Monday, October 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cosmos »

How is "first" a type of burn and a type of murder? Alexander says "First" and Alex says "Yes, first degree." Why no BMS or just rule it incorrect? Made no difference in the end.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cosmos wrote:How is "first" a type of burn and a type of murder? Alexander says "First" and Alex says "Yes, first degree." Why no BMS or just rule it incorrect? Made no difference in the end.
Not that anyone will disagree with you probably, but here is the wording:

Contronyms $800: Least severe type of burn, most severe type of murder
Dr. J wrote:Do we assume that they would have accepted Quasimodo as an acceptable answer, despite the phrasing of the clue? By the time I guessed it, it would have been all I'd have had time to write!
Final Jeopardy! Category: LITERATURE

Final Jeopardy! Clue: A chapter heading in this 19th century work calls the title character "One-eyed, Lame", another calls him "Deaf"

I interpret the clue's wording as using "this" to only point to the novel's title as correct and not the title character shortened to Quasimodo. With a different wording just "The Hunchback" would work. In tonight's case the full thing seems to have been necessary. Solving it with seconds to go would not have worked on stage.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Really TPH? Never heard of the Boston Massacre? This isn't even a "it's been on the show," it's "you learn this in elementary school history."
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:Really TPH? Never heard of the Boston Massacre? This isn't even a "it's been on the show," it's "you learn this in elementary school history."
Assuming I learned history in elementary school, again.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

I did enjoy Frederick on the show, and was expecting a really good story and he delivered!

My best category was Country Music 4/5, not bad considering I barely listen to it nowadays. I only knew about the Band Perry, when I traveled to Houston to meet someone I met online, went to a Rodeo and the Band Perry performed (It didn't work out with this girl, but at least I got a question right!)

Lach trash: Garth Brooks (his song is stuck in my head now), Darius Rucker.

On FJ, I got it in about 5 seconds.

Bacon's Rebellion was a tough DD, I was guessing Boxer's Rebllion but I knew that was wrong as that's in China.
benzylic
Contributor

Post by benzylic »

I liked Frederick. He looked like he was having an absolute blast!
fritzk3
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by fritzk3 »

I was shocked to see Literature as the FJ category when it was used only 2 shows prior!! (October 16th airing)

Frederick had personality, but I felt like his delivery really slowed down the game, leading to non-cleared boards in both rounds. At least Alexander seemed to have the sense of urgency to move the game along. I haven't calculated the exact number, but it feels like somewhere around 60-70% of the boards in season 31 haven't been cleared! (Does anyone else feel like there's somehow less game time this season?)

As others have suggested, I don't know why they let "first" (degree burn/murder) and "Harlequin" (for Harley Quinn) slide. I also thought "counsel" on contranyms, but I don't think this would have satisfied the portion of the clue where one seeks advice, rather than gives it.

Only category I was able to run was Flat Circle, though I got the top 4/5 in Country Music (coming from someone who avoids country music!) and Contranyms.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

fritzk3 wrote: I haven't calculated the exact number, but it feels like somewhere around 60-70% of the boards in season 31 haven't been cleared! (Does anyone else feel like there's somehow less game time this season?)
Going off my scoresheets and not confirming with the archive, I have for Season 31:

J! round complete: 16/26 = 61.54%
DJ! round complete: 7/26 = 26.92%
All 60 clues played: 7/26 = 26.92%

For Season 30 - first 26 games:

J! round complete: 13/26 = 50.00%
DJ! round complete: 5/26 = 19.23%
All 60 clues played: 3/26 = 11.54%

As bad as this season's start has been for seeing all the clues, last season was worse. I don't think it is a timing difference. Contestants overdoing the preambles and manners are public enemy #1. Overly long category names waste time. Lower on the blame totem pole would be the Clue Crew and guest readers. Incorrect responses eat seconds as do all the triple stumpers.

Asides by Alex are part of the game and I would not want to lose those in the name of speed and completeness. The contestant coordinators preach keep the game moving and such things in the green room speech. It does not always take once they are on stage. Rehearsal is the time to drill into the contestants category and amount only. Coach them one on one if necessary. Have the stage manager scare the contestants if need be during the live taping breaks.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

In the weekly poll I will be checking that I liked Frederick.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

mennoknight wrote:At least Frederick got to deliver the show's famous catch phrase: "Alex, I would like to wager all of my money."
Hmm.. Kinda reminds me of something that's been bouncing around the back of my mind for a long while...

