TD 213: The Cure For Triskaidekaphobia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

TD 213: The Cure For Triskaidekaphobia

Post by RandyG »

Jump to reveal: Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 Q11 Q12 Q13 Final standings

Welcome to TD 213: The Cure For Triskaidekaphobia.

Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number 13, whenever and wherever it’s encountered, such as in this being TD 213 with an official launch date of October 13, 2014, though it’s been posted for early birds at 5:13pm, PDT on October 12th.

When it comes to conquering phobias, facing your fears is the key. While avoidance may make you feel better in the short-term, it prevents you from learning that your phobia may not be as frightening or overwhelming as you think.

Therefore, on this quiz, any fear you have of the number 13 will be met head on with brute force. There are 13 questions, all of which have something to do with phobias, fears or the number 13, and each question has 13 possible answers.

The rest of those pesky rules:

OK, you know how TDs work.... come up with correct answers that match as few of the other players as possible. The player with the lowest net score will be proclaimed "THE PLAYER WITH THE LOWEST NET SCORE!"

CORRECT answers score the number of players who gave that answer.
INCORRECT answers score the SHEEP (most popular correct answer for that question) + ((13 + 13 + 13 + 13 + 13) / 13). (That's SHEEP+5 for the mathematically-challenged.)

• You may DROP one question, which will score a 0. Mark it DROP.
• You may, but are not required to, WILD CARD one question. Mark it WILD CARD or WC. A WC is automatically a correct answer to any question and is collated and scored as any other correct answer. For example, if 13 players WC question #13, then the WC score for #13 is 13.
• Blank answers will be considered incorrect, as will second DROPs or WILD CARDs
• Jeopardy! rules apply for names. I'll be flexible on titles, but they have to be pretty close in order to be considered correct. (Jeopardy! is quite inflexible when it comes to titles.) Spelling is not important as long as you're close, except on question 10, where spelling must be 100% correct.
• Scoring is additive.
• Tiebreaker is order of entry.
• No external help.

Submit your responses using this Google form. I will send an acknowledgment back with a copy of your responses.

Due by Monday, October 20th, 5:13 PM Pacific time. Please do not post in this thread answers or anything that might give them away before the quiz closes! Don't check your answers or do any research until I send you an acknowledgment or your name is posted on the contestant list without a note to PM me. If you need a clarification to any question, then PM me. As necessary, I will post clarifications in the thread.

A special thanks to Vermonter for being my second set of eyes on this TD, helping me to weed out mistakes and ambiguities!

And remember.....

“Everything you want is on the other side of fear”
- Jack Canfield, co-creator of the Chicken Soup for the Soul® series, including the latest entry Chicken Soup for the Trisakaidekaphobiac’s Soul

Last edited by RandyG on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
RandyG

Re: TD 213: The Cure For Triskaidekaphobia

Post by RandyG »

Participants: 70
Spoiler
1. Shaymin
2. MarkBarrett
3. nightreign
4. Abraxas
5. Tpmorrison
6. Gamawire
7. nserven
8. TerrHeel
9. Rackme32
10. Peggles
11. Goatman
12. Vanya
13, immaf
14. Lumosityfan
15. sarah0114
16. Woof
17. Vermonter
18. brainpower
19. ElendilPickle
20. lieph82
21. Leander
22. geolawyerman
23. cf1140
24. psgola
25. mennoknight
26. Ryno
27. CheezeWhiz
28. JoshuaRQI
29. Peachbox
30. Caboom
31. Creed Bratton
32. clprez
33. ZachTheRiah
34. CandiceT
35. TheyCallMeMrKid
36. dott888
37. BobF
38. Blue Lion
39. doihavetoreally
40. econgator
41. Bamaman
42. dhkendall
43. Magna
44. coolcah36
45. jgamer
46. lisa0012
47. xxaaaxx
48. dnbguy
49. whatisbishkek
50. jkbrat
51. SavoyGirl
52. periwinkle
53. Turd Ferguson
54. lpmastor
55. Lefty
56. Woppy T
57. debramc
58. tjconn728
59. jjwaymee
60. ihavejeoprosy
61. spell4yr
62. teapot37
63. Tigershark
64. goforthetie
65. Linear Gnome
66. jepkid97
67. barandall800
68. Kingrat47
69. TomKBaltimoreBoy
70. mitchparov

