Monday, September 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6901, 2014-09-22

CONTESTANTS
Heather Jarvis, an editor at the United Nations from Trinidad and Tobago and now in New York
Dave Childs, a government contractor from Washington, D.C.
Matthew Price, a higher education administrator from East Providence, Rhode Island (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome again to our program. With regard to the mustache--uh, keep it, shave it, so far no consensus. The votes are about evenly split, so we'll see. On Friday, we ended last week in our first week of the new season on a high note--Matthew winning over $22,000. He would like to add to that total today, of course. And to do that, he will have to beat you, Heather, and you also, Dave. Let's see what happens. Good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories for the first round of play today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARIES (0/2)
WORD PUZZLES (5/5)
HERALDRY (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AT THE DRUGSTORE (5/5)
AVIATION FIRSTS (5/5)
ONE SHORT OF AN EGOT (5/5) (Alex: An "EGOT" is an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony. We will give you a list of names, and you tell us which of those 4 awards they did NOT get.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Heather: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Matthew: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dave: $3,200
Heather: $1,600
Matthew: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As you heard at the beginning of the program, Heather Jarvis is an editor at the United Nations. And I'm curious, what exactly does an editor do?

Heather: Well, in my section, we edit the parliamentary documentation of the main organs of the organization, the resolutions and decisions of the General Assembly, the Security Counsel, Economic and Social Account so--

Alex: Does that mean you have to be fluent in a number of different languages? Because the United Nations is a polyglot for languages.

Heather: Well, I work with a multilingual team of editors. I handle the English, but, uh, as English editors, we are required to have French and another one of the official languages.

Alex: Okay, well, good for you, all right.

Alex: Dave Childs is a government contractor from Washington D.C. who traveled to Rwanda once and went on a gorilla trek. Did you see any? Did you get close to them?

Dave: We did. After a hike that was somewhat longer than my boyfriend Rob and I, who's here today, were led to believe, we got up about over 10,000 feet and we saw a group of about, uh, 9 or 10 gorillas, including a silverback and a couple of young ones who were quite the hams for the cameras.

Alex: No aggressive behavior on their part towards you guys?

Dave: No, they were just as curious about us as we were about them.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Matthew: Matthew Price is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He is from Rhode Island and is a huge supporter of organ donations.

Matthew: Yes.

Alex: Why?

Matthew: Well, my father was fortunate enough to receive a kidney donation, uh, two years ago. Um, one of his kidneys was operating at a single digit percent, the other was at 15%. And because of the kindness of a complete stranger, he was able to receive a new organ, um, and it's like night and day. And he's in much better health now.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Heather found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Matthew had $600, Dave had $4,800, and Heather was at $5,200. Heather wagered $800.

HERALDRY $800: Battles have been used in heraldry since at least the 18th century; this admiral's coat of arms depicted the battle of the Nile
(Heather: Who is Kitchener?)
(Alex: No. "Who is [*]?")
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: Kitchener was Army, [*] was Navy.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARIES $200: The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary offers a "trail" of these, like of the Adelaide Baker & the Benwood
(Dave: What are swamps?)

NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARIES $400: Come out to the coast and take it easy with these big seals at the Sanctuary at Monterey Bay
(Matthew: What are mammoth seals?)
(Heather: What are dugongs?)
(Alex: "What are [*]?" Well, we have Dave at -$200 and LEADING! [laughter] Matthew, you pick again.)

HERALDRY $600: When this part of a knight's armor is displayed, an open visor denotes nobility

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dave: $4,800
Heather: $4,400
Matthew: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A PLACE FIT FOR A KING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EDUCATION (4/5)
YOU'VE GOT CHARACTER! (3/5)
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS (3/3)
CANADIANS ON TV (5/5)
"D.C."ING YOU (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matthew: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Heather: 8 R, 0 W
Dave: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Matthew had $3,000, Dave had $6,400, and Heather was at $8,800. Dave wagered $3,000.

"D.C."ING YOU $1600: It's the only capital-&-state combo that fits the category
(Dave: What is the...[time's up])

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matthew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Matthew had $5,000, Dave had $3,800, and Heather was at $8,800. Matthew wagered $2,000.

A PLACE FIT FOR A KING $1600: This Theban area includes Luxor & Karnak

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"D.C."ING YOU $2000: Even today, Hot Wheels metal cars are made by this method

EDUCATION $2000: Set up by the office of economic opportunity under Sargent Shriver, this government program teaches vocational skills to youth
(Dave:What is technical education?)