I've sometimes had this little fantasy about how I *wish* I might react if I got on the show (won't ever happen, but I can dream...) and hit a DD in a total wheelhouse category such as "The Big Bands"... DD graphic comes up, Alex starts to ask what I'd like to bet, and I quickly reach into my pockets and grab my keys and wallet and slap 'em on the lectern... "Does that answer your question, Alex?" :)

Of course, I wouldn't REALLY do that, not even if I was in the midst of a Ken Jennings-type run (yeah, right)... I'm a wee bit more whole lot more conservative and straight-laced than that... But I can dream :)

Of course, if I ever got on the show, I'd hope I could take less than a week to name a category... Just sayin' :)

I did like Frederick, tho.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Not that it mattered to the outcome, but "Harlequin" (what the contestant said) and "Harley Quinn" are not the same character. I'm surprised they let it slide.
I wondered about that. I knew the character as "Harley Quinn." But I figured maybe she was sometimes referred to as "Harlequin". Is "Harlequin" actually a different character in the DC universe?
BobF

Post by BobF »

I instagot "Hunchback" but then I spent the better part of 20 seconds second-guessing myself because I thought it was a FJ fairly recently.

ETA: I was right! They did another Quasimodo clue just 4 months ago! http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... =quasimodo
Last edited by BobF on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rackme32 wrote:I've sometimes had this little fantasy about how I *wish* I might react if I got on the show (won't ever happen, but I can dream...) and hit a DD in a total wheelhouse category such as "The Big Bands"... DD graphic comes up, Alex starts to ask what I'd like to bet, and I quickly reach into my pockets and grab my keys and wallet and slap 'em on the lectern... "Does that answer your question, Alex?" :)
I've thought about doing a little misdirect, depending on the situation. Four possible variants:

- I've always wanted to say this.... I'll wager $5, Alex.
- I've always wanted to say this... $4,172.
- I've always wanted to say this... but I won't. Just $1000 please.
- I hoped I wouldn't have to say this.... Let's make it a true Daily Double.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

"I've always wanted to say this...Alex, that is a damn fine suit you're wearing. Armani?"
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

zakharov wrote:"I've always wanted to say this...Alex, that is a damn fine suit you're wearing. Armani?"
Those nine-year-olds have little fingers. It's what makes such fine needlework possible.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Not that it mattered to the outcome, but "Harlequin" (what the contestant said) and "Harley Quinn" are not the same character. I'm surprised they let it slide.
I wondered about that. I knew the character as "Harley Quinn." But I figured maybe she was sometimes referred to as "Harlequin". Is "Harlequin" actually a different character in the DC universe?
"Harlequin" is the name given to a couple of different characters, the most famous of whom goes back to the 1940's, where Molly Malone was a villain solely because she wanted to get the Green Lantern's attention. She happened to be his secretary as a civilian, but, of course, neither of them knew that. (Comics!) She later became an informant and spy for the police, and was killed by criminals when she was discovered.

Harley was created for the Batman animated series in the 1990's, and was popular enough they brought her into the comics. She was heavily modeled on a friend of Paul Dini's, the actress Arlene Sorkin, who also provided the character's distinctive voice (think Miss Adelaide of Guys and Dolls with a mostly dysfunctional moral compass). Given the way DC handles its characters, you should never say never, but so far, there has never been any connection between Harley and Molly.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

bpmod wrote:That was a very odd FJ clue. I did get it, but only because I knew guessed that that's what their intended response was. There is no title character (except maybe a building) of Victor Hugo's novel.

Brian
My thoughts exactly. Thought of the "correct" response, then thought, "wait, that would make it a really bad clue", but couldn't come up with anything else, so that was my final answer.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
"Harlequin" is the name given to a couple of different characters, the most famous of whom goes back to the 1940's, where Molly Malone was a villain solely because she wanted to get the Green Lantern's attention. She happened to be his secretary as a civilian, but, of course, neither of them knew that. (Comics!) She later became an informant and spy for the police, and was killed by criminals when she was discovered.

Harley was created for the Batman animated series in the 1990's, and was popular enough they brought her into the comics. She was heavily modeled on a friend of Paul Dini's, the actress Arlene Sorkin, who also provided the character's distinctive voice (think Miss Adelaide of Guys and Dolls with a mostly dysfunctional moral compass). Given the way DC handles its characters, you should never say never, but so far, there has never been any connection between Harley and Molly.
I am most familiar with Harlequin/The Joker's Daughter/Duela Dent, a member of the Teen Titans.
By the way, she is not the Joker's Daughter but the daughter of Harvey Dent a/k/a Two Face.

Harley Quinn is never referred to as Harlequin and Emma should have been negged.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Dr. J wrote:Do we assume that they would have accepted Quasimodo as an acceptable answer, despite the phrasing of the clue? By the time I guessed it, it would have been all I'd have had time to write!
I'd give it to you. There's enough ambiguity in the clues such that I think they'd have to take it (despite complaints otherwise, Quasimodo is the title character).
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:
I'd give it to you. There's enough ambiguity in the clues such that I think they'd have to take it (despite complaints otherwise, Quasimodo is the title character).
The clue required this 19th century work not this title character...