Question for the Weird Al fans on here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which Weird Al song(s) is the least deserving of being on his greatest hits CD?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:42 am

Fat
20%
Eat It
3%
Like a Surgeon
3%
Ricky
15%
Addicted to Spuds
25%
Living With a Hernia
28%
Dare To Be Stupid
3%
Lasagna
28%
I Lost On Jeopardy!
5%
One More Minute
13%

Total votes: 40

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Question for the Weird Al fans on here

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
jkbrat wrote:Best Weird Al title for most effectively conveying the contents of a song: "Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me"

Best Line: "And your two million loser friends all have my address now 'cause you never figured out the way to BCC:" :lol:
I love that one, not just for the lyrical nature, but also for how effectively he apes Jim Steinman's production style.

Come to think of it, there aren't really many producers whose styles are so distinct that you could do a producer-based style parody of them. Who else could he do? Phil Spector? George Martin? Rick Rubin?...Dann Huff?
Nigel Godrich.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

I think erasing Art Flemming and Don Pardo from "I Lost On Jeopardy" and replacing them with Alex Trebek and Johnny Gilbert is on par with George Lukas "updating" the original Star Wars movie. (And I refuse to call it Episode IV: A New Hope--the movie I saw three times the summer of 1977 was called Star Wars).

After my excruciating loss nearly three years ago, watching the video on YouTube made me laugh about it, especially when Don Pardo says "But that's not all, you also made yourself look like a jerk in front of millions of people. You brought shame and disgrace to your family name for generations to come. You don't get to come back tomorrow. You don't even get a lousy copy of our home game. You're a complete loser!"

It's perfect, just the way it is. And I'd love a year's supply of Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco Treat.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Judy5cents wrote:It's perfect, just the way it is.
Completely agree!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I love the video because of the old school look to it. The low dollar amounts, the curtain over the board along with the old hosts.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
trainman wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Oh as long as we got a Weird Al thread on a J! board, anyone else bugged by the fact that "I Lost on Jeopardy" is outdated (Don Pardo, Art Fleming, Potpourri for 100)?
This is like complaining that "When I'm 64" is outdated because both surviving Beatles are over 64.
(Those not of "a certain age" probably don't even relate to the old Jeopardy!)
They need to get off my lawn.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

If it wasn't for Weird Al and "I Lost on Jeopardy" none of us would be here. :o
(At least according to Nathan Rabin on page 62 of Weird Al: The Book:
"Merv Griffin claims the popularity of 1984's 'I Lost on Jeopardy' inspired him to re-launch the show....")
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Carpe Diem wrote:If it wasn't for Weird Al and "I Lost on Jeopardy" none of us would be here. :o
(At least according to Nathan Rabin on page 62 of Weird Al: The Book:
"Merv Griffin claims the popularity of 1984's 'I Lost on Jeopardy' inspired him to re-launch the show....")
The song peaked in the 80s on the Hot 100 in Spring 1984. J! was known to be returning in Fall 1984 by late January 1984, as the NATPE syndication convention is held in late January. I remember Entertainment Tonight reporting on the new Fall game shows in early 1984, and it mentioned Jeopardy!, Name that Tune(Jim Lange version), All New Let's Make a Deal, Every Second Counts, and Anything For Money as the new shows for Fall 1984.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

in my best Merv Griffin voice:
OOOoooooh
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

sethmoko
Contributor

Post by sethmoko »

Quick! The Greatest Hits album needs to be re-edited to include Thee Mysterious Floating Orb.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I think Weird Al lyrics have been subliminally getting into the head of my wife, who is not a fan.

Last week, she called out to my 19-year old son, "Joseph".
He replied, "Yes, mom-seph"
Since then, at random times, my 10-year old will occasionally blurt out "mom-seph" and giggle, and I admit, it's becoming pretty annoying.
So, last night, my wife threatened my 10-year old from two rooms away that if she heard him say mom-seph one more time, she will take the tablet he got for Christmas, put it on the floor and stomp on it.

So, then I quietly sung to my 10-year old:
"I'd rather rip Bryan's tablet right out of his room with my bare hands, throw it on the floor and stomp on it 'til it dies *sigh*, then to spend one more minute hearing mom-seph"
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ugh. Your story reminded me of another story about threats to kids that there's no way to follow through with. A friend of mine had written a great article about holding his son's teddy bear out the car window and threatening to drop it in order to get his son (who was friends with my daughter when they were little) to behave. It was quite humorous, and I wanted to post it here. I went to look for it to post it here, and instead came upon an article he wrote about how his son had died three years ago of a drug overdose. My day is now shot to hell.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My condolences. Reminds me of a time I was randomly searching the Social Security Death Index, and decided to enter names of kids I had worked with, just to see if there was record of anybody with an identical name who had died, and found a record that was almost certainly the kid I had known. (He had been a first grader at a school for the blind where I had done a high school service project in the spring of 2001, and had a severely malformed skull that I presume caused breathing difficulties.)
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

In happier news, http://weirdal.com/tour/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lisa0012 wrote:In happier news, http://weirdal.com/tour/
Happier? I don't see Winnipeg there!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
Well, if it's any consolation, he's coming to Hamilton when I won't be here. But this might be a good reason to spend my birthday in Houston. (I have already tentatively pencilled in Texas for August.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of whom ...

UHF Scene with Rescued Footage
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/5 ... 4732087298
"What? No, these aren’t ALL the dates for the Mandatory World Tour – just the first 88 we could confirm!"

So keep hopin! (I am, there's a shortage of OC Fair dates; that's where I saw him twice before)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)