

soxfan99 wrote:
Tpmorrison wrote:In part, I regret this choice. My goal here was to give a female first name that a good number of famous people had (to counter the "John BLANK" at the beginning). In my view, Jennifer is one such name. However, what this inadvertently led to was the biggest sheep of the entire game, which is not ideal. Still, it did at least elicit six answers. If anyone can think of any female first names that would yield a more diverse and wider range of responses, I'd love to hear them.

If this wasn't being played at the same time as when the Jennifer Lawrence nude photos came out, I'm sure it wouldn't have sheeped by as much, but when there's one Jennifer all over the news, why would you chose a different one?

Good point, and I hadn't thought of that. The ratio of Lawrence:other answers definitely skyrocketed after that story (which I believe happened about midway through the submission period)
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

Leander wrote:I hate to admit it, but my response on the last question was Jennifer Lopez, not Lawrence.
Wow, thanks a LOT for your honesty! Figures I make my first mistake (err, first mistake that anyone corrected me on) on the last question.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Tpmorrison wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:

Good point, and I hadn't thought of that. The ratio of Lawrence:other answers definitely skyrocketed after that story (which I believe happened about midway through the submission period)
This is why I won't be entering first next time.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tpmorrison wrote: In part, I regret this choice. My goal here was to give a female first name that a good number of famous people had (to counter the "John BLANK" at the beginning). In my view, Jennifer is one such name. However, what this inadvertently led to was the biggest sheep of the entire game, which is not ideal. Still, it did at least elicit six answers. If anyone can think of any female first names that would yield a more diverse and wider range of responses, I'd love to hear them.
Shirley:

Jones
Booth
Temple
MacLaine
Bassey
Feeney
Chisholm

Jessica:

Biel
Lange
Rabbit
Alba
Simpson
Tandy

Yeah, it's not as easy as it seemed when I started the post.

Margaret?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:Shirley:

Jessica:

Margaret?
I have some ideas but it's probably best to abstain from sharing – otherwise we might be tainting future competitions (or at least reducing the available untainted options)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Shirley:

Jones
Booth
Temple
MacLaine
Bassey
Feeney
Chisholm
You can't be serious!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Tpmorrison wrote:8) BLANK Food

COMFORT (2)
Gamawire
doihavetoreally
Fast food seems so obvious in retrospect. Can't even believe I said comfort food.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Tpmorrison wrote:8) BLANK Food

COMFORT (2)
Gamawire
doihavetoreally
Fast food seems so obvious in retrospect. Can't even believe I said comfort food.
Just what I was thinking.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

soxfan99 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Shirley:

Jones
Booth
Temple
MacLaine
Bassey
Feeney
Chisholm
You can't be serious!
Shirley I can be!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

Another reduction to the Lawrence list: I said Anniston [sic]. Doesn't help my cause, but makes your statistics better, I hope!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

After such a huge sheep with someone I'd never even HEARD of, I had to Google on Jennifer Lawrence... Nope, never seen any of the flicks or TV shows she was in.

Her pic didn't look familiar to me, either. Nice looking, tho...

This proves that recent pop culture is lost on me. :)
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Rackme32 wrote:After such a huge sheep with someone I'd never even HEARD of, I had to Google on Jennifer Lawrence... Nope, never seen any of the flicks or TV shows she was in.

I care very little about pop culture, but I knew about her solely from CELEBRITIES for $400 in this game, and sensed that she was the most famous Jennifer.
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

Rackme32 wrote:After such a huge sheep with someone I'd never even HEARD of, I had to Google on Jennifer Lawrence... Nope, never seen any of the flicks or TV shows she was in.

She won the Academy Award two years ago for Silver Linings Playbook and has also starred in the Hunger Games series, Winter's Bone, and American Hustle. She's actually a very talented actress, I'd highly reccomend watching some of her work (especially Silver Linings and American Hustle)