Wednesday, October 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by flemmingfan »

Thanks Owlex for informing us that Nepal is a country.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

"Jungle Love" was a bit of misleading clue for Guns N' Roses. Sure they recorded "Welcome to the Jungle", but "Jungle Love" was the title of different songs by The Steve Miller Band and Morris Day and the Time.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILER

Post by seaborgium »

flemmingfan wrote:Thanks Owlex for informing us that Nepal is a country.
It almost seemed as though someone on the show had given it as a response to a clue asking for a city and he was trying to help set her straight. Oh wait, that's exactly what happened!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Vermonter wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I'm sure Alex is told a little about the clues in each game, but I doubt he has time to study them in depth.[/spoiler]
Alex has a long meeting with the writing staff each morning in which they go over every single clue for that day's games. In particular, he's looking to ensure he knows how to pronounce everything – but he often also points out errors or confusing details.
Man, whoever complained that J! is slow on the social media needs to take that back. ;)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Anyone else confuse "muscle" for "mussel" in the deltoid question? I think my mind just went there due to the previous CRABBY! category.
I was thrown off right there with you and similarly confused. If I recall, it was a video clue so there was no written text to go by (reminds me of that "Lincoln director" clue from a few weeks ago that was also a video with no written text and similarly confusing).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vermonter wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I'm sure Alex is told a little about the clues in each game, but I doubt he has time to study them in depth.[/spoiler]
Alex has a long meeting with the writing staff each morning in which they go over every single clue for that day's games. In particular, he's looking to ensure he knows how to pronounce everything – but he often also points out errors or confusing details.
Man, whoever complained that J! is slow on the social media needs to take that back. ;)
J! may not be too slow, but it is quite apparent that many of those commenting are. And, forgive this social media neophyte, but why do the comments (by and large) have nothing to do with what they are commenting on?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

bpmod wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
J! may not be too slow, but it is quite apparent that many of those commenting are. And, forgive this social media neophyte, but why do the comments (by and large) have nothing to do with what they are commenting on?

Brian
I stopped reading after some seemingly-knowledgeable person commented, about Alex not being the first host, 'I believe Art JAMES was the first host.' Another example of the idiocy of people who have access to information at their fingertips, but who won't look it up if they're not sure. For some people, whatever site they're posting on is the only one that exists.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

MarkBarrett wrote:The requested CRABBY! $1600 clue: A crab's front legs develop into claws called chelae, better known by this "ouchy" name

Mike said "pinchers" and Alex took it while saying "pincers."
1) The simplest explanation is that pincers and pinchers are two separate words with a synonymous lexical sense in this context.

2) The more complex explanation is that pincers is pronounced both ways. The word contains the consonantal cluster /ns/ which for a large group of speakers is actually realized in speech as [nts]. The most famous example of this is often used to comedic effect:

The reason for this epenthesis, or interceding sound, is because the alveolar nasal /n/ is technically a prolonged stop, releasing it causes the alveolar stop /t/ to briefly appear in the transition to the sibilant /s/. This also happens between bilabial /m/ and an /s/ where the epenthetic bilabial stop /p/ will pop up - commonly in patronymic surnames: Sim(on) + son => Simson => Simpson; Thom(as) + son => Thomson => Thompson. (The progenitors were not called "Simp" and "Thomp"; although that would have been awesome.) So just remember when nasals meet other consonants, fun underlying things can happen (cf. dreamed vs. dream(p)t, et al.)

We went from [pɪɴsɚz] => [pɪɴtsɚz]. How do we get to [pɪɴɚz]? (/tʃ/ being the sound spelled "(t)ch"). Same way we get from catsup to ketchup. English prefers [ts] to come at the end of words likes in thousands of our plurals, where it is no problem. But when [ts] is word-initial and at syllable boundaries, it causes trouble. We especially change or delete part of it in foreign loanwords like tsunami, tsar and tsetse (where is it rendered differently twice in one word). Inside a polysyllabic English word and under the right conditions, [ts] can become [tʃ].

So which explanation is it? Merriam-Webster and the OED go the pronunciation route, citing [pɪɴtʃɚz]/pinchers as a specifically American pronunciation for pincers. Dictionary.com prefers to cross-reference pinchers as a "see also" in the pincers entry. I think it is both the phonetics and the semantics tugging at each other. Your concern is not without merit because the interesting linguistic interplay here has warranted past analysis and documentation. Either way, Matt was ruled correct because pinchers has been addressed and accepted as a contextual substitute for pincers. I answered "pinchers" but I am specifically American. I can see why Alex as a native Commonwealthorianite would say "pincers".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

UiscePreston wrote:Merriam-Webster and the OED go the pronunciation route, citing [pɪɴtʃɚz]/pinchers as a specifically American pronunciation for pincers.
Interesting. Never in my life have I heard them called "pinchers". I didn't know there was another pronunciation for "pincers".

