Tuesday, October 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Woppy T wrote:That was nice of Elizabeth to offer Deb $1000.
Really. What was she thinking? That the champ was going to bet large with the game in hand? Oh, my.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

BobF wrote:I started to think about sporting events/competitions when I saw the word "losses", but realized the error of my ways about half way through "Think". Lots of Lach Trash on the "UV" category.
Exactly what I thought (some kind of competition), but I couldn't pull out FJ in time.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Never heard of souchong; neither had my girlfriend, who is from China. Maybe it was Alex's pronunciation or the on-screen rendering. I've sent her the Chinese Wikipedia article on it, so we'll see if that turns on a lightbulb.

Incidentally, "souchong" isn't mentioned in the Wikipedia article about the Boston Tea Party. Recognizing that souchong is a tea would seem to be the largest part of getting this clue right. Did anyone guess correctly without knowing that souchong is a tea, based on some other route?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote:
Really. What was she thinking? That the champ was going to bet large with the game in hand? Oh, my.
Contestants seem to be offering more ties these days, maybe because of Vermonter or Arthur Chu. I know neither one would recommend a tie wager to a player with a runaway. But maybe Alexander doesn't understand that nuance. Maybe he's just internalized the idea that wagering to tie is a better strategy than wagering to win. Maybe he's not thinking about that at all but he's just a guy with a big heart or a crush on me or a fear of making the Julia Collins error. Maybe he thinks I'm a weak opponent and would rather play me again than take his chances against a potential next Ken Jennings. That's what I'd be thinking in Elizabeth's position. Losing the extra $1000 would bug me a little. Not coming back for a game 2 because I rejected the champ's offer would bug me a LOT.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A DJ! leader wagering to tie would seem to be more justifiable, not less, when there has been a lockout.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:Incidentally, "souchong" isn't mentioned in the Wikipedia article about the Boston Tea Party. Recognizing that souchong is a tea would seem to be the largest part of getting this clue right. Did anyone guess correctly without knowing that souchong is a tea, based on some other route?
Just the opposite for me. I know that souchong is a tea and I still muffed this softball. I've got a cup of lapsang souchong next to me as I type this. Admittedly, that's only because the clue and this discussion brought it to mind. But the point is, I had some on hand. I didn't have to put on pants and go to the store.

Yet, given a clue that essentially said A BUNCH OF TEA WAS LOST AT THIS 18TH CENTURY EVENT, I couldn't work my way to the correct response in 30 seconds.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Robert K S wrote:A DJ! leader wagering to tie would seem to be more justifiable, not less, when there has been a lockout.
Indeed, particularly when she had underbet a crucial DD…

But risking a guaranteed $10,200 on a single question is beyond most players' stomachs
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had never heard of it, but guessed it was a tea because it sounded Chinese to me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote:Did anyone guess correctly without knowing that souchong is a tea, based on some other route?
See my previous post.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

opusthepenguin wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Contestants seem to be offering more ties these days, maybe because of Vermonter or Arthur Chu. I know neither one would recommend a tie wager to a player with a runaway. But maybe Alexander doesn't understand that nuance. Maybe he's just internalized the idea that wagering to tie is a better strategy than wagering to win. Maybe he's not thinking about that at all but he's just a guy with a big heart or a crush on me or a fear of making the Julia Collins error. Maybe he thinks I'm a weak opponent and would rather play me again than take his chances against a potential next Ken Jennings. That's what I'd be thinking in Elizabeth's position. Losing the extra $1000 would bug me a little. Not coming back for a game 2 because I rejected the champ's offer would bug me a LOT.
Interesting point. Perhaps she was thinking--hoping--that Alexander would offer the tie. Aside from a Clavin, she had no other chance of winning, so I guess betting it all made some sense (if this was in fact her thought pattern). I think that if I were ever in her position I might risk the $1000 on the slim chance that the leader will offer the tie.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Incidentally, "souchong" isn't mentioned in the Wikipedia article about the Boston Tea Party. Recognizing that souchong is a tea would seem to be the largest part of getting this clue right. Did anyone guess correctly without knowing that souchong is a tea, based on some other route?
Just the opposite for me. I know that souchong is a tea and I still muffed this softball. I've got a cup of lapsang souchong next to me as I type this. Admittedly, that's only because the clue and this discussion brought it to mind. But the point is, I had some on hand. I didn't have to put on pants and go to the store.
I remember Robotnik drinking lapsang souchong in an episode of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Laugh all you want; you never know where you'll pick something up. I once got a Lord of the Rings clue right despite having read or watched absolutely zero seconds of it, simply by throwing out a name I'd seen more than once in FoxTrot.
Bamaman wrote:I had never heard of it, but guessed it was a tea because it sounded Chinese to me.
Incidentally, that same line of thinking made both me and Mark neg on the Everest clue simply because the name in the clue sounded Japanese.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