YOU'VE GOT CHARACTER! $1200: Whenever life gets too mundane, this author's Walter Mitty creates his own fantasy

YOU'VE GOT CHARACTER! $2000: Characters in this Edna Ferber novel set in the Mississippi include Captain Hawks & Gaylord Ravenal, a handsome gambler

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Heather: $16,400
Matthew: $10,200
Dave: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BILLBOARD ALBUM CHARTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Heather: Wager $4,001 to cover Matthew, but no more than $7,199 so as not to fall behind Dave's doubled score.
Matthew: You have the hope of surpassing Heather if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,201 to force Heather to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $999 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Dave.
Dave: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
11 movie soundtrack albums by this performer hit the Billboard Top 10, with 4 hitting No. 1

FINAL SCORES
Dave: $4,600 + $4,600 = $9,200 (Who is Elvis Presley) (2nd place: $2,000)
Matthew: $10,200 - $10,200 = $0 (Who is Barbra Streisand?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Heather: $16,400 - $4,600 = $11,800 (Who is Marvin Hamlisch?) (New champion: $11,800)
(Alex: We had a category earlier on, "A Place Fit for a King"; let's see if that was a factor in this Final.)
(Alex: Dave, we come to you first. You had $4,600 and you wrote down the correct response, [*], "The King".)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Heather: $17,200, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Matthew: $9,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Dave: $7,600, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $34,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Heather: 17/59 = .288
Dave: 15/59 = .254
Matthew: 14/59 = .237
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WORD PUZZLES $200: You'll need them for Wimbledon

WORD PUZZLES $400: I loved Will Smith in this one

WORD PUZZLES $600: Carpal tunnel syndrome is one example of this 3-word problem

WORD PUZZLES $800: An aid in spelling
(Matthew: What is "I after E, except after C"?)
(Alex: That's it, yes. Before, not after.)

WORD PUZZLES $1000: A gymnastics skill

ONE SHORT OF AN EGOT $800: Cher
(Matthew: What is an Emmy?)

AVIATION FIRSTS $1000: In 1929 Swiss aviator Walter Mittelholzer became the first to fly over this peak in northeast Tanzania
(Alex: You got it, with less than a minute to go.)

HERALDRY $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a video on the monitor.) The more than 400 varieties of crosses used in heraldry include the Greek cross, the Saltare, and this one

CANADIANS ON TV $800: Fellow Canadians Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion solve murder-mysteries in New York on this series

YOU'VE GOT CHARACTER! $1600: Being sewn into a shroud & tossed into the sea doesn't stop this Dumas title character from having his revenge
(Alex: You are right, with a minute left.)

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS $1200: In 1718 lieutenant Robert Maynard of the Royal Navy killed this pirate & hung his head, which had a handy grip, off a ship's bow
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Lord Nelson
shipwrecks
elephant seals
the helmet
Denver, Colorado
the Valley of the Kings
die-casting
the Job Corps
James Thurber
"Showboat"
Elvis Presley
tennis shoes
"Men in Black"
repetitive motion injury
"I before E, except after C"
a backward somersault
a Tony
(Mount) Kilimanjaro
the Maltese cross
"Castle"
the Count of Monte Cristo
Blackbeard
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Billboard Album Charts
11 movie soundtrack albums by this performer hit the Billboard top 10, with 4 hitting no. 1.

Spoiler
Who is Elvis Presley? Matthew said Barbra Streisand; Heather said Marvin Hamlisch.

Heather Jarvis: $16,400-$4,600=$11,800...now a 1-day champion with $11,800
Matthew Price: $10,200-$10,200=$0
Dave Childs: $4,600+$4,600=$9,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Well, that was ... something. First time I've ever seen someone introduced as "originally from" one place and "now from" another place (short of a "Where Are They Now? Tournament), and the new champ performed pretty well after a slow start. But all three left a lot of stuff on the table, some amazing Triple Stumpers there too.

Said John Williams for Final, never thought of Elvis.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"From Trinidad and Tobago, and now in New York". Odd way to introduce.

Lach Trash: Elephant seal; helmet; Denver, Colorado; die-cast.

I saw no way to get "shipwrecks" out of Marine Sanctuaries. Anyone wanna explain that one?

And what led to "France" on Aviation Firsts for $200?

Ran Word Puzzles, which is odd since I'm usually hit and miss on those. Also ran "DC".

4/5 in Pharmacy, with an embarrassing miss at $200 when I said K-Y instead of Vaseline.

I took four mental guesses on One Short of an EGOT and was wrong all four times. Didn't guess on Maggie Smith since I don't think I've heard of her.

Education was almost completely over my head. I'm guessing Harvard at $400 was just a "pick the most obvious"? NHO "junior college" or "job corps", knew "seniority" but was blanking on the term (you'd think I'd know it, since seniority is why my mom is no longer a full-time teacher), and clammed on "home economics" as I felt it too easy for $1,600.