** Check your PMs.
Last edited by RandyG on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:24 am, edited 49 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

1. Several sources, including the official SCRABBLE® dictionary, confirm that there are sixteen 5-letter English language words starting with the letter “T” that can be made from the letters T-H-I-R-T-E-E-N. If I arbitrarily eliminate “teeth”, “titer” and "titre" from the list, name one of the 13 remaining words. Each letter may be used only up to the number of times it appears in "THIRTEEN." Proper nouns and slang are not valid for this question.

2. In clinical psychology, a “phobia” is a persistent and often disproportionate and irrational fear of an object or situation. Select one the 13 generally-accepted phobias below and say what it’s a fear of. Your answer does not need to match exactly any clinical definition of the phobia, but it must describe essentially the same thing. You don't need to include the letter of your choice.

Note: When a given phobia is commonly defined as two or more closely-related fears, all of these fears will be grouped together under the phobia; for example, if "jeoparophobia" describes a fear of either being on the game show Jeopardy! or of meeting people named Trebek, those answers will be grouped together under "jeoparophobia."

(A) acrophobia
(B) arachnophobia
(C) claustrophobia
(D) coulrophobia
(E) leukophobia
(F) monophobia
(G) mysophobia
(H) necrophobia
(I) panphobia
(J) phasmophobia
(K) pyrophobia
(L) somniphobia
(M) tachophobia

3. One singing group that certainly didn’t have philophobia -- i.e. the fear of love -- was The Supremes. In all of the group’s various iterations, combinations and associations with other groups throughout their heyday in the 1960s and early 70s, the Supremes charted 14 times in the Billboard Hot 100 with songs that had “love” somewhere in the title, either as a standalone word or as part of a longer, related word. The last of these was 1972’s “Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love” in the post-Diana Ross era, which topped out at #59. (Does anybody actually know or remember that song?) Name one of their 13 other Hot 100 songs containing “love.”

4. Name one of the 13 famous people pictured below, each of whom was born in 1913. Name only is sufficient; you don’t need to include the number of your choice. If the image is not displaying properly inside the spoiler or you require more detail, click here (small) or here (large) for standalone images.
Spoiler

5. Name one of the 13 theatrically-released movies described below, all of which have the word or fragment “fear” or the number "13" somewhere in their titles. The title only is sufficient; you don't need to include the letter of your choice.
Spoiler
(A) Biopic on the life of Jimmy Piersall, who battled mental illness to achieve stardom in major league baseball. (1957), Anthony Perkins, Karl Malden, dir. Robert Mulligan

(B) Lieutenant Drebin discovers that his ex-girlfriend's new beau is involved in a plot to kidnap a scientist who advocates solar energy. (1991), Leslie Nielsen, Priscilla Presley, dir. David Zucker

(C) A retired San Francisco detective suffering from acrophobia(!) investigates the strange activities of an old friend's wife, all the while becoming dangerously obsessed with her. (1958), James Stewart, Kim Novak, dir. Alfred Hitchcock. (The working title for this film was Fear and Trembling. If you select this choice, name the title that the film has been known by since its release.)

(D) In a decrepit South American village, men are hired to transport an urgently needed nitroglycerine shipment to a remote oil field. (1953), Yves Montand, Charles Vanel, dir. Henri-Georges Clouzot. (Remade as an English-language version in 1977 with a different title.)

(E) Three astronauts must devise a strategy to return to Earth safely after their spacecraft undergoes massive internal damage. (1995), Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, dir. Ron Howard

(F) CIA analyst Jack Ryan must thwart the plans of a terrorist faction that threatens to induce a catastrophic conflict between the U.S. and Russia by detonating a nuclear weapon at a football game. (2002), Ben Affleck, Morgan Freeman, dir. Phil Alden Robinson

(G) A convicted rapist, released from prison after serving a fourteen-year sentence, stalks the family of the lawyer who originally defended him. (1991), Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte, Jessica Lange, dir. Martin Scorsese. (Remake of a 1962 film.)

