TD 214: Ladies of Shakespeare Know Who I Am

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

TD 214: Ladies of Shakespeare Know Who I Am

Post by eboettch »

Hello and welcome to TD 214! Let’s get right to it.

RULES (mostly cribbed from TD 208, thanks jjwaymee)
1. Please send in your answers by filling out the Google form here. Do NOT post them anywhere in this thread.
2. The deadline for submission is Monday, October 27, 12:00 PM Eastern.
3. The object of the game is to provide the least popular correct answer for each question. Your score for each question will equal the number of people, including yourself, that gave your answer. Incorrect answers will receive double the points of the most popular answer (the sheep) for that question. (Blank answers, as well as multiple DROP’s and SHEEP’s, will be counted as incorrect.) The lowest final score wins!
4. You may DROP one question by submitting DROP instead of an answer. That will give you a score of zero points for that question.
5. You may take the SHEEP score on one question by submitting SHEEP instead of an answer. You will receive the number of points the most popular correct answer received for that question.
6. There are four bonus questions at the end of the quiz that allow you to subtract up to 10 points from your score. There is no penalty for wrong answers for bonuses.
7. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that is in your brain, and only the wealth of information that is in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when the questions are posted and the time you submit your answer, it’s acceptable to use that.
8. The first tiebreaker will be pre-bonus score, followed by number of singletons, then number of doubletons.
9. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message, unless you’re sure your question won’t accidentally reveal an answer or hint at one. If needed, I’ll post a clarification below the questions.
10. Various rules that are embedded in the questions that I’ll repeat here: when there’s an identification involved (questions 2, 3, 7, 9, 11, 12, and bonuses 2 and 4), give the letter (or in the case of bonuses, the relevant identifying info) in your response, otherwise it will be marked wrong. I don’t care about spelling as long as you give an answer that would plausibly be pronounced the same; “Emanciptation Proclamation” is a no-no, but “Emancipayshun Proclamation” is fine.

Thanks to RandyG for beta testing, nightreign for her blessing on the Harry Potter question, and Vermonter for the TD Tracker™.
Last edited by eboettch on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 214: Ladies of Shakespeare Know Who I Am

Post by eboettch »

QUESTIONS:

1. JULIA is a character in The Two Gentlemen of Verona. JULIE & JULIA is a film for which Meryl Streep was nominated for an Oscar but did not win. Name another film for which Meryl Streep was nominated for an Oscar (Best Actress or Best Supporting Actress), but did not win. (14 possible answers)

2. BIANCA is a character in The Taming of the Shrew. BIANCA is also a color (white) in Italian. Translate one of the following colors from Italian to English. Specify the letter you’re referring to in your answer.
A. blu
B. grigio
C. rosa
D. verde
E. arancione
F. nero
G. porpora
H. giallo
I. rosso
J. marrone

3. MARGARET is a character in Henry VI, Part 1. MARGARET THATCHER was the first female prime minister of the UK. Name the first woman to have held one of the positions below (on a permanent, not interim or acting basis). Specify the letter you’re referring to in your answer.
A. president, Brazil
B. president, Chile
C. prime minister, Denmark
D. chancellor, Germany
E. prime minister, India
F. president, Ireland
G. prime minister, Israel
H. prime minister, Jamaica
I. president, Liberia
J. prime minister, Pakistan
K. president, Philippines
L. prime minister, Canada

4. JULIET is a character in Romeo and Juliet. JULIETT is a word used in the ICAO radio telephony alphabet (aka the NATO phonetic alphabet) that would be worth more than 10 points in Scrabble if the point values of the individual letters were added up. Name another ICAO radio telephony alphabet word for which the sum of its letters in Scrabble tiles is worth 10 or more points. (12 possible answers)
(Note: I will be using the spellings given by the ICAO as guidelines for calculating point values. If you, however, misspell an eligible answer, I will not care, as long as it would plausibly be pronounced the same way.)
(Note: Not all of the ICAO code words are permitted by the Scrabble dictionary, but ignore that for this question.)
(Note: ICAO gives the spelling for the first code word as Alfa, not Alpha; therefore, it is not an eligible response for this question.)

5. HELENA is a character in A Midsummer Night’s Dream. HELENA is also the current capital of a US state admitted in 1889 or later. Name another current capital of a US state that was admitted in 1889 or later. (11 possible answers)
(Note: the current capital of the last state to be admitted before 1889 is Denver.)

6. PORTIA is a character in The Merchant of Venice. PORTIA DE ROSSI is an actress credited with 68 episodes of the TV series Arrested Development and with 89 episodes of Ally McBeal. Name another actor or actress credited with at least 68 episodes of Arrested Development or at least 89 episodes of Ally McBeal. (14 possible answers)
(Note: Ron Howard, though the narrator throughout Arrested Development, was uncredited and therefore is not an eligible answer for this question.)