And, yes, I am American.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The vagaries of pronunciation are interesting. The one I'm noticing a lot lately is people who pronounce words that start with st as if there's an sh in there. So the word "strength" comes out as "shtrength." It's weird.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:The vagaries of pronunciation are interesting. The one I'm noticing a lot lately is people who pronounce words that start with st as if there's an sh in there. So the word "strength" comes out as "shtrength." It's weird.
A few years ago, I remember Larry King doing vitamin ads where he said it as "strenth", as in rhyming with "tenth". He also said "orn-juice" instead of "orange juice". I slur my words, but I can at least say those two words without eliding them into each other.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:And, yes, I am American.
So you claim ...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Onairb wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
Vermonter wrote:

Brian
I stopped reading after some seemingly-knowledgeable person commented, about Alex not being the first host, 'I believe Art JAMES was the first host.' Another example of the idiocy of people who have access to information at their fingertips, but who won't look it up if they're not sure. For some people, whatever site they're posting on is the only one that exists.
I was wondering if any of the episodes where Alex wore a sweater were posted on you tube. I never saw them.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:She would have lost if she had gotten it wrong because she bet more than she should. She had both of the other players MSBIW beat, so she can win on a TS by standing pat. If she is going to bet that much, she might as well go all in, which would have been beneficial as Alexander offered her a tie.

[/spoiler]
I figured somebody else would notice that. Give her all credit for her fine sole get, but you are right that she would have lost on the TS, where a proper wager from her would have won. She'
ll have to do better than that to win many games.

From the clue I thought:

1. date suggests New World, so eliminate Eastern hemisphere (which is why I wasn't ;impressed by the guess of "Java.") (never thought about Australia or thereabouts, so I got lucky)

2. size of island eliminates pretty much eliminates Latin America except for Tierra del Fuego and Cuba (not named for people)

3. That leaves Canada.

4. Thought briefly whether it might be Ellsmere, but settled on Baffin with fair degree of certainty. (WHEW)

Combination of good knowledge, good sussing out skills, and luck. Sounds like Jeopardy! to me.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

econgator wrote:
UiscePreston wrote:Merriam-Webster and the OED go the pronunciation route, citing [pɪɴtʃɚz]/pinchers as a specifically American pronunciation for pincers.
Interesting. Never in my life have I heard them called "pinchers". I didn't know there was another pronunciation for "pincers".

And, yes, I am American.
The problem with debating the pronunciation is that "pincers" doesn't really fit the "ouchy" part of the clue, where "pinchers" does.

It would have been interesting if one of the contestants said "pincers" and were negged.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

UiscePreston wrote:\ Either way, Matt was ruled correct because pinchers has been addressed and accepted as a contextual substitute for pincers. I answered "pinchers" but I am specifically American. I can see why Alex as a native Commonwealthorianite would say "pincers".
I am generally American.

Srsly, why would someone who appears to study language to death use such a nonsensical adjective (wait, is it an adverb? ends in ly...hmmm) with American? Or use a made up word such as Commonwealthorianite? And which commonwealth is it?

I'll probably regret asking.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Vanya wrote:
UiscePreston wrote:\ Either way, Matt was ruled correct because pinchers has been addressed and accepted as a contextual substitute for pincers. I answered "pinchers" but I am specifically American. I can see why Alex as a native Commonwealthorianite would say "pincers".
I am generally American.

Srsly, why would someone who appears to study language to death use such a nonsensical adjective (wait, is it an adverb? ends in ly...hmmm) with American? Or use a made up word such as Commonwealthorianite? And which commonwealth is it?

I'll probably regret asking.
That word returns no hits on google, not even this page.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

I said Spanish stairs when asked for "these stairs", instead of Spanish Steps. I also said burning instead of burning a hole. :D Judges?
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Caboom wrote:I said Spanish stairs when asked for "these stairs", instead of Spanish Steps. I also said burning instead of burning a hole. :D Judges?
Sorry, I'd say no on both. On "burning", you'd probably get a pause and stare for a few seconds to allow you to finish the phrase. Would you have been able to if that happened?
Sheepin' it real.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote:The vagaries of pronunciation are interesting. The one I'm noticing a lot lately is people who pronounce words that start with st as if there's an sh in there. So the word "strength" comes out as "shtrength." It's weird.
This has been driving me crazy for a couple of years. I've thought about doing a pet peeves post on it. It seems to me it's a recent phenomenon, and I wish I knew where it came from. (Maybe our language scholar knows...) Stephen Colbert is one I notice doing it, and it seems to me more men than women do. Maybe people think they sound too sibilant if they make the sound the standard way?
Appropriately, I was BAFFled by this FJ, since I barely knew the name Baffin Island. I said Tasmania...