As I mentioned above, it reminded me of oolong.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I used to drink lapsang souchong a lot, but, naturally, I lapsed. Still, the memory was enough to ring a bell, or whistle a kettle, for tea.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So who got louver? I didn't, since I've barely heard of the word.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So who got louver? I didn't, since I've barely heard of the word.
Easily
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Robert K S wrote:Never heard of souchong; neither had my girlfriend, who is from China. Maybe it was Alex's pronunciation or the on-screen rendering. I've sent her the Chinese Wikipedia article on it, so we'll see if that turns on a lightbulb.

Incidentally, "souchong" isn't mentioned in the Wikipedia article about the Boston Tea Party. Recognizing that souchong is a tea would seem to be the largest part of getting this clue right. Did anyone guess correctly without knowing that souchong is a tea, based on some other route?
The "barrels were lost" part led me straight to it. I totally ignored the souchong part.
It may have helped that I've definitely heard the Boston Tea Party described in the context of how much tea they lost.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Robert K S wrote:Never heard of souchong; neither had my girlfriend, who is from China. Maybe it was Alex's pronunciation or the on-screen rendering. I've sent her the Chinese Wikipedia article on it, so we'll see if that turns on a lightbulb.

Chest being lost led me toward a ship being sunk, and I spent 10 seconds or so trying to come up with a Asian ship that wrecked in the 1700's, and thought that's too hard. Came back to the US and the Boston Tea party got in my head pretty fast. I then thought souchong is very likely a tea. It was getable without knowing souchong is a tea, but not nearly as easy as it would have been if you did know.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:Part of it was that my brain did what it too often does. I saw "18th century" and thought "1800s".
This is exactly why I don't usually even bother guessing in those "What century did this happen" categories, because I keep thinking X00's = Xth century. (That, and I often don't even have an idea as to the right millennium, as shown by my not knowing that Muhammad was before 1000.)
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Bamaman wrote:I was hoping Elizabeth would make a late charge and finish within $2,400 of breaking the lock.

I had never heard of that stuff and was hoping Alex's pronunciation would help. It sounded Chinese so my first thought was the Boxer Rebellion. But that was too late for the 18th Century. Then I thought it might be a type of tea and I was home free.

Strong game by Alex, but I was mad we missed the last baseball clue.
Well that's twice in two days I've answered Boxer rebellion when asked for a historical event that happened in America. It's bound to come up soon, so I'll just keep repeating it until it does. :lol:
And yesterday's clue even had "American" in the category name, which I decided to ignore when prompted for a rebellion starting with B. :oops:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Part of it was that my brain did what it too often does. I saw "18th century" and thought "1800s".
This is exactly why I don't usually even bother guessing in those "What century did this happen" categories, because I keep thinking X00's = Xth century. (That, and I often don't even have an idea as to the right millennium, as shown by my not knowing that Muhammad was before 1000.)
You being apparently stuck in the early 20th century explains a lot.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012