(H) A family inherits what proves to be a haunted house, but only by wearing a special pair of goggles can they see their unearthly tormentors. (1960), Charles Herbert, Jo Morrow, dir. William Castle

(I) Courtroom thriller about a slick, hotshot lawyer who takes the seemingly unwinnable case of a young altar boy accused of murdering an eminent catholic priest. (1996), Richard Gere, Laura Linney, Edward Norton, dir. Gregory Hoblit

(J) A man's personality is dramatically changed after surviving a major airline crash. (1993), Jeff Bridges, Isabella Rossellini, Rosie Perez, dir. Peter Weir

(K) A noted professor and his dim-witted apprentice are on the hunt for vampires... and a kidnapped damsel in distress. (1967), Jack MacGowran, Roman Polanski, Sharon Tate, dir. Roman Polanski

(L) The lone inhabitants of an abandoned police station are under attack by a seemingly unstoppable street gang. (1976), Austin Stoker, Darwin Joston, dir. John Carpenter. (Remade in 2005.)

(M) A fictitious war in an unidentified country provides the background for four soldiers who survive the crash-landing of their plane and find themselves six miles behind enemy lines. (1953), Frank Silvera, Kenneth Harp, dir. Stanley Kubrick. This was Stanley Kubrick's first directoral feature.... and the one he wanted everybody to forget ever existed.

6. Someone with a fear of crowds -- variously referred to as agoraphobia, enochlophobia, demophobia, and ochlophobia -- would probably avoid major league baseball, where the average game attendance this year has been about 31,000. Surprising as it might seem, average attendance in 1958, the year that two teams began playing on the west coast, was less than half of that in 2014. Of the 16 teams in the combined major leagues in 1958, 13 were based in a city east of Kansas City. Name one of those 13 teams, including both the city and team name.

7. Has there ever been a child who didn’t have tetraphobia, i.e. fear of monsters? Not that some adults don’t as well, but more often adults face their latent fears by making light of the subjects. Take television. (Monstrous, no?) The Munsters family lived at 1313 Mockingbird Lane during the show's two years in first run (1964-66.) The arguably more macabre The Addams Family also aired in primetime during the same years. The two shows combined had 13 credited characters (5 Munsters, 8 Addams) who appeared in at least 25% of the episodes.** Name one of those 13 regular or recurring characters. Answer with the character, not the actor. (Note: In order to take neg bait off the table, Thing was not a credited character on The Addams Family.)

** 9 credited characters were in all or nearly all of the episodes, 3 in around 60%, and only 1 in slightly over 25%. No other recurring characters appeared in anywhere near 25%.

8. Aviophobia -- the fear of flying -- is not uncommon, especially when it comes to flying in small planes. But when the alternative to flying is riding for hours through a snowstorm in a freezing cold, broken-down bus one’s fear of flying might dissipate, as what happened on February 3, 1959. In his iconic 1972 song “American Pie” Don McLean dubbed that “The Day the Music Died” because on that day McLean’s musical idol and two other singing stars died in a chartered plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, while en route from one concert venue to another. Related to that event, name one of the items described below. Answer with name or title only; you do not need to include the letter of your choice.

(A) Singing star 1, pictured above
(B) Singing star 2, pictured above (either real name or stage name, both of which will be grouped together)
(C) Singing star 3, pictured above
(D) The future country music star who was originally supposed to be on that flight, but who gave up his seat, and who eventually died 43 years later of complications from diabetes
(E) The title of the 1977 biopic about singing star 1
(F) The actor who portrayed singing star 1 in the biopic
(G) The title of the 1989 biopic about singing star 3
(H) The actor who portrayed singing star 3 in the biopic
(I) The name of singing star 1’s backup group, that because of contractual arrangements received the official credit for many of his early hits
(J) Singing star 3’s girlfriend, whom he immortalized with his biggest chart hit -- first name only is OK
(K) Singing star 4, pictured below, who also died in a small plane crash
(L) Singing star 5, ditto
(M) Singing star 6, ditto

9. If you combined the fear of music (melophobia), the fear of night (noctiphobia) and the fear of dawn or daylight (eosophobia), what would you have? You'd have question 9, in which you are to match a show tune (left column) with the Broadway (or off-Broadway) musical (right column) in which it appeared.

