Wednesday, October 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Austin Powers »

Eliot is hardly a horrible guess. It's bad mainly because I don't think he moved over to England until almost the same time that James naturalized there, but at least he moved there. James' novels are terrible and not really read today, but I suppose one could get to him because so much of his work is about the ex-pat experience.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Ryno wrote:I don't remember how that clue was worded, but Milosevic served as the President of Serbia from 91 to 97.
No he didn't, as was pointed out there was no country called "Serbia" at that time. '91 was just when Yugoslavia was starting to break up (and Milosevic's leading of the forces is the notoriety that gained him a spot in this category), and as long as there were still at least 2 countries still joined together in union, there was a Yugoslavia. In 2003 it changed its name to "Serbia & Montenegro" since those were the only two countries still in federation (although the land area was no different since the mid '90s from what had been called "Yugoslavia") until Montenegro finally declared independence in 2006, putting final nail in Yugoslavia-in-everything-but-name's coffin.[/quote]
Partial credit, dk. He -was- president of a political region called Serbia within Yugoslavia during that time.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JJessen wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Jennifer was introduced as being from Utah. Stanford must be a bad word there because she gave her response like it was painful to say it.
I noticed that, too. Maybe she's a Cal grad.
Was it that obvious? :/

Stanford isn't a bad word in Utah, it's just a bad word to me. Mostly because I wasted $100 and about a month of my life building the perfect application and got back a six-sentence form rejection saying apparently I wasn't good enough for them.

But I did the math, and it's several times harder to get onto Jeopardy than it is to get accepted into Stanford or any other Ivy-League level school. And if nothing else, that month spent working on the application gave me the right answer when I needed it. Take that, Cardinals.

And yeah, if I'd gotten Twilight, I would have responded similarly. :)
Welcome, Jenica, and congratulations! And just to inaugurate you properly with the nitpickiness that only JBoard can provide, 'Cardinal' is singular. It is the Stanford Cardinal. Now you can console yourself with that perhaps being the reason they didn't admit you. Your credentials were all in order, but you just had to pluralize it, which got your application thrown in the 'Reject' pile. I do interviewing for my alma mater. I see some amazing-seeming kids get rejected. The way I describe it is, "What, you didn't cure cancer in high school? Ooh, sorry, you're not getting in."

Which reminds me of a quote (I forget who): Jews don't consider a fetus to be fully formed until after they graduate medical school.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

fowlerism wrote:Add me to the T.S. Eliot room of shame. It's getting crowded in here.
Anybody want to talk about Michelangelo?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Welcome to the board, Jenica. Congratulations on getting the label "Jeopardy! Champion" and thank you for answering my questions.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Austin Powers wrote:Eliot is hardly a horrible guess. It's bad mainly because I don't think he moved over to England until almost the same time that James naturalized there, but at least he moved there. James' novels are terrible and not really read today, but I suppose one could get to him because so much of his work is about the ex-pat experience.
In an academic context, I can tell you Williams College has taught 5 courses specifically about James and 11 courses that read at least one of James's novels in the past two years. But yeah, Oprah's not going to pick one of his novels anytime soon.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was more or less dumbstruck by FJ. The only thing that crossed my mind was Mark Twain and I knew that was dead wrong.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I was more or less dumbstruck by FJ. The only thing that crossed my mind was Mark Twain and I knew that was dead wrong.
I didn't. I didn't necessarily think it was right, but it was all I had.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My girlfriend said Twain, too. Of course, he was well-traveled but never expatriated.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote:My girlfriend said Twain, too. Of course, he was well-traveled but never expatriated.
And he died in 1910, prior to the year mentioned in the answer.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Ryno wrote:I don't remember how that clue was worded, but Milosevic served as the President of Serbia from 91 to 97.
No he didn't, as was pointed out there was no country called "Serbia" at that time. '91 was just when Yugoslavia was starting to break up (and Milosevic's leading of the forces is the notoriety that gained him a spot in this category), and as long as there were still at least 2 countries still joined together in union, there was a Yugoslavia. In 2003 it changed its name to "Serbia & Montenegro" since those were the only two countries still in federation (although the land area was no different since the mid '90s from what had been called "Yugoslavia") until Montenegro finally declared independence in 2006, putting final nail in Yugoslavia-in-everything-but-name's coffin.
Partial credit, dk. He -was- president of a political region called Serbia within Yugoslavia during that time.
"Political region" is too weak. Yugoslav states were countries at least as much as the main divisions of UK are, and those are regularly referred to as "countries" on J!

So what happened? (I didn't watch the show.) Did someone say Serbia and get negged? This is a gray area, because J! usually accepts "Russia" when the correct response is USSR. It would be consistent with that to accept "Serbia" for FR Yugoslavia (but not, of course, for SFR Yugoslavia, which was a completely different country).* Also, "Serbia and Montenegro" should be acceptable for FR Yugoslavia in all contexts except in clues specifically about name changes. (I am sure "Egypt" is acceptable for UAR in the 1961-70 period, and there is no difference.)