7. HERO is a character in Much Ado About Nothing. “HERO” is a song that reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1993. From the lyrics below, identify one of the following songs that also reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1993. Specify the letter you’re referring to in your answer.
A. “If I should stay, I would only be in your way”
B. “Tell me princess, now when did you last let your heart decide?”
C. “A licky boom boom down, police them comin in for me now they blow down me door”
D. “Baby don’t you understand, I want to be your nasty man”
E. “Like a moth to a flame, burned by the fire, my love is blind, can’t you see my desire”
F. “I don’t know what it is that you’ve done to me, but it’s caused me to act in such a crazy way”
G. “Wise men say, only fools rush in”
H. “I need you so desperately, won’t you please come around, ‘cause I wanna share forever with you baby”
I. “Maybe I’m crazy, but it’s crazy and it’s true, I know you can save me, no one else can save me now but you”
J. “I heard from a friend today, and she said you were in town”

8. CELIA is a character in As You Like It. CELIA is also a name given by the National Hurricane Center to Atlantic hurricanes that has since been retired. Name a hurricane name given by the NHC to Atlantic hurricanes that was retired in 2006 or later. (16 possible answers)
(Note: if a hurricane name is retired, it is retired the year after the storm hits. Therefore, hurricane names that were retired because of storms that hit in 2005 are eligible for this question.)

9. ISABELLA is a character in Measure for Measure. QUEEN ISABELLA was a person featured on a US postage stamp for her contributions to exploration. Identify one of the following explorers on a US stamp below (full size images can be found here and here). Specify the letter you’re referring to in your answer. (11 possible answers)
(Note: item C refers to the man in the lower left of the stamp; item D refers to the man located above and to the right.)
(Note: each stamp specifies the person’s name in the caption, hence the blacked-out bits. Though some of the stamps depict additional, unspecified figures, I am looking for the names in the captions.)

10. HERMIONE is a character in The Winter’s Tale. HERMIONE GRANGER is one of the top 9 Harry Potter characters most mentioned by name. Name another Harry Potter character who is one of the nine most mentioned by name in the series. (8 possible answers)
(Note: I will accept a character’s first name, as well as their last name, if the character is primarily referred to by his or her first name in the series. For example, I would accept “Hermione,” “Granger” or “Hermione Granger” if Hermione Granger were an eligible answer for this question, since Hermione is primarily referred to as Hermione, there are no other major characters surnamed Granger, and Hermione Granger is her full name, respectively.)
(Note: mentions are tallied by the character’s proper name - first, last, or first and last together - as well as nicknames and pseudonyms, but do not include pronouns or phrases like “the cleverest witch her age,” even when they clearly point to the character.)
(Note: The tenth most mentioned character was Fred Weasley, with 920 mentions.)

11. MIRANDA is a character in The Tempest. ERNESTO MIRANDA was a notable Supreme court plaintiff (Miranda v. Arizona, 1966). Identify the plaintiff associated with the defendant and year of a Supreme Court decision below. Please identify which letter you are identifying the plaintiff for in your answer.

A. v. Madison, 1803
B. v. Ogden, 1824
C. v. Sandford, 1857
D. v. Ferguson, 1896
E. v. Board of Education, 1954
F. v. Wainwright, 1963
G. v. Carr, 1962
H. v. Des Moines Independent Community School District, 1969
I. v. Gore, 2000
J. v. Bollinger, 2003
K. v. Hobby Lobby, 2014

12. KATHERINE is a character in Henry VIII. KATHERINE GRAINGER is a 2012 Olympic gold medalist. Identify the 2012 Olympic gold medalist in one of the following events. Please indicate which event you are identifying the medalist for in your answer.

A. Athletics - men’s 200 meters
B. Athletics - men’s 5000 meters
C. Artistic gymnastics - women’s individual all-around
D. Artistic gymnastics - women’s floor
E. Gymnastics - women’s individual trampoline
F. Swimming - men’s 100 m butterfly
G. Swimming - men’s 400 m individual medley
H. Swimming - women’s 200 m backstroke
I. Tennis - men’s singles
J. Tennis - women’s singles
K. Volleyball - women’s beach

(Note: K has two possible answers, since women’s beach volleyball is played in teams of two. I want you to name one, and only one, of the two players. Points will be accumulated separately. For example, if the winning team was composed of Jane Doe and Jill Smith, you could answer either Jane Doe or Jill Smith (not both). If five people respond Jane Doe and three people respond Jill Smith, the people who said Jane Doe will get five points, and the people who said Jill Smith will get three points.)

BONUSES. There is no penalty for incorrect guesses; however, you may not submit more guesses than the maximum number of discounted points for each question (1 guess for B1, two guesses for B2, three for B3, four for B4).
1. The title of this TD is a (fairly tenuous) reference to “Ladies of Cambridge (Boston)”, a song by which spookily named indie rock group for which Ezra Koenig sings lead vocals? (-1 point)
2. Shakespeare recycled quite a few names from play to play. Name the character from questions 1-12 whose name (perhaps spelled differently) was reused in one of the following plays. Include the play in your response. (-1 point each, max of -2 points)
ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS WELL, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, HENRY V, JULIUS CAESAR, LOVE’S LABOUR’S LOST, OTHELLO
3. Name Shakespeare’s wife or daughters (-1 point each, max of -3 points)
4. Name the lady from questions 1-12 who is or becomes engaged or married to one of the following Shakespearean gents. Include which gent you’re matching the lady with in your response. (-1 each, max of -4 points)
BASSANIO, CLAUDIO, DEMETRIUS, FERDINAND, LEONTES, LUCENTIO, OLIVER, PROTEUS, VINCENTIO
Last edited by eboettch on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

CLARIFICATIONS:

Ugh, I don't know what's going on with the images, but I will work on embedding them. In the meantime, the links to the full-size ones should work and I'd recommend you make use of them anyway. Fixed. Though I'll still recommend looking at the full-size ones; some of that text is as helpful as it is small.