Please answer in the form: Left column letter - right column number, e.g. F-2. Note that there are 14 musicals listed, one of which does not match to any of the show tunes.

10. Name one of the 13 letter words (or proper nouns) described in the Jeopardy! clues below. You don’t need to answer in the form of a question -- in fact, I’d rather that you didn’t -- but the correct spelling is required. The word alone is sufficient; you don't need to include the number of your choice. If the image is not displaying properly inside the spoiler or you require more detail, click here (small), here (large), or here (large picture associated with #4) for standalone images.
Spoiler

11. Name one of the following described below, all of which have something to do with "13." The answer alone is sufficient; you do not need to associate it with a description or letter. Note that there are 4 possible answers for (D) and 2 for (G), all of which will be grouped separately, making a total of 13 distinct answers.

(A) the 13th state to ratify the U.S. Constitution (in 1790)
(B) the subject of the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
(C) the 13th president of the United States
(D) a U.S. president who was in office for at least one month in 1813, 1913 or 2013 (4 possible answers for this choice)
(E) the 13th U.S. state when listed alphabetically
(F) the body of water crossed along an approximately 20 mile continuous stretch of U.S. Route 13
(G) the main U.S. city within a metropolitan area that is served by either area code 213 or 313 (2 possible answers for this choice)
(H) the 13th U.S. state as ranked by population (2013 estimates; 12th is Virginia, 14th is Massachusetts; 12-14 is the same order in 2010 Census)
(I) a huge majority of personal bankruptcy filings in the U.S. are under either Chapter 13 of the U.S. Code or this other Chapter

12. Would you prefer less fear and more loathing or more fear and less loathing? Hunter S. Thompson’s 1971 counter-cultural, semi-biographical novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas naturally followed from literary traditions started years earlier by the Beat Generation authors of the 1950s and the psychedelics and social satirists of the 1960s. Name the author of one of the following books written between 1956 and 1968 that are all closely associated with those traditions. Include the letter choice with your answer.

(A) The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
(B) One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
(C) Franny and Zooey
(D) On the Road
(E) Howl and Other Poems
(F) Naked Lunch
(G) A Clockwork Orange
(H) V.
(I) Catch-22
(J) Cat’s Cradle
(K) The Armies of the Night
(L) Hell's Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
(M) Been Down So Long it Looks Like Up to Me

13. There are several theories regarding the origin of the term, but everyone agrees that a “baker's dozen” is 13, one more than a standard dozen. Provide the answer to one of the following clues, all of which have something to do with “baker.” Just the answer, you do not need to include the letter of your choice.

Note: Jeopardy! rules would dictate that “Baker” alone is not a sufficient answer to any of these, so please don’t make me ask you for more specific information if your answer is a person's name containing "Baker."

(A) The actress who grew up as Norma Jean Baker.
(B) Along with Eric Claption and Jack Bruce, the third member of the Hall of Fame rock band Cream.
(C) Mount Baker, an active volcano, is the third highest mountain in this U.S. state.
(D) The address on Baker Street where Sherlock Holmes lived.
(E) His single “Baker Street” spent 6 weeks at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1978.
(F) The American blues singer who achieved her greatest success in Paris in the 1920s.
(G) The founder of The Church of Christ, Scientist.
(H) Baker’s is a Kraft Foods brand name for this baking ingredient.
(I) The town of Baker, California is located within this desert.
(J) John (Franklin) Baker was a Hall of Fame baseball player best remembered by this nickname.
(K) The American jazz trumpeter extraordinaire and some time vocalist who attained maximum fame in the 1950s.
(L) The U.S. Senator from Tennessee, perhaps best remembered as the ranking Republican on the Senate Watergate Hearings Committee.
(M) The all-star outfielder for the Braves, Dodgers, Giants and Athletics, and later manager of the Giants, Cubs and Reds.
Last edited by RandyG on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Clarifications
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Google form gives hints for the questions, but I found it helpful to have all of mine ready to go on scratch paper ahead of time.