* ETA: For the record, I do not think "Russia" should ever be acceptable for USSR or "Serbia" for FRY/S&M. I'm just saying what has traditionally been accepted on the show and what consistency requires.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I delayed watching J! until Bumgarner came into the game and then I urgently needed something to take my mind off the inevitable. But J! was over much too soon. :D

Is it fair for Alex to say he needs the initials when the contestant has forgotten that the category requires initials? That didn't seem like a BMS situation to me, but rather the contestant was just wrong. In general, Alex tells them they forgot the category only after saying they are incorrect.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gnash wrote:
Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
No he didn't, as was pointed out there was no country called "Serbia" at that time. '91 was just when Yugoslavia was starting to break up (and Milosevic's leading of the forces is the notoriety that gained him a spot in this category), and as long as there were still at least 2 countries still joined together in union, there was a Yugoslavia. In 2003 it changed its name to "Serbia & Montenegro" since those were the only two countries still in federation (although the land area was no different since the mid '90s from what had been called "Yugoslavia") until Montenegro finally declared independence in 2006, putting final nail in Yugoslavia-in-everything-but-name's coffin.
"Political region" is too weak. Yugoslav states were countries at least as much as the main divisions of UK are, and those are regularly referred to as "countries" on J!

So what happened? (I didn't watch the show.) Did someone say Serbia and get negged? This is a gray area, because J! usually accepts "Russia" when the correct response is USSR. It would be consistent with that to accept "Serbia" for FR Yugoslavia (but not, of course, for SFR Yugoslavia, which was a completely different country).* Also, "Serbia and Montenegro" should be acceptable for FR Yugoslavia in all contexts except in clues specifically about name changes. (I am sure "Egypt" is acceptable for UAR in the 1961-70 period, and there is no difference.)

* ETA: For the record, I do not think "Russia" should ever be acceptable for USSR or "Serbia" for FRY/S&M. I'm just saying what has traditionally been accepted on the show and what consistency requires.
Long story short, asking the country Milosevic was president of and Serbia was negged.

I don't think there's quite the analogy with accepting other parts for the whole (Russia for the USSR, England for the UK*) because those are in common parlance, right up until Serbian independence in 2006 (ie, even during the days of "Serbia & Montenegro") the country was commonly called Yugoslavia.

*within reason; I would accept "England" for "the country where the Firth of Forth is" or "Russia" for "the country where the Chernobyl disaster occurred"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Long story short, asking the country Milosevic was president of and Serbia was negged.

I don't think there's quite the analogy with accepting other parts for the whole (Russia for the USSR, England for the UK*) because those are in common parlance, right up until Serbian independence in 2006 (ie, even during the days of "Serbia & Montenegro") the country was commonly called Yugoslavia.

*within reason; I would accept "England" for "the country where the Firth of Forth is" or "Russia" for "the country where the Chernobyl disaster occurred"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Milutinovi%C4%87
Serbia, Montenegro and Yugoslavia each had their own president during that window. Milosevic is flat out wrong for 1997 - 2000 because Milutinovic was the president of Serbia, and since Serbia can be ruled wrong outright (See: (Northern) Ireland) you can't BMS or accept it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

bpmod wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I was more or less dumbstruck by FJ. The only thing that crossed my mind was Mark Twain and I knew that was dead wrong.
I didn't. I didn't necessarily think it was right, but it was all I had.

Brian
At least I'm in good company.
Sheepin' it real.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:*within reason; I would accept "England" for "the country where the Firth of Forth is" or "Russia" for "the country where the Chernobyl disaster occurred"
I hope this is a typo and you meant "would not".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gnash wrote:
dhkendall wrote:*within reason; I would accept "England" for "the country where the Firth of Forth is" or "Russia" for "the country where the Chernobyl disaster occurred"
I hope this is a typo and you meant "would not".
'Tis. Protip: my typos increase exponentially when on my iPhone.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Volante wrote:Serbia, Montenegro and Yugoslavia each had their own president during that window.
Same is true for USSR and Russia (well, they didn't call them presidents, but chairmen of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet) at any time during the existence of the USSR. The question is whether "Russia" would be accepted for USSR. It shouldn't be, but I wouldn't bet on it.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

I also thought Mark Twain, knowing I was wrong. My DVR didn't record Jeopardy (local channels weren't working on my Dish), and it wasn't on Youtube yet, so did the game from J Archive. Obviously a little harder as no pictures and sound for a couple of answers.

Lach Trash: Uganda, H.R. Haldeman and Barabbas.

By the way, the Stanford Cardinal, used to be the Stanford Indians from 1930-1972.
Yeshua7
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Yeshua7 »

psgola wrote:I also thought Mark Twain, knowing I was wrong. My DVR didn't record Jeopardy (local channels weren't working on my Dish), and it wasn't on Youtube yet, so did the game from J Archive. Obviously a little harder as no pictures and sound for a couple of answers.

Lach Trash: Uganda, H.R. Haldeman and Barabbas.

By the way, the Stanford Cardinal, used to be the Stanford Indians from 1930-1972.
Hello, I just looked through the written transcript of the October 29 episode. I can see the clues, but I cannot uncover the answers. I missed this episode and was unable to get it recorded, as my friend had some technical difficulties. How do I uncover the answers? Thank you and God bless!