For question 4 (JULIET), you may not look up Scrabble tile values before answering.

For the third bonus, you do not have to specify if you are identifying the wife or a daughter.

LIST OF ENTRANTS:
  1. sarah0114
  2. Gamawire
  3. Tpmorrison
  4. MarkBarrett
  5. Shaymin
  6. Abraxas
  7. Peachbox
  8. Vermonter
  9. psgola
  10. Ryno
  11. Magna
  12. Vanya
  13. immaf
  14. waterloo_guy
  15. Peggles
  16. CheezeWhiz
  17. dott888
  18. brainpower
  19. ElendilPickle
  20. doihavetoreally
  21. nserven
  22. sethmoko
  23. BobF
  24. clprez
  25. Creed Bratton
  26. Turd Ferguson
  27. jgamer
  28. Blue Lion
  29. SavoyGirl
  30. Caboom
  31. goforthetie
  32. debramc
  33. JeopardyMom
  34. Bamaman
  35. periwinkle
  36. RandyG
  37. dnbguy
  38. whatisbishkek
  39. spell4yr
  40. econgator
  41. Rackme32
  42. Woppy T
  43. barandall800
  44. lpmastor
  45. Tigershark
  46. tjconn728
  47. jjwaymee
  48. ihavejeoprosy
  49. Sherm
  50. mitchparov
Last edited by eboettch on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 14 times in total.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Another awesome TD. Another TD that shows how much I don't know :?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Very very cool theme for a TD!!
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

periwinkle wrote:Very very cool theme for a TD!!
Agreed! And luckily for me, I know more about Shakespeare than I do Broadway plays.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

eboettch wrote:
Thanks to RandyG for beta testing, nightreign for her blessing on the Harry Potter question, and Vermonter for the TD Tracker™.
Absolutely no problem. Great premise and much more creative than mine.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

What an awesome concept for a TD. I'm mulling over my answers.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Peggles wrote:What an awesome concept for a TD. I'm mulling over my answers.
You sure you're not mewling over them, Peggles? :P
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

gamawire wrote:
Agreed! And luckily for me, I know more about Shakespeare than I do Broadway plays.
And luckily for me, the quiz isn't really about Shakespeare (except for the bonuses) as I know next to nothing about either.
Aer0
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Aer0 »

Caboom wrote:
gamawire wrote:
And luckily for me, the quiz isn't really about Shakespeare (except for the bonuses) as I know next to nothing about either.
I think I'm about to shame myself, but I can't resist the theme.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

eboettch wrote: Thanks to RandyG for beta testing, nightreign for her blessing on the Harry Potter question, and Vermonter for the TD Tracker™.
Happy to help.

And let this be proof that reviewing and commenting on a quiz ahead of time, even weeks in advance, is not a lick of help with performing on the quiz. Whatever I didn't know before -- which was a significant portion -- I still have no clue on.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Woof wrote:
What makes you think Peggles looks like a schoolboy, Jaques? ;)
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Updates:
There was an error in 7A which has been fixed, and a few clarifications have been added. I'll send out response confirmations and update the list of entrants tonight.

And thanks for the kind words, everyone; I had a lot of fun writing this, and I'm glad other people are enjoying it.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
Woof wrote:
What makes you think Peggles looks like a schoolboy, Jaques? ;)
IF I were prone to mewling, I'd be a mewling schoolgirl. But you can do As You Like (It).
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Update: I should have been more specific for Question 4 - I am looking for words in the ICAO radio telephony alphabet, not all ICAO code words which is a much broader category. Sorry about that.

Also! I'm sending you PM's of your answers, which I would urge you to look over. Some people have gotten burned pretty badly by either typos or not identifying letters - don't be one of them. You're always free to change an answer via PM, provided you haven't done any outside research.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

You know you are in trouble when you notice that you have blank answers AFTER choosing sheep/drop! Making others look better :)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Just under 72 hours to go, folks. Over 40 singletons (and some very surprising ones, at that) still up for the taking, and only one question's received all possible correct responses so far. TD glory is within your reach!

As always, shoot me a PM with any questions or revised answers.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

About a day and a half to go! Still 38 singletons left, spread over 10 questions and hiding in some odd places.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

It's crunch time! With doubletons still available for all questions, singletons still available for 10, and the possibility of -10 bonus points, you, yes, YOU could finish this TD with a single-digit score. Only fifteen hours left!