Choices, choices on the TV, Movies, and Sports ones.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

RandyG wrote: ...major league baseball, where the average game attendance this year has been about 31,000. Surprising as it might seem, average attendance was less than half of that in 1958
This didn't seem right to me. After I submitted my entry, I looked up the average MLB attendance per game for 1958. It was about 14,000 per game, according to a graph at beyondtheboxscore.com. Therefore, the average attendance per MLB game in 2014 was more than double the average attendance in 1958.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Abraxas wrote:
RandyG wrote: ...major league baseball, where the average game attendance this year has been about 31,000. Surprising as it might seem, average attendance was less than half of that in 1958
This didn't seem right to me. After I submitted my entry, I looked up the average MLB attendance per game for 1958. It was about 14,000 per game, according to a graph at beyondtheboxscore.com. Therefore, the average attendance per MLB game in 2014 was more than double the average attendance in 1958.
Isn't that what the sentence says?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Is there a bonus for not using the helps? For once, I think I know a correct answer to every question.
Teems with quiet fun.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

lieph82 wrote:
Abraxas wrote:
I see where Abraxas is coming from. I'll change the wording to make it clearer. This bit of trivia doesn't change the nature of the question, though.
Last edited by RandyG on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lieph82 wrote:
Abraxas wrote:
Let's see ....

a "less than half" of b = b "more than double" a

Check! :)
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

immaf wrote:Is there a bonus for not using the helps? For once, I think I know a correct answer to every question.
Nope. No bonuses at all on the quiz. But I will highlight in the reveal anybody who doesn't use a help. Yay!!
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

This is an excellent TD and I'm looking forward to entering. I also have multiple answers for many questions, but I usually fail at "strategizing."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nothing to add, just wanted to be the 13th post in this thread.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Bamaman wrote:Nothing to add, just wanted to be the 13th post in this thread.
And now I have the 13th reply. We should get -13 points. Randy?
BobF

Post by BobF »

Abraxas wrote:
I believe in 1958 you actually had to purchase a ticket AND go to the game to count as part of the attendance. Now, it's tickets sold, not fannies in seats, and many people buy season tickets just to get better seats and some of their tickets go unused.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Superb TD; I usually pass on most of these as hopeless for me, being an ignoramus on pop culture, music, sports and bar trivia, but this one is action-packed, many thanks to RandyG for evidently working long and laboring with love on these clues. So many Pavlovian triggers in here... itching to blurt out spoilers... I did have to take a Wild Card on 'one' clue but the rest were all instagets, hardest part was deciding which response would be least popular! Great job cobbling this together!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Caboom wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Nothing to add, just wanted to be the 13th post in this thread.
And now I have the 13th reply. We should get -13 points. Randy?
No soup for either of you!

BobF wrote: I believe in 1958 you actually had to purchase a ticket AND go to the game to count as part of the attendance. Now, it's tickets sold, not fannies in seats, and many people buy season tickets just to get better seats and some of their tickets go unused.
I think you're right, which does explain a lot. I've watched many a game on MLB.TV this season where attendance was announced at 20, 30, 40k, though looking at the stands there was anywhere from 25-50% of that number. I can't imagine that more than 20% of the people at a game are not in their seats at any given time and I'd even put that estimate on the high side.

goatman wrote:Superb TD; I usually pass on most of these as hopeless for me, being an ignoramus on pop culture, music, sports and bar trivia, but this one is action-packed, many thanks to RandyG for evidently working long and laboring with love on these clues. So many Pavlovian triggers in here... itching to blurt out spoilers... I did have to take a Wild Card on 'one' clue but the rest were all instagets, hardest part was deciding which response would be least popular! Great job cobbling this together!
Thx. :)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Google form gives hints for the questions, but I found it helpful to have all of mine ready to go on scratch paper ahead of time.

Choices, choices on the TV, Movies, and Sports ones.
I just right-clicked on the link for the Google form so I can keep the question window open while I answer.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

I started doing TDs around number 198 or so, and this is my favorite one yet!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Cool beans - I love this new trend of entering via form.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.