Didn't know that hara-kiri had another name.

I had literally no idea where to start on FJ! Couldn't think of any solo artists who had done soundtracks, since many soundtracks tend to be a compilation of several artists.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I saw no way to get "shipwrecks" out of Marine Sanctuaries. Anyone wanna explain that one?
I admit, I missed that, too. Never heard of either of those ships or the Trail.
And what led to "France" on Aviation Firsts for $200?
The Legion of Honour, France's highest award.

Insta-get FJ.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Anyone else miss with Randy Newman on FJ? Ugh.

What are the Coryat rules if you get a right answer on a rebound?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

After negative starts, all three players did well. Alex pronounced "Lieutenant" as "Leftenant" in one clue. This is the Canadian and British pronunciation, but it probably sounds odd to many Americans. I was surprised that Dave didn't get "Denver, Colorado." I got 28 clues correct including all five in both "At The Drugstore" and "D.C.ing You." I also got "die casting." For FJ, I was thinking of composers rather than performers. I guessed Henry Mancini after also thinking of John Williams.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Briefly thought of Elvis, but didn't realize he had been in so many movies that would have charted, so I dismissed him. Floundered around and came up with nothing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said "distress code" instead of "distress call". Judges? I also had tenure instead of seniority.

I never heard of those ships, either.

I think on the Denver DD Dave was trying to think of a city and state that were both D.C.s instead of a D and a C. I started that same way until I figured it out. Tough break, as it cost him the game.

The intro was odd, but maybe she was trying to say she is a native of T&T but is now working in New York. I loved her accent as well as Mike's story.

I groaned when I saw the category. I couldn't think of someone who was known for movie soundtracks then I remembered Elvis made a lot of movies. While I didn't know about his movie soundtracks, I figured since he had a bunch of hit songs, a lot of them must have come from his movies. I tried to think of someone else it could be, but nothing else came to mind. The clue also seemed to indicate the person was no longer making music. When Alex said "We had a category....", I was worried because I could not remember an Elvis category. Then he said kings and I knew I was safe.

I thought Heather would have trouble since she is not a native of this country but she had a crush from her knowledge of beheadings so she hung on.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

zakharov wrote:Anyone else miss with Randy Newman on FJ? Ugh.

I had Newman and never thought to stray. Seemed to fit. On a cold streak
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 out of 54.

Marine: 0 Word: 2 Heraldry: 2 Drug: 2 Aviation: 4 Egot: 3
King: 2 Education: 2 Character: 2 Head: 3 TV: 4 "D.C.": 4

No Lach trash, but I got "Denver, Colorado" from the DD.

My guesses were Elton John and John Williams for FJ.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Fishercat wrote:
zakharov wrote:Anyone else miss with Randy Newman on FJ? Ugh.

I had Newman and never thought to stray. Seemed to fit. On a cold streak
Newman's albums for Disney soundtracks didn't hit #1, and only two of his solo albums made the top 40(Good Old Boys and LIttle Criminals from the 70s, the latter of which featured SHort People)
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Bamaman wrote:she had a crush from her knowledge of beheadings so she hung on.
Not sure you intended this, nice.
FJ sucked. Probably will poll lowest of young season.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

In anticipation of mustache feedback weeks later, Alex took the middle ground & said the public was on the fence. ;)

LT: Elephant seals, helmet, Nelson, Denver Colorado, die-cast(ing), James Thurber, Showboat.

FJ: Got to Elvis Presley after a 2 second consideration of John Williams. The deal there was to remember that Elvis did some acting.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Randy Newman.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

doihavetoreally wrote:FJ sucked. Probably will poll lowest of young season.
Define 'sucked'. Do all FJs you don't get suck?

Although it wasn't an instaget for me, even if I were not a particularly huge fan I would think it'd be fairly simple to reason out. Elvis starred in 33 feature films, of which about two-thirds or so had accompanying soundtrack albums. There are not too many other artists one could think of with that kind of output.

Also, when the category was announced, I said to those in the room "of which there are many". Maybe the fact they didn't refer to a specific albums chart helped me stay away from present or more recent performers.

ETA: oops! 100 quatloos to the first person who can point out my error of fact in this post.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

After briefly considering Kenny Loggins, I remembered Elvis and all those bad, bad movies. Can't believe Matt whiffed on Denver when spotted D and C. That's only 3 states to consider.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

bpmod wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:FJ sucked. Probably will poll lowest of young season.
Define 'sucked'. Do all FJs you don't get suck?

Brian
No.
It sucked for me.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The lowest so far was Friday's at 29%. I think